Greenleaf's Fifth Annual Spring Fling Contest

wow already done almost!!! impressive!!!!

Brae, wow those are impressive brave cuts....love that pic, the pile of wood makes me hmmmmmmmm LOL

Jo so glad you are happy with what you are doing!

I got my addition room yesterday and dry fitted to see if a cut i made was good, which it really wasnt so have to adjust that, fill in somehow! I swear i saw how this kit could be bought in multiples and just a whole street made from these houses! sooo want to get to it today but need to work on goats pen today, and worm goats, as they are due to begin giving birth this week....one on thurs, another in a week or so and another in another week after that!!!

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear i saw how this kit could be bought in multiples and just a whole street made from these houses!

Me too! A long cobblestoned street of houses or shops. Honestly, if I had the money and they were still discounted, I could see a large project spanning the length of my dining room wall...oh wait - I don't have the room for the houses I already own, let alone the spring fling! I think I am obsessed! It really is a great kit, though!

:hmm::ohyeah: Mine is pretty much all together and a lot of the decorating done. I'm trying to figure out how to attach the door?? Does anyone have any ideas? Still have lots to do on the exterior, but I did get the roof done. Waiting on some things to come in the mail to see how they will look, so I can move forward.

Julie, take heart I have made so many bad cuts and mistakes with this build that its a wonder anything fits together. Got to go back and redo something else now - sigh.

Great progress Lyssa, you are well ahead of the field I think. I'm so relieved that we have extra time this year though. Don't worry Jeffrey we are not all as far on as Lyssa.

Brae, that pile of wood looks daunting and on top of the huge "slice me down the middle" statement I think I'd be crying in a heap now.

I feel like I HAVE to be ahead. I will be out of state for most of June, so I have given myself the normal deadline. On top of that, I have umpteen zillion birthday parties and such to plan/go to. There isn't a free weekend until the one right before Memorial Day!!! I do a lot during nap time and after the kids have gone to bed. I also don't have as an extensive bash as Brae. :giggle:

I am stuck on the door part, too. I sat there for an hour last night, sipping on a beer, and ended up turning off the lights and going to bed because I had no idea what to do.... I think I've got it now. It involves some bashing and some building, but I think I've got it.

Anyone using their extra trim for parts?

I just thought I would add on that I really LOVE this kit! The possibilities are endless. And I particularly love how my idea is working out with it. :D

Brae, that pile of wood looks daunting and on top of the huge "slice me down the middle" statement I think I'd be crying in a heap now.

I also don't have as an extensive bash as Brae. :giggle:

I hadn't intended to cut so much, but then the ideas just kept coming and I had to listen. Last night and this morning, I painted. Now it's all black and white like a dairy cow. :lol:

Wow, sounds like everyone is moving along quickly!

I've been working slowly, but if I planned it out right will finish on time...I hope ;)

When I first saw the base, I had an idea right away...but was a little puzzled how I ws going to make it work. I went through at least 10 more ideas...but none of them felt quite right. I dry fitted my 2 additions, slept on in, and the next day, viola' figured out how to make my original idea work :) Hurray...finally really listened for those whispers from the Fling! It will be S___V___T___H_____L____

Hadn't wanted to spend much $$ on the SF cause I'm planning my friends wedding shower...but a little overtime, and I should be able to justify my purchases...if we had more time, I would have attempted to make a few of the pieces, but alas...time is ticking...

Waiting for paint to dry now....Would love to actually put the additions together tonite!

Well its morning here and a new day for fllinging. I started to put the steps together last night - how does anyone with the normal complement of 2 hands, do this? It was like fighting with a drunken octopus. Went to bed and left it - thinking of a rope ladder instead.:doh:

I've been making some furniture - first time for me - and although its far from perfect, its coming along. I would hate for any carpenter to see it close up though. I will still have to buy a few things this year despite having a loft full of bits and pieces.

Happy flinging everyone.

:w00t:

From what I've gathered, I'm not looking forward to wrestling with the stairs. :glare:

I started cutting wallpaper today...though the house is still in dry fit. I have the hardest time getting to the point of gluing it together. I keep thinking of other things I need to measure and fit in place. It may be some time still until I get it fully assembled.

For the one room, I am torn between two color schemes...looks like I'll have to build the furniture first to decide. :yes:

stairs!! LOL I think maybe i have a little head start on some regarding stairs as I make them for my gypsy wagon kits....a trick i have found is glue on first step and bottom step with the long back edge of the stair treads flat on a table....i have found this is the least frustrating way of putting stairs together and keeping them from wobbling all around and apart!!!...i am including a pic of me holding a set of stairs i have made....you would lay the treads down flat on table, like it is laying flat on my hand if that makes sense? post-5162-0-26960900-1303321792_thumb.jp

me, i did spring flinging last night as i got up and down and up and down to look out kitchen window and go outside to check on goat in labor...was up till 4 am and worked on the sf till around 2 and still feel like i got nowhere LOL....then went to bed for an hour at around 4 am, got up and bam the babies, 2, had been born in that hour!

Me too. I'm dying to get it glued together but so far I have only glued bits of it, for exactly those reasons, this needs to be done before that etc etc etc. I have the ground floors of 2 parts of the building glued but not actually fixed together. Upstairs hasn't really been started.

Tried with the steps again - and abandoned them again must have something misaligned so I'll wait for a peppy day. If a wasp landed on them at the moment I think they'd collapse.

Does anyone else seem to have millions of bits of trim. Some of mine fell out of the sheets before I could label them and other bits got cleared away with trim from another part of the house. I'm sure I have enough for about 8 false doors here plus some more random bits. It will all come good in the end I keep telling myself.

stairs!! LOL I think maybe i have a little head start on some regarding stairs as I make them for my gypsy wagon kits....a trick i have found is glue on first step and bottom step with the long back edge of the stair treads flat on a table....i have found this is the least frustrating way of putting stairs together and keeping them from wobbling all around and apart!!!...i am including a pic of me holding a set of stairs i have made....you would lay the treads down flat on table, like it is laying flat on my hand if that makes sense? post-5162-0-26960900-1303321792_thumb.jp

me, i did spring flinging last night as i got up and down and up and down to look out kitchen window and go outside to check on goat in labor...was up till 4 am and worked on the sf till around 2 and still feel like i got nowhere LOL....then went to bed for an hour at around 4 am, got up and bam the babies, 2, had been born in that hour!

Congrats on your 2 new kids Julie, shame you missed it.

The actual steps are not the problem its the gangly legs that the whole contraption stands on that are leading me a dance. They keep going every which way - lol

oh all the posts and such...yeah i wished i had several hands at that point!!! had to give up, leave 2 posts not quite secure and come back when everything else was set well LOL

and thanks! yeah i was bummed i didnt get to see them born, but they were still very wet so i got to rub them warm and dry in a towel :yes:

Well I've just finished the castle keep and the entrance tower and I'm now working on the drawbridge - lol just kidding, nothing so grand but I did get to do a bit of landscaping today. The buildings aren't even glued together yet but this build is taking me down roads less travelled.

Hows everyone getting on with theirs - you are all VERY quiet - usually this thread is buzzing.

LOL on your castle info :groucho: I am plodding along, seemingly getting nowhere! those steps that take forever and show little progress sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :angry: but got some ______ that hubby picked up for me cut and can't wait to get to the point where i can put them on! meanwhile planning how to make a ______ (though may have found one for less than $20 which would same me tons of time...still can't spend $20 here and then another there and on and on!) and some _______and of course need some wooden ______....and debating on wallpaper in one room

Waitin' on the mail carrier today. Well, that's not true...I've been working on bits here and there today...the fourth straight day of my mini-fest. But, when the mail comes, I'll be totally distracted with other things. :D Happy flinging!

I haven't done anything but put mine in a rough dryfit mode. RL has been busy, April is the month of birthdays it seems so my weekends have been claimed. And now both of my kids came down sick, both with ear infections, who'd have thought it possible? Poor babies, I hate it when they are sick... I have a plan all worked out on what mine will be and how it'll look but I'm afraid it isn't original in the slightest. With how things have been I'm afraid I won't get started till it's too late to enter ...

I finally did some mini-ing today for my SF.It's my very first attempt at any of this, so I am looking at this more as a learning experience. I printed out some patterned carpet and managed to pull together a tufted chaise after about 3 days of cutting, gluing, and sewing. It's amazing what you can do with an old pillowcase, scrap wood, foam packing material, some fishing line, and some seed beads! :thumb:

What a great looking little structure! I can see what I would do with it right away! I just joined this forum...so I missed the deadline for the reduced price....that can't be extended for new members? Just thought I'd ask! :)

Hows everyone getting on with theirs - you are all VERY quiet - usually this thread is buzzing.

RL getting in the way! But now that I've gotten the furry people scrubbed, if I can give the bathrooms a lick and a promise, maybe I can get a little done this afternoon...! :p

Well, things are going painfully slow around here.

Haven't quite finished up the Easter outfits yet. Have a tulle and satin slip for the resident princess still to go.

Finally got the go ahead from the MD to use power tools again. Yeah !!!

I do have all the basic stuff cut out (additional custom pieces I needed to cut myself, too).

But I have some shaping type cutting still to do but have to refit everything and test it again before I dare to do that - cuz it's final then.

Everything is primed and flat at this point.

Four small boxes with bits and pieces and goodies have arrived. Waiting on two more. Made one trip on the craft store circuit too.

So the code for mine is "D_____ W______ O___ S______ C_______" but on the spiritual/mystical side of life.

Good luck everyone.

Remember, it's never too late to begin !!!!

Fling on ......