Greenleaf's Fifth Annual Spring Fling Contest

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had major collywobbles but, I still cut a big chunk out of one wall but, really I need to cut 2 more. The thing is, the houses are so tiny I feel like I'm destroying the structure.

Guilt....:)

:lol: Major Surgery Huh Monica. That got me wondering what it may become. I can't wait o see it!!

Well its in a very wobbly dry fit at the moment as there are still a lot of decisions to make before I commit to glue. Does anyone else get major collywobbles about bashing? Just cut a chunk out of one piece but it took me a couple of hours to work up the courage - that wood is so nice it seems a shame to bash it at all.

Always Jo!! I always worry so I think it's great you have the strength to wait till before you glue. I always glue and then look and say.... I should have done this instead and then we know how much harder it is to edit after the glue is dry (cause I still don't use power tools though I have some now :lol:).

Glad I'm not alone in this then you two. I want to cut 2 more pieces too Monica - to make doorways - oh I wish those doors had been cut and weren't fake doors because its so hard to cut a hole in something - easier if you'e cutting from the edge for a ground floor say but those second floors - makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

Actually Tracy they are just doors *giggle* I'm not bashing much this year believe it or not. I just loooooove this kit so much I wished I had more $$ to buy more of them!

Jo I know. I think one door is going to have to be a faux door because there literally is almost no room for a real one. Shhhhh don't tell anyone ;)

Is anyone having as much trouble as I am with trying to glue the main posts onto the stair kit? I have glues 6 times now, and I keep knocking them off. I guess I should be more delicate but, I'm just not!

Oh, been there Jo. I know it took me a couple weeks to get serious about cutting the last Fling piece..."should I, shouldn't I?? On and on it went and finally just said, "Oh, what's the worst that can happen?" It always works out I guess. Even when I am still unsure AFTER the major "cut", I still find ways around it...so its all "goooood" Can't wait to see what you come up with this year! :ohyeah:

Oh, been there Jo. I know it took me a couple weeks to get serious about cutting the last Fling piece..."should I, shouldn't I?? On and on it went and finally just said, "Oh, what's the worst that can happen?" It always works out I guess. Even when I am still unsure AFTER the major "cut", I still find ways around it...so its all "goooood" Can't wait to see what you come up with this year! :ohyeah:

Chris, I think my effort will be pretty similar to many this year, this building demanded to be a ************ - nothing else would do. I thought and thought about it for a couple of weeks, searching for a WOW original idea and still came back to a *********. I'm sure the same thought has occurred to many many people so I'm already selling myself short on the originality factor. Just hope I can make it different enough to be interesting. I'm with Monica, no major bashing going on but then anything thats not by the book is bashing to me - even after 2 years I'm still quite a newbie at house building.

I think I have about 15 cuts to make to the SF. I was surprised at how small it ended up being in RL. Other than using the downstairs addition room as a padded cell for solitary confinement, I don't think anything else would fit! :insane: My imagination is surely much grander than the space I have available, so we'll have to see if I can come up with something before I destroy it entirely! Even if I do destroy it, I am having so much fun doing it!

Sitting here at work thinking I must be going crazy because I can smell the laser cut wood all the way from my house (which is nowhere close). Or, I just have Spring Fling Fever something fierce. Then I realized they are doing a prairie burn in the local forest preserve. :giggle: Smells like laser cut wood incense to me! :ohyeah:

Sitting here at work thinking I must be going crazy because I can smell the laser cut wood all the way from my house (which is nowhere close). Or, I just have Spring Fling Fever something fierce. Then I realized they are doing a prairie burn in the local forest preserve. :giggle: Smells like laser cut wood incense to me! :ohyeah:

LOL... I love the smell of the laser cut wood! My husband came downstairs the other night, starts coughing and asks, "are you burning incense?" Sure thing... I was... the smell was so nice I decided to pull out some vanilla incense cones from the fall and just go all out. It makes me wish the winter fires were still in season!

I will be bashing. didnt order any additions so my main building will be getting wider by way of foamcore. Im making a ________________ for _____________ to visit. :evil:

:

I am so in love with how this construction is coming together so easily! I'm sure most of it is due to bee laser cut, and I'm afraid I'll be forever spoiled. The gluing and taping for added stability while drying really only took and hour and a half! The extension is next, and I expect it to go even faster (though with a few more books to keep the upper floor level while drying, with only one wall to hold it while drying. I'm just thrilled! Thanks Dean and Co.!

So with everyone flinging their hearts out, I am curious if I am alone in an experience I just had. I placed an order with Hobby Builders Supply on April 1st. Yesterday, when it still hadn't arrived, I called and left a message with their customer service. This morning I received a reply. Thank you for calling, your order was shipped yesterday (the day I called, 11 whole days after placing the order, hmmmmmmmmm) and you should have received notice. No, I didn't receive notice or I would not have called.

Before I let myself get really bummed over this (I can't use a supplier that takes that long and acts like it's normal) does anyone out there have anything positive to say about this?????

I've never had a problem with HBS taking a long time to ship unless something was backordered. I always have a positive experience them. Sorry to hear you didn't. :/

HBS is great, always fast, and nice. They got a lot of orders on this big sale though, and it does usually take them a bit of time with big sales to get everything out. Mine took several days as well. It could be too that your item was backordered, you can check that in your order status online. But, whenever it comes, it's always worth the wait! :)

Also, some things, like RGT houses, ship directly from the manufacturer, so that could have been some of the hold up as well.

Hope you get it soon!

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLIES RE: HBS. :) Okay, so we ALL have bad days and make mistakes. I can overlook this once. I can do a good job of forgetting this once. I just HAD to know if I was alone or what. Everyone has made me feel like I can relax, try them again and hope for better. I just couldn't believe the blase attitude from CS when they acted like it was normal. I STILL haven't gotten an order confirmation from them. I can't confirm ANYTHING until they send that. If there was a back order, anyone else would have notified me long before now. I felt rather upset. Then, I somehow knew.................the forum at Greenleaf. They will tell me the good. You did. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off to prepare another HBS order!

Thanks again :)

Morgan

Where are all the secretive and amusing _______ and _______ 's for the Fling, Folks? :unsure: Only have seen 2 so far....:whistle: I know the forum was AWOL for a bit, so either everyone is keeping very mum on it, OR are still in the "what's it gonna be" stage. :groucho: I'm opting out this year (unless.. I get the other project i"m working on done early :shifty: ) If I by some miracle of miraclesI get that one done, the Fling kit might just make a terrific addition to the project (and I have already given it a "test drive" in dry-fit, just in case LOL). We'll see how ambitious I am feeling later on..and how much moolah I have left after property taxes and dentist visits (sigh) I swear - sometimes I feel the vultures are circling lower and lower by the day..dry.gif

In the meantime, am looking forward to all the chatter on everyone's journey with it. It definitely is a "SWEET" kit to work with, and the design is too cute.

FLING ON, Everyone! :ohyeah:

So with everyone flinging their hearts out, I am curious if I am alone in an experience I just had. I placed an order with Hobby Builders Supply on April 1st. Yesterday, when it still hadn't arrived, I called and left a message with their customer service. This morning I received a reply. Thank you for calling, your order was shipped yesterday (the day I called, 11 whole days after placing the order, hmmmmmmmmm) and you should have received notice. No, I didn't receive notice or I would not have called.

Before I let myself get really bummed over this (I can't use a supplier that takes that long and acts like it's normal) does anyone out there have anything positive to say about this?????

Everyone says they are the best thing since sliced bread fab service and feedback.....i've dealt with them 3 times ...never again ...this is my 'if ya dont have anything good to say, dont say anything approach' :D

My poor spring fling project is on the back burner as I trick out some details on the fairy house and get my class ready for our RL spring musical. I'm going to have to put some serious time into it this weekend.