8/1/06 Too Hot to eat

Wow, that's hot! We don't ever get temperatures that warm here. Actually our weather is fairly moderate (except we can get some real cold snaps in the winter). Summertime temperatures are usually in the 70's.

-Susanne

Several times this summer, we've just had fruit and a salad. The heat just saps the life out of you. It's 10 pm and still 80 degrees but it seems cool after going over a 100 today.

One of the perks to working late nights is that when I make dinner, it's the middle of the night and much cooler. So I do a lot of cooking in the middle of the night, especially on weekends, and just stick it in the fridge or freezer.

When the summer heat really kicks in, I use crockpots to cook things like chicken and roast and stick them in the freezer for salads, casseroles and sandwiches later on. Tonight all I had to do was saute some peppers and onions, toss them in with some pasta and chicken I had cooked ahead, chopped some tomatoes, added a splash of italian dressing and there was a nice, cool pasta salad.

But if I had to cook or eat during the heat of the day, we'd live on melons, sandwiches and salads all summer.

Deb

It has been hot here in CT. It is 9am and it is already 89 deg! Insanity!

We have a 15,000btu (If i remember correctly) AC that cools off the whole downstairs. I have been using the oven but only in the evening when it cools off. Mostly I have fried chicken, raviolis was last nights dinner, corn fritters, homeade pizza (only takes 10 min in the oven), Paninis, hot dogs on the grill, breakfast for dinner. Tonite it is pre-made baked mac and cheese, kielbasa on grill, Morning glory collard greens, and peanut sauce noodles with grilled eggplant. Nothing that requires the oven to be on too long. Usually just stove top stuff.

Funny thing about this heat..My cherry tomatoes outside are ripening every day! I mean all green then next day red! Weird!

... grilled eggplant ...

Heidi ... how do you prepare the eggplant for grilling? I've tried sliced (burned) and halved (cooked to mush). <_< Any tips?

Thanks!

Slice the eggplant in circles about 1/2 inch thick (or thinner or thicker) but not paper thin. Put them in a shallow dish and sprinkle them all with salt and let sit for 15 min. This draws out all the liquid in the eggplant. Rinse off and pat dry.

Have the grill on high and make sure you have put some spray oil on grill beforehand. (spray b4 you turn grill on!)

I put the eggplant on the bottom rack closest to flame. Then I grill. Maybe cause I have them on the thicker side they dont fall apart. I grill both sides until they are soft but still have some firmness to them and good grill marks.

Been in the 90's since Saturday...according to the weatherman, today should be the last day of these hellish temperatures ...we will see! lol! Anyways, on days like these, sandwiches, salads, popsicles and takeout are the definitely the way to go...

Slice the eggplant in circles about 1/2 inch thick (or thinner or thicker)

Thank you. That's what I did. Maybe I just left them on too long. Or maybe rubbing them with olive oil made them burn? Will try again! I'm off to do the grocery shopping, will get some eggplant and try tonight!

After being in the heat all day, DH doesn't really feel like eating so I make it really simple and he doesn't fight with me. I give him a bowl tell him pick a cereal and I pour the milk <_< . And now that I think of it I don't get any fights from the kids either ;) .

I buy alot of cold salads, like greek pasta salad, mozzarella balls in olive oil, cheese ravioli --we had those too last night Heidi! ;) What we do not eat goes in the fridge. Our tomatoes are so big when you slice them they literally are bigger than the bread slice, Chris makes tomato sandwiches for dinner for himself. I cooked rice in the morning, and we eat it a variety of ways all day, along with cukes in ranch dressing or vinegar for a snack. Also yogurt, which is good in the moring for breakfast.

Heidi do you just cut up your eggplant for grilling in slices? I used to make sweet potato fries, and would slice up the sweet potatoes like french fries, then throw them on the grill after an olive oil rub with a dash of cinnamon or brown sugar. I sometimes cook alot of hamburgers in the evening, then bag them up so we use our microwave alot. The heat index reached up to 110 here today! <_<

When it's too hot to eat.. I head for the cool comfort foods. Jello, yogurt (Pina Colada <_< ) Cold cereal - or a glass of milk over ice - yes I know I'm odd - oh and frozen corn is really good too ;)

- David :p

It has been hot here in CT. It is 9am and it is already 89 deg! Insanity!

Funny thing about this heat..My cherry tomatoes outside are ripening every day! I mean all green then next day red! Weird!

Aren't the tomatoes yummy! I love August and September with the vine-ripened tomatoes. One of my favourite foods. I enjoy sliced fresh tomato on a piece of toast. I don't like very many cooked foods ... I'm kind of weird that way. I seldom cook - Ray and I both prefer raw fruit and vegetable salads.

-Susanne

<_< ) Cold cereal - or a glass of milk over ice - yes I know I'm odd -

I also love cold cereals - and in the summertime I pour my milk over ice too!! I call it milk slush!

-Susanne

Cold cereal - or a glass of milk over ice -

I always put ice in my milk. I love it when the milk gets all slushy on the ice. I don't think my dentist likes it very much though <_< . I have a terrible habit of chomping on ice.

SuzyQ

Lisa, I put a longer post on how the eggplant is cooked up top. I slice them, salt them, rinse and pat dry and then just grill them. I dont season them or marinate them at all for the grill. When I grill eggplant it is usually for paninis or to put in a pasta.

Suzq I take that as a compliment! LOL I have a very demanding family (yeah right) and they expect that I will cook something somehow someway. If we are blasted back to the stone ages, I think I will be wearing my elk skin, standing next to a fire pit, figureing out how to carmelize my sugar in a bone bowl!

Suzq I think it is because I was a late in life kid. By the time I came along, my mom had given up in the cooking dept. She made meals but they were bland and uninteresting. My tastebuds were screaming for some excitement. I like to try different things. And when it is HOT AS HADES outside, I try to find things that require lil or no fire to make!

Last nights dinner will become todays lunch leftovers.

Heidi ... I did the eggplant on the grill last night and it was really nice. I used 1/2-3/4-inch rounds, salted then rinsed them. Used no oil on the eggplant, only on the grill. The zucchini strips and green bell peppers were also good without any marinade or oil, and we also had hamburgers stuffed with blue cheese.

Have to admit it was uncomfortable outside for the cooking, but enjoyed by all in the nice air conditioning. <_<

Heidi ... I did the eggplant on the grill last night and it was really nice. I used 1/2-3/4-inch rounds, salted then rinsed them. Used no oil on the eggplant, only on the grill. The zucchini strips and green bell peppers were also good without any marinade or oil, and we also had hamburgers stuffed with blue cheese.

Have to admit it was uncomfortable outside for the cooking, but enjoyed by all in the nice air conditioning. <_<

way to go Kathie!

I watched this cooking show on the food network and it was this guy that does all grilling stuff (not bobby flay) and he showed how to grill the eggplant. I dont remember what his name is.

SuzyQ Posted Yesterday, 10:15 PM Cook? What's that? Do you think I am Heidi or something?
heidiiiii5 Posted Today, 09:10 AM Suzq I take that as a compliment!

Heidi I am glad that you took it that way because it was a compliment. I love to tease.

As you already know my family is way to picky to waste any time or money on anything new. I do add something new little bit at a time though, so I don't put them into shock :p .

So cook away and enjoy it!!!!! <_< ;)

SuzyQ

We usually eat more salads, raw veggies, and I like fruit but Jimmy doesn't, in the hotter times. Our temps have been from 95-105, with 40-50% humidity, which adds an additional 10 degrees for heat index.