What's everyone working on?

14 minutes ago, mikeuk said:

Still don't know how to quote part of a message!....

Hit the quote button and carefully and judiciously use the "back space" (or highlight & delete, if your computer allows it) to remove extraneous text, leaving only the parts you wish to reply to, separated by dots... if necessary.

So today I have be fiddling with sharing the tassels for the curtains, worked out like I had pictured so have now an almost sone curtain setting, still need to add the folds a little sharper and add "stops" so that the curtain won't overflow the whole window, think a dab of flue will solve that when finally i stalling the whole thing,

a sneak peak;

large.image.jpg.6c772fe45cc5844d13a835b9

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikeuk said:

Still don't know how to quote part of a message!........Thanks Kelly...Alfie's on here somewhere but I'll do another pic......he's always around!....I put the 'working' TV's on YouTube.......never thought of doing the houses too!

I saw the working TVs on Youtube and that's why I asked, because I think a a tour through your houses, (especially the Casita) would blow everybody away. Like you don't have enough to do. LOL But there seems to be only a few dollhouse "tour" videos on Youtube of the really spectacular builds. And if you do decide to do this and get comments saying "Fake, That's a real house," then you know you've achieved a goal. If  you can do them, a 5 to 10 minute tour through the different houses would be awesome. But please don't consider this if it will impact your health any. I'd lots rather you were around than any videos.

10 hours ago, Anna said:

ouch Kelly, the fingertip sounds painful!

Surprisingly, it doesn't hurt much this morning at all. Looks awful, but I can even type without feeling it. Maybe I cut my fingertip off and just haven't realized it yet.

So here are the plans for the house.

This is what it's supposed to look like:

front-opening-country-victorian-dollhous

This is what it will look like when finished (I hope):

side.jpg.434999340090d6bdae1f57b4db51199

I haven't figured out a roof for the bay window yet and I'm still undecided about where to put the kitchen windows.

Here's the floor plan:

plans.jpg.8599715f45ad8a87cd3bd108fa934d

Sorry about how amateur it all looks. But you get the basic idea.

It probably won't look as nice as the original, but I was after getting larger rooms, and everything else is just a function of that. Now I'm just waiting on the staircases to see where to put the front windows before I start making new window cutouts. I was going to use the staircases from the big house, but they have overlapping treads on the steps and since I'm putting the fireplace wall straight up against the stairs in the living room, that wouldn't have worked.

• Like 1

OK, heads up. I just finished the kitchen and guess what? The only place for a window is in the corner and the only space available is for a ....double window. So the double window comes out of the bedroom yet again and now goes in the kitchen in the corner overlooking the sink. The only thing I have to decide on now is if I want to run the bay window up past the bedroom or if I want to put two 2 1/2 x 5" windows in the bedroom instead. Personally, I'm opting for cutting the bay window in half, trying to figure out a roof for it, and leaving the two windows in the bedroom.

kitchen.jpg.2e78dbef4f96afca36ee6c6272ae

I've modeled this a lot on Kathleen Holmes' kitchen in her new house. The kitchen table will go in the middle of the room. I already have the lamp I want to hang over it. To the left of the table is the door to the outside - there's sort of a vestibule there. Going through that door and turning right (through another door) will take you down the stairs to the basemen I don't have yet. Going straight ahead takes you outside.

I'm putting a (small) hutch on the wall outside the basement stairwell. Behind the stairwell is the kitchen sink - a Reutter Porzellan small sink that I'm flanking with a 2" chopping block on the left and a 1 1/2" open Houseworks cabinet on the right. Under the window, I'm putting a small shelf so I can set my herb garden there in the sun. Then I have the 4" stove flanked by two 1 1/2 inch Houseworks cabinets, a corner cabinet, another 1 1/2" cabinet (we're keeping things small here) and then the fridge. Next to the fridge, I want to put the Houseworks standing oven without the oven, making it more a cabinet than anything else. I loved the one I saw in Kathleen Holmes' dollhouse with the cookbooks there and I'd like to replicate that if I can. Next to this cabinet I have some wall space where I can hang aprons and put one of those vinyl kitchen stools. In front of the sink I'll have a work table and maybe another chopping block at the end of it across from the stove, this one for meats (the one by the sink is for vegetables that can go directly to the sink to be washed).

I haven't figured out what I am going to do with any upper cabinets yet, but that can be decided after I have all the rest of the kitchen in. Above the small open cabinet next to the sink, I'd like to hang the copper pots and pans. They'll be pretty there in the window and I can't think of anything else to put in that corner anyway. I also want some counter space for canisters and a toaster. Of course, that's a ways down the road. Oh, and I'm going to gently round the edges on the fridge (a Houseworks fridge) and I'm putting the cookie jar on top of it. I still need to figure out where to hang the broom and dustpan.

I got out to the shop this AM before DH woke up and got the lower half of the right wall on Brimble before the temp soared too high to work in comfort.  I'm trying a length of satin ribbon for hinging the front bathroom wall.

I too want to see a tutorials for those doors Mike, they are amazing.  I,have a friend who is going to donate her dept store, those doors make it very tempting to buy it off her.  It's no where near as grand as your store, but ....

Grandsons spent the day out with grandpa and his Mom, so I was able to have a boy free day.  They got home just in time to help me glue on the leaves of the wisteria on the Bakery

the roof is making me super happy too - I'm one of those people gets a high when creating is going well, plus I listen to music whileworking so the boys joined me in dancing as I glued on the last leaves.  

They are dancing cause last leaves means pool time, but hey, at least we are all dancing.

the wisteria trunk is a branch from silk flowers, those got tossed.  My friend found the branch while working on her climbing plants, and it works perfectly, wired and all, just glued in place.  I looked at several tutorials for the glazers,a me finally butchered them all to work with what I have.  The leaves were the worst, I finally found some plastic ones I was able to paint with flat paints, lessen the plastic look.  I think, based on my grandmas wisteria at her house in Texas when I was a kid, it's just enough to wisteria and leaves, maybe tomorrow I'll look again and decide it needs to be more "lush" but for today, I'm happy 

• Like 1

For some reason, sometimes I can't leave comments on gallery photos unless someone else has posted first. 

Anyway, Sharon, I really like the way the wisteria has outgrown it trellis. :) 

On Tuesday, July 05, 2016 5:32:32, Sable said:

My two cents. Put the window and the sink where the stove is. This will center the window on the exterior better. Again, my two cents.

That's how I originally had it, but the stove is 4" long and the sink is only 2 1/2" long. So the sink fits better behind the stairwell AND I can fit a chopping block in beside it, something I really wanted. Besides, that entire stairwell is walled in and so that corner behind it is going to be very dark if I don't have some sort of window there. The other thing that stopped me is that the window is 6" high. It would have to start about 3 1/2" up to fit over the sink and that would bring the top of it right up to the ceiling. I wasn't real thrilled with that.

This way, I have plenty of room for the stove with a cabinet on each end and for the large copper hood that will go over it. The sink will catch the light from the window without the little person having to stand right in front of a window. And I have a place to hang my pots and pans (copper hanging in the window is going to look so pretty) and a place for an herb garden. And the cabinet on the other side of the sink under the window is just the right size for a dish drainer.

One other thing I've decided is that I will be using my own staircases after all. So.........does anyone want to buy a couple of Timberbrook staircases?

I'm also going to do away with the vestibule. The wall will just jog there if anyone wants to go down the basement or outside. So two doors there instead of three.

12 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

The other thing that stopped me is that the window is 6" high. It would have to start about 3 1/2" up to fit over the sink and that would bring the top of it right up to the ceiling. I wasn't real thrilled with that.

I don't recall what the windows look like. Could it be installed sideways? Or could you make a horizontal window for the space? Or one shaped to fit the space (if under the stairs it doesn't lend itself to a rectangle?

So month two into our club building 25 Primroses. They all should have been sanded, primed and the shell should have been put together ready for our tape wire session, last night. Well let's just say I was hopeful.  Didn't get much tape wiring done since most of the houses were still at various stages. I just emailed everyone a YouTube on how to install a tape wire system. Hopefully, they will all be ready for wallpapering next month.

19 hours ago, smjsome said:

I too want to see a tutorials for those doors Mike, they are amazing.  I,have a friend who is going to donate her dept store, those doors make it very tempting to buy it off her.  It's no where near as grand as your store, but ....

I did start one Sharon which covers the first stages of the housing.....what I didn't photograph because I'm a confirmed idiot! was the door assembly. The doors are mount card with clear perspex inserts and where the doors meet in the centre I fixed a 2mm brass tube so that a rod could be inserted through the central hole in the top of the housing!.........I suppose I could make up another set of doors and photograph the stages!

14 hours ago, KathieB said:

I don't recall what the windows look like. Could it be installed sideways? Or could you make a horizontal window for the space? Or one shaped to fit the space (if under the stairs it doesn't lend itself to a rectangle?

kitchen1.jpg.4bf1c1bfe088b5b505b2eb7091f

These are the windows - they're a matching set of 11 windows, so I really don't want to change anything on them. I already tried that and ruined two of them with a third one needing repair. That's the stove I'm going to be using (with a few changes to it). The two windows in the kitchen here are the two 5" ones. The one I'm putting in the corner is a double 6" window that was originally going to go in the bedroom. The problem with putting two single windows together is that because of the upper trim, the windows need to be at least 1" apart. That makes the windows 6" in total width from glass side to glass side. That's wider than the stove and way wider than the sink. The double window by contrast will be 5" wide, which is  why I switched it out from the bedroom (the bedroom is now getting the two 5" windows).

I have one set of stairs in my living room, another set on the second floor going to the 3rd floor, but the stairs I'm talking about here are stairs that go to the basement from the kitchen. So there won't be any stairs in the kitchen itself, just the stairwell and I'm putting a wall around that. That means the corner behind the stairwell where the sink is will be somewhat dark. So if I put the large double window in that corner, besides letting a lot of light in, it will also be useful for seeing into that corner from the outside.

That window opening on the left side will be filled in, by the way.

Well, I certainly had fun this afternoon. I decided to draw in all the cutouts I'll need to make for the windows and two doors. At the same time, I decided to draw the wall widths on the floors and walls, so when I go to put the walls in, I'll know exactly where they go and hopefully they'll be straight without me having to cuss a blue streak about crooked walls. I did find out that just about every large piece of wood in this kit is slightly warped. I also found out I really don't care that much. As long as the house doesn't fall down, I'm happy.

I'll need to finish drawing in what I'm going to cut tomorrow, because I'm going to borrow an extension cord and then try to get all the cutting and building done over the weekend. I'll do the cutting on the lower floors and walls on Saturday morning and then put that section together, and save the roof area and the bay window for Sunday. Maybe I'll have some pictures on Saturday to show everyone.

I found out that I had to subtract half an inch from the kitchen, making it only 14" across. That's going to take some reconfiguring. And I have no idea what I'm going to do about stairs. I had changed my mind and decided to use my own stairs, now I want to put a wall against the lower staircase again and that means I need to use the two Timberbrook staircases. But I have no idea how long they are. For my staircases, a stairwell on the second floor would be 7" x 3". That's how long I'm going to cut them and if the Timberbrook staircase doesn't fit, I guess I'll need to fill in the opening a little. I'd rather cut it too long than too short at this stage of the game. I'm hoping the Timberbrook staircases are actually a little shorter than mine, Mine have 16 steps to the top. That's a long staircase!

By contrast, the stairwell to the basement is only 2 1/2"" x 3 1/4". The basement is only going to be 8" high, but still......

A friend gave me a beautiful terrarium on a stand. I immediately put away the antique store and started turning the terrarium into a conservatory for Tessie.  It is all on my blog.  If you want to see just push "my blog changes daily" below.  Be sure to keep scrolling down. I am having a great time with it so far.  Much more than the antique store!

The Timberbrook stairs arrived today. And they're too short. They're supposed to fit a 10" ceiling, but I think that means they fit only a 9 5/8" ceiling. I needed stairs to fit a 10" ceiling from floor to ceiling, including the 3/8" floor above. So now I'm back to using my stairs again.

Well, at least I won't have to buy basement stairs now.

Fiddling with thecurtai s for the top room of the  lighthouse.  Sharing each one and as I one at a time it takes ages in between the drying phases... Or atleast a couple of hours LOL so am also addi g trim bita here and there giving it that finished look somehow. 

Going to need to add some touch up paint here and there too, but somehow it is actually nedring completion. <sigh> feels a bit weird as it has been THE project I have Done here in the new house from start so to speak. I took it over to this house while we still had the other place too so it has been in progress since around -10 and it has slowly developed its story and its own character over the years, adding the cellar and garden area as it is situated on a "cliff" . It will be fun trying to capture it in pictures too as "Done" sometime,during the next coming weeks.

hugs

24 minutes ago, Anna said:

It will be fun trying to capture it in pictures too as "Done" sometime,during the next coming weeks.

Anna, it has been a treat following your progress with this project. Can't wait to see the "Done" photos. :) 

• Like 1