Cheap substitute for Modpodge?

I have a $100 dollar budget for my dollhouse project and so far I have spent about $102 so I need to find ways to do what I want to do without costing anything.

What can I seal my various projects with that won't be expensive like Modpodge is??

Will polyurthane work? Layers of glue? Hairspray? Nail polish?

I want my house and items to be durable, seeing they will probably be played with and become a heirloom someday. I will be coating everything from faux stonework to clay to wood to paper to furniture... Help!

If you already have white carpenters glue try mixing it 50/50 with water and using it as a sealant. I do this on raw MDF but I've never tried it on the other stuff you mention so go carefully and try a bit at a time to see if it works.

You can also seal with primer, gesso, or old latex paint leftover from a real life house project. Remember though, don't do this for any areas that you wish to stain, like floors. Stain won't stain your sealer. In that case, the stain itself will act as the sealer, then you can coat that with poly or varnish.

I painted a piece of wood to look like marble and didn't have any gloss mod podge so I used nail polish. I am a little worried about it chipping off and it does not stick to anything with glue - so I would be wary of that. Really good question, though, considering Mod Podge is about $7 a bottle and I can go through that stuff like water!

I've wondered the same thing about Modge Podge. I love the stuff but its very expensive. I thought Elmer's school glue would do the same thing. I am going to experiment with it and let you know.

Roxxie, don't use school glue. It's not perminent and is water soluable. Elmer's glue all is better. I have used that at half strength to adhere fabric to the front of full sized drawers and is works the same as modpodge. Just use water to loosen it. You want about the consistancy of heavy cream. Not too thin. It is also cleanable with a wet sponge when it is dry.

I also use it in a spray bottle to cover foundations for lawns and then sprinkle railroad greenery on it. It is much easier than using a brush. Just be sure to clean the bottle as soon as you are done, if it is a bottle that you want to use again.

I have used the regular Elmer's Glue-All mixed with equal parts of water. Just let each application dry well before the next. You can add a coating of clear water-based polyurethane over it at the end.

:hug:

• 2 years later...

I found an off brand of modpodge at Micheals, it works the same as modpodge (MP is pretty expensive! I think this was at least $4 cheaper than the $8 MP). I've seen some recipes on Pinterest of how to make wallpaper paste and modpodge glues at home, haven't tried them but they're probably also cheap alternatives.

Edited by beyourpet

I usually seal things with clear acrylic varnish but it is expensive. A large bottle is almost ten bucks so I usually wait for the 50% off coupon from Michael's in my email to buy it. I have never used ModPodge to seal anything but I have used it as a cheap alternative to wallpaper mucilage. I do know that basically you can create ModPodge yourself by thinning out tacky glue to the same consistency as it. ModPodge use to be cheap, they must have raised the prices on it!

• 2 weeks later...

I've read that you should not thin glue with water to act like Mod Podge. Just use the glue (Elmer's type) as is. This is especially true if you're using it for decoupage with paper; you will almost certainly get wrinkles if you cut it with water. Apparently Mod Podge has hardeners and varnishes in it that mean that it's more than just PVA glue and water.

Brittanie, did you like the generic Mod Podge? I saw some at Hobby Lobby once and it sounded very thin, like water, when I shook it, so I didn't buy it.