Greenleaf's Fifth Annual Spring Fling Contest

Okay, to begin with.....for whatever reason, I have a very hard time using this 'add reply' on my computer. Sorry I don't even know how to use smiley faces and all that fun stuff. I enjoy everyone elses though :)

I am wondering about something about the judging here. Last year, the point was made that we should do whatever we wanted, not worry about if it had been done before even, just do what felt right because the entry was judged on our own interpretation of whatever design we went with. The Baslow Ranch to me appeared to not be nearly as fancy as many entries. Simply put, what won it for me was the fact it was PERFECT. It looked like that is exactly how the kit was supposed to look at its finest. Now, this year, the email says entries will be based on originality. Now in my mind, that would mean the Baslow would never have made it because it was 'ordinary'. Well, that's what I want to do with my entry. I want to make something ordinary and hope that my artistry shows half as beautifully as the talented miniaturist who captured last years kit so perfectly.

So, what's the deal???? Is it different this year? Are they looking for unique, original and imaginative interpretations? Not beautifully put together ordinary ideas? I'm being confused but that's okay. I understand us artistic types do that when we are on creative overload. And, overload is putting it mildly. I couldn't finish all my ideas for this years contest if I had a hundred years to do it and I'm not sure when I will sleep again.

This is starting to really get exciting!!!!!!!!!! I don't care how they judge it, this years kit is the best yet, beyond my wildest dreams, so over the top inspiring I CAN'T WAIT TO FINISH!!!!!!!

Morgan, originality has always been one of the criteria for this contest I believe. Its the interpretation of originality that is so hard to nail.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for Dean:

Are all the doors false doors, the front door in the base building and the adjoining doors in the additions etc?

Thanks

The front door in the base unit is a real door. Additionally, we've included enough trim to add two false doors (four door frames, but no actual doors). The additions and stairs each come with trim for one door (two door frames, but no actual door).

Thanks,

Dean

my 2 cents on originality and bashing? I would think that bashing is good to some extent, but if the kit is to be named after the winner's name/entry well they DO want the finished product to be recognizable as the original kit? so that buyers can see what the kit really is? otherwise it could be any kit!

and I had to take sis to docs yesterday (very very thorough second mammogram to further investigate a possible problem...all looks good)...and so sat in the car for hourssssssssssssssssssss literally.....did a lot of mental bashing and configuration as this one is really yelling at me LOL

Thank you Dean and crew for a terrific selection of components to work with. We are certainly well spoiled !! By the way, the gift of extra time .... Bless you !!! That is so fantastic for someone who just had hand surgery !! Thanks again.

I haven't ordered yet because, as usual, my brain is exploding with ideas and I can't decide what to order. I've been sketching like a crazy woman and "need" everything in multiples, why of course !!!

Slow down Selkie, think about budgets a bit ...

I'm giving myself until tomorrow to settle down with a plan and get my order placed.

Fling On everyone. Can't wait to see all the ideas start popping up.

Still drawing,looking,deciding...not sure yet...but...SO excited.This is the best kit ever!I swear

that the Spring Flings are my creative highpoints of my whole year! I get to use what I have learned and seen and was informed of......perfect!! Long live Dean and Co./Greenleaf!! :)

Superfun-ness!!

I know what I'm going to make and, for which character but, I sure hope housey doesn't change his/her mind when I start on it!

I can't tell you how much I'm in love with this kit and components! As usual I can't wait for all the spectacular eye candy! That's my fav part of all:)

Fling On everyone! :)

Is there a link for rules/instructions for the 2011 spring fling? I have never participated in a mini contest and would like to see what I am getting myself into. Do you mail your actual creation or do you just send pictures?

Just pictures Angie. Its limited to 3 pictures - but - and here's another question for the Greenleaf crew -

as this kit is potentially much bigger and has more rooms than previous SF kits, can you increase the number of pictures allowed this year. The reason I ask is that most people will want to submit a shot of the front of the building and a shot of each room that they create within it. Three pics is ok if you are sticking to the base kit alone but for anyone using the additions (and I suspect that will mean most entrants) they will have to select just 2 rooms out of a potential 6 rooms to submit. This means that much of the work remains undisplayed and unappreciated. A single shot of the back with all rooms visible will not show enough detail and lets face it most miniaturists LOVE detail. Don't want to be a pain about this but I'm sure everyone who entered last year will support this request as it ws SO difficult to cover all the work that was done in just 3 shots.

5 shots would be nice!! I believe that if you click on the picture of the spring fling at the start of this post it lists the information or am im dreaming??? Long day so far.

So I had an idea in my head before and now i have to decide on seeing the kit what to do as space is such an issue????? Will it be just the main house or the extra's??? Money is also an issue right now or i would just order it all and decide later as i love this new kit sooo much!!!

Jenn

I love this kit and already have mine order. I do hope we can send in more pictures this year. You want to show the front and back and that just leaves one picture for the details. This kit has several rooms. Please let us send more pictures in.

I've already asked for more pictures too. I don't believe we are being 'pains' about this. The fact of the matter is this project is too big for three pictures to do it justice and there is no changing that. We NEED more pictures.

It's funny. I knew exactly what I wanted to do within minutes of seeing the full kit availiability. It definitely did the shouting and dancing and hand waving, all that stuff. Since then, I have seen it as dozens of different things! It keeps getting better and better just sitting there on the computer screen. Imagine what the real things gonna do when it gets to our homes. I fully expect to wake up one night and teeny tiny house builders have come and gone and built something entirely different!

I still haven't figured out how to include a quote from someone elses post in mine. Whoever mentioned the character in their house. I am new to the forum and having a great time seeing there are more people like me out there. All of my houses have their own people and those people have their stories. It's not my choice, it's theirs :) Reading these things from other people makes me feel much less alone. I can't say more normal because thank God, none of us miniaturists are normal. Oh how boring normal would be!!!!!

Morgan

On the pic issue i think 3 is fine.... its more of a challenge to get just 3 good shots of the overall thing...we can all open our own galleries for detailed shots of everything...means lots more eyecandy :)

I know what mine is going to be! It's a good thing we have until July to finish... Don't need to buy alot of extra things for it, but very time-intensive. Looking forward to jumping in!

I agree with pin about the photo # remaining 3-- a big part of the challenge for me, which I enjoy, is designing the build to stage it optimally for photographs... (That's not to say that I won't be tickled if the # is increased, however! :) )

Does any one know the angle of the dormer offered with this kit? Obviously it matches this particular roof but I was thinking of stocking up at such a good price.

When I used some pre-made dormer kits in the past, the roof pitch on the intended house didn't match what I had purchased. I had to adjust and adjust and adjust. It drove me nuts.

Love the kit, love the possibilities, and love the Luck of the Draw option to win. So many ideas flinging around in the brain and I agree with past posts...I hope the idea in my brain can work through to my hands and make the idea into a reality.

Thank you Dean and Co. for a grand kit for Flinging!!!!!

i cannot see anything but my original first idea...LOL....have tried and it just keeps coming back to that! nothing else works! LOL I am sooo eager to get it, start on it, but chicago show comes first, can shop for things for it (if i do well at show) though! when I get back I can then play! (well after I do major spring cleaning in the house to recover from my frantic making things for the show as everything has gone to S&^%!! LOL)...keep telling myself i have nowhere to put it!!! but I guess the photos on the piano will have to go elsewhere!! LOL and well the poor lost little christmas house there that has yet to be finished!! ok I have to stop thinking about it and get back to dressing dolls! LOL

I bought mine, too. Very excited for it get here!!! :) My idea is very clear and ready to go, with supplies on the way. :( The lack of a camera right now should help me keep things under-wraps. I have already bombarded James with thoughts and stuff, so as long as he is around to bounce off of, I should be good. I can't wait to get started!!!!!

*rushes off to smash face against window, after leaving a box of goldfish on the floor to entertain the wee ones*

On the pic issue i think 3 is fine.... its more of a challenge to get just 3 good shots of the overall thing...we can all open our own galleries for detailed shots of everything...means lots more eyecandy :)

Wish I could Linda, wish I could.

Still struggling with the plan for this, there's a germ of an idea in my head but it doesn't know what time period it wants to be and that will make such a big difference. Must stop this deliberating and put a stake in the ground or the extra time will still not be enough.

Happy flinging to everyone who has ordered the kit - and whadya waiting for to those who haven't.

On the pic issue i think 3 is fine.... its more of a challenge to get just 3 good shots of the overall thing...we can all open our own galleries for detailed shots of everything...means lots more eyecandy :lol:

Yup, I'm with Linda! It's tricky to get 3 great pics...but that is part of the contest.We all have Galleries after!! :( Still deciding what/how to do my Fling.....thinking hard..Whew!

All that Smoke!! :)