I quit!

Deb

Congratulations to all of you who have quit. I know from watching loved ones how addicting they can be. My dad quit almost a year ago. He had tried when I was little as the doctor said that it was killing me, apparently I'm allergic to the smoke ( made it easy for me to never light up). My mom went cold turkey no problem but my dad couldn't. He was also diagnosed with emphysema years ago but that didn't stop him. It wasn't till he made the decision himself, for himself, was he able to do it. He had a cough that was really worrisome but since he's quit it is gone. I have never been more proud. Now if only my brother would follow the example, he chews AND smokes. *sigh*

My DM quit because she couldn't breathe any more, and she drank perpetually in an effort to ease the discomfort, and she was an RN and supposedly knew better, and she was dead at 61; and now you know why I resisted attending Nursing School until I was 50.

I just saw this post - missed it earlier. I am not a smoker, can't stand the stuff, but I did have to give it a try when I was a teenager. After all, it was what the "cool" kids did! :nono: But I didn't really like it and finally tossed the one pack I had been carrying around for months. But I found myself taking one deep breath after another as I read about your difficulties and health issues! So glad you are finding the strength to quit for good! We're only issued one body in this life and we need to keep it going so we can continue to enjoy dollhouserie! Keep up the good work! :cheer:

Saw this post just now. I have been addicted to smoking from 15 onwards, smoking usually close to a packet a day. But 2 years ago I decided to quit for good after several failed attempts. This time I used nicotine substituting bandaids and I promised myself I would keep sticking them on my arm until I really really didn't think about sigarettes anymore, gradually reducing the dosis. And it worked. It is 2 years ago this month. And yes the first few months are difficult.. I couldn't concentrate on work or anything else for some time, slept badly, dreamed about sigarettes. Don't let anybody tell you it's easy, but it can be done. And now 2 years later, I wonder why I ever smoked... So lots and lots of strenght for all you quitters!! Think of the money you save and how many mini's you can buy with it.. The first months I saved up the money I saved on buying sigarettes and promised myself to buy something nice with it...

• Like 1

Congratulations to those of you who have quit or are in the process of quitting. I know it isn't easy, I used to smoke many years ago too but its been so long now I've forgotten just how long. My mother has been a smoker all her life and she lives with us although she goes outside to smoke - even in the snow (into a little porch). At 91 years old she is never going to quit but I hate the smell that hangs round her when she comes back inside and when she empties her dog ends into the kitchen bin I have to take it outside to the dustbin straight away.

Maybe a little late in the game to say it, but I'm saying it anyway... I used Chantix when I first stopped smoking, but had terrible side effects with it. Meanwhile I had had no cigarettes for a week or so, and just figured that if I lasted a week, I could kick this! So, if I could do it, anyone can -- yes, even you, Steve! Everything has a side effect!!! I'm find out now, much to my unhappiness, that the oxycodone that made all pain go away (severe arthritis) is also a respiratory depressant, and I can't walk from one room to another without stopping to catch my breath. I just hope I last long enough to finish my houses! Isn't that a kick in the ___!

It's been one year, two months, three days and 4.5 hours since my last cigarette. My dad used to say that you knew you'd completely beaten the habit when you forgot your last cigarette and even after 50 years, he could still tell you the very minute he took his last drag. He'd also stand downwind of smokers any chance he got because he never stopped loving the smell of it. I'm like my dad that way and I'm sure I'll never forget my last one or stop wishing that I could have another but the main thing is that I won't. When I quit, I quit for good. The e-cigs have done the trick for me because it gratified my need to perform the physical act of smoking without actually smoking. All the e-cigs are is a neat little hit of water vapor delivered in the same way an asthma inhaler works. I slowly backed down the amount of nicotine that I was using until all I was using was a flavored vapor......and I gradually transitioned from my old menthol habit to fruit flavors and my very favorite vapor flavor.....Mt Dew! Eventually, it was nothing like smoking at all and I'd officially kicked the habit.

Now I only use the e-cigs once in a blue moon and even that's happening less and less. I always keep one charged and at hand for "emergencies" so I won't ever give into the urge for a real cigarette. To be perfectly honest, there haven't been a lot of physical changes for me but with all the other health issues going on, it's impossible to separate symptoms. The main thing is that I know it's better for me and that the danger of dying of emphysema decreases every day. Bruce still smokes but only in the garage so while he may not have quit, he's cut his consumption down by 2/3 from where he used to be and that's something.

I'm find out now, much to my unhappiness, that the oxycodone that made all pain go away (severe arthritis) is also a respiratory depressant, and I can't walk from one room to another without stopping to catch my breath. I just hope I last long enough to finish my houses! Isn't that a kick in the ___!

Quite a few of the medications that I'm on are respiratory depressants (what my pulmonologist calls "slow breathing") and one of the strokes hit the part of my brain that controls breathing so sometimes my brain "forgets" to tell my lungs to inhale. Even when I'm on the oxygen concentrator, my ox sat will suddenly drop into the 70% range for no apparent reason. But Holly told me that we can't die as long as we have dollhouse kits waiting to be built and the other plus side to that is that when I'm busy building, I don't think about smoking as much. That's a win-win!

Deb

I smoked my last cigarette on November 17, 2009 outside of the hospital before I was going in for my herniated back surgery. I havent picked up another since and do not plan to.

• Like 2