What's everyone working on?

Joanie, that is a gorgeous house!

My own disaster will be coming home next Monday. At that point, just about all that has been changed on it will be done. I have a few odd things here and there to do yet (basement comes to mind), but mostly it's finished.

This is sort of a revamp of what I've done to the house since I've gotten it - I think I've posted most of this before in one thread or another.

I started with the Hofco Americana, a house with a traditional build of a center hall,a room on either side, a second floor (same configuration) and a third floor attic area reached by lifting the back roof. It had a two story addition on either side, one was full room sized, the other was half room sized, both with a small hinged roofs to access the their third floors . The house also had a gable in the center of the roof and a large porch across the front. So, these are the changes I've made:

I took off the back roof and raised it so the attic area is much more open and accessible from the back without lifting anything. I also added a couple walls to make a third floor center hall in the former attic and two more rooms. One of those rooms got a skylight and both of them got a dormer window on either side of the gable. Both rooms just had short kneewalls put in yesterday. The gable itself was raised, as the original was only about 4" high. The gable window was also replaced. I am still considering making the area under the gable into another bathroom.

The entire half room addition has now been enlarged to a full sized room addition. The bottom room is a sunroom and window openings have been cut out to fit the casement windows I can hopefully get next month (Anna, those are the windows I want to get from that shop in Sweden). The room above that had the walls sawn out, arched walls put in, and is now an outside sleeping porch. Above that the third floor area under the roof was also enlarged. That whole side was glued and nailed together yesterday, along with finally getting the roof on. I guess I should add that there isn't much left of the original structure. LOL

On the second floor of the house itself, about the only thing that was done was recutting the library wall to be able to install a double French door out to the sleeping porch and to cut a doorway with a circlehead for the library door. I had put a window seat in the center hall, but I may change that out for a circlehead window. I need to get the window first, though. I am also considering putting a half bath under the second story stairway. Both windows in the library and the master bedroom were moved to center them.

On the first floor of the house, I added a bay window to the living room. The stairs were switched around on both the first and second floors, so I had to cut new stairwells for both staircases. A coat closet was added under the first floor staircase. A new front door opening was cut out. New window cutouts were made for the dining room.

The addition on the other side of the house was a full sized addition. That addition contains the kitchen, the master bathroom, and a bathroom for the third floor bedroom. On the first floor, I extended the kitchen forward to enlarge it and cut a door opening for double French doors to go out to the front porch. Above the kitchen is the master bathroom. The ceiling was dropped in the master bathroom so that I could make the small attic room above that into a bathroom for the third floor bedroom. That doesn't sound like much, but it involved taking off the whole addition and putting it back on again. Yesterday I added three different heights of kneewalls to the third floor bathroom so I could fit into that itty bitty space a tub, sink, and toilet.

Then I added another addition on to the original addition. This one contains the laundry room, the mudroom, and what was supposed to be the pantry. The room above this under the roof is now a master walk-in closet. The room that was supposed to be the pantry has now been divided and one half is a half bath and the other half contains a stairwell which will be the stairway to the basement. The basement will contain the now larger pantry and a couple of other rooms. If you're counting, the house currently has 2 full baths and 1 half bath, but I'd like to add another full bath and another half bath. And maybe I'll fit another half bath in the basement. I want my little people to be comfy!

The porch has still not been put on in the front and I plan on making the formerly flat porch roof a sloped one. I also have to put a  porch roof on over the mudroom door. The porch itself cuts back to the sides of the house in straight angles. I am still trying to think of a way to curve both the porch and the porch roof a la Duracraft's Farmhouse. I'm not sure that can even be done and it'll be a while before I can try, too. I also need to cut some end pieces for the porch roof which disappeared in all the construction. I found one piece yesterday in the third floor bathroom. I knew what it was because I had written "porch roof" on it and didn't see that before I made it into a new roof for the third floor bathroom (who knows what happened to the original roof).

So there's still things to be done. And I suppose I should mention that I did more than a couple things over, changed some things, changed them to something else, didn't like what I did and changed them back to the first change I did. The house looks like a patchwork quilt of wood now and there are gaps all over because I can't saw a straight line to save my life. I also can't hammer very well. Yesterday I was trying to hammer in two nails - I finally got that completed using the 11th and 12th nails.

I'm also prone to forgetfulness. When I glued and nailed in the sunroom roof, I used a large piece of wood to support it in the back so it wouldn't fall while I nailed it in. What I forgot was that the sunroom is completely enclosed except for the window openings, and once the ceiling above it was nailed in, there was no way to get that piece of wood out of the room (we finally did get it out - just). And it just occurred to me I may have this little problem in decorating that room, too.

Anyway, I still have to get a camera but to be honest, I'm really embarrassed about all the gaps and the different pieces of wood filling in spaces, and also embarrassed about my lack of sawing skills. I'll be putting the album up with a few pictures in a couple weeks, but I don't think I'm going to post pics of the whole house until I have the gaps filled and the house is primed.

On the other hand, progress on the house may go a little faster now, because I won't be limited to working it for just a few hours a week. I'll have 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week to just play with it.

Thanks for letting me ramble here, everybody!

• Like 4

This is what I was working on this weekend:  a "Wendy's" cake for my hubby's Aunt.  :)  His Aunt & Uncle go to Wendy's just about every day-sometimes twice a day! LOL

After that my back went out again, so not sure if I will get down to the work room this week or not.  :(

1604844_10207953607540645_69622962707910

• Like 4

image.thumb.jpeg.a7ad03581bcaddee401ea77image.thumb.jpeg.558fe8796b7fb9edd1c299fimage.thumb.jpeg.3f91e2dac09fdd747f58d01I drew out the template for the third floor on material I had laying around and sewed a "carpet" for the third floor until I get around to making better floors. I also added washi tape as trim to all the wood edges and now the house is ready to be moved into and decorated for Christmas! Still lots and lots of work to do on it for, well, forever, but the goal was to get it to a place we could decorate it this year for Christmas and its there!

• Like 1

Joanie that house is amazingly huge! LOL  You did a great job getting it ready for the holiday decorating so quickly.  Do post pics of it all decked out!  :)

When we lived at our big house I would decorate my huge Artply Barrington Victorian for Christmas and put a little string of lights positioned inside so that it looked like there was a candle in each of the windows.  My work area at the time was in the loft above the living room, so the big house sat on a low table at the railing - and was the first thing people would look up and see when they walked in the front door.  :)  Loved that!  

• Like 3

Well, the Worthington needs an overhaul - thanks to the humidity in Mississippi - some of the wallpapers warped, and one of the textile wallcoverings leaked glue. I decided I'll rip it all out and start over........... at least I bought working windows that would fit - I might just redo the whole thing.......

• Like 2

A long time ago, I bought a few big bags of different kinds of buttons. In it were quite a few "crystal" buttons that had raised edges. I used them to make "glass" candy dishes. Sorry the image is so bad, but it is cropped from a very old photo.

Today I went to Walmart, and found some big packages of "crystal" buttons in assortments, so I bought those, and they had quite a few buttons in them similar to what I used in this photo. I also found a bag of assorted wooden and brown plastic buttons, and there are some really neat wooden "plates" and shallow "bowls" in that one. Perfect for fimo doll house food, and the price was right! I wish they had had more than one bag of those.

Anyway, when you are at Walmart, check out the buttons in the sewing section!

candy dishes.jpg

Currently have a Greenleaf Haunted House on the go, which was supposed to become a Witch's house but it just wasn't happening. After leaving her alone for a year, it's all systems go turning her into a pretty Victorian cottage!!! 

Also so just took delivery of a semi finished dura craft queen Anne which is an early Xmas present from my sister. She's already talking to me and the ideas are flowing!

• Like 1

Ken, great job on that house!! Love the flag, the flooring, the colors, and that staircase is outstanding. Oh, and that chimney, too! Lucky granddaughter!

Trims, touch ups, trims, more touch ups, door hardware, oh and some more trims. The Orchid is on the home stretch! Oh, those shingles...good grief....each one needs a wee trim and a swipe with the sandpaper to get rid of the splinters. I'm trying to do a handful a day...maybe by Christmas I'll be ready to shingle?   

I haven't been on here for awhile. Sorry. I've popped in a couple times but the upgrades were going on and it was too confusing to stop and figure it out. Anyhow, just wanted you all to know I'm still kickin'.  I've been working on crafts - signed on for 5 craft bazaars this season - one in October and 4 in November. Last weekend was an awesome one, and I have one more to go next weekend. Having fun with teacup fairy gardens and breakaway boxes. These can be more whimsical and scale is not so important. I tried to add some pictures to my gallery but I guess it didn't work. I'll try again when I have more time.

• Like 1

The interior of the Orchid is DONE!!!! I'm going to give it a good look over in better lighting to see if I need a dot of paint here or there, but all of the walls, trims, paints, etc are finished. WHEW!! The exterior is done except for the shingles, and I might add a bit of moss to the foundation. Now on to all of the furnishings!! Woohoo!!! 

• Like 2

so yesterday, I searched everywhere for my staircase pieces for the Garf....I was looking for stained pieces. silly me. I had not stained them and everything was sitting inside of the Garfield where I left the items. ....so I stained them. LOL. can't make any progress without the stairs. I need to cut openings to fit so until they are put together that part of the project is on hold. I am doing a kit bash like the one I did on this house before. (I sold that one because I didn't think I would ever get around to it,, those staircases were stained and glued together :) )....anyway, I did stain the wood a different color this time. went with gunstock instead of red oak. .everything I do stain is red oak so I needed a lighter change.......I did start painting the windows a 2nd coat of paint but only got thru half of the windows. so glad I got the window upgrade kit for this house years ago :) 

I also worked on the Lily a little bit. This house is so close to being done. just need to install the floors in the attic then polyurethane all the wood/ wood flooring. I need to touch up the exterior trim paint then put a matte finish sealer on it. still haven't taken photos of this house for some reason.

I bought the Diana 1/12th scale kit yesterday....cant wait for it to arrive!!!

• Like 1

Marg.... you always seem to have such large projects going on a couple at same time...where do you work!! I wanna see that!:eek:

no mini work for me...have the globe house furniture out and in various stages of done to go into the house...these grans seem to sidetrack me

also been working via video chat with the SIL to improve her crafting space in her tiny apt has me inspired to get mine a bit more organised....I am looking to add 2 matching book cases to either side of my 4 ft work table then attach shelves between them giving me a wall of shelves for my ever growing clear shoe boxes...

I am making room for my dream dollhouse....more details of that to follow when she arrives....there is much buzz in my huge storage container of just for me furniture that has never actually lived in a house....which room will be theirs....will I be picked?  its all very exciting! just a few more weeks now.....:happydance:

• Like 1