What's everyone working on?

1 hour ago, Sable said:

Holly knows the name of the diamond shape I am using for the gable end of the White House, but I can't remember it off hand. The picture doesn't truly represent the pattern properly but my assistant-picture-taker son was too preoccupied to capture  the angle the way I had hoped.

Edit: Lozenge Design.

image.jpeg

I called it a lozenge pattern when I did the Orchid general store roof that way

the USA General Store.jpg

I think "diamond pattern" would probably also be correct.

• Like 1

As the lighthouse is closing in on Being "Done" the Bus jumped out of its Box... So this evening I have painted the firat coat on the floor, ie the undersida of the floor in a shade called Gun metal...

found a perfect match of wheels for it too soooo happy

hugs

• Like 1

Anna, I found tire-shaped "woodsies" the same diameter as the circles for wheels in the Travel Trailer kit.  some of the larger shank coat buttons work well as hubcaps to cover the holes in the tires.

• Like 1

as always I have many things going on around me....today I had to make myself go in the niche and re organised after the grans had been here and ive bee a couple of weeks collecting stuff all piled to here so ya get the gist...even a chaotic crafter must have at least her own sense of order...and we may almost be there again but in the process .....disaster... as I (forgetting it was holding down the support for the beaded curtains)picked up my bead container and curtains went to the floor...it is not pretty...so I start again...not all of it came apart but the need for fishing line is apparent...lol...

made more progress on the store floor... everytime I go to Michael's or HL I try to find something for this build...its a store it needs stock...its been so much fun...today I got an old fashion pharmacy scale with measuring tube...how cute...and some blue handmade paper from the clearance section  that is most likely going to be the walls of the VIP room

we finally got the Queen on her base and I may have over estimated how much landscaping I want to do...lol...but for now Im just happy its there....and Im thinking the Queens new color is going to be White...with a black roof...our dollhouses for kids with cancer friend is building one and it makes me feel brave to paint my roof as well....why am I sooo afraid of color and change lol!:dunno:

If you commented on her FB page earlier about it being that yours was pink and you were wanting to paint it white with a black roof -- I think it sounds like it'll be lovely!

As for myself, I found myself doing a very sudden move home due to issues that had arisen and I very simply wasn't comfortable in my situation in PA anymore. At least in moving home back to OH, I've been doing major cleaning and re-organization efforts of both my miniature work shop outside, and my interior work space. This includes new paint, shelves, you name it. But today I felt like good efforts were made in the shop, and am looking forward to at least getting back to work on my Brownstone project. Was working on it daily, and steadily while in PA -- so this last week not being able to work on it has been hard. Always seems if I'm feeling stressed baking and working on my miniatures helps me to de-stress, thankfully I'm finding all the cleaning seems to be helping as well. At least Nutti you know you're not alone on the reorganizing efforts.  :)

• Like 1

If you commented on her FB page earlier about it being that yours was pink and you were wanting to paint it white with a black roof -- I think it sounds like it'll be lovely!

As for myself, I found myself doing a very sudden move home due to issues that had arisen and I very simply wasn't comfortable in my situation in PA anymore. At least in moving home back to OH, I've been doing major cleaning and re-organization efforts of both my miniature work shop outside, and my interior work space. This includes new paint, shelves, you name it. But today I felt like good efforts were made in the shop, and am looking forward to at least getting back to work on my Brownstone project. Was working on it daily, and steadily while in PA -- so this last week not being able to work on it has been hard. Always seems if I'm feeling stressed baking and working on my miniatures helps me to de-stress, thankfully I'm finding all the cleaning seems to be helping as well. At least Nutti you know you're not alone on the reorganizing efforts.  :)

Speaking of organizing ...

I buy the little itty bitty  N-scale (1:160) train people for my 1:144 builds, but they are just a bit pricey - averaging out to about $2 a person; and of course you can't buy just one as they are always in a set. So I don't have very many of them.  I have seen them in bulk packages, but they are unpainted, and there is no way I am going to paints shirts, pants/skirts, and shoes on an adult figure that is 1/2" high!  But on eBay the other day I found another offer - 100 painted figures for $6.00.  So I bought them! Then I realized I couldn't just keep them in a bag. So I browsed though WalMart in their craft and beading section and found a delightful organizer with 32 small compartments, designed for holding beads. Just perfect for all my little peeps and cars and furniture!  

It's so nice to have them all in one place, safely snapped into a secure container, and visible from all angles. 

• Like 4

I've been working on the roof for my ryokan at home, and my granddaughter's Orchid when I'm at my mother's. It was warm enough to keep the shop open on Friday and Saturday, but it is cold and rainy today, so that means we won't be in the shop. (No tourists here yet, so when we are at the shop, it is just friends visiting).

The Orchid isn't together enough to take pictures, I've dry fitted it, but mostly have been just sanding, spackling and painting. I do all the sanding and painting first so all I have to do is touch it up when I put it together.

Yesterday we got off the island. I had paid off the tires that were on my Sears card about six months ago, and never been late on a payment in the 26 years I had thecard. Last week, they said if I didn't make another charge on the Sears Card by May 31, they would lower my credit limit from $4,300 to $200. They said it was to protect me from fraud. They really wanted me to make a purchase online. I questioned them about my being more open to fraud by ordering on line than by using cash for purchases in store, but they said it's much more dangerous to not use a card at all. I guess they are desperate for sales. Anyway, even though I escalated the call as high as I could go, they wouldn't reverse their decision, so we went to Sears and used the card to purchase a new dremel and flexible shaft for it, and I paid off the card in store, right after I made the charge. I suppose they did me a favor. My other dremel was really old, and my flexible shaft had gotten stolen before I even had a chance to use it. I wouldn't have spent the money on a new one if it hadn't been for the issue with the Sears card.

I'm glad to have it, I have to install hinges on the ryokan, and I've been having a terrible time with it, so this should help a lot!

Our shop is in a huge old wooden building that used to be a lobster and clam canning factory in the 1800's. It is right over the water on pilings, and we have a yard in front with chairs and a picnic table, where everyone gathers. I had the ryokan sitting on the picnic table all day on Saturday, and just about everyone who drove buy stopped to see it. It was fun showing it off!

1b258ec7ca0ef38d4e5b3808acc10e9a.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CheckMouse said:

Speaking of organizing ...

I buy the little itty bitty  N-scale (1:160) train people for my 1:144 builds, but they are just a bit pricey - averaging out to about $2 a person; and of course you can't buy just one as they are always in a set. So I don't have very many of them.  I have seen them in bulk packages, but they are unpainted, and there is no way I am going to paints shirts, pants/skirts, and shoes on an adult figure that is 1/2" high!  But on eBay the other day I found another offer - 100 painted figures for $6.00.  So I bought them! Then I realized I couldn't just keep them in a bag. So I browsed though WalMart in their craft and beading section and found a delightful organizer with 32 small compartments, designed for holding beads. Just perfect for all my little peeps and cars and furniture!  

It's so nice to have them all in one place, safely snapped into a secure container, and visible from all angles. 

I have always been tempted by the Preiser King Ludwig sets and by the victorian travelers - I think these are too big, for N scale (I am still figuring out train scales - it's hard to remember them all!!): 

663_12197.jpgPRE-79129-2.gif?1456472651

• Like 1

I just ordered a quarter scale Sue Herber kit...I am so excited. It's the Tiny Townhouse. I successfully made 3 pieces of tiny 1:48 furniture. Boy was it fiddly, but I did it. So now I am going to try making a small house. Last year, I bought a completed Sparrow Cottage kit by Sue Herber - made exquisitely by Joan Zielger who was kind enough to sell it to me after I begged. :-) Anyway - I love Sue Herber 1:48 kits. I hope I can do the Tiny Townhouse justice.

89b3db763961c4e92e4370761d2f21cd.jpg

Sparrow Cottage:

20110717_232525.med.jpg

• Like 3

I posted pics of my progress on the wall display house this past weekend.  And while working on the windows I discovered that my oil-painted bricks are FINALLY dry!  Woo hoo!  First, however, I finished the windows, installed curtains and worked on a stained glass piece for the front door. 

The weather decided to clear long enough for me to finish the stain and varnish on the farmhouse 3rd floor.  Looking forward to installing it, finally, and being able to more forward to finishing up this house!!

Now to read up on how to grout my egg carton bricks.....

Worked on my granddaughter's Orchid today. The new Dremel worked great for sanding the doorway enough to get the door in. Then I put the flexible shaft on the dremel, and got another set of extensions hinged on the ryokan. Only one more floor to go and they will all be hinged.

I love the flexible shaft and the variable speed on the dremel. It makes it so much easier than a pin vise or my husbands big DeWalt drill!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I have always been tempted by the Preiser King Ludwig sets and by the victorian travelers - I think these are too big, for N scale (I am still figuring out train scales - it's hard to remember them all!!): 

663_12197.jpgPRE-79129-2.gif?1456472651

The N-gauge train scale is just right for the micro 1:144 houses. It is actually 1:160, but works well. I bought the Preiser King Ludwig set for my micro Townhouse. The house belonged to royalty (of course) and I used those people as guests for a party being held in the house. :)  Preiser is the top of the line in my book for these figures. Great detail.   http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=103438

I seem to be down more then Im up and going the trip to Micheal's put me out of commission to do much out side the house...I did manage to sit in spurts at the work table and get more of the birch tiles down on the floor...Im getting worried as I get closer to where I originally started that those tile will have to be chiseled off...I only took off 3 that were definitely crooked...I promise I dont drink and glue lol... I hope to be putting stain to it by the weekend..would love to have it up for my Nieces visit from Mo...

the lady who sold me my Queen is coming to visit tomorrow afternoon and look at my houses so I am setting them up for her with all the furnishings and such.  

at wal-marts in the floral section I found a bag of colored shells the bag I got was a variations of blues...they are lovely THIN and small pieces and I see a mosaic side walk around the Wannabis

lovely 1/144th scale work you are doing...I have one I started before Christmas I need to get back to!

I have been on a break from building but I am thinking I will start either the Big Bus or the Travel Trailer soon.  I have run out of space is the problem.  With all the tourists in town with their trailers and RV's I am tempted to get started on that travel trailer.  I can't decide. 

the sweet lady who sold me the Queen came to visit me and brought me a flatbox full of goodies....AND

two roomboxes...I have always wanted to do a roombox of some sorts...the large one is quite large...and I have been inspired to do as our CJ and build myself

a villiage and display as many of my houses as I can...while you can look at hers from above and all 4 sides this is a regular room box so Im thinking winding hill...lol...

oooo my as if I needed another project lol....but it will have to wait till I do some other things.... now this will all make you laugh...as she walked around looking at my houses she stopped and just started smiling and was like whats the story of this house...this is not your style...it was my craigslist house and she took it home with her...lol

I could not tell her no...she already had started decorating it in its 40's/50's style...Im to come visit it as much as I like...lol...:doctor:

now the Queen does not have to share her spot in our big picture window.. and has been properly moved to a more centered spot!  we had a big chuckle together about the Wannabis and she admired Debs furniture...

as she was leaving she once again let me know that as soon as show season finishes she wants to talk about us working together...no I dont know anymore then this at the moment...sounds intriguing...:hmm:

• Like 2

I was able to clear a corner of my table to work on some furniture for the bakery, - he did put me to work making little bags and lining baskets for some of the breads

and, I snagged some of his scraps to make the preserves, he did the tinting and filling though.

trying to get a few hours today to decor a garage sale bakers rack, before his physical therapy appointment, which is located right next to my walking park, how convenient!  As far as real world, we have a stack of roofing supplies in my driveway, but it's non stop rain and drizzle. I have an electrician coming Saturday to do what they do to the new garage.  And the dishwasher finally died,,waiting for the new one.

and next week is the KC dollhouse show!  Woot woot!

• Like 2

With DS#3 visiting I don't spend as much time in the workshop, but got out there today to reglue the last piece of Brimble's stair together (for the fourth time!), measure & mark for the bathroom and kitchen floors on the second floor, and put the first coat of paint on the kitchen floor for the faux linoleum; and found the paint sample chips to measure and cut for the bathroom floor.

I was throwing out an old battery operated tv we used for hurricanes when I noticed that the tv antenna might be useful for making the kitchen faucet. Bending the metal was the hardest part. A spring from a pen and some eyelets helped finish it off. I'm happy with it.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=120590

• Like 1