Lost Lost 20% of My Starting Weight, No Longer Morbidly Obese

Lynette Smith

I had hoped to be able to post this over a month ago on my birthday, which was a bit ambitious, but then goals should be to motivate one. I consoled myself with the knowledge that I lost more pounds in six months than I had accumulated in my 45 years, which helped take the sting out of reaching that milestone.

Last year I went to the Biggest Loser casting call when it was in town in March, along with 1500 would be contestants. Because of the numbers, it took 8 hours to get seen. I had already waited so long, I resolved I'd stick it out, but not wait for the unlikely chance of getting on the show. I already had the gym membership. Some of the crowd was truly appalling, chain smoking, consuming buckets full of soda, ordering pizzas to the line, and consuming, 3000+ calorie meals.

At the time I was babysitting 12 hours a day, so all I could manage was the occasional visit until June, when my neighbor's temporary job with the census ended.

On June 11, I made it into the gym, worked out, saw a flier for Boot Camp, and went to that the next day.

7 months and 8 days later, I've succeeded in losing 59 pounds, just over 20% of my starting weight. I also left the ranks of the morbidly obese. My last physical's lab results came back normal, including the fatty liver levels which had been problematic for over a year. I haven't had a bad fall since I started, except for a slip in the mud, which could have happened to anyone. My back and joints don't bother me as much either.

I'm celebrating by retiring my 3X tops and bought four 1X tops to work toward fitting into with ease.

Sorry I haven't been on much, I have peaked at the forum to see what's going on, though I haven't posted much. In my family, we tend to get obsessive about things we get involved in and fitness has been mine for some time and those around me are probably getting tired of hearing me spout off about nutrition and exercise.

I want to thank all those who cheered me on in the earlier days when I was posting everything in the exercise thread. At that time, it motivated me to go in to the gym and when I didn't feel like doing another rep or lap. Someone on that thread suggested sparkpeople.com (I don't remember just who, but thank you anyway), which I joined and have been very involved with. Making yourself answerable to others for your actions is probably one of the most helpful strategies for success.

Don't look for me on a future season of The Biggest Loser. At 231 pounds, I have effectively eliminated myself as a viable contestant - the ideal contestant needs to be able to lose 50% of their body weight, my "ideal" weight is less than that mark. Besides, our local boy, Rulon Gardner (two time Olympic medalist) is going to beat everyone out and I wouldn't want to be up against him, except for the motivation!

Congratulations, most definitely something to be proud of! :) I live in an area that obesity is quite prevalent, and not something that too many care to deal with. Type II diabetes is incredibly common, but strikes children as young as 8 because of their weight here. It is odd because this was primarily a farming community and used to be quite healthy, but anymore where farming's gone down hill so has health. Hearing stories such as your own are inspirational to say the very least!

Fantastic News Lynnette! I'm so proud of you and Thank You got posting about your success! You never know who's reading and can be encouraged just by reading your story! Keep it up! You should be very proud of what you accomplished!!