Frustration! Help!

kymba5

Thank you!! I really am so glad I signed back into this forum! I am also really glad that I built as much as I did, because now that I have, I am slowly taking apart the pieces and painting them. I bought wallpaper and flooring yesterday and I am so excited to get my classes done today so I can work on it!!! Thanks for the tip Gayle about the hallway, I was just looking in there yesterday and thought, oh I think I'm definitely taking this apart to paint. Have a great day!

Hi Kimberly! Welcome!!!! I'm glad you're not giving up on the Fairfield, it's such a wonderful little house. It sounds like, from your story, that it's meant to be. Building a dollhouse can be very theraputic in stressful times, and half scale is a very fun scale to work in. You might want to check out the half scale furniture kits in the Greenleaf store. They are so much fun, and very reasonably priced. If you get stressed, just walk away for awhile and come here to the forum, we'll help you however we can. Can't wait to see and hear about your progress!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been away from here because I've been so busy working on my Fairfield. It is coming along wonderfully and all of you have helped me so much. I have found that I can print out wallpaper and have been busy looking at patterns and pasting/taping. Most important, I finally got the steps done and am so happy with the way they look. That was an accomplishment as no other!!! I am using excess wood for chair-rails, and papers from the craft store for wallpapering too. This is so much fun! It is theraputic and I just cannot stay away from it. I've moved everything to my dining room so I can see the progress. So much fun! Thanks again!!!!

Welcome to the forum Kimberly. Don't fret, it is your first house. I'm only building my second house so I am no expert. I have rehabed a house and I repainted the entire thing without taking it apart. Steps are always frustrating. You can always leave them out or buy preassembled steps. Just be patient, read up on some of the construction blogs, and keep asking for support. You will get it here. :lol:

Hi Stacey, thanks! Just viewed your album, wow ~ Love it! I am so happy I signed back on here before I did my re-do. I'm not happy with how my floor turned out (living/dining rooms) but I'm working on it slowly. Thanks for the friend request, I love this site and everyone's pics!

Hi Kimberly,

Hang in there! I have been working on my buttercup how for a LONGGG time embrassed to say almost 2 years. I know about frustration. I started working on it and got frustrated and walked away. Some time for weeks if truth be told. I am not an expert this is first house. Like you I regret not painting and lighting it first and I don't have the heart to take it apart and start over. I'm going to try and wallpaper this week. I will keep you posted. Then again I may get overwhelmed and walk away again. However, I did promise myself I HAVE to get this house done before the hubby deploys again in June. -- Janet

lol @ happyconfusednavywife! With that humor you should be able to move right along! I did take my house apart. Like you, I built it in 2009, got frustrated and that was that. The great members here suggested to take it apart, which I did not have the heart to do but did it. This was extremely helpful in guiding me and giving me confidence in that I knew where everything had to go. My husband keeps saying "You'll never finish" more to give me a challenge I think than anything. He also does not realize the detail I am putting into it now (chair rails, inside fireplace background, etc.). all he see's is pieces of the house that are painted or wall-papered. I can say without a doubt, if I can do this, so can others! It is alot of work and I do want to light it so I most likely won't put it together permanently until then.

Good luck with yours and seriously, for a boost of inspiration, cruise through everyone's photo's. They are all awesome!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I totally....100% feel your pain...I feel like I could have written most of your post with a few edits....mine is a Garfield and I got it for Christmas....lol. I gave up on my house for a whole year before I started up again this year. I found this forum and it has been a great inspiration to me. Also, going to stores that sell supplies I need is a great way to change the scenery :-) I shop it off lol

I now take it one day at a time and go slow and read a lot of tips and tricks before attempting things out of my scope. I have made many mistakes but so far none that could not be fixed in one way or another.

I now walk away when I feel myself getting frustrated...it IS a HOBBY after all.....sometimes I forget.

Good luck with your progress keep pictures coming. :)

Thanks Angelica, I think most people are overwhelmed when they start their first dollhouse! Just seeing all the wood sheets is disheartening. But, you are right, signing on here and viewing the galleries, asking for tips, really did help me immensely! My house is coming along quite nicely. Like you, I have made errors but they are fixable. The one's that aren't add character (lol). I found new sites that I can download wallpaper and use that was so exciting!! Of course, I've had to replace my printer cartridges much sooner than usual! But it IS so much fun!!!

Thanks for reminding me that making this house is a "hobby." I have taken pics of my kitchen and dining room where there are pieces everywhere and although it's a mess, it is an organized mess. My partner continuously challenges me and that helps, but this site is definately most helpful.

I'm off to check out more pics and see if you have any! :)

LOL, my mess is just a mess most days...I have to take breaks between build/decorating days to just clean my area. Everyday I try to tell myself I am going to clean up after myself each day...it NEVER happens :-P It normally takes me a few hours to reorganize, vacuum, and clean my area once it gets out of control....but I feel much better when it is all clean again.

Today it is very messy....maybe I will clean lol

ohhhh.... it's not a 'nice' challenge, it's a grumble "you'll never get it done; I'm going to buy you a finished one; next year it will look just like this; get the stuff off the dining room table; yea yea, i see it" ... but actually, he's doing this on purpose to challenge me. But now that I know, he needs to find something else like: "I'll buy the furniture" LOL