Frustration! Help!

kymba5

Hi everyone, my name is kimberly. My husband gave me the Fairfield Dollhouse for my birthday in 2009. And there it sits. I built it and became very frustrated with the steps. I used a hot glue gun, and what a mess!!!! Yes, I just read NOT to use hot glue. Now it just sits there willing for me to do something, but I am so disheartened with how difficult it is. Now I have to sand it again because of the glue. Having built it, I realize that I should have painted it first but I was so excited. I wanted to make sure I could build it first and thought I would then paint it. I did not glue everything so I could take it apart to paint. Now I'm just frustrated and want it done! Any suggestions? Should I start over? what is the best paint? HOW DO I GET RE-MOTIVATED? Please help!!!! I want to be able to decorate it and display it. Thanks for reading!!!!

Hi Kimberley! Welcome to the forums! Glad you found us. The Fairfield is a very pretty house, but it is (at least for me) difficult to decorate after building. But others have done it, so it can be done. If you built it with hot glue, I would take it back apart, should be pretty easy with the hot glue. Now you have a good idea how it goes together and how it looks, so you can get a feel for how to decorate as you build this time. I would recommend either wood or tacky glue. Oh, and I feel your pain on those stairs! I built them 2 or 3 times before I got them mostly square and straight.

As far as for getting re-motvated, look through the galleries and see pictures of others Fairfields. That'll get you going! :thumb:

Have fun!

Hello, and welcome to the forum!! I'm sorry to hear you are so frustrated with your little house, hobbies are meant to relieve stress not cause it!! If it were me I would take it apart before you get yourself in any deeper, and start over!! This time you will be more aware of what needs to be done and when and things should go much smoother for you. Just as Tracy said go look through the galleries at the faifields that others have made and that should get you motivated!! If you have any questions there are many very talented people here who will be more than willing to help, so take a deep breath and smile because it can only get better from here!! Good Luck, and remember to have fun!!!

Hi Kimberly,

Just want to say welcome. I agree to look through gallerys. gosh, so many creative people here. It does sound to me like a complete redo for you. I've read to use duct tape to dry fit everything as you go and will do that myself. Do you have dremel to sand off hot glue? gently of course.

I am fairly new to all this myself. After collecting 'things' for 14 years I am building an extension on a shell of a home made by someone else. Now with broken arm I am limited to activity so last night started painting on working windows and doors. LOVE my light blue paint to go on white house.

After 5 posts you can create an album so we can keep up with progress.

good luck,

LindaC

My new craft saw photo is in my gallery. Absolutely love it including the small sander attachment. Also have a dremel so I can use either one.

:thumb: Thank you all!!! After I posted and looked at my house I thought: "ya know what? You are going to have to take it apart and re-do" Thanks for confirming that for me! I will approach it with a new outlook this time, consider it a practice build that makes for perfect. I sincerely appreciate your feedback. I am going to the craft store for my "tacky glue" and look into some paint. You all gave me back my inspiration, I am so thankful for that! I will go through all of your galleries and check out your houses. I'll post what I can as I re-move along!!! Thanks again... Have a great day!!!!

Great Kimberley! So glad you are back motivated! Can't wait to see your progress! :thumb: When you're at the craft store, be sure to also look at scrapbooking papers. Sometimes you can find some suitable patterns for wallpaper. They also have solid colors that can work well. Be sure to look for tiny patterns for your house - it is 1:24, or half scale.

Have fun!

Hi Kimberly and welcome to Greenleaf...in the "nick of time" it sounds like! I use rolls of MASKING tape( not duct tape) to dryfit a house.That way you can see what will need to be painted/decorated before glued.And I use Elmer's Wood glue or regular Elmer's Glue and have had good luck! Just go slow,read the directions(I cross them off as I go

along) and have fun! We're all here to inform,help,amuse,and just plain have a good

time! :thumb:

Hi Kimberly and welcome to Greenleaf...in the "nick of time" it sounds like! I use rolls of MASKING tape( not duct tape) to dryfit a house.

gosh LLyn thanks for the 'catch' on my error. of course it's masking tape :-)

If you are taking it apart...use a nice hot hair dryer...that will separate the hot glue from itself...then you can sand off what's left and will be able to begin again...

I built the FF myself, and was doing sooo well...but then it started fighting me, and I put it in the cellar...then my mom bought one that I am putting together for her...I lost inspiration in the beginning of Nov., (real life got in the way, in a big way), but now I'm back on track...

I find it helps me to go through some blogs and see what others have done...the ones I really like are FOV's and More Mini's...they have some great "during construction" images... :thumb:

I find it helps me to go through some blogs and see what others have done...the ones I really like are FOV's and More Mini's...they have some great "during construction" images... :thumb:

Oh yes, Gina's blog!

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2007/03/fairfield-day-1.html

The main page of her blog may be helpful to you to...

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/

Yep, just like they say, tacky glue or wood glue, and TONS of masking tape. i always tape before glueing to dry fit.it just makes things easier and give you a idea what you are going to do when the glue come into play. just relax and if things get tough, turn to advice here, TONS of GREAT people!

:thumb: Thank you all soooo much!!! I am so ready this time!! The hot hairdryer and scrapbooking papers were great tips!!! As well as the others!!! The Fairfield holds a special piece of my heart because during devastating times (divorce) my now ex-husband had my house <victorian and also called the fairfield> foreclosed. Then I met a great guy who lived on "Fairfield" Street. That's why I am sooo determined to get my little house done!!

Thanks again for all the tips, I'll be back (said in my best Arnold Schwarzeneggar voice)!!!

Hi Kimberly,

I am brand new to this forum but wish I knew about it when I was building my Duracraft 'Heritage' - I felt the same way as you did! It was definitely NOT an easy house to build and I felt I would never finish it. . .but I did. Everyone has already given you great advice but I will just add my 2 cents:

• Read the directions all the way through (a few times), before you start again.
  • Do the steps in order but don't be afraid to make changes, such as materials - For example, my kit supplied 'realistic brick' for the foundation but I didn't like the look of it (looked fake), so I used real slate and mortar instead.
  • Read miniature magazines, (Miniature Collector is a good one), and look at the galleries (in this forum), for ideas.
  • Get some decent tools - Your work will go easier and improve along the way.
  • Take your time and do quality work - when you rush, it looks sloppy. Don't skip sanding each piece - possibly more than once!

And as others said, 'have fun'!

Hi ShellA, thanks for your note! Yes, I agree, I should have signed onto this site when the frustration stepped in with the STEPS!!! All the while I was building, I knew I would have to eventually take it apart to paint, but I wasn't sure if I could build it in the first place!! Thanks for your idea of using other materials. I can be creative using other things to achieve the look I want when landscaping, re-modeling, etc. I never thought of that with the dollhouse. I can't wait to cruise through all of the pages for more inspiration! Thanks for taking the time to rejuvenate my enthusiasm. ~Kimberly :)

Now I just have to figure out this site!!! Much more fun than gaming on facebook!!!

Hi Kimberly, I'm glad that you found the forum.

I just looked through your gallery - what a pretty little house! I know that you have a lot of work ahead of you, but just think what you'll have when you're done. :clap:

:)

Welcome to the little family, Kimberly. I recently finished building two Fairfields, one of them insideout as an almost mirror-image, to make two halves of a single house. I am now rebuilding a Pierce that was originally built with hot glue. I took it entirely apart using a heat gun and a metal putty knife to scrape off all the hot glue. I use 2" masking tape and first build the kit with the tape, which we call "dry fit". This helps me decide what to decorate before building, and when. I prime with flat white interior latex paint, sometimes with gesso. I paint with interior latex paints, or I tint satin white interior latex paint with regular acrylic paints to get custom colors. I'm a firm believer in soap & water clean up, and I have paint brushes I've been using for nearly 20 years! I use carpenter's wood glue to build the wooden parts of the kits, and clear-drying tacky glue for the plastic window inserts.

Hi There Kimberly :) Just remember slow and steady wins the race. Take your time and enjoy the process. Follow the advice given and if you steer away from some of it, know that it's ok. That is how we learn new things and come up with new ideas. The Fairfield is such a Beautiful house but starting your first house in halfscale will make you an even better scaled miniaturist IMO. Glad you did not get frustrated to the point of trashing the house because this is really a fun hobby Welcome back to building :clap:

Welcome to the Forum! I also started my first house with hotglue and got so frustrated with it I gave it away for free...now that I think about it that was a horrible descion as it was a Beacon Hill and looking at old pictures it was in great shape even for the hot glue. :) I also have a Fairfield, got the foundation together but lost inspiration so I will definitly watch for your progress to get me started again.

Welcome!! I was given the fairfield by one of our members it had already been built, so i was working in tighter spaces than when it's flat. I did not have all the parts, so I used the houseworks stairs and im so happy i did. So much easier, a little pricier but well worth the time it saves and i love how they look.

There are lots of pictures on the forum for this house and if your looking for furniture i have a list on my blog under my pages for half scale furniture and suppliers.

Jenn

I would like to add all of you as friends for helping to inspire me. I'm learning the forum, so if you could add me in the event I forget someone I would really appreciate it!!! Thanks again! I look forward to viewing your galleries... this is soooo much fun! :)

well, Kimberly, at least you know where all the pieces up till this point will go! Sorry you have to start over, but sounds like you have great motivation! I made my FF a few years ago and really love that little house. There are some photos in my gallery. It is a booger to wallpaper and paint if it's already together, so try to get primer on the inside pieces before gluing the walls together. I especially remember how hard it was to get a paintbrush down the upstairs hallway when I was doing touch-ups. Good luck and enjoy the build!