What's everyone working on?

4 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I love the color scheme, Kathi.  Is it yours, or the grandson's?  I finally gave up on the chicken coop, too many little skinny bits that didn't want to play nice with one another.

Thanks Holly, I was trying to figure out colors that weren't too girly, and decided to go with greens and cream for one boy, and golden browns and cream for the other. I feel kind of bad that I won't have time to shingle it, but it looks fine the way it is.

Now I just need to do the sign, spackle and paint over the slots, and add a few trim pieces to cover up the raw edges. The furniture is up at my mother's, but it's all done.

Why am I shopping the online sales for more kits? Suddenly I must have an Arthur and a Glencroft. These are not in the immediate plans at all. I'm really almost done with the building of the Orchid, already have supplies and some furnishings for the next build (RGT Barn) and the trailer and the Westville are in line after that. I really don't quite know where all of these will go when they are done, so I shouldn't even look for another kit, but suddenly I'm having a flight of ideas for those two houses. I can see an all-white Arthur with a stone foundation, or maybe the whole thing covered in stone. A stone and stucco Glencroft with fabulous fireplaces and wonderful black iron hardware. Oh, and leaded windows...I did those for the Orchid and was very pleased with how they turned out, but I'd love to try something more challenging, and maybe some with color....I seem to have a case of mini fever. It doesn't help that my web browser sends up links/images to all of these kits on every other side bar, either. Maybe someone will buy them for me for Christmas and I can blame them for indulging me.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎47‎:‎05‎, nuttiwebgal said:

Marg.... you always seem to have such large projects going on a couple at same time...where do you work!! I wanna see that!:eek:

no mini work for me...have the globe house furniture out and in various stages of done to go into the house...these grans seem to sidetrack me

also been working via video chat with the SIL to improve her crafting space in her tiny apt has me inspired to get mine a bit more organised....I am looking to add 2 matching book cases to either side of my 4 ft work table then attach shelves between them giving me a wall of shelves for my ever growing clear shoe boxes...

I am making room for my dream dollhouse....more details of that to follow when she arrives....there is much buzz in my huge storage container of just for me furniture that has never actually lived in a house....which room will be theirs....will I be picked?  its all very exciting! just a few more weeks now.....:happydance:

I live alone in a 3 bedroom house with a partial basement. the unbuilt kits and some unfinished houses are in the basement. the two spare bedrooms have all the large and small built homes and the under construction homes and there are two under construction dollhouses in the small front room. I have the lily on the kitchen table and the garf is currently living on top of the dogs kennel in the kitchen. LOL. I have 4 room boxes in various stages of completion in the family room and the garf windows are currently on the coffee table in the family room ;) so there is stuff in almost every room in the house.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Why am I shopping the online sales for more kits? Suddenly I must have an Arthur and a Glencroft. These are not in the immediate plans at all. I'm really almost done with the building of the Orchid, already have supplies and some furnishings for the next build (RGT Barn) and the trailer and the Westville are in line after that. I really don't quite know where all of these will go when they are done, so I shouldn't even look for another kit, but suddenly I'm having a flight of ideas for those two houses. I can see an all-white Arthur with a stone foundation, or maybe the whole thing covered in stone. A stone and stucco Glencroft with fabulous fireplaces and wonderful black iron hardware. Oh, and leaded windows...I did those for the Orchid and was very pleased with how they turned out, but I'd love to try something more challenging, and maybe some with color....I seem to have a case of mini fever. It doesn't help that my web browser sends up links/images to all of these kits on every other side bar, either. Maybe someone will buy them for me for Christmas and I can blame them for indulging me.

I love the glencroft, I have built two of them!!!! you have to get one!!!

Went shopping today, and my birthday is coming up, so my mother bought me a Chopper II.

I have an easy cutter, but it disappeared somewhere, so I have been trying to use my Xacto miter box, which isn't very accurate to work on the boys' dollhouses.

I can't wait until my birthday so I can try it!

Has anyone else got one, and if you do, do you like it?

chopper.jpg

Kathi, that looks like a VERY cool toy! I wonder how thick it will cut? I got an Easy Cutter last year for Christmas. I like it for small thin wood, but thicker stock like crown molding, it seems to pinch the wood quite a bit. I'm looking for a new gizmo, so let us know how you like it.

I like the Brimbles a lot. the trim and the windows are very cool!

Well, the Glencroft has been added to my Christmas wish list, so we'll see what Santa brings. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Kathi, that looks like a VERY cool toy! I wonder how thick it will cut? I got an Easy Cutter last year for Christmas. I like it for small thin wood, but thicker stock like crown molding, it seems to pinch the wood quite a bit. I'm looking for a new gizmo, so let us know how you like it.

I like the Brimbles a lot. the trim and the windows are very cool!

Well, the Glencroft has been added to my Christmas wish list, so we'll see what Santa brings. 

It only cuts up to 1/4". Since I do a lot of cutting thinner stuff, I figured it would be worth it just to have some neater cuts. My Easy Cutter used to pinch the thicker molding too, but I liked it for most things, and I hope I find it soon. I remember there were things I didn't like about the easy cutter though, I just don't remember what they were, it's been so long since I used it.

Anyway, a girl can never have too many tools, right??? And since it's a gift, I figured this was a good time to get it!

Thanks for the comments about the Brimbles. I really like that store!

3 hours ago, chapchap73 said:

Love that cutter! I got a similar styled one from MicroMark last Christmas.

Chop-It

I got it to use mostly for 1/4 scale cuts...if RL would stop interrupting my mini time!

Thanks for letting me know that you like it. :-)

The chop-it is exactly the same as the first generation of the chopper, so I expect I will love mine too!

1 hour ago, Sable said:

It looks good for flat angle cuts like window frames but I don't think it will make the cut required for crown or baseboard corners.  

I do like making wainscotting, doors and windows, and molding made by building up layers of basswood strips though, so I think it will be easier for that than the easy cutter, since you can cut a bunch of stuff to the same length easily.

• Like 1

Whew!  Five Craft Bazaars are now history!  Teacup scenes, fairy gardens, breakaway boxes, demitasse coffee scenes, and one fairy fountain - most of which are sold. Itching to get back to my 'real' miniatures.  At the last event I met a lady who has been a friend on Facebook for quite awhile. She's another miniaturist, and we have several mutual friends; we attended the same college but not at the same time. She lives in Montana and has family out here in WA and was here for Thanksgiving. Always fun to meet a miniaturist friend in person. 

My Federal Manor is calling to me. This year I want to make some serious progress on it. :construction:

• Like 1

I want to start on my Federal manor too, I have plans on turning it into more of a French Chateau style when I'm done bashing it. For the moment though, I'm putting literally all of my projects on hold. Pulled out an older Craigslist find, a McKinley that had been painted(of course the same blue as the pic on the box). It was never put together so I've been matching up parts and pieces against the directions all afternoon. I'm hoping to bash it some to make that third floor more usable, and if possible do a second tower on the other back corner of the house. If you can't tell I'm attempting to make this into a themed "Princess Castle". I got started in miniatures, and on this forum specifically when my oldest niece requested a dollhouse by building the Laurel. This year I'm hoping the McKinley will be a proper castle that can grow with my youngest niece. OH, and major point for the day I finally got an addition for my computer that I should be able to download pics from my SD card again! So, going to attempt to photograph my progress as I make this house into her castle.  :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CheckMouse said:

Whew!  Five Craft Bazaars are now history!  Teacup scenes, fairy gardens, breakaway boxes, demitasse coffee scenes, and one fairy fountain - most of which are sold. Itching to get back to my 'real' miniatures.  At the last event I met a lady who has been a friend on Facebook for quite awhile. She's another miniaturist, and we have several mutual friends; we attended the same college but not at the same time. She lives in Montana and has family out here in WA and was here for Thanksgiving. Always fun to meet a miniaturist friend in person. 

My Federal Manor is calling to me. This year I want to make some serious progress on it. :construction:

Wow, you must be tired after all those bazaars. They are fun, but a lot of work! I had never visited your galleries before tonight. You have made a lot of beautiful things!

That Federal Manor is beautiful, it should be really fun to decorate!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, minikelli said:

I want to start on my Federal manor too, I have plans on turning it into more of a French Chateau style when I'm done bashing it. For the moment though, I'm putting literally all of my projects on hold. Pulled out an older Craigslist find, a McKinley that had been painted(of course the same blue as the pic on the box). It was never put together so I've been matching up parts and pieces against the directions all afternoon. I'm hoping to bash it some to make that third floor more usable, and if possible do a second tower on the other back corner of the house. If you can't tell I'm attempting to make this into a themed "Princess Castle". I got started in miniatures, and on this forum specifically when my oldest niece requested a dollhouse by building the Laurel. This year I'm hoping the McKinley will be a proper castle that can grow with my youngest niece. OH, and major point for the day I finally got an addition for my computer that I should be able to download pics from my SD card again! So, going to attempt to photograph my progress as I make this house into her castle.  :)

A castle should be so much fun, I can't wait to see it!

2 hours ago, minikelli said:

Do check out the Team McKinley building blog, one of the builders did change the roofline.

Holly, actually a couple did both Linda and Tracy -- that's where I got the idea for making the third floor more usable. It's the matter she's so into princesses/castles etc, that I thought this would be fun to really bash and see what I could do. Just wish her parents would have let me know earlier she wanted Aunt Kelli to make one so I had more time to really get it right. lol

Holly, actually a couple did both Linda and Tracy -- that's where I got the idea for making the third floor more usable. It's the matter she's so into princesses/castles etc, that I thought this would be fun to really bash and see what I could do. Just wish her parents would have let me know earlier she wanted Aunt Kelli to make one so I had more time to really get it right. lol

So, it took a while but I'm about finished with the first wood floor for the Worthington. I'm replacing the old parquet (nice way to say: ripped out the original) with a diamond pattern. My 'homegrown' cutting jig made it real easy to cut several rolls of iron-on veneer to size. I glued them down in a star-pattern which somehow makes it a 3D cube pattern......*still trying to figure that one out*. 

Anywho, some of you know that I like it realistic and therefore looking used and lived in. I stained the floor, stained saw dust to fill the gaps, sanded in-between and tried for a really smooth surface. Then I realized there is so much veneer to sand...... that's when I started to play with some old varnish, tinting it, using a rag to polish it in - I'm now on my second coat of varnish and will see how that will look after a few more coats.

Well, here is what I have so far:

large.IMG_0748.JPG.7313df1a1927d927d9ca8large.IMG_0749.JPG.649bfc5bae4040c579d0c

• Like 6