Teens!

heidiiiii

Okay, this has been a good morning!!!

Nat (who is 12) has been obsessed with getting a piercing. Now I am liberal parent (but strict!) and did indulge her and let her get her nose pierced last year. She has always had problems with her ear piercings and I was glad she had this done. She keeps her face clean, and her nose ring. And it looks good on her.

I had decided in my head that THAT piercing would be it. Until she was old enough to get it herself that was it.

LSS..she has been obsessing about getting her tongue pierced!!! EWWWWWWW! No! No! No! No!

Dh (lovely dh) kinda sorta said he didnt care to her! He basically gave permission!!!!

Good news! I emailed the piercer. She emailed back and gave a detailed email for Nat to read. Stating she wont pierce anyone over the age of 14. Teeth arent developed enough, etc etc etc. She will only pierce ears and in rare instances noses. Otherwise the kid cant get it!!! YIPPEEEE

(i thanked her in gushes)

Nat read the email and stomped off! LOL I dodged it. I was never going to let her do it, but I needed someone outside of the home to say something. The piercer did it! YAY!

NEXT TRAUMA....... :lol:

Oh Heidi! aren't you relieved? I don't have children and don't realize how difficult these things can be, but you did the right thing. This way you don't look like the bad guy and maybe in two years tongue piercing will have gone the way of all fads. You can only hope!

TEENS! AHHHHH! The most stressful years of my life. I have 4 daughters, all adults now, oldest 29, 27 and twins now 24. I survived the teen years....barely. They all turned into very nice people but when they were in their teens I thought they wouldn't make it to be adults... :lol: Been through all that stuff...piercings, tatoos etc. We are empty nesters now AND LOVING IT!

this is sooo funny a topic to read at this moment!

I am actually minutes away from Taking Catriona to get her nose Pierced.

she has been begging me for the last 3 yrs and since she is starting Sr.High and alot of her firends have it done...I gave in...how can I say no when I have had my own done and I like the way it looks also(weird huh?)

she has been so much help with my Gran this summer and I think a small reward is in order.

I hope all goes well...and if it does I may get mine done again also.

but the tounge ...I will not consider! she will have to wait till she is 18 and can pay for it herself....but she has stated she doesnt think that is for her.(GOOD)

have a great day!

nutti :lol:

Most people dont think kids should have piercings (even ears). I found out the reason Nat was having so much trouble with her ears.

NEVER EVER EVER get your ears pierced with a gun. It does damage to the lobe from the pressure it gives. Plus it is hard to have them disinfected. That is why she kept getting infections! Her second holes had to be taken out by a surgeon! The skin had closed over the earrings! Ewww!

I like the look of the nose ring and I was okay with it. They use a long hollow tip needle and she had NOT one problem with it.

I just have a major problem with kids messing up their faces with piercings. It is something you have to really think about! Really Think about! I think of it along the lines of a tattoo!

And I dont care what you say but tongue piercings give me the willys! If it came down too it, I was NOT going to be present when it was done.

But I am soooo glad the woman did that in the email. I even emailed her and told her thank you thank you thank you...LOL

I may take her still and have her ears done again. Try to do the second holes or if she wants cartilage done. I am such a weird mom... Please and thank yous always! Blue hair and body piercings..sure!

Ohh this is so funny, I've been wanting my nose pierced and a neck tattoo for years now and even though I never did do it, (I still might) my kids are such prudes. They wouldn't ALLOW me to do it. I would love to shock them one day. :lol:

well we are back and it is done!

looks cute! of course we had along two of the friends so once again I am regulated to the cool mom status instead of the witch with a b :D :lol: ...kid has been grounded from phone and friends most of the summer.

Ohh this is so funny, I've been wanting my nose pierced and a neck tattoo for years now and even though I never did do it, (I still might) my kids are such prudes. They wouldn't ALLOW me to do it. I would love to shock them one day. :lol:

I have a tattoo on my ankle I got when I was 30...Ive had my eybrow peirced before I had my glasses

let it grow back when I got them. I have my cartlidge done a couple of times

last summer I had my nose done...but I let it grow back after I lost the jewel out of it and couldnt find another I liked soon enough. and I have a ladybug on my neck.

I had to lol at the allow thing!

you are 21 and old enough to do it if ya want! go for it!

I plan on having another tattoo done to celebrate birthday 45 or 50

a nice big one that will reach out and slap ya! :D

I enjoy looking at tastefully done tats and most peircings do not bother me as much as they did

I guess I became imune to them when my middle son decided that peircings were his thing.

I asked him where did he think he would find a job all decked out like that?

oh did I mention the dreadlocks...now this is quite a feet for a white boy with straight hair(no offense to anyone please)

he now keeps tthe hair very short...of course Im not sure which was worse because with the goatee he looks like one of them guys from a hate group. when we went to Alabama last year we stopped for gas and this woman who had been getting gas went accross the street and parked got out of her van and yelled at him...he looked and she took his photo. oh did I mention he is 6ft 4in and weighs 230 lbs and in the winter wears a full length black leather trench coat...and shorts!

so somewhere a woman has a photo of my son decked out in dreads full facial peircings and his black coat and shorts.

bet that makes interresting conversation. :lol:

oh kids do make life interresting! dont worry this kid is my gentle giant! wouldnt hurt anyones feelings if he can avoid it...is a very good daddy and is down to one earring..of course its one of those plugs... :lol:

they guy who did Catriona's peircing reminded all of us of my son.

but he was short and full of tats as well!

wendy I say if ya want it go for it...who says they gotta know. :lol:

huggggzzzz

nutti :D

This is so funny that you should bring this up today. I was just talking to my mom about all the things RayAnne(almost 14) wants done.

She has her ears pierced only once at the moment.

If she had her way she would have

double piercings in her ears :lol:

One in the top of her cartilidge :lol:

her nose pierced :D

Belly button pierced :lol:

and a tatoo on her foot. :lol:

Of course its a NO!! NO!! NO!! until she is 18. At least she doesn't want her tongue done.

I am hoping some of the fads will be gone in 4 years.

I explained to her that her cousin had her belly button done several years ago now she has let it close up and she had her nose done and she has taken that out and now she has a nice hole there.

They just don't think about what they will feel about it a few years down the road.

heidiiiii5 Posted Today, 02:40 PM

Most people dont think kids should have piercings (even ears). I found out the reason Nat was having so much trouble with her ears.

NEVER EVER EVER get your ears pierced with a gun.

I used to do piercings with a gun when I had my hair salon. I never had any trouble that I know of. But I told my clients to always put their starter earrings back in at the end of the day for the first year. That was what worked for me.

SuzyQ

Wow Heidi. That is a good one. Guess I'm a little harder......... :lol: NO!

I have an 11 yr old stepdaughter....right now the 'thing' is wearing mis-matched clothes, and camouflage, not a biggie. My cousin had all the piercings in her ears, never her nose, but she did get her belly button done. Chris had his ear pierced years ago but let it close up because it got to be too much trouble to maintain.

I dont think an 11 yr old should be making such a choice either

but we are talking 14--16 age girls. it is just the signs of the times.

what I learned from my son...he accepted he was grounded more than he was free

and I accepted what he wore.

he respected my authority

and I respected his indeviduality.

when he was 6 he was getting a haircut and he wanted batman on the side of his head....(long story :lol: )

but for 4 weeks I had to use a permanent marker to outline and color it for him.

when he was in 3 and 4th grade I let him cut his hair into a mohawk for the last week of school...my boys always enjoyed the short hair for summer. all the boys were so envious...and during the summer we would run into his friends and they would be sporting mowhawks. of course he had his long tail all this time also. yall remember those dont you? fools tails. his was down to his behind when he had me cut it so he could wrestle....I cried! dad did a jig....bet dad wishes he would have kept his mouth shut about the hair... :lol:

hair grows back and is such a small battle in the war of saving teens from their selves!

I also feel this way about SOME peircings. the holes eventually grow back. no harm done if you set some boundries.

nose...small...tasteful jewelry(mom oked) ---yes

tounge----NO 18 and gone

cartlidge---yes-

belly button...NO....now this is a nice body accent BUT sometimes with the belly shirts those girls look like they are advertising...and she can be gone when she decides she wants that also.

my son moved out at 17 and proceeded to peirce his whole face...was nasty and he wanted me to smooch his widdle face??

of course picking and choosing your battles till they are of age is a good plan but than all bets are off and they become people that you didnt raise!!!

afterall we can only hope to show them the way...they have to choose to what their way is.

and give huggggss while and when we can. :lol:

can you tell I am trying real hard not to freak out about the first day of SR.HIGH School for my last child??

we start back next thursday. 3 girlfriends turning 15 this week and next she does in Sept. I practicly have a woman on my hands. when did this happen to MEEEEEE :lol:

where are the children whose hands fit in mine so perfectly?

dern brats grow into teens and make us look forward to the empty nest.

shaking my head in Missouri

nutti :D

You know it is true about the tongue piercing damaging your teeth. I work for a dentist and have seen many young people needing root canal at very young age because of a piercing in the tongue. You see the "earring" causes you to make more saliva which in turn cause tooth decay and plaque. Try to discourage piercings in the mouth if you can. Just a thought.

Oh! There was no way.. over my dead body was she getting her tongue pierced!! Or any facial piercings. I told her I would rather consent to having a hole drilled in her skull!! :lol:

But you all know how TWEENS (OMG, in two months she will be 13..not a tween) can be. I was going to have to eventually pull out the mom card but the piercer did it for me.

With hair I have the same philosophy my mom had with me, dont come home bald! That was it. I could do whatever I wanted but dont go bald! I am the same way with the girls!

I have to laugh. Guess what was the major color scheme in Nat`s school choices? Camoflage. A lil jacket, a backpack, and a pair of converse all in camo! That is all you saw in the stores!

Dh has a tattoo on his upper arm. He got it a few years ago. Since I have diabetes, my days of piercings and tattoos are over.

I probably would never get a tattoo anyway. My dad`s arms were covered with tattoos. The OLD blue tattoos from the 30s and 40s. Ships, daggers, flags of his nationality, and mom. He warned us never to get one! Back then you could get Hep from them and it stuck. None of his children have a tattoo.

heidiiiii5 Posted Today I have to laugh. Guess what was the major color scheme in Nat`s school choices? Camoflage. A lil jacket, a backpack, and a pair of converse all in camo! That is all you saw in the stores!

RayAnnes room was Camoflage until last year. She had Camo wall paper curtains the whole nine yards. Then she totally changed. She moved into another room downstairs and went to pink and gold. (Now our guest room is camo :D ) She has gone totally girl. (she did buy one pair of camo shorts this summer though) She won't even go out without her makeup on. :lol:

She seems to be leaning towards a more preppy look this year, even bought leggings which she swore last year she would never do. :lol: Oh yeah now come to think of it she did also buy a camoflage dress with leggings of course.

Lets all take some pictures of our kids on the first day of school and post them. I think that would be fun unless any of you are uncomfortable posting your kids pictures on here.

SuzyQ

Oh, that would be good!

LOL. I can see chelsea posing for a picture..

I have to cut her hair today and add some more color to it (purple and aqua marine). She and Nat are getting eyebrows waxed tomorrow. (cant find anyone in town that does threading. <_< )

Chels has her senior pics to do at the end of the month. I have to find a place to do her makeup.

Going to do a conditioning treatment on Nat today, then leave in conditioner, and iron it. That should last her if she remembers to put conditioner in every day and wheres a scarf to bed.

I need to color my hair also! color is fading out. Ewwww!

I am planning on taking Nat to have henna tattoos done b4 the summer is over. Temporary and she will like it. It is done at same place as the piercing was going to take place.

You know it is true about the tongue piercing damaging your teeth. I work for a dentist and have seen many young people needing root canal at very young age because of a piercing in the tongue. You see the "earring" causes you to make more saliva which in turn cause tooth decay and plaque. Try to discourage piercings in the mouth if you can. Just a thought.

Very interesting!! I'll remember that for all my firends that have kids that age. Mine is only 4, is I have a long way to go before those battles. The only thing I have to deal with now is buying the fake tats from the Dollar Store!

Daddy (DH) has 2 tats. One he got long b4 I met him. It's Calvin, from Calvin & Hobbes. Its cute, but very dated! He says Calvin was everything HE was as a kid so it fit him perfectly. The other one is our son's name is some sort of fancy gothic lettering. I can't find the pic I have from when he got it, right after out son was born about 4 years ago. AS a matter of fact our first family "outing" with baby was to the Tattoo place to have the people draw it out! LOL

Going to kill my daughter!! Kill Kill Kill! (okay dont have to call DCF, just ranting)

I bought jars from yard sale on Saturday and was all ready to take out my strawberries that I have been collecting and freezing over the summer.

Guess what? Go ahead take a wild guess!!!

ONE OF MY DAUGHTERS ATE HALF THE BAG!!!!!!

I had enough strawberries to put up a full batch of quart jars.. 12 jars!! Now I dont even have enough to make a strawberry shortcake! I literally want to cry people. These werent grocery store strawberries either, they were farmstand ones!!!!

Okay, I am done. I will get over it. Life will go on! I have to scrape money together and buy grocery store ones. These berries make enough jam for the whole winter and spring! Grrrr!

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Heidi

My mom had a porch full of tomatos one time getting ready to can and while she was down the street talking to a neighbor we decided to have a tomato fight with the guy across the street.

You can imagie her face when she got back home.

SuzyQ

roflmao!

not at you Heidi! but with you!

my daughter will inhale strawberries! and all of my kids at one time or another have eaten something I had in mind for something else...Jason the human eating machine with hollow legs use to sneak into the icing in the cupboards....of course by the time I would find it ..it would be spoiled...coz opened icing goes into the fridge. Jevin my oldest could NOT stay out of the chocolate chips. very frustrating to go make cookies or breadpudding and have no chips.

oh and milk....when Jason was at home EVERY time he went into the kitchen he would drink outa the jug sometimes consuming a gal of milk in one day. :D

I dont keep snak foods in the house because they will keep eating it till it is all gone....in one day if they can manage it!

I love kids! I LOVE kids! I love KIDS!

hmmmm somehow its not ver convincing! :D

nutti :)