What's everyone working on?

Very cool floor!

So, if you check out the daily pics you will see the Christmas box I am working on....and the unusually FAT Christmas tree! LOL  I made that thing in a class probably 20 some years ago - back when my mini skills were just blossoming.  So anyway- today during my lunch break I gave the tree a "haircut" and shaped it to a more pleasing shape.  :)   Now to sift thru my stash of ornaments and re-decorate it!  Yay!

Chris, when I first saw that floor, I thought you had gold leafed it. Very, very pretty!

4 hours ago, jbnmini said:

Very cool floor!

So, if you check out the daily pics you will see the Christmas box I am working on....and the unusually FAT Christmas tree! LOL  I made that thing in a class probably 20 some years ago - back when my mini skills were just blossoming.  So anyway- today during my lunch break I gave the tree a "haircut" and shaped it to a more pleasing shape.  :)   Now to sift thru my stash of ornaments and re-decorate it!  Yay!

"..gave the tree a haircut...".  That's priceless!

Sue, I used iron-on wood veneer, made a cutting jig  -photo here: large.SAM_1017.JPG.4dbd8b49a7a6d92580914

Diamonds have a 30-60-30-60 angle and you just cut them. Iron them onto illustration board (that's what I use because it doesn't warp). Then it's sanding, staining, sanding, varnish, sanding, varnish...... etc. until you get a smooth surface - almost like glass. I prefer varnish because the resin in it "gunks" up in the little gaps, so you need less coats/ I tried it with poly before and didn't like the glossy look, the floor has a more velvet sheen and feel to it. And it looks like a old, realistic parquet due to the color variations that you get with the sanding. Also, I prefer varnish because it works with just about any woodstain - I color the varnish lightly with the stain I used on the floor which gives it  bit more depth.

• Like 3

The boys' dollhouses are almost done, so I dug out two realife miniature kits I've had for years, one is the Heritage Dining Room, and the other is the Heritage Bedroom, plus a House of Miniatures grandfather clock, and am starting to work on those for my granddaughter for her house. (While waiting for glue to set on the houses).

I'm so glad I can finally make some really nice furniture for her after all those years of cheap stuff that you don't have to worry about breaking! :-)

Trying to figure out what goes where, and make sure I have all I need. Found this in one of the drawers in my grandma's antique sewing machine table:

Legacy.jpg

Anybody ever seen or know anything about it?

It is a Russian Doll sort of flat head screwdriver. Each one fits inside the large one. The small one would almost work for a dollhouse shop. It looks to be brass, and it looks like it is made from old bullet casings. My grandpa was quite an inventive guy, and made some very clever tools. Did he make this, or was it issued to him when he was in the Army? Hmmm... A mystery, but a warm heart smile today, for sure!

It was probably issued to your grandpa, Jodi.  My grandpa had one, and his eyesight kept him out of the Services.  In fact, I remember Daddy had his own.  The smallest one would probably work for Ken.

• Like 1

My mother has an old one of those, exactly like yours. Every once in a while, you can find them now, but they usually aren't brass. I always was fascinated by my other's when I was growing up, and she found one for me a number of years ago. The one she found for me was made of aluminum with steel screwdriver points, and has a hammer for the largest one with screw drivers inside.

A couple of years ago, I saw some aluminum ones on a store display on a counter. I really like them!

edit: I just found out that there were at least two companies who made these, one was called Gam and the other was called Frey.

edit again: you can buy some new ones on this page

http://www.millercastproducts.com/gam-hammer-and-screwdrivers/

Nesting screwdriver set, Many different types I have one that is part of a hammer. This is not one of those.. Could and is probably part of the sewing machine repair kit. I will do some more research and see what I can dig up for you.

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

It was probably issued to your grandpa, Jodi.  My grandpa had one, and his eyesight kept him out of the Services.  In fact, I remember Daddy had his own.  The smallest one would probably work for Ken.

Wow, Holly! Both dad and grandpa  had them! I guess back then even it was a "thing"!

3 hours ago, kathi17 said:

My mother has an old one of those, exactly like yours. Every once in a while, you can find them now, but they usually aren't brass. I always was fascinated by my other's when I was growing up, and she found one for me a number of years ago. The one she found for me was made of aluminum with steel screwdriver points, and has a hammer for the largest one with screw drivers inside.

A couple of years ago, I saw some aluminum ones on a store display on a counter. I really like them!

edit: I just found out that there were at least two companies who made these, one was called Gam and the other was called Frey.

edit again: you can buy some new ones on this page

http://www.millercastproducts.com/gam-hammer-and-screwdrivers/

Thanks so much for the link and the info, Kathi! If I had seen this as a little girl, I would have begged my grandparents for the little one! It is a really neat tool! I love clever tools!

3 hours ago, Ken said:

Nesting screwdriver set, Many different types I have one that is part of a hammer. This is not one of those.. Could and is probably part of the sewing machine repair kit. I will do some more research and see what I can dig up for you.

Ken that would make total sense since it was found with my grandma's stuff! My grandpa would never have left tools loose - there was a place for every thing in his shop. If you borrowed it, you better bring it back!

I think I'm going to order one. Maybe two, the ones with the hammer, in flat and phillips head. The ones in my link are a lot more rugged than the aluminum one my mother got me. They wouldn't be good for heavy duty work, but would be great for me with my crafts, and they are nicer than the ones in the plastic cases!

• Like 1

I shouldn't have bought myself a Christmas present, but I had to get the claw hammer with the straight set, and the ball peen hammer with the phillips set. I'm always looking for small screwdrivers and hammers, and these are fun!

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

blush5.gif

It was a joke. And a bad one, I might add. 

I um, took it out.

Going off now to create chaos and confusion somewhere else.......

*slinks away*

Meh, sometimes things don't come across the keyboard the same way it sounded in our heads. In my case, I can be in a odd mood and post something that I later read and go, "Whaaaa? Whhhyyyyy did I put that?" It happens. :)