8/10/06 Vaseline

I put vaseline on ticks. They suffocate, but try to back themselves out first so you don't have to pull them off and take the chance of leaving some tick body parts behind. Worked great on both kids and dogs.

Well, Mom had a great laugh. We honestly have never in all these years ran across anyone else that knew about this or tried it.

As for using vaseline and cotton for a perm.......we learned that in 'beauty school' (it was a 'school of hair design' by the time I went) and it works pretty well. Another one we learned in beauty school was how to get stubborn left over hair dye out of the skin. Use a paste of cigarette ashes and water.

I have recently seen alot posted on here about 'Bug Juice'. Home made aging stains. Now this topic revisited. I wonder what all natural/home made products can be/are used in miniatures?

• 8 months later...

I am diabetic. When I get an owie, it takes a long time for it to heal. I had two. One on my arm and one on my leg.. the one on my arm was from a spider bite that got infected, and had to get it lanced, then cleaned and the wound refused to heal... after weeks of packing and allowing it to scab over, I had to put vaseline on it, to keep it from drying out, but it began to heal finally.... after almost a year, it finally healed completely.. but the vaseline helped to keep it from drying out. The one on my leg, was a similar thing, the vaseline helped it to heal...after about a year. :|

~morning

• 9 months later...

Vaseline disgusts me. I avoid all petroleum products. Putting something on my skin is the same as putting it in my mouth. Petroleum is too gross for me to handle. Mineral or baby oil, chapstick, tar soaps, all of it is forbidden in my house. Just the smell of petrochemicals gives me a headache. I guess I am weird.

Vaseline disgusts me. I avoid all petroleum products. Putting something on my skin is the same as putting it in my mouth. Petroleum is too gross for me to handle. Mineral or baby oil, chapstick, tar soaps, all of it is forbidden in my house. Just the smell of petrochemicals gives me a headache. I guess I am weird.

Not weird. You're one of about a third of the population who has some kind of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for resurrecting this topic, I had forgotten one of the other uses for Vaseline we discovered when we had our first beagle and he picked up some sort of skin crud similar to the mange. The vet told us to make a salve out of flowers of sulfur and Vaseline and rub it on his irritated skin; he stopped scratching it that evening and it had cleared completely up within the next day or two.

our dog has the same thing only I use vaseline with cocobutter on him..clear it right up..I should probably put it on their pads too, I know he licks it off but I'd rather use that than something that might upset his stomach

I don't use vaseline on my skin, but I did find a good use for it, years ago…When I was in grad school, I was the typical poor student, terrified of losing my security deposit on my apartment. I lived by myself, and was lonely, so I went to the shelter and brought home a cat. The cat was friendly, active, and insane. His favorite thing to do was to race around the apartment in the middle of the night and periodically stop to scratch at the door jambs. Ack! My deposit! I tried all kinds of things to get him to stop. He thought being sprayed with water was a great game. The anti-kitty stinky spray didn't faze him. Finally I ended up applying duct tape to the door jambs as high as he could reach, and covering the duct tape with a thick coat of vaseline. He found it so disgusting that he never scratched the door jambs again, and I got back my deposit. Success!

• Like 2