8/10/06 Vaseline

I was reading an article about Vaseline having thousands of uses and it got me wondering, what have YOU used Vaseline for?

I put it on my hands

very lightly before I paint so that the paint won't stick on my skin so much.

• Like 1

Wow now there's a question.. let's see..

When I had really badly chapped hands (painfully chapped) I've rubbed it on my hands before bed and worn cotton gloves over night. I'm sure there are better products on the market today but when I was a kid we just used what ever we had on hand. Now I use it for a mould release agent when making plaster moulds. As weird as it sounds I heard the guy who invented the stuff even used to eat a tablespoon a day.. though that might just be an urban legend - it sounds really aweful to me.

-David

As weird as it sounds I heard the guy who invented the stuff even used to eat a tablespoon a day.. though that might just be an urban legend - it sounds really aweful to me.

That is actually true David and he lived to be 96 years old I think and he says its because he never missed taking a tablespoon.

:D :lol:

When my kids were going thru a strange period where they wanted strange hair colors, I used it to coat the skin around the hairline to prevent the skin from being dyed blue, while the hair was getting dyed. I have also used it for makeup removal. It came in very helpfull to smooth and caot my sons skin during the year he work a special suit while recovering from a skin graft, it helped the burn scars stay smooth. Darrell in the past has spread a thin coat over a 35mm camera to get a soft focus. That is all we can think of in just a few minutes.

Melissa

• Like 1

When I had really badly chapped hands (painfully chapped) I've rubbed it on my hands before bed and worn cotton gloves over night. I'm sure there are better products on the market today ...

-David

Hi David & all ... I don't use vaseline much since I discovered Bag Balm some years ago. It's a similar product with some antibiotic qualities that farmers use on a cow's udder for chapping, dryness, whatever. It's a wonderful skin softener.

I have bag balm too.

Vaseline: A quick replacement for chapstick. helped get a drawer from being perpetually stuck from humidity, and her is the real embarrassing one that I hate to admit I used to do.

In the 80s, some of us girls liked to wear SKIN TIGHT jeans. So we would put vaseline on our legs so that we could pull the jeans up.

Another one: If you are ever in a fight with a girl that has fingernails, spread vaseline on your face and she cant scratch you! LOL Boy, that is an old one.

• Like 1

OOOHHH! Godd quesitons and great suggestions. I'll have to remember these.

I have 2 beautiful side tables in my lv rm the the drawers always get stuck on. I'll be using my vaseline tonight to remedy that!

I also use it on my hand frequently for dry skin with the gloves. But I always wake up and have to look for the gloves! They never stay on my hands during the night!

I forgot about using it for hair color! I bought the cotton stuff at my local Sally's Beauty Supply store, but it always falls down, so I will use the Vaseline to hold it up too!

Mold release is great idea for when i start making dolls and such, much later.

Funny about puttnig it on the door knobs! Naughty Deb!

In the 80s, some of us girls liked to wear SKIN TIGHT jeans. So we would put vaseline on our legs so that we could pull the jeans up.

Another one: If you are ever in a fight with a girl that has fingernails, spread vaseline on your face and she cant scratch you! LOL Boy, that is an old one.

TOO FUNNY... and too true!! I remember doing both those!!

Interesting Links for Vaseline

Wikipedia

Wacky Uses for Vaseline

The story of Vaseline

A woman answers the door to a market researcher.

Salesman: "Good morning madam, I'm doing some research for Vaseline. Do you use it at all in your household?"

WOMAN: "Oh yes, all the time. It's very good for cuts, grazes and burns."

Salesman: "Do you use it for anything else?"

WOMAN: "Like what?"

Salesman: "Ahem.. err.. well.. during.. ahem.. sex."WOMAN: "Oh, of course. Yes, we smear it on the bedroom doorknob to keep the kids out."

• Like 1

ROFL!! Please, my sensitive eyes!! :lol: :D

I used to use it for my lips back when I couldn't afford real lip gloss. I've also used it to remove eye makeup, but it's kind of nasty.

We also put it on the pads of our dogs feet in the wintertime. It helped protect them from the snow and cold.

never used it on my hands but I have done the same thing to relieve the dryness in my feet

I have used it on the babies bum for protection when they wore cloth diapers.

and as sunscreen on my oldest son...he has vitiligo(no skin pigment in areas) around his eyes always gets badly burnt and most products run into the eyes when wet...when he was younger pryer to the stick sunscreen I buy him now I used vasoline.

is all I can think of for now.

nutti :lol:

I've used it for chapped lips, but also for removing biro off the leather sofa. Just rub it on top - leave it a couple of minutes - then rub off gently. The sofa salesman gave us this tip which we didn't believe, but we tried it and it works!!

Some great tips there too!

I've used it for chapped lips, but also for removing biro off the leather sofa. Just rub it on top - leave it a couple of minutes - then rub off gently. The sofa salesman gave us this tip which we didn't believe, but we tried it and it works!!

Some great tips there too!

I know I'm going to feel stupid when I read the answer to this.. but what is biro? And I've got to say I'm really amazed that Vaseline can be used as a sun screen <_< I would have thought it would have worked just the opposite sort of like rubbing cooking oil on .. which my cousin used to do by the way when she went out sunbathing... this was of course before we knew that hours of sunbathing isn't as healthy as we used to think.

-David

• Like 1

I have a tip DONT that I forgot to add:

Chels decided she had to learn the flute. It was a used one i purchased at the local pawn shop. It was sticking. The local instrument shop guy told me to use vaseline. DONT!!!!

LSS: School paid to have it professionally fixed. The thing was stuck, badly.

After her obsession with the flute ended, I donated it to the school so that kids that couldnt afford one could use it.

• Like 1

I don't use vaseline much, but Greg (DH) does. He mainly uses it down in his workshop. He uses it to grease small parts like gears in electronics and stuff like that. It also works good on hinges when you just can't find the can of WD40 <_< .

when i used to be a medical assistant in a pediatric clinic, we told parents to use vaseline to kill lice. modern lice have become very resistant to medications/pesticides, so for those children who had re-curring breakouts or had a heck of a time getting rid of lice, we recommended that the parents wash their kids hair very thoroughly at night (before going to bed), then completely saturate the hair and scalp with vaseline. put a shower cap on and in the morning rinse it out.

the lice can't breathe in the vaseline so they will die. this doesn't take care of eggs, of course, so when you rinse out you still have to go through the hair with a fine-tooth comb to pick out all the eggs and lice. and of course do the usual...clean the whole house, upholstery, blankets/pillows, etc.

parents said that it was very difficult to rinse the hair of vaseline, but it seemed to do the trick.

OMG!!! (I am emphasizing the O..M...G)

Nat had a buddy in elementary school. This buddy had head lice..ALL THE TIME. The mom had like 6 kids and she would only treat the kid who got spotted by the school nurse.

Suffice it to say, Nat had head lice..alot. and she is a Fro, so you can understand how difficult it was to pick out all of the nits!

I wish I had heard about the vaseline trick. It would have saved me a ton of money!

when we were fighting lice from our public school system

Catriona always had it...boys never did..nor did Dean and I but we were constantly having to treat her in 1--4th grade!

I started using mayo...wrapped her head in a bag and put the blow dryer on it.

the mayo was a good conditioner to offset the drying effects of the chemicals

and I ALWAYS kept the spray stuff on hand and sprayed eveything she had been in contact with including the van seats and floor... I would get rid of it and 2 or 3 months later it would be back....tell my why cant the schools supply spray for the coat room and the carpets in the classroom?

the last time the school called me I raised 7 kinds of...you know what!

I told them I wanted her coat left on the back of her chair and I did NOT want her next to the cronic kids for any reason at any time...or the next round of lice trearment would be billed to the school!

I also kept her hair up in braids.

they never called me again.

nutti :)

Yes, we would ask the parents to check their other children for lice too. Typically we would prescribe the medication not just for one child, but for the whole family. Those lice are tricky buggers! :lol: If you treat just one child and not the others and not clean the house, they will keep coming back.

I do remember many parents complaining about how their kids kept getting lice from other kids in school. I wonder if there is a solution to that...?

Back then, I wasn't so scared of lice as I was of scabies. Now THAT gave me the heeby jeebies! If a patient came into the clinic complaining of a rash, itching and what not, one of the nurses would do a quick check in the waiting room. If she suspected scabies, the patient would be immediately and quickly ushered into an exam room to wait. Scabies are highly contagious. Unfortunately, vaseline will NOT do the trick for these buggers. Afterwards, we would completely disinfect the entire exam room.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

i am aging myself,but once saw an interview of doris day-remember her?-on the mike douglas show,answering a question about her beauty routine.said she coated every inch of her skin with vaseline before bed and put on cotton pjs,cotton socks,and cotton gloves,but was still expecting to slide right outta bed one night! :) she kept her youthful looks for a long time,sooo...i have read about applying vaseline to a piece of furniture before painting,to create a crackle finish,but haven't tried it yet.i apply it to surfaces,then buff well,to add a protective sheen.

Thanks for resurrecting this topic, I had forgotten one of the other uses for Vaseline we discovered when we had our first beagle and he picked up some sort of skin crud similar to the mange. The vet told us to make a salve out of flowers of sulfur and Vaseline and rub it on his irritated skin; he stopped scratching it that evening and it had cleared completely up within the next day or two.

Hi Kathy, and welcome to the Forum. We have a section for new members - we'd love to have you introduce yourself there so we can all say hello :)

A couple years ago I had a problem with dry skin on my face, especially under my eyes. My regular OTC face creams weren't curing it and I thought of going to a dermatologist and prescriptions for special medications - the all the time and money that would cost. So I tried putting Vaseline on the troubled spots and within a few days it was all cleared up. I have continued to use it ever since.

This topic is cracking me up. About 40 years ago, I had an issue with a dry scalp. My Mom read somewhere to use Vaseline. She loaded me up with the slippery stuff and we waited. Then.......the problem. No shampoo, no soap, no nothing we had (she even insisted on trying peanut butter because it worked for gum!) nothing worked. Nothing. Soooo.....it was off to the beauty shop. Our hairdresser and her workers cracked up too. It took her HOURS to get my hair halfway normal and it was days before it disappeared. The time Mom put Vaseline in my hair has been a family joke ever since. I can't wait to tell my Mom she wasn't alone in trying this remedy.

• Like 3