Greetings from NJ

framebb

I hope I'm doing this right to post here under new topic, anyway here goes.

JoAnne here from Hunterdon County, NJ.

Im currently starting to build The Orchid. I guess you could say Im getting antsy to do something now that its all snow covered out there. I have a Hobby Lobby with in a 30 min. drive from where I live and I LOVE to work those 40% off coupons. I wanted to build one of the larger houses HL had but couldnt for the life of me figure out where I was going to put it (I have 2 houses currently) or how I would even move a new one. I picked up a few of the boxes and they were'nt exactly light weights. The Orchid solved all my dilemas in one box. Im just looking forward to seeing it all come together again. I've been trying to get to Lowes or HD for paint but the weather hasnt been exactly co-operative.

Since I've gotten involved in miniatures my new favorite store ( and I am SO fortunate to live within a 15 min. drive) is the Dollhouse Factory in Lebanon, NJ., the owners are fantastic to work with. I am taking a 'class' there in a few weeks to constuct a doll that looks like Audrey Hepburn in the white dress from My fair Lady.

OK enough babble from me, hope I posted correct here,

JoAnne

Welcome JoAnne, sounds like you'll fit in incredibly well with the rest of us addicts. lol What other houses have you built, if you don't mind my asking? The Orchid is definitely a great house with lots of potential(though I think they all have potential, just a matter if we can see it) and I can't wait to see what you may do with it! Good luck and mini welcomes again. :p

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I actually went back to work to fund my new obsession!

So far The Whitney is my complete build, I did try and do a make over on a 1/2 scale kit my Mom bought from a catalog( who's name escapes me at the moment) but I can't do 1/2 scale, my preferemce is the 1:12 scale...easier for my clumsy hands.

Mom was looking for something to do last year so she built The Lily, not haveing room for more then one since she also has The San Franciscan, she gifted me Lily last Easter. I did a make over and built a wall between the living room and dining room. I have to give thanks to my husband for unknowinly supplying me with the building materials thanks to his cigar smoking. I raided the boxes he keeps and used the the cedar sheets they use to divide the layers in shipping.

A side note in case anyone wants to take a budget way out for wall paper. If you go to one of the printable sites and down load a wall paper, pictures or what ever to your computer. You can email it to your local Staples and they can print it out for you. I did this a few times last fall for wooden looking floor papers I used and they came out great.

My biggest question I would put out there is, after you spend sooooooooooooooo many hours building, decorating and in my case bonding with these houses how do you sell them or give them away?? I'd love to do a the Victoria's Farmhouse from Hobby Lobby, but I know I dont have the room. If I did give it to someone I think I'd want visiting rights!

Be safe,

JoAnne

Welcome! You're from my birth state. Was born in Rahway. I purchased 3 houses from HL. The first I struggled getting it to the check out. After that I learned to ask for help and an employee carried it to the front and then put it in my car. After that though I was on my own! Please post pictures of your progress after you have five posts. Janet

Welcome JoAnne! You have a nice collection of houses going so far. :p

As far as parting with houses, I find that if I start a build knowing that it is for someone else, it is much easier to part with it. I can't imagine giving away *my* McKinley, but the 2 I've done for my nieces were for them all the time, so was fine when I gave them to them. Start a project with the mindset of this is going to____ and hopefully it will be better. And just be sure to take lots of pictures!

Have fun with your Orchid!

Welcome to the little family, JoAnne. There are two building blogs for the Orchid. I have built two (one in white plastic) and I have another one someone else built and gave to a charity thrift store when it began to fall apart (built it with hot glue).

...So far The Whitney is my complete build, I did try and do a make over on a 1/2 scale kit my Mom bought from a catalog( who's name escapes me at the moment) but I can't do 1/2 scale, my preferemce is the 1:12 scale...easier for my clumsy hands.
I have arthritis in both hands. Building in 1:24 isn't all that twiddly, just takes time; and no one is in a race, this is a hobby for most of us , not a business.

Mom was looking for something to do last year so she built The Lily, not haveing room for more then one since she also has The San Franciscan, she gifted me Lily last Easter. I did a make over and built a wall between the living room and dining room. I have to give thanks to my husband for unknowinly supplying me with the building materials thanks to his cigar smoking. I raided the boxes he keeps and used the the cedar sheets they use to divide the layers in shipping.
It sounds like you're off to a good start with bashing, already!

A side note in case anyone wants to take a budget way out for wall paper. If you go to one of the printable sites and down load a wall paper, pictures or what ever to your computer. You can email it to your local Staples and they can print it out for you. I did this a few times last fall for wooden looking floor papers I used and they came out great.
One of our members made an album of mini wallpaper printies.

My biggest question I would put out there is, after you spend sooooooooooooooo many hours building, decorating and in my case bonding with these houses how do you sell them or give them away?? ...but I know I dont have the room. If I did give it to someone I think I'd want visiting rights!...
How? To make room for new houses, of course! Pull up a chair and help yourself to some of Teresa's brownies and join in the fun! When you've made five posts you can open albums to share pictures of your houses & builds with us.