Swan House Miniatures

MerriMagic

Well, here's an update on an issue I have with Swan House miniatures.

A month ago, I ordered two simple items: Wallpaper, and two small resin castings of the Greenman, for addition to a fireplace.

So far, no merchandise. I've written them twice, both times they replied "Your merchandise will be shipped next week.". Well, that time has come and gone, and no merchandise.

I wrote them and asked for a refund. Well, no refund has been forthcoming either. They also did not respond at all to my third email. No reassurance that it might have been shipped, nor a reply for my request for refund.

My next step will be to petition Visa to have my money returned to me, but knowing all the bureauracy involved, I seriously doubt I will recover my money. I seriously doubt I will see any part of my order either. The offhandedness and brevity of the responses to my queries now gives me an insight as to how much they care about their customers and their own deadlines and needs.

So just a warning. This is a well known crafter in dollhouse circles. I know they travel to shows, but unless they are prepared to ship an item within a reasonable time, and freely communicate with customers if there is any kind of issue, they shouldn't be selling anything online.

And if something has to be special ordered, they should state that on their website, next to the items of concern, and pending a backorder, the customer should be given the courtesy of an upfront alert to this condition.

HBS does a wonderful job of communicating with it's customers..and they don't hesitate to respond to queries, either. Swan House could take a lesson from them.

Both times I wrote Swan House, I recieved one-liners back..dashed off hurredly, and if I hadn't pressed the issue of something being backordered, likely I wouldn't have been given any reason at all for my merchandise being a no-show.

I'll keep you updated as to whether I ever recieve my merchandise or not, but in the meantime I'd hesitate before pressing that Buy button, before ordering something from them. Much of their merchandise is quite pricey. I'm out only a few dollars (although in my monetary condition, a few dollars is a fortune to me), but to be out anywhere from a hundred to several hundred dollars for any item would be for me, a real setback.

Oh yes, not long ago, I set a post concerning a lovely wallpaper I admired on the cover of a minitures mag. Someone said I should write them, and they'd likely be glad to tell me what the name and maker of that wallpaper was.

So far, that request hasn't even been dignified by an answer. I wrote a very nice letter admiring their work, and actually all I wanted was the name of the manufacturer..even just a name tucked into an email would have been sufficient...but nope, nary a reply.

So I guess my message is, before ordering from any online store, I'd ask around and see if I could find someone who's ordered from them before. Fame doesn't necessarily confer reliability when it comes to being a merchant...and in many cases, it can even bring civility into question. Sometimes, the bigger they are, the less they concern themselves with the 'little people'.

Maybe it's just us New Yorkers, I am currently waiting for a refund from a website that I have had no past experience with. I don't want to mention the name of the site yet, (still giving snail mail a few more days), but after I placed the order and my credit card was charged, a week went by. I received an email stating that my money was being refunded and that she was dropping it in the mail. She gave me no reason for canceling the order. But like I said I"m still waiting for the refund. I sent an email asking if she was going to send me a check or just credit back to my card. I did pay through paypal, but did it as being a guess, not as a member.

I did ask here if anyone had every dealt with this site, but nobody had replied that they did.

MerriMagic I wish you the best of luck with your order.

Hi, I have ordered 3 times from Swan Miniatures within the last year and had no problems with orders until the last one in Dec. I did not receive 4 sheets of wallpaper and some stucco grit. There apparantly were problems with the supplier(wallpaper). In the end I was credited for the grit and wallpaper. In addition, I received the grit from Swan House without charge and the Itsy Bitsy wallpaper was sent to me directly from Itsy, without charge to me. At times communication seemed a little slow but I always had a response. Janet

Big hug Jeanne and lots of sympathy. Its horrible to feel that you have been ripped off but businesses are only a success when they truly care about their customers - after all who would recommend these guys after hearing your story. I hope that things do work out for you but am pleased that it wasn't a huge order.

Here's hoping.

Just wondering if this order is coming from overseas. I did not look up the company. Im in canada and when i ship oversea's it takes from 4 weeks to 8 weeks depending on how the post feels like delivering. I only send air now which is faster.

If customers ask about del, i always give a very nice response. No short answers as i have also had this done to my by a seller.

I would send a few more emails asking if they recieved your previous emails and the date you item was shipped out and what form of shipping it was sent.

I have also dealt with sellers that were just bad at handling emails, but this also goes two ways. I have also had curt demanding emails from one or two customers. I just think they dont realise they are being curt, or at least i choose to think that. lol

hope things work out.

jenn

Thanks Amy..I didn't see your post (not sure why) but if I do in the future I certainly will answer it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but it's a big decision for me to choose to order something..my resources are very limited. I took a chance on HBS because so many folks order from it, and was very pleasantly surprised by their promptness, as well as the way they handle problems.

Perhaps there should be a pinned topic stating the rating of some of these websites. After all, it doesn't take but a short while to put up a store..anyone can do it easily. But following up on orders is another matter, and sometimes even the most notable of crafters may not be a good merchant to buy from, online. Out of sight, out of mind, as they say. To purchase something from a crafter over a table at a mini show is safe: You see the item you're going to buy, and you pay for it and get the merchandise immediately.

I used to sell on Ebay, and prided myself on my reputation. Ebay has a rating system that I think is very good. Shame there's no way for us to rate minimakers..but a pinned topic would allow us to start a post about a given company, and then we could rate it as we do business with them. Just a simple rating, nothing elaborate.

Then perhaps more of us can keep from being burned.

Addendum. No, Jenn, this is an American firm. Thanks for asking.

As to others' transactions with SH, I have recieved no offers to credit my account, and want none. I want my money back. I had to drag a communication out of this seller, and then it was so brief as to be rude. "You'll get your merchandise in a week." ..as if it were an effort to respond. I take great pains to make sure I don't offend a seller, by being both polite, and a trifle overnice, actually. I'm beginning to wonder if they think this signals timidity, so they can push a bit more.

I'll get it in a week? Really? How lovely. I still don't have it.

Now I'm so turned off to this seller that I want nothing to do with them. Again, if something must be special ordered from a company, it should be on the website...or there's a backorder, that should be communicated to the customer asap. HBS is a much larger dealer and they don't seem to have any problems with communication.

It must be the time of season...because I've seen a lot of this going on...(though my own personal issue has to do with the items not arriving yet because they were sent from overseas...however the seller is very communiative with me...)

This is just another reason why I am soo overly cautious of where and whom I purchase from online...

I'm sorry this is happening to you...I wish the best that it will work out...

If you used a credit card rather than a debit card, a charge back should be easy to get with a call to the cc company. I've had to charge back 2 different things over the years and the credit card company credited my account right away. I've also dealt with this from the business end. Credit card companies almost always side with the cardholder in small disputes. This is why I try never to use my debit card online. My bank will not credit my account until the business has issued a refund. Sorry for your bad transaction, frustrating!

Jeanne, I'm usually very cautious about ording online as well. Whenever I see something from an online store that I've never ordered from before I always come here and ask about it. That's how I found out about HBS and I love it. There are a few sites that I've come to love as well, and they all came from recommendations from people here. Last month I did ask about one site that nobody from here as used before, took at chance and order and that transaction could not have gone any better. Had my item in my hands 4 days after I placed the order. It came from CA. Than I decided to take another chance on a different site. Came here first, asked about it. Nobody had ever ordered from them, but still took a chance. Now I waiting for a refund check, for an order that they cancelled and never explained why and has ignored emails from me. I still have to wait a few more days before I can really get upset about it though. Life is full of chances I guess.

In the matter of small purchases, I agree that I'm likely not going to see my money refunded, because yes, I used a debit card. My husband and I only have one credit card, and it's for big ticket, emergency items or business related items (He uses it, for example, in his Real Estate business, like for gasoline because he's on the road a lot), only. We don't want to run it up in tiny charges.

The best defense we can project is a united one. If you're not sure about a company, ask around. If you have a bad experience, let others know. This is why I feel a situation like the one I've come into, is one that needs retelling. You may choose to order from SwanHouse later, but at least you are warned, and can possibly avoid mistakes that I might have made.

I think from now on before I order from a company, I'll make a call if possible, and find out a little bit more about their policies. I might place a small order to see how they handle it.

I'm just glad I didn't order an expensive piece from them. Then I would be really furious and feel taken in by someone who supposedly is of good character, placing notable ads for their merchandise in minatures magazines, and being praised by them. I suppose that is why I feel doubly frustrated.

I for one, would love to see us all protect each other. If someone asks about a company, and you've had a dealing with them, pro or con, please answer that post. Even if you've never dealt with them..a company that is relatively unknown can then be approached with caution, rather than impunity.

Bless Ernie for his fine website. I'm going to write him and ask if he would consider carrying more wallpaper items. At the moment, the pickings of wallpaper on his site are not large. Perhaps it's because it would use extra space up in the catalogue, that he cannot afford. Perhaps Wallpaper in general is a dicey industry, with special orders being the norm instead of the usual easy obtainability.

I don't know about this..but I will also ask him, if he does special orders. If I have a good, reputable company that special orders something for me, and the time is projected to be long..I can deal with that. I know in advance.

But to be kept in the dark by a retailer is just plain wrong. Especially online, where scams are more than normally common.

LOL I guess we need the equivilent of a Miniature BBB...Better Business Bureau.

Thanks for listening, all. And I hope I've saved someone else from an order gone wrong or missing.

Now, here's another company, and this time I'm asking if anyone's had good luck with them. Earth and Tree looks very promising, and they have lots of wallpaper. Has anyone ordered from them, with happy results? I'd really feel better if I knew someone who's placed successful orders in the past.

I'm sorry your things didn't come through. That's a huge disappointment. It's so fun to look forward to things coming in the mail or FedEx or whatever. I think it's even more true if you don't order very often.

A couple of thoughts--

If the company is not coming through with the merchandise(and this company is obviously not), you should lodge a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Sometimes that will job loose a refund. Sometimes it won't. But at least it's doing something.

And when I order online, I use a Visa gift card. You can register a gift card so you can use it online like a regular credit card. Granted, it cost an extra five dollars for a $50 gift card, but I'd rather pay the extra than use my actual debit or credit card online. I don't trust internet security enough for that. I'm paranoid. Oh well. :kicking:

I am really sorry about the problem you are having. There is no excuse for the lack of communication. I believe Swan House Miniatures has two seperate stores- Swan House Miniatures and Swan House DIY. My first 2 orders were from Swan House miniatures and had no problems. My 3rd order was from SH-DIY and I had to register seperately for that sight. Maybe the problems are arising from the order processing persons at that sight. Was the terse communication you received from Greg the owner? If not then, contacting him R/T to the problem as it's important for him to be aware what is happening so changes can be made. I sure hope you have a satisfactory resolution. Janet

Now, here's another company, and this time I'm asking if anyone's had good luck with them. Earth and Tree looks very promising, and they have lots of wallpaper. Has anyone ordered from them, with happy results? I'd really feel better if I knew someone who's placed successful orders in the past.

LOVE EARTH AND TREE!!!

And they are within travel distance for me...so if there are any issues with them I can take it up with them personally!!! :kicking:

I have not only bought in store, but also purchased online...they are awesome...Kari communicates very well, Janeen is super helpful...and they always respond to your emails...there's about 3 people that will answer emails there...

They are a wonderful place to deal with...I shy away sometimes, only because I know with a HBS sale, I can get it cheaper...but they also carry a lot of items that HBS does not... :p

I would also send the owner an email, it's always good to let a company know that your not happy with your transaction.

Hope you recieve either your merchandise or refund soon, i would also check with paypal about reporting non delivery.

I have come late to this discussion and so was surprised to hear you were having problems with Swan House. I have dealt with them on a couple of occasions over the past few years with absolutely no problems and the service was prompt, professional and excellent. I am surprised that there was this problem. I hope things are resolved and you get your money back soon.

As for Earth and Tree, they are super top notch folks. They are a couple of hours away from me but I drive up there a couple of times a year, usually spring and fall to shop. Just wish I lived closer. I also order on line and have never had any problems. They are a complete service dollhouse shop. The owner's husband who died a year or so ago used to design and build the kits or completed houses they offer and now I believe it is the son in law is doing that. I have visited Ron's in Florida and these folks are just a notch below him and they are on line!

Earth & Tree is wonderful! I have been doing business with them since 2002. They are wonderful in peson, on the phone, and via email. For one phone order, I described to Kari the things I was looking for and she took her phone and went through the store describing what they had! I bought things sight-unseen that day and was not disappointed.

They also answer any dollhouse questions you might have.

:kicking:

Jeanne, I'm so sorry that you haven't received your merchandise. :kicking:

All I know is that I have never had a problem with Swan House Miniatures. In fact, they have been overly accommodating. They have let me exchange items, they have given me credit, etc.

I do know that they have been in the process of moving which should not affect your order, but sometimes it does.

I hope you get your merchandise soon, or at least, a credit.

Like I said, this is very surprising because Swan House Miniatures usually has excellent customer service.

Rehi, everyone.

It was Greg, both times, who answered my query. I'm waiting a week more to see if my merchandise shows up, and then I will give him a call. That will be my last straw. If a phone conversation doesn't do it, I will most certainly file a complaint.

Glad to hear that Earth and Tree is a good company to work with! I like their wallpapers fine.

And Mary, what a good idea about a gift card! I will do that in the future when dealing with a new company! It's worth the five bucks to test an initial transaction.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

I've ordered from Earth and Tree, and they were good but if you live internationally, their postage is VERY expensive. I was quite shocked, and I order everything internationally so am used to shipping fees.

I agree that International postage is dreadful..You'd think that since it's so much easier to get back and forth, and since ships nowdays are so HUGE, that fees wouldn't be quite as much as they are.

But if I see something I want, really, REALLY want, I'll likely pay that postage. I wouldn't buy frequently, thought...it would have to be something so special I couldn't get it here. Something that qualifies as art, rather than mundane materials.

I'd expect to have a much longer transit time too, given the issue about dangerous materials that might be hidden in packages..

Hm..so since everything has to be monitored..perhaps the cost IS justified after all. Darn it, LOL!

Jeanne, if they've told you "one week" twice and the goods haven't arrived yet, why are you giving them another week?

Pick up the phone and find out what's going on.

This is why I stick to ebay whenever I can! A lot of online websites (dollhouse shops) also have an ebay store. When I order from the ebay store rather than the website I always get faster service AND cheaper shipping (from the same company). Thats because they know they have to be more accountable because of ebay ratings.

I was going to place a pretty large order with them for doors and windows but now I am worried after reading this.....I had already had a somewhat negative experience with them and was willing to give them another chance. Now I am not so sure. Please keep us posted. When they left out part of my order they simply refunded my money and never responded to me until a week later so I had to look back at my statement and sure enough I had the credit back to my card. Good luck.