What's everyone working on?

Have had fun weaving a little more in between working on the swap  items. Getting into a rythm of the process and in between drying (My least favourite part of crafting!) phases I am fiddling with the wicker armchair.

large.image.jpg.bbd0887f7d8506dcc211901a

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I see that a kitty has made itself at home in one of the pet baskets.

Oh absolutley! The keep me company while mini-ing and want more and different versions of the wicker beds....

large.image.jpg.70e50d741c100b51d9fdd0b1

hugs

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, kathi17 said:

Your wicker is so beautiful Anna, and the kitties look so happy in their beds!

Thank you! I am learning as I go and it is additctiv!

Hugs

• Like 1

I spent a lot of time working on a set of stairs for my 1:24 cottage, only to realize today that I made them wrong and I need to make a new set. Aggravating. I thought I had everything all figured out, but every time I think I'm almost ready to glue the walls together, I realize I shouldn't do it yet.

had a go on my swap so I have been busily doing components...need to use my saw for the last bit but had to take the grans home...still not used to using it and I shall need all my attention on the cutting...lol....while waiting on glue to dry I have been working on a HOM clock...I sent the first one I put together to Ohio and now I am in need of one....

loving my niche since the reorganization....kidos keep asking when we gonna do another project.:dunno:..lol....never its myyyyy niche...lol:roflmao:

On 2/6/2016, 4:31:37, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

I am currently staring at 7 kits stacked on my drawer system. I know I have at lease three more in the buffet cabinet, and I have three here that are partially finished. Yet I can't stop looking for more! In the last month, I have purchased 3 more of these:

91XpEsqv3BL._SL1500_.jpg

I spent most of the day reorganizing and recategorizing the hoard. Still, on breaks, I am off lurking on eBay. This madness has to stop! But how?

1 hour ago, MikeUK said:

I spent the morning at my least favourite place these days!....

As long as it keeps you with us, hang in there!

The dentist just filled the holes in the upper teeth today; he's doing the lowers n Friday.

Well, Lisa and I had our second day of working on the Glencroft on Sunday. We're each doing a kit now. Lisa is supposed to come by here and post some pictures. Lisa is the careful one. She researched all the Glencroft building blogs and carefully labeled and sanded and dry fit her kit. She also informed me that everyone who has put this kit together says to follow the directions exactly or it won't go together.

I, on the other hand, took whatever pieces I could get my little hands on and without dry fitting, glued the basic shell together without reading the directions. Lisa then informed me that I had done what everyone else said couldn't be done and I had done it in the wrong order. We'll see what happens.

Anyway, I am only really changing the staircase in the Glencroft. On each of the landings, I added a second, cross step and that gives the staircase two extra steps up, so that I could then delete two of the steps that protrude into the living room. Lisa isn't afraid to have me demolish her staircase, so for hers, I'm going to try to make 2 cross steps on each of the landings. That way I not only delete the steps in the living room, but I can also have the staircase arrive right at the edge of the bedroom instead of protruding into it. If you're familiar with the Willowcrest staircase, what I will be trying to do is turn the Glencroft staircase into something like that one.

The only downside is so far I have glue all over everything. It looks like my staircase is going to get a carpet.

• Like 1

Worked on windows and trim.  I messed up with the trim so ended up cutting my own which I think look better.   IMO  of course! 

Trying to decide what the rooms will be ( there are only 4 in the Arthur).  I can't decide if I should use one of the upstairs rooms for a bath or something else.  Not feeling it at the moment. 

I managed to get up to my mother's house for about an hour today before the snow started again, and worked on the bowls made by quilling, then came back home and started on the Shenandoah Designs Shaker Dry Sink.

I decided to research Shenandoah Designs and found out that Houseworks does their kits now. It's nice to know that some of the kits we could get back in the old days are still being made! So far, the Shenandoah kits, (at least the ones made years ago), seem to be as good quality as the HOM kits. Since Houseworks is such a good company, I imagine they are still a very good quality.

This is just a test while I am waiting on some supplies to come in but this one will be a small dressing box to sit on top of a chest. Burl walnut over a basswood core more to test the concepts the next one will use a walnut core with veneer over it. It's hollow with 1/16" sides and a 1/32" top and bottom will cut it apart after applying the hand rubbed oil finish. Then add some mini hinges, a "lock", and a liner of some type.

Like I said it's more of a concept model than a final product but it should be ok

BTW it's about 1" long by 3/4" deep by 1/2" tall

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kathi17 said:

That's beautiful Mike, I thought it was a solid block of walnut burl, because you matched it so well!

It looks solid even holding it but it's so light because it is hollow. It's sitting on my desk and I keep playing with it. One corner chipped when cutting it to fit the burl is so brittle to cut but like I said this one is a test. Trying to find hinges to fit 1/16" wood was hard also but I think I did it we will see

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaxenro said:

It looks solid even holding it but it's so light because it is hollow. It's sitting on my desk and I keep playing with it. One corner chipped when cutting it to fit the burl is so brittle to cut but like I said this one is a test. Trying to find hinges to fit 1/16" wood was hard also but I think I did it we will see

I did a walnut burl floor in one room in my Apple Blossom. (I had gotten an assortment of veneers, and some were very fancy  and just wanted to play, so I used a different one in each room of the Apple Blossom). I had to be very careful when I cut it into strips because of how the grain is, but it sure was pretty when I got it done!

I am in the process of making "tile sheets" for the small bathroom in travel trailer, and I'm beginning to work on my swaps.  I hate to say this, but I'd love another couple days of snow so that I could stay home from school and work on the travel trailer.  Today is my oldest son's 19th birthday, so there will be no mini making after work today, we will be going out for dinner.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2016, 3:07:16, rodentraiser said:

Well, Lisa and I had our second day of working on the Glencroft on Sunday. We're each doing a kit now. Lisa is supposed to come by here and post some pictures. Lisa is the careful one. She researched all the Glencroft building blogs and carefully labeled and sanded and dry fit her kit. She also informed me that everyone who has put this kit together says to follow the directions exactly or it won't go together.

And here are the starts to our Glencrofts in all their glory :)  Mine definitely isn't much to look at yet.  Just the first floor with the back edge/stair part glued on.  Had a heck of a time getting it to glue on straight because it was a little warped, so to fix the problem (and not have to sit and hold the two pieces while the glue dried) I taped it all to the straight edge of my kitchen counter! lol!  Sounds & looks funny, but it worked :)  Doesn't look like I accomplished much, but not pictured is the work I did cutting the front door opening bigger (using a different door) and filling in a few things like the side bathroom window.

L-1.jpg

Kelly on the other hand got quite a bit of her shell glued together before we called it a day.  I guess there's something to be said for ignoring directions & just winging it!

K-1.jpg

K-3.jpg

K-2.jpg

• Like 1

ooo what fun building together!....

Id like to say I had been working on swaps but no more mundane things like laundry dishes and doggie bathes were the name of our day games

I did go in there and cleaned up a bit and got my Aster Cottage instructions out...hmmmmm I do seem to be missing a few pages...so guess I will have to call and see if I can get some sent to me....but until then I have some other things I can do to it while I wait....yanno like those swaps!!!:bangin:

Oh! Love that stair option for the Glencroft! I was thinking of leaving the stair railing off when I build mine, or just using a smaller newel post and rail. I think Greenleaf did a great job on the stair placement, but the rails kind of block the view of the very cool fireplaces. This option is even better!