What's everyone working on?

Heidi...I thought it looked good but it does indeed look better with your blending...looking forward to more

myself I have the counter top design ready for glue...my thoughts are to take clear packing tape and lay it on top of the tiles adding my glue and or joint compound and the lay the tiles back on and then wax paper and another piece of wood weighted down till dry...do not want the counter to warp...I am doing 3 floors right now...the downstairs is getting wood floor which I am doing bit by bit letting it dry as I go...the upstairs is getting the tile DH cut and ooooo I am loving it and then the back room and soon the greenhouse is getting slate floors....had to stop all work to paint all the floor coordinating colors..do not want white peeking through...slowly but surely the store is becoming its own...and I am loving how it all falls into place...soon I will have to buy all new clay for more goods for the store...

I decided against the already in hand stained glass...it is too Christmas and would dictate the rest of the color choices of the build in a way that didnt make me "HAPPY"

dang I really loved that glass and look forward to using it...back to my own creative mind to create bright vibrate windows...:coffee:

Im repainting the ceiling of the upstairs I did a nice daytime sky...I decided I really want a night sky...I have glitter and glow in the dark paint....sooo we shall see....

the green room is getting this paper I found when I went after the downstairs paper and it is embossed with flowers....I really want that room to be shabby chic/garden...right now the ceiling is periwinkle and dang I really Like it...lol....while I do the mundane of floors and then walls I will listen as all the discussions go on... Until I have the furniture Deb is making me in the space I havent picked a color in that room either....a pale yellow? just dont know yet,,,such as it goes with me...no plan...I just go until a choice is made for me....lol

:beta:

Well, I am still working on Lisa's staircase for her Glencroft. I have just one more step to put on it. The biggest deal is waiting for glue to dry. The last two steps are cross steps and that will make 4 cross steps for the entire staircase. What this means in English is that her staircase will start right at the wall (no protruding steps into the living room) and it will end right at the bedroom door. She won't have to put that box on the wall over her fireplace to accommodate the last couple of steps because there won't be any. The whole staircase now fits inside the wall behind the fireplace. So no stair rail protruding into the bedroom, either. She will, however, have to fill in that space in her bedroom floor where the steps would have gone.

I was going to break apart my stairs and do the same thing, but I changed my mind. One staircase with twisting steps is enough. More than enough. LOL

The other thing Lisa is doing in her house is breaking out the corner in the kitchen. Instead of having a jog there between the front and side walls, she turned the corner inside out so it is a right angle corner now. And I swear, it makes the room look a lot larger, too. I've elected not to do that in my house because 1) my house is already primed and sanded and 2) I am lazy. I'll work around that corner somehow.

Meantime, my trailer and my WIllowcrest are still in boxes, my Arthur looks at me all day long begging me to do something with him, the big house is at a standstill and my Rose Shop looks neglected. I need to win the lottery or something.

The Sugarplum was started in earnest a few weeks ago, and then LIFE happened. Went on a four day trip with my mom, came home with bronchitis. While I was gone my wonderful husband cleared out my office/work shop (living and dining rooms) and tore out the carpeting in preparation for laminate floors. Great news for a messy miniaturist with two little puppies and a rapidly shedding beagle. Not so great news because I was really sick for another four days before I could help get the rooms back together again...

When finally I could muster any strength, I decided since the rooms were empty it was a great time to re-paint the dining room. I have never liked the color I ended up with a few years back (never trust a new paint mixer at Home Depot), a pale and cold blue which was supposed to be a warm blue/green, so it was the opportunity I needed for a do over. I got the perfect shade of Valspar called Steely Blue, and the paint itself was thick and really easy to work with. Love it! I primed first because I was going from satin to flat, and one coat covered the primer amazingly. I did three coats though, because I love the durability and depth of color that way.

While I was at it, I got rid of the pale yellow ceiling and the coral moldings (what was I thinking), opting instead for white. Once the ceiling was painted and the coral edited out, I decided that the crown molding, chair rail, baseboards and bead board really needed a freshening up as well. My hubs painted the second ceiling coat and the crown molding because heights give me the willies. Now the room is bright, clean and ready for me to load in all my supplies. The rest of the house is in shambles, so I plan to spend the next two days hitting the reset on everything. Then work Fri-Sat and hike with the hubs and puppies Sunday. I have high hopes that next week I will be able to carve out some time again on the Sugarplum.

I was going to include a photo but it's not very pretty since a lot of experimentation has been done on that same piece of lucite. You may have to Zoom in for a better view. I think I'm going to see if I can find the paint with larger speckles.  The lucite gives it a nice sheen, like freshly polished and sealed granite.

image.jpeg

well the counter top is now finished and drying next I will install it and then trim....it turned out better then I hoped!

I have the back room floor tiles down and most of the 2nd floor is installed...and of course I have an issue...my tiles are thicker so my floor is now very heavy,

so I have decided to make a center column with a twist....I wont give it away just in case I cant get it to work out...lol... still working on the wood floor...just taking my time and enjoying the process....its just a bit more fun when its something for yourself....I found a cute little yellow submarine in the aquarium section....it just calls out to be some kind of something in the store....perhaps a side table upstairs...lol...

who knows what will show up in the store...have my eye on some tiny dream catcher keychains....found Casey's tutorial/advice on Hookah making so may have to set a couple of hours aside and see what I can come up with....I have a container that is filling up with items for the store...its going to be sooo much fun filling the shelves...painted the postal box a wonderful orange....

Mike, LOVE the pub idea! That little guy you carved is fabulous!

Kelly, I kept hoping you would say the Glencroft stair mod would be fast and easy...I really, really want to rework the stairs when I build mine.

As far as houses speaking to you...well, yes. And once you actually listen, the ideas come pouring in.

Everyone is so busy! Great work everyone is doing!

I'm recoating the barn exterior, working on some accessories, and some furniture kits are coming in the mail today. Still haven't made a decision about the Franklin windows, so there it sits...Probably just need to make my own windows and be done with it. Oh, and that cheap little Bobbi kit should arrive today. It wants to be a stone cottage. Sort of a smaller and more feminine version of the Glencroft. We'll see how it plays out.  

31 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Mike, LOVE the pub idea! That little guy you carved is fabulous!

Kelly, I kept hoping you would say the Glencroft stair mod would be fast and easy...I really, really want to rework the stairs when I build mine.

As far as houses speaking to you...well, yes. And once you actually listen, the ideas come pouring in.

Everyone is so busy! Great work everyone is doing!

I'm recoating the barn exterior, working on some accessories, and some furniture kits are coming in the mail today. Still haven't made a decision about the Franklin windows, so there it sits...Probably just need to make my own windows and be done with it. Oh, and that cheap little Bobbi kit should arrive today. It wants to be a stone cottage. Sort of a smaller and more feminine version of the Glencroft. We'll see how it plays out.  

Linda, would you mind sharing the order/technique you used to get your SMOOTH walls on the Orchid?

Sure, Sue! I patched any big, obvious chips, knots, gouges, etc. with wood putty, then sanded the bare wood with 120-ish grit. primed with a coat or two of shellac (Sealcoat is my favorite), sanded again lightly with 220 grit. Then I used a 6" foam roller to apply a few coats of gesso, sanding lightly in between. I didn't sand the last coat of gesso. Using the foam roller adds a tiny bit of texture to the walls, like a mini version or real drywall texture. I liked it, so I left it. It also helps to hide quite a bit of the wood grain. Then I painted with 2 coats of flat or eggshell paint. It was time consuming, but all of those products dry pretty quickly, so if you don't have anything else to do and the weather is nice, you could do it in a weekend. I also did all of that prep except the painting before I glued anything together, so I could work on all of the walls flat.

I don't care for most of the mini wallpaper out there, and my one application of it looked great at first, but months later buckled and wrinkled and looks really bad. I may use it again sparingly for future builds, but I much prefer paint. I have a general aversion to a lot of pattern.

I just put the second coat of paint on the barn, and I have an opinion about MDF. For construction, it's a wonderful product. Everything has fit well, no splinters, very sturdy, no fiddling and sanding to get pieces together, glues together beautifully, etc. My gripe is with the finishing. I primed the exterior with 2 coats of shellac. I sanded that, and it felt really smooth. Painted the first coat, and could see every little chip and nick and bump in the MDF. Sanded that coat (220 grit followed with a synthetic fine steel wool pad,)  and just put on the second coat of paint. It's better, but still not nearly as smooth as it would be if I had done the same prep for wood. I'm hoping a third coat covers at least a little more of the imperfections. For a rustic old barn it's going to be fine, but if I was finishing a traditional house, I would be really disappointed. I've painted a whole lot of wood in my life, and never had that poor of a finish with that much prep.

Sable, LOVE that countertop idea! I need to make the kitchen for the barn and have been thinking of ways to make granite or soapstone. What do you use to cut the Lucite with?

• Like 1

Linda, I use a mini table saw to cut the lucite. I could never master the scoring and breaking technique. 

I just finished your shellac technique on the White House walls and I am very pleased with the outcome. My lungs can't handle the dust from my joint compound technique, so this was a great alternative. Thanks, again.

Spent the better portion of the day cutting more bricks from cork sheets, these will hopefully be going on the back wall in the kitchen. Think I finally found the jewelry findings I want to mold my room dividers out of -- just have to condition my clay a bit more to make those up. Also have managed to make another round of subway tiles, painted all my window casing, and thankfully got my window trim in the mail today. I thankfully have both side walls to the Brownstone glued with every floor between them, and thank goodness this time I didn't have "help" and my shell is straight and level!!! Hallelujah!!! Sorry, but that  excites me to no end after the issues I had when I first glued it together and it got moved and when I went back down to the work room found it crooked and sad looking. Took a good bit of patience, white vinegar, and the heat gun to get the wood glue to release -- but I'm so glad I took the time to take it apart... because now it's not only straight -- it's also got grooves cut out on both sides of each of the floors to run the tapewire. I am finally electrifying a house, after having wanted to for so long. This house has proven to probably be the most frustrating build for me at times -- BUT in the same breath over-coming all the obstacles I've encountered with it and trying so many firsts... super rewarding as well! Oh, and I had painted a base coat of copper paint on the roof tiles the other day -- they now have a beautiful patina to them! Still working on aging the brick sheets for the side walls and back, but liking what I've got so far.  :clap:

My packages didn't come yesterday, and today is questionable. Per the tracking updates, they're about 30 miles away. Sitting. Agh! I sometimes wish for the old days before package tracking, when your stuff just showed up one day and it seemed like a nice surprise. I was really, really wanting the furniture kits to come so I could start fiddling with them over the weekend.

I pit the third coat of paint on the barn exterior, and think I'm done with it. Still not thrilled with the finish, but it's OK. .  

• Like 1

Wow ... y'all have been making such great progress and creating such clever items! I feel like a slug when it comes to my own minis. Gotta get in gear!

• Like 2

I dont know why the store counter decided it must be completed...good thing since it practically jumped together...I have the upper floor finished...I am going to grout it

the brown I already tried did not make me "happy" so today I am going to use black....then that all has to dry so I can turn it over and do the ceiling for downstairs.....DH...ever indulgent has agreed to cutting the materials I am going to use to make my support post...he smiled and chuckled when I told him my plans....he acted like he wanted me to pull that rabbit out of my hat while he watched LOL...need a few more supplies....but a dig in all my containers and I should be ready to go....

bottom floor going sloooowly but you work were the Muse tells you and it hasnt been a priority...like sanding all the texture off the wall so I can add the brick paper...

but its not a competition and I have no deadline but my own....and I would like to know why is it that the MHM doesnt speak up until I am fully engrossed in another project???

it was the counter top....it reminded me I want to do the table for the MHM the same way....lol

I wont be back to it till I have the guy back on the rig for the week tomorrow....:beta:

4 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

My packages didn't come yesterday, and today is questionable. Per the tracking updates, they're about 30 miles away. Sitting. Agh! I sometimes wish for the old days before package tracking, when your stuff just showed up one day and it seemed like a nice surprise. I was really, really wanting the furniture kits to come so I could start fiddling with them over the weekend.

I pit the third coat of paint on the barn exterior, and think I'm done with it. Still not thrilled with the finish, but it's OK. .  

I hate it when that happens to me. I hope you get them tomorrow!

Nutti i love reading your posts - entertaining! And no, its only a competition in your head...but I know how that feels. 

Mike  - yes, the hinges make sense - i was just having trouble visualizing it. 

Linda - quite the experiment with MDF - I have only primed with it, and papered the walls. Maybe others can share their experience. I think if you're happy with it, then all is well. I used to have an aversion to pattern a long time ago, but decided to try to use a theme, like with the Newport - all Victorian, and used all Brodnax coordinating papers. That seemed to help guide me. I got burnt with paper before too - the wrinkling from humidity... and mostly that was from using low quality papers. Why i switched to Brodnax and now to Itsy Bitsy Minis, and why I used textured walls in my Thornhill and color washes. 

I've been working on the French Country house - the next color of stippling - Canterbury Red. I think I'm happy with this and will probably call it finished. I have to start from scratch on 2 pieces of the attic backs and the chimney towers, as they were never done. So then its a matter of trying to get the new effect to match the fixed effect. 

Went to 2 of the 3 shows...will post in a different topic. Bishop show on Saturday. 

I began painting Brimble's stair carcase, since the rain has let up so I could go out to the workshop.  Our nextdoor neighbor's shop is much closer to their back door and somewhat sheltered approach.

Heidi, I look forward to seeing how it comes out. I watched that house on Ebay for months -- so nice to know it's gone to someone whom will truly make it shine! As for myself today, I went digging through odd metal bits and jewelry findings that I brought along on my move. Finally came across a few that I think are going to make great room dividers. Sooo, after conditioning old clay today I have them in the oven currently and will let you know tomorrow if I'm successful... Crossing my fingers! I also applied sand paper to the top panel of my brownstone and painted it black. Not a perfect look of an asphalt spread roof -- but since it is a flat roof on a Victorian style house, I wanted to try for what I was coming up with as being typical covering look. Now that that sides done I'll seal it and be done with that portion. Still working with the tapewire, but so far no problems -- going a lot smoother than I expected... Research and re-reading that book that comes along with the wiring kits apparently pays off. lol

Holly - good advice! Kelli - interesting that you were watching it. I found out she'd been posting it for a year or more on Craig's list. I really want to do it well.....yes, make it shine!. Thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 1

Heidi, that's an amazing house, and I think you're doing a great job!

Furniture kits came yesterday! Hooray! It was supposed to be a bits and pieces incomplete lot, but what I got was three kits that are 99.9% complete, and a duplicate complete kit! Whoop! I got everything sorted and inventoried yesterday, now I just have to pick something to work on. House kit should get here today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, miniaddicted said:

Holly - good advice! Kelli - interesting that you were watching it. I found out she'd been posting it for a year or more on Craig's list. I really want to do it well.....yes, make it shine!. Thanks for the encouragement!

You are already making it shine. It looks so much nicer the way you stippled it than it did before.