Is It Just Me???

bmatson

Truth be told....dolls freak me out. Just being in their presence (mini or otherwise) does not do me well. I have always been that way, even when I was a kid. So I find it quite ironic that I am working on a DOLLhouse (which is coming along quite splendidly by the way). Surely I am not the only person who feels this way. Is there anyone else on this forum who feels the same way? Or do normal fellow doll haters just avoid the hobby completely, so as not to be bombarded with dollness? :kicking: I guess mine will be a doll-less-house.

I'm not bothered by dolls at all, but in my dollhouse want realistic looking ones, which tend to be harder to find or more expensive. So my houses are happily occupied by animals - sylvanian family/calico critters or Elliot Elephants - though only in one has the furniture actually been made shorter to accomodate their size :kicking:

Most dolls don't creep me out, but I know what you mean. I have always been creeped out by mascots, giant Disney characters, clowns, Santa Claus... etc. People dressed up as something-over- the-top and in-your-face, especially if they are out of proportion.

The beauty of doll houses is that you can absolutely enjoy them without the dolls. You can be creative, work with the architecture, interior decorating, and landscaping on lots of houses where in real life, we don't usually get that opportunity. Plus it is fun to build them.

Nope, it is not at all weird to not like dolls but enjoy dollhouses.

Most dolls don't creep me out, but I know what you mean. I have always been creeped out by mascots, giant Disney characters, clowns, Santa Claus... etc.

I'm the same way, mascots and CLOWNS always scared me as a kid, and even now I still don't like clowns. Oh, and those antique dolls with the porcelain head and teeth showing can be a little creepy.

But I love dollhouse dolls. The ones that I can afford do take away from the realism of my houses, but I still enjoy posing them in different scenarios, and coming up with their life stories.

I like dolls including miniature ones, but I've seen MANY MORE beautiful mini scenes that have no dolls in them. It's a challenge to get a doll that is in proportion, appropriately and realistically dressed and wigged and they do get very, very expensive. And placing the doll in the scene so that she, he or it "looks right" is probably an art form of its own.

Very often a dollhouse or a mini scene is better off without the dolls.

Bottom line - do what you like. If you don't like dolls, leave them out and continue making beautiful minis that you enjoy!

I make dolls but I know what you mean about some of them being creepy (I've made a few myself) I would rather see a dollhouse or miniature scene with no dolls than unrealistic dolls. There is a world of difference between the mass produced dolls and handsculpted ones but I have also seen some really good resin ones that are reasonably priced. Dolls do add a sense of life, colour and vibrancy to a scene if they are the right type of dolls. I think the creepiest are the straight legged dolls that lean against walls or furniture because they either won't stand alone or won't bend realistically to sit on a chair.

Take a look at some of the dolls this lady makes

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/al...0&aid=50416

or James Carrington's work

http://www.jamescarringtondolls.com/index....=3&Itemid=3

I'm the same way, mascots and CLOWNS always scared me as a kid, and even now I still don't like clowns. Oh, and those antique dolls with the porcelain head and teeth showing can be a little creepy.

But I love dollhouse dolls. The ones that I can afford do take away from the realism of my houses, but I still enjoy posing them in different scenarios, and coming up with their life stories.

Oh, yes, me too. Mr. Peanut used to scare me. Stores used to have Mr. Peanut walking around now and then. *shudders*

I think, with dolls, it's the almost-human, but not quite, aspect that gives a person the creeps. Dolls don't bother me in particular, but I can sure understand how they could. I'm picky about dolls, anyway. So maybe many dolls do creep me out, and I'm avoiding even thinking about them.

No dolls at all is fine.

Animals are cute in mini houses! I love the cats Wolfie makes. I'm wondering if anybody has found stuffed animals that are the right size. Muriel, is that what you're talking about? Are those particular kinds of stuffed friends that fit inside mini houses?

I have always loved dolls, as my grandmother (who got me into minis) also was a doll collector and did wigging, some restoration, painting, dressing, etc. BUT I also am a little afraid of the old fashioned ones where their teeth show and the eyes look like they are not focused on anything. Also my grandmother had a Howdy Doody doll that scared the heck out of me when I was little. I also do not like clowns.

I love miniature character dolls, though. I can totally see how many people would be creeped out by dolls, especially since so many are soooo strange looking! I think it's just fine to enjoy the minis without the dolls. For my houses, personally, I want only realistic looking dolls and those of course are way out of my budget. But I can dream, right? In the meantime I enjoy building and decorating the house. :kicking:

I don't find them creepy (unless its a room full of dolls like Amy said), but I do know how you feel. For me, having a doll in a dollhouse makes it look less real.

On the flip side, I really enjoy and collect some of the mini asian ball jointed dolls. The houses aren't really made for them (even though they can fit in the scale) but being a big anime geek, I do like to have them in my scenes on occasion.

i don't like dolls because if they arent really good ones they take away from the realism of the house. i have a few dolls but i mainly use them for proportions and scale, they dont usually occupy the spaces. i do like those resin figures though...

This is a really interesting topic.

While I love creating a story behind my dollhouses, I really am hard put to place dolls in them, because if the dolls don't look exactly as I picture them, they become what they really are..stuffed manniquins.

I love the well sculpted dolls, like Jo's, and if I saw one that fit any of my characters exactly, I probably would buy it, just to have. In fact if I were well-to-do I might become her best customer, LOL...

I might make my dolls myself, too..but I'm not sure how much time they'd spend in that dollhouse.

Does that sound wierd? My reasoning is...Once they're placed in the house, our characters become static in nature. They don't move, twirl, sit, stand..so they interfere with the storyline we have in our heads. No longer can we look into the house and imagine them moving around, because oh...they're over there, sitting or standing. The whole scene is suddenly locked up in the moment.

Oh yes...I had a doll once, that I bought to display in my home. She had a heidi look about her..like a swiss girl. She was well made, and at first I liked her...but her upper teeth showed, and were so sharply filed and even, that she disturbed me. I had to put her away. Some of the old Twilight Zone stories about dolls come to mind. "I"m Talky Tina and I don't like you. I'm going to kill you." Those types of stories. She creeped out my 11 year old son, too.

About six months after I bought her, I removed her from my home. *shiver* Those teeth! I wonder how many little girls that doll terrified. Well, she won't, any more, LOL.

I think the creepiest are the straight legged dolls that lean against walls or furniture because they either won't stand alone or won't bend realistically to sit on a chair.

Your not ''dissin'' my Snodgrass family are you :kicking: Most of them were always drunk and falling over :p

I hated them so much they are all in a box :) just a few cute babies and kids left in the house...all unsupervised!!! Shocking!!! :D

...I might make my dolls myself, too..but I'm not sure how much time they'd spend in that dollhouse...Once they're placed in the house, our characters become static in nature. They don't move, twirl, sit, stand..so they interfere with the storyline we have in our heads. No longer can we look into the house and imagine them moving around, because oh...they're over there, sitting or standing. The whole scene is suddenly locked up in the moment...
Some of us make our dolls, and make them posable so that we can play with them and move them and reposition them so they fit with the "story line". Dolls are part of the build the house tells me it wants.

On the other hand, I've always been a doll person and none of mine creeped me out, even my toothy Shirley Temple doll. This is an interesting topic.

I like to have inhabitants in my houses, even if they are not totally realisting looking (like unbending resin, for example). The houseboat has frog Calico Critters. The pottery shop has no inhabitant, mostly because I haven't felt like tackling a white lab coat for a potter to wear. The quilt shop has plastic bendy people who were redressed; I don't mind them not appearing totally realistic; I don't know why for sure. My favorites, however, are the two Marie Laveaus and the lovely Sophia, made by Gina (Wolfie), unposable but beautifully executed and very realistic.

On the other hand, the Mardi Gras roombox has no inhabitant, and that doesn't bother me. The bed's rumpled, streamers and a drink cup are on the floor .. I'm guessing the inhabitant is in a little room down the hall at the moment. :blink:

Your not ''dissin'' my Snodgrass family are you :blink: Most of them were always drunk and falling over :)

I hated them so much they are all in a box :D just a few cute babies and kids left in the house...all unsupervised!!! Shocking!!! :p

LOL Linda, did you have a set of creepy dolls. Must admit I have a few myself but they don't get let out.

Because of my budget, I do like the resin dolls--always repainting them and making them hats. When my kids were younger, we watched the movie based on the book "Dollhouse Murders". The dollhouse dolls acted out a murder that took place in the house. My kids were so creeped out, they gave my dollhouse and it's people a wide berth for quite awhile! LOL! They are all grown up now and still mention it once in awhile. It's funny how my Marine son can watch "Alien vs Predator" and still be creeped out by a dollhouse lady pulling books off a shelf in a dollhouse!

I am a doll girl! At first, I did not like dolls in the dollhouses, but now I have changed my mind.

I think houses look great without dolls, you are able to admire the architectural details and other room furnishings, but I have come to also enjoy houses with dolls or animals in them as well.

I can see how some dolls inspire some people with stories and that's what I love about this hobby - everything works. Some with dolls and some without dolls.

Ohhhh scary dolls. Remember the "Puppet Master" movies? "Bride of Chucky"? And all the old Twilight Zone episodes about dolls and Ventriloquists' dolls?

ACK! :):blink::p

Animals are cute in mini houses! I love the cats Wolfie makes. I'm wondering if anybody has found stuffed animals that are the right size. Muriel, is that what you're talking about? Are those particular kinds of stuffed friends that fit inside mini houses?

The Elliot bride and groom pair are stuffed, but are about 3.5-4 inches high, the calico critter/sylvanian family animals are about 3-3.5 inches high. So they're a bit short for 12th scale, but look cute anyway I think. The Elliots wedding reception scene is the one where the furniture is all a little shorter for them.

gallery_2387_4298_136180.jpg

post-2387-1299624542_thumb.jpg