Puppy passed away.

Kabrina

Well this weekend was hard. On friday I came home to find one of my puppies, Haplo, acting funny. He seemed depressed, but when I got up on Saturday he had lost wait overnight, wasn't eating and was vomitting. I tried everything to get him to hold over till Monday as our vets aren't open on the weekends. Yesterday morning I found he had passed away in the night. I'm am really worried about my other puppy Max. He has no symptoms but when I called the vet this morning to get him in asap just to be sure they said it sounded like Parvo and that Max will have it too. They got me in early this afternoon. They said there are things they can do to help him but I'm worried it won't be enough. They were going to be brought in this week for the puppy check up and vacinations but I was too late for Haplo. I feel horrible, like it's my fault. Looking back I keep thinking what if I had just done this or that, would it have made a difference? My hubby says there was nothing I could have done, sometimes it happens, but I still feel guilty. Wish me luck that Max makes it through.

awww sooo sorry Kabrina! I had a dog that had puppies and all of them got parvo! and i was like 6 months pregnant soooo needless to say i was a wreck! one puppy went to the vets to get treated and the others I took care of, giving meds and forcing fluids down throat etc....all of them survived except the one at the vets! So it can be done!!! good luck!!! hugssss

Oh Kabrina, I am so sorry to hear about your loss! It is tough to lose a fur kid. It is so hard when they get sick on weekends, too. I hope you are not too hard on yourself and I hope that the treatment works so Max can make a complete recovery.

Hugs to you.

Well this weekend was hard. On friday I came home to find one of my puppies, Haplo, acting funny. He seemed depressed, but when I got up on Saturday he had lost wait overnight, wasn't eating and was vomitting. I tried everything to get him to hold over till Monday as our vets aren't open on the weekends. Yesterday morning I found he had passed away in the night. I'm am really worried about my other puppy Max. He has no symptoms but when I called the vet this morning to get him in asap just to be sure they said it sounded like Parvo and that Max will have it too. They got me in early this afternoon. They said there are things they can do to help him but I'm worried it won't be enough. They were going to be brought in this week for the puppy check up and vacinations but I was too late for Haplo. I feel horrible, like it's my fault. Looking back I keep thinking what if I had just done this or that, would it have made a difference? My hubby says there was nothing I could have done, sometimes it happens, but I still feel guilty. Wish me luck that Max makes it through.

Oh, Kabrina, I am so very sorry. I truly am.

I will pray that Max pulls through. Bless his heart. You are both in my prayers.

I just got back from the vet with Max. As of right now he tests negative for Parvo. YAY! They said he is very healthy weighing in at 18.2 lbs. They can't guaruntee he won't still get the Parvo but they gave him his first set of vacs. and all the things he needs for his age and we are to bring him in again in 3 wks for his next shots. They said because he's showing no symptoms, is active, eats EVERYTHING lol and all around a normal puppy that he has a high chance of not getting it at all. So I have my fingers crossed. They told me to watch him and if he starts acting funny call them any time even on weekends, they have an emergency number for weekends. I am so relieved I could cry!

quick edit: Just had to say, hubby asked about how big will he get. They said he'll probably be about 70-80lbs just looking at him now at 10wks!

Happy to hear Max is O.K. So sorry about the other puppy. We always want to blame ourselves when something happens to our little fur babies. I'm sure you did everything right. We can't always save them. ((((((())))))'s

Very sad to hear about your pup. It sure doesn't take long to love them so much does it. Just wanted to share with you a really cute story I saw on the news tonight. Perhaps you've seen it too. It's about a little boy who told his parents that he went to Heaven during a surgery he had when he was very little. He wrote a book (or his Dad wrote it with him). Anyway, it's called "Heaven is For Real." He said that he met Jesus, saw his Grandpa who had really big wings. Then he said "there are lots of animals in Heaven." It was really sweet and comforting too :) especially when you're an animal lover and lose one of your babies.

Jennifer, no I didn't see that but that is really sweet. I think kids are very sensitive to things like that. My son woke up Sunday morning, he's 3 and we hadn't told him that Haplo was sick, first thing he said to me when he came out of his bedroom was he was sad, that his black puppy had run away to play with neighbor dogs and wouldn't be coming home. I went out to check Haplo then and found he hadn't made it. Aidan was ok after that. Never asked for Haplo because to him Haplo was with other dogs.

Kelli, I'm sorry to hear about your kitten. I just saw your thread and you did a wonderful thing! That kitten knew love and comfort in it's tiny short life. It's people like you who make life great.

Kabrina, So sorry about your losing Haplo. It is so difficult. Listen to your husband, and try to stay away from the "what ifs", although I know that it is alot easier to say than to do. Hope the very best for Max. Janet

Dogs are much more amazing creatures than us humans. My canine children will be glad to confirm this. Haplo doesn't blame you. I once read in Dear Abby :) the best way to honor a lost pet is to love another. Just keep honoring Haplo by loving Max and other dogs that come into your life.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

Morgan

I want to say thank you to everyone, you've made me feel better about the situation. When I got up this morning Max was up and playing, unfortunatley he was playing with his water bowl LOL guess he thought it was fun tossing it in the air and catching it. He loves bowls of any kind, big or small he doesn't care. He's a great puppy and I'm very happy that he's doing as well as he is. I was afraid he'd be lonely but there is a big dog who roams the neighborhood, (very sweet looks like an Australian Shepard with a lopped tail) who's taken to Max as if he was his puppy although he still acts like a puppy himself( I think it's a he?). He must belong to someone, he's very clean and sweet mannered , and has a collar but no tag. However he spends most of his time at my house now with Max. I don't even know who he belongs to. I've been keeping an eye on him too just to make sure he doesn't get sick either. Told my husband we've been adopted. LOL

I am so sorry for you loss. Do not beat yourself up about it..these things happen. Believe me! I have been there myself. Forgive me for not knowing but did you say what breed. Do you have pictures?

Max's mother was a Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever mix and the father is unknown. However, as we were driving away with the puppies we saw a humungous Great Dane in the yard next door who had the coloring of Haplo :) kinda hoping that wasn't the daddy. LOL http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/1298241578/gallery_4501_4713_269006.jpg

This was a picture taken on the ride home, they were sound asleep in my lap the whole way home. Max is the one on top, golden colored, and Haplo was the black one on the bottom. I have more recent pictures of Max but not with me. I can upload one tonight after work. He's much much bigger now.

Well it's been 4 days since the visit and Max is still running around as happy as can be, no symptoms and eats like a trooper. He's so unbelievably smart. Amazes me every day how well he learns. I love this little guy!