Mini kitty

minikelli

Yesterday I didn't actually get to do too much miniing... at least not in the sense of dollhousing. Instead I ended up taking in a rejected kitten. Literally when the momma cat had it, she walked away. I'm not too squeamish, but having to cut the umbilical cord and dispose of the placenta or amniotic sac -- not fun. After cleaning it up I placed it with the other kitten she'd had to see if she'd take to it after rubbing them together to make sure they both had her scent. Unfortunately she still didn't take to it, and moved the other kitten to a new nesting site. So when I took my dog Cory out last night saw the poor thing left alone, and honestly thought it was dead. Very cold to the touch and I couldn't see it breathing. While Cory was doing his business though, I went ahead and picked up the kitten and just on the off chance it was able to be resuscitated I started rubbing my hands over it -- sure enough a little gasp of breath. Knew I couldn't leave it outside, so have set up a shoebox with heat source for it in my room. From there I found a recipe for homemade kitten milk replacement, and have successfully fed it a couple of times and made sure that all parts work -- digestion wise I mean. lol

Not a pretty job necessarily, and I'm the only one in my family it seems that doesn't have the thought to just let nature take it's course outside. However, it's currently got a nice rounded belly and seems to be comfortable. So y'all know I'm going to have to give a go at keeping it going. This is one of those times my being up at all hours is a good thing. Including a picture of it -- looks like it's mama all black with a triangle of white on the neck... at least that's what the markings look like at the moment. Doesn't even have fur on it's feet yet, so goodness knows the looks may well change.

post-6196-1300528230_thumb.jpg

Aww how sad for the poor little baby to be rejected by its mum. Well done you for taking it in and giving it a chance, whether it makes it or not at least it will know some love and affection. I really hope it grows up to be a strong healthy kittie.

Ditto on that feeling Debbie, and thanks Muriel I'm with you on the fingers crossed. Kittykins(nickname til I know what it is gender wise) just finished up it's third feeding. Did the necessities etc.. Just hoping to be able to pick up some plain yogurt today to add in to the food mix, and also some Pedialyte to get some needed electrolytes in. So far so good...

Sometimes nature taking its course is a sweet person like you finding it and offering it food, comfort, warmth, and the attention its mother would have given it. I hope you have success keeping this little one alive, but if you don't at least it will have felt love and comfort, instead of lying lonely beneath the irises.

We took in a runt-of-the-litter Kitty that people had abandoned..the Mama cat and all the kitties almost starved! We already had two cats and they didn't like the new runt.We think she was a little mentally deficient.We got another kitten after that and she LOVED this cat..named Cymru..

(pronounced Kimmy)who ended up being part Maine Coon and was about 3 ft. long including her tail.The two cats played and played while our first two always kept away.Too bad for them they missed out on all the fun!! Good luck with you new kitty!! :thumb:

Unfortunately it didn't make it. Seemed to do really well with the feedings and defecating, so I had hope. But died in my hands after her last feeding session. On the bright side at least she knew some kindness, and was warm and peaceful when she passed. Just have to hope it has better luck in where it's gone.

I do want to say thanks for all the well wishes for it though. I only hope that we(and I do mean that collectively including all those that had warm thoughts for this baby) may have made it a better world for the little bit of time it had on this earth.

Aww, Kelli, I've done the same thing myself - in my case I just couldn't walk away from a kitten so young its eyes weren't open yet that had been put with a much older and larger litter for the mom cat to foster. Of course, the tiny baby ended up shoved into a corner of the cage at the shelter this was - where I'd gone to see if my lost cat had turned up there - and the caretakers at the shelter basically looked the other way when I slipped the baby into my pocket and walked out. It was a city animal pound and legally they couldn't let me "adopt" it because it hadn't been at the shelter for 72 hours yet, but we all knew it wouldn't live that long. Anyway, it made it long enough to get its eyes open and start trying to stand up, then some disease it had probably picked up in its few hours in the shelter got it.

But like your baby, it knew it was loved and cared for during its all-too-brief little life - and bless you for giving it that priceless gift.

Thanks for that guys. Might have been silly of me, but the guy in my avatar Tourette -- he was the same way where he was rejected by his mom when he got sick. Guess I'd gotten my hopes up that I might be able to save this little one too. Finding solace that at least it went peacefully and did know some love instead of just laying out in the cold to freeze to death or be eaten. Still wondering if all the little teeth marks and that cold might not have been what really couldn't be overcome. Have to look for the bright side also that I at least have a recipe now for milk replacement for cats, so if/when I come across another in need I may be ready a bit faster...

I'm so sorry! It is really really hard to keep newborn kittens alive! When my CindyCat was pregnant with 5 kittens (and before she was mine!) some teenagers threw her into a bonfire. When one of them took pity on her and pulled her out, and took her to a shelter, she was badly burned. While she was recovering from her burns, she gave birth. She was in no shape to tend the kittens. Even after heroic efforts by two vets and dedicated shelter staff, just one kitten survived. The vet said that kittens are notoriously bad at surviving on anything but direct "milk from mom", that the various kitten formulas work only occasionally. Our CassieCat, the one surviving kitten and her Momma are with us and doing just fine...but Cassie's really fortunate to have made it.

You did the best you could, and as you said, the poor little thing at least experienced some warmth and love.

Sorry that your kitty passed, its really sad and I know hard to handle expecially when you try to keep it alive . I have been through it to many ties with cats, dogs birds, even nature animals that are left alone. I just keep in mind that Natures wonderful beauty. Its amazing to watch an animal give birth its incrediable how they just know what to do. My kids couldnt belive that the little pup that fit in thier hads will grow to be the size of their mom or dad.

Edited by tsdream6

i am sorry your kitten died.

but, there's a but... normally a cat will not abandon her kitten unless it has a deformation of some kind, inwards or outwards, or is sick.

that is nature's instinct.

we people are much more softhearted and want to save anything sweet and furry.

i dont mean to sound harsh but this is probably for the best.

You did save the kitty,Kelli, who was comfortable enough to go where 'she' had to .Bless you

for your caring.We all share in the saddness of the moment but also rejoice in knowing that

little Kitty is now Fine!! :)

Llyn that's the way I'm trying to look at it, that at least for that little bit of time she was at least made comfortable in her bit of time with us.

Gee, that's not harsh at all, simply reality... Just the small matter that occasionally reality stinks, and if I can I like to try and change the course ever so often. As I stated before, the guy in my avatar was the same way. Rejected by his mom when he got sick. Found him convulsing and literally his little head bouncing off of concrete. Become a bit of a sick family joke b/c his head is permanently tilted. lol

Point being however there is no reason he should have made it -- yet he did. So ever so often taking those steps to help out those that would otherwise be dead if nature took it's course, well they have not just big but oft times huge rewards! :) Kind of amusing b/c he is an inside/outside kitty now, and basically rules the roost where ever he goes... even if he doesn't all the time he's quite positive he does and I like to let him believe it. :(

kelli,

when one of my cats came to live with me, it became sick that very day.

i have been sitting with her on my lap for weeks, feeding her every two hours to try to prevent dehydration.

it cost me a fortune on vet bills.

luckily she survived and is now the boss in this house, although i won't say that out loud.

you can't get me devastated except for when there is something wrong with my kids or my cats.

so i do understand. :)

You did everything you could. With all my assorted critters, if they didn't get mom's colostrum within a few hours of birth, they might make it but they didn't do as well on formula as they would have with mom. I couldn't walk away and leave them, either. Some moms had it fixed in their little pea brains that one was enough and no way would they accept the second or heaven forbid the third. And a few went eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! what's that thing and just refused the baby completely.

• 3 weeks later...

Kelli, your instincts are good and humane. I'm sure the little kitten felt your loving warmth while in your care. Bless you for your efforts. But sometimes Mother Nature has her own plan. Que sera, sera.