What's everyone working on?

Common Tiffany lampshade diameters are: 14", 16", 18", 20", 22", 24" and 28". If you want to see traditional patterns that are still available today, look up "Odyssey stained glass lamps" on google. If I had the money, I'd buy one of each pattern I love so I can fill the house with beautiful lamps...

Nutti and I had a wonderful time yesterday!  We went mini shopping and found some great treasures at Auntie Em's, then we headed back to Nutti's Niche to play with minis for awhile.  We had to get pictures of Dave and Edna's response to their new furniture to share with y'all since Dave and Edna have been part of the forum for so long (and were made by Holly).  They settled in so comfy that neither of them seemed inclined to move again all day.  

large.5718fb79b63ea_daveandedna.jpg.ed6b

• Like 4

15 hours ago, kathi17 said:

That lampshade looks like a tremendous amount of work. Once inside a house, it will look even more beautiful. Nice job!

Thanks! I won't be using this one since I feel I can make a much better finished product, but it was a great starting point. 

• Like 1

no actual work to share but some wonderful miniature fun was had by Deb and I as we wondered through Aunt Emm's miniature store...then and yummy lunch

and the niche was taken over by the photo box...so Deb could show me the finer points of such a thing and I will be making myself one...the photos sooooo much better then anything I can do even with a good camera...

I got to show the Tafts bits and the plan and she helped solidify the room for the furniture and we giggled over a couple of ideas... she brought Dave some mini jars for his products...he was super pleased...you could tell by all the stammering and rosy cheeks...Edna on the other hand was over the moon for the furniture and still wonders how she got so lucky to have such a talented 'bean' as a friend!  she still smiling in their room where the furniture went to stay for now...color glorious color whispers from her once in awhile!:cloud9:

I have decided to tear out the Queens kitchen carpet....as I work in the kitchen I realize I cannot really install and move on until I do...will this happen after or during the Wannabis build...only time will tell lol!:dunno:

• Like 1

Holly she required a more chic look on the houseboat shop when the clientele started getting younger...lol

poor Dave is fighting it but he needs a shirt for a more professional look...we have agreed upon a T-shirt with a tie drawn on for under his vest lol....he chuckled...

I got various things painted on my French Country. I got the first coat of grey on the front low wall that acts like an entry to the house. Also painted the base grey- the foundation. Started the first color stippling of the chimney bases, and the exterior backs of the attics - both things that the previous owner didn't start at all. The idea is to make them as close to the front exterior finish as possible. Also got a base coat on the oeil-de-boeuf dormers. 

Working out what color the soffit trim and roof trim should be. Old instructions say "old Gold" in the very old and discontinued Builders Choice paints. So I am making it  up as I go along. This will also be the color for the exterior window trim. The picture shows the trim as a muddy brownish greyish color, but not the grey that the patio, low front walls and quoins are. 

Beating myself up over custom kitchen cabinets. I don't know why, guess I'm over thinking it.  My grey stained floors turned out to be a disaster, too muddy looking and the stain is hiding the grain. Campfire anyone?  

6 minutes ago, Sable said:

Beating myself up over custom kitchen cabinets. I don't know why, guess I'm over thinking it.  My grey stained floors turned out to be a disaster, too muddy looking and the stain is hiding the grain. Campfire anyone?  

I know the feeling. I'll bring the marshmallows if you'll cut the sticks. .... Nooo-ooo-oo  ...  Put down the matches. Grab the sandpaper for the floor and bring back the grain. You can do it!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I know the feeling. I'll bring the marshmallows if you'll cut the sticks. .... Nooo-ooo-oo  ...  Put down the matches. Grab the sandpaper for the floor and bring back the grain. You can do it!

Thanks, Kathie. I tried sanding it down, it's hopeless. The stain is just like paint, very mono colored. Our friend was over last night and he likes to critique  my ideas and he hated the grey, also. So back to old faithful Dark Walnut. I'll save the wasted $20 worth of wood and use it for an old barn wood project, someday.

3 minutes ago, mikeuk said:

Just a temporary 'glitch' and tomorrow's a new day!

Thanks, Mike. Maybe if I eat something and walk away for a while or better yet have you make the cabinets for me, I'll feel a whole lot better.

I'm working on two projects at once.  One is the roombox for my dolls Ardela and her beau, Volney. (both dolls by Wolfie). I'm using the Bromley stencils for the brick walls, and carefully masked out where the windows go on the back wall, and the door on the side wall, leaving a smooth finish to go under the frames. I'm almost finished with the last wall - and just realized I framed the windows upside down!  :construction:   They are not glued in yet, but it's going to take some effort to fix it.

The second project I'm working on is my micro village.  Must think of a good name for it.  I'm making a fishing lodge to add to the houses already built, and I think I will take another kit I have for a house, and make it into a Mercantile, or some store. Both of these need to be finished by July, so I just keep going back and forth with them.

After writing the above post I got another idea, and went out to my workshop to check it out. The roombox is asymmetrical, with one room taking most of the space, allowing for a small entryway/foyer at the other end. Rather that mess with the bricks and the windows I could just reverse the room placements - putting the larger room on the left instead of on the right. However, that will put the main entry door at the back of the box, near the back wall, instead of the at the front of the box. I've always put roombox doors at the front of the side wall. Any advice on that?  Would it look dopey to have the entry door at the back of the side wall instead of at the front? 

29 minutes ago, CheckMouse said:

After writing the above post I got another idea, and went out to my workshop to check it out. The roombox is asymmetrical, with one room taking most of the space, allowing for a small entryway/foyer at the other end. Rather that mess with the bricks and the windows I could just reverse the room placements - putting the larger room on the left instead of on the right. However, that will put the main entry door at the back of the box, near the back wall, instead of the at the front of the box. I've always put roombox doors at the front of the side wall. Any advice on that?  Would it look dopey to have the entry door at the back of the side wall instead of at the front? 

No, some of Narcissa Thorne's rooms had entry doors towards the rear of the box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vbharrington said:

Today I pasted up 20's/30's style wallpaper into my farmhouse kitchen, and started cutting wainscoting from coffee stirrers. I have decided that what I really want for the kitchen is an Aga stove.

I love those Aga stoves, and they would definitely look beautiful in a farmhouse!

• Like 1

while the guy is home I dont mini much but I did manage to get 4 more strands done of 1 of 3 large beaded curtains....

this was suppose to be the way to clean out my what I felt was a large stash of small beads...HAHA..:frusty:.I have already bought more and Im on my way out to get more still and Im not half way through the first window....soooooo I am switching it up and doing some short strands as well...the build isnt half the work as the curtains...but I know when it is all done...it will be fabulous...well in my eyes and after all thats all that matters....:peace:

• Like 1