Surgery

Selkie

Finally decided to have some surgery on one of my hands. It's scheduled for tomorrow morning. The 3 little grands are pretty scared no matter how much I reassure them. They don't deal well with change, esp. about me. Can't convince them that it's just a small thing and I'll be home before they get home from school. The two littlest ones are afraid I'll never come back or I'll die.

So, they'll do two procedures and if all goes well, I have the use of my ring finger back in a month or so and perhaps by late summer, the nerves may have regenerated enough so I'll have feeling in my fingertips again. It's a long shot but I finally decided it was worth it to give it a try. If it works, I'll have them work on my other hand around May or June and with that one, I'd get my thumb back. Maybe I'll even be able to mini again without excruciating pain - just some normal everyday arthritis pain instead.

Keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer for calmness for the little ones hearts.

Thanks so much.

prayers said for a successful surgery and for the grands to be comforted. Maybe this might be a lesson on how some things work out the way they are suppose to. poor kids to have those fears. Lucky they have you. You have taught them so much already about love.

Praying all goes well for you, Selkie! Surgery is always a daunting thing, but especially so for little ones who don't understand the "why" of it.

Stay strong! You will be in our thoughts here, and please let us know how you are doing when you are able.

Hugs to you.

Typing is incredible difficult right now so this is short and to the point.

I'm alive and home !! (hahaha) Surgery went just fine. If pain is an indicator of results, I'd say we are on a good track !! Grands are much more settled now. They've all checked it out and gotten lots of hugs and snuggles. Brain fog is making me a bit silly acting and they've had a good laugh about that. Won't know how much is actually "fixed" for quite a while cuz it takes a while for the nerves to regrow but as of now, the fingers all wiggle which is a good sign !!

Thanks for thinking of me.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to normal levels of brain fog. Glad to have the anesthesia induced stuff gone. It lasted for about 3 days !!! Freaky feeling.

Stitches came out this week. Got delayed due to a slight infection.

Start some OT in a week and a half. Things seem to be better than I expected them to be. We'll see what the OT thinks after I see her.

Thanks for all the support. It's nice to have a place to call home (Greenleaf)

You've survived so far, that's great! Let's hope your OT can do you some good. In the meantime, spoil yourself as much as possible. Let the kids help you out, I'm sure they want to.