Whats everyone doing for saint pattys day dinner

tracibobs

This year is the first time in 10 years i get to celebrate saint pattys day so im trying to do a big irish dinner for my family of 12 so im doing

glazed corned beef with potaotes and carrots

irish soda bread

and im trying to think of a good dessert and side

Whats everyone else cooking this year :wave:

I'm making an Irish dinner too! I'm starting with Guiness, followed by Jameson's and finished off with Irish carbombs :wave:

It's the one time of the year I can ride around town in a kilt and fit right in.

Ahahahahaha!

I have had a few carbombs in my adult life. I always remember the first one I drink but never the second one.. Wonder why?

I am going to pick up some Irish Soda bread from the Co-op tomorrow. It is gluten free and we wanted to give it a try. Not doing traditional boiled dinner this year. I want to try something different.

I have a nice flat cut brisket that I am going to smother in a spicy mustard, honey, brown sugar mixture with spices. It is going to cook in the dutch oven. I am making garlic mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, and fried cabbage and onions.

I am going to make some chocolate pudding for dessert.

I'm not a big fan of corned beef but being from Texas, I do loooove me some BRISKET! Its a toss whether we'll have that (slow cooked in a 200 degree oven overnight and smothered in Woody's Cook-In sauce) or a ham. We'll probably have ham at Easter and just had it at New Year's so I'm guessing we'll go with the brisket. One thing we always have on St. Pats... colcannon. Here's the recipe:

This is so rich and creamy and chewy and smoky and… well, even people who don’t like cabbage scarf this down.

• 3 lbs potatoes (you really can NOT use prepared potatoes)

• 2 sticks of melted butter (yes, it must be butter)

• 1 ¼c hot milk

• 2c roughly chopped cabbage (some green and some ribs)

• 1 pound bacon, cut into 1” pieces

• 1 small onion, thinly sliced and rings separated

• 2 scallion tops, finely shredded

It’s preferable to steam the potatoes in their skins and then peel them while still hot but if you need to, you can peel them first or even just leave them on. No matter which, make sure ALL the water is drained off them. While cooking, fry the bacon, reserving the drippings. Remove the bacon and add the onion, cooking until carmelized. Remove them from the skillet and add the cabbage, cooking until just tender. Remove from the heat and drain off all but a TB of drippings. Mash the cooked potatoes with half the melted butter and the hot milk. You don’t want the texture to be too creamy. Add the bacon and cabbage mixture, mixing thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a serving bowl and make a well in the top of it. Pour the melted butter into the well and serve.

-We're just doing the traditional boiled dinner (corned beef, cabbage, carrots, onions, beets, potatoes).

-Can't decide about hot cross buns or soda bread though as a go-with.

-Haven't decided on a dessert, if any. We've found that sometimes the meal is just so heavy that we have dessert wait til leftovers day.

-That recipe for colcannon looks like something my family might like to try. They are big bacon fans.

-BTW, I'm a vegetarian so all of this stuff isn't my cup of tea !!

Hmmm will probably do a boiled dinner...but we use turkey ham-with carrots,potatoes,onions

and cabbage.Thinking about making soda bread ..no thoughts on dessert-enough already!! B) :thumb:

Ah, tis one of my favorite days of the year! We'll be doing the corned beef(I've never tried boiling) with a combination mustard/brown sugar glaze, along with the sides of cabbage, potatoes, carrots, etc. As for the dessert I've had a request or two for the 3 layer brownies tonight. Just a regular box of brownie mix(your choice), then I whip up some white chocolate pudding(2 boxes and I use heavy cream in place of the milk), and then top that with a layer of raspberry gel. Seems every holiday I can't get away from baking, so anymore I try to appease with the easy recipes. Have to love that the only diabetic of the family is the one that makes all the sweets, but doesn't eat them. lol

Well was out shopping for colcannon ingredients, but Chris phoned me from the pub saying he was there with his friend who was having dinner there and would I join them... So put the colcannon off until the weekend. Should have stuck with the colcannon tonight, pub dinner was ok, but not fantastic. Never mind!

Had chocolate pudding for dessert when we got home!

Happy St Patrick's Day all!

The Irish used to fill holes in the ground that were filled with water, then toss in a deer and a bunch of hot stones to cook it.

They also used to mix the blood of cattle with butter or milk. Black pudding, a popular breakfast staple in Ireland and the British Isles is made from blood, grain, (usually barley) and seasoning.

They didn't eat corned beef and cabbage in Ireland. The fancy meal was originally cabbage and bacon, but bacon was more expensive in America, so they copied their Jewish neighbors and switched to corned beef.

Another traditional Irish dish is Boxty, a sort of potato pancake. There's also a dish called Coddle, layers of sliced sausage, bacon, sliced potatoes & onions, all simmered together in a pot. It can also include barley.

Colcannon is another popular Irish dish, a mixture of mashed potatoes & cabbage. Champ is similar only no cabbage, they use green onions instead.

Traditionally, the meat in Irish stew is not browned.

Barm Brack is a sort of fruitcake type bread.

Lamb Stew. With guinness, barley, cabbage, carrots (gasp!*), potatoes, celery, onions and garlic, and of course lamb. With soda bread. Plain, simple, traditional food straight from my Gram's kitchen, via a recipe card :-)

Dessert was chocolate orange guinness cake. Which is not plain in any sense of the word.

I'm now sitting here with a glass of Connemara, a peated single malt Irish whiskey.

*Carrots are a source of debate on if they should/should not be added to lamb stew. I personally love carrots and add them to most stews. My Gram was a staunch non carrot adder.

Well, our New England boiled dinner went off alright except that 2 of our company couldn't come at the last minute. Three big kettles of food - one crock-pot with the meat and assorted veggies, a second with just veggies (for me) and a third for the seasoned cabbage.

I ended up making the soda bread and adding raspberries to it in place of the raisin/currants. But for good measure, I also made the recipe for hot cross buns and then just frosted them green for St. Pat's.

Lots of leftovers - yum - the best part !!!

Oh, and we are definitely in the add/have carrots camp.

I find it interesting how many people put fruit in their soda bread. My gram always called that tea cakes, or spotted dog (not to be confused with spotted d***, a steamed pudding). Same recipe but with raisins.

She called her bread cake, meaning it was round and cooked in the oven. Sometimes she made farl, which was the same recipe, cut the circle into 4ths and cooked on the stove top on a griddle.

I prefer cake and plain. If I'm going to have fruit I want scones :-)

My Gram was Scottish, born and raised in Ireland. And she made sure she told you that if asked. In her mind it made a difference and that's all that counts. She was the only one out of 10 born there. Maybe she felt she had to remind the rest of them lol

I thought about her and missed her all day yesterday. It was all the smells of cooking I guess that brought it back.