What's everyone working on?

14 hours ago, minikelli said:

Theresa, I'm right there with you in regards to it being so humid in Ohio you drip standing still! Sad point is for the last three days the sky has become so cloudy with plenty of thunder and lightening -- and of course, not one blessed drop of rain! Ugh! Anyways, I'm still working on revamping my interior workspace with freshly patched walls and new paint as well as trying to pare down some of my minis that I don't see using in any of my houses/roomboxes.

All in all, between jumping through hoops to secure the new work from home job and redoing my living and working spaces here at the old homestead haven't really gotten to work on my Brownstone recently. Bright side, I am actually doing well on getting more houses out into the shop for the time being so I can get everything painted and situated a bit more sensibly for working on my houses inside during the winter months... but geesh it would be so nice to get a break from the heat and humidity here -- my head looks like a red brillo pad right now with the frizz factor!  :afro:

When I was in California, my curly hair ended up just having a wave. One summer back in Midwest and my hair looked like I put pin curls in every night. On really bad days, I looked like I had been hit with lightning. On the plus side, it's the only time my eyelashes would curl naturally. I think even my eyebrows curled a little bit!

Today I'm going to try to get at my dollhouse and do some more spackling. Since the porch roof is held on by a thread (or more accurately, 3 nails and it only took 21 tries to get those 3 into the wood), I decided a little bit more glue in the joints wouldn't hurt. So that was my morning exercise.

While the husband and contractor were busy outside, I slipped upstairs and messed about, came up with wire pegs, so my baker can change out her labels as needed, and a sign for above the stand.  I stenciled the words onto it, which was scary, cause one mess up and I would have had to start over.    I am still bothered by the height of the stand, I think it's too short.

I'm still working on basket weave pattern veneer and tile flooring for the third floor of my Georgetown Brownstone project... Contact cement and I are becoming wonderful friends! lol In other news as I'm still working on my interior work space(read that as bedroom/craft area) I've been moving all of my kits and houses out to my shop work areas. Last night I moved out an older Walmer Blueberry Pie kit that I had started working on back in 2012 I believe. I had had thoughts of making it into a MacKenzie Childs inspired house. I managed at the time to get a good portion of the first floor done with egg carton stone, and managed to prime the front panel... then I just got sidetracked by other projects. Last night in moving it out to the shop I thought it would be as good a time as any to get to work on it again.

Sooo, my front panel is now decked out in courtly check with gold leaf applied to the trim on the sides. My tissue paper I decoupaged on got a little wrinkly with the first coat of Modge Podge, but all in all when I went out to look at it today -- I LOVE it! I typically don't go for painted wood so much as stains, or natural finishes. However there is just something so incredibly fun about their pieces that I really wanted to do a build with this as the theme. This has meant keeping my eyes open for good deals on napkins and tissue papers so I can decoupage the walls, as well as socks etc by them so that I can do some fun ottomans and poufs -- but last night finally seeing it coming to life again really made me grin from ear to ear. IF I can get pictures to upload I'll try to start an album to follow along as I work on it.  :construction:

Yesterday I fiddled with the garden around the lighthouse, installed a few flower pots in a rock bed. I finally got a perfect excuse to use the tiny pebbles I brought home with me from the black benches of Fuertaventura. 

large.image.jpg.de9a60ec6b92df5539947c78

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smjsome said:

Those are awesome pebbles

I fel in Love with those pebbles when we first walked that beach, brought home a bag with them first trip, and as i knewthey were there this year I was prepared for taking home more ;) this round which I did. So smooth as they have been washed around in the sea for ever and ever as it seems. The black sand is awesome to look on too, next time I will gather some of that too I think.

hugs

I spent most of yesterday afternoon putting the Mardi Gras float back together. It was disassembled ane crated more than a year ago for shipment from Missouri to Houston. There was a lot of rehab involved. It did not travel well. With tacky glue and my trusty hot glue gun, it once again shines in all its glory in a room that the new owner is doing over as her Mardi Gras room. It couldn't have ended up in a better place. :) She snapped a lot of pictures and promised to share them with me.

After Zoe finally let me up, (sweet thing, haha, she has claws, and held on tight), my grandsons give Zoe, the tiniest cat ever, the largest space when walking by her) 

I ran up to the attic and slapped my produce stand onto a saw and just cut the too short legs right off.  It was an emotional roller coaster.

I used toothpicks as tiny pegs and attached longer legs, I reused the shelf from the bottom.  And then painted it to match.  Its not as sturdy as it was, being patched, but I'm hoping nobody comes along and adds an actual watermelon to it.  I am pretty sure it can handle a 1:12 watermelon, and that's all that counts.  I like it so much better, now I can see the bottom shelf crates 

Before -

• Like 1

Spent a total of 6 hours working on DH yesterday. Got a lot of odds and ends done. Finally got the roof glued and should be fitting it today. Then it its the tower. Kind of dread that. Got a feeling its not going to be easy.  

Durcraft san fran 555 is really just an awful build. ( in my opinion)  The tongue and groove siding/front window..the having to trim so many strips of wood at angles and cut them down after installed...gluing the roof onto 3rd ( maybe 4th . not there yet) floor base wall trim?? Will that even hold?  the walls not having a tab to glue into the floors....the complicated directions. I just think some things are unnecessary. It is a very" bit and pieces" build. By that i mean many things need cut..sanded,..trimmed..fitted..cut more..trim and more trim..   It has been a challenge that's for sure,

Sorry for rant.  maybe a bit biassed since the window ordeal, I really don't like this house. Yet I will continue to make it look the best I can without going too much into details. Saving that for my next house.

• Like 1

all work on my Taft has stopped for now...

it was brought to my attention that Alexis...the young lady who started an Orchid with me and Pixie but with her busy life and an hour away hasnt been back to finish so I am doing that for her birthday on the 23rd.. she now has 2 baby sisters so yesterday I reinforced the base and started staining trim...I also TP'd the 2nd floor ceiling and dormers with a pale pink...today I will sponge some white on it...the rest of the interior will be an off white and I will not add any texture...just in case she feels like wallpapering or little girls feel like coloring it...lol....I have some puzzle furniture kits that I will include for her and I dollhouse repair kit will complete her gift...she loves to make polymer clay items in miniature...at 14 she may feel she is too old...but Ive seen her eyes light up at a miniature show....and I recognize the look!:bow_arrow:

so I encourage her when I can...which isnt often as I see her maybe 4 times a yr...lol...did tell my daughter should something happen to me...she is to let Lexi have a house of her choosing from my collection...my daughters answer...ok but not the Queen! hahahahahahahahaha!

it will be nice to have one of those UFO's done and out of my niche....after the Taft is finished Im moving back to the MHM...sigh...anyone feel my unlove of that project now on its 10 yrs waiting...sorry but I actually would rather use it for kindling:dunno:

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎07‎:‎51‎, smjsome said:

Home from errands and a rainy day, I think, I'll run upstairs and work on the bakery, and Zoe decided she needed a nap, in my lap.  I've been stuck here for an hour

image.jpg

aaawww....just wanna snuggle her!  Is she a Birman?  We had one a number of years ago- just loved him!  would love to have another Birman someday.... but for now, we are spoiling our Max.  ;)

• Like 1

I am making slow progress on my client's rehab house...not sure why, but selecting paint colors for this house has been pain staking!  I had painted the dining room red and thought that is what it wanted, and painted the bedroom pink, because that is what I thought I wanted....well, nix on both accounts!  The girl bedroom is now purple and the dining room is a nice sage green (hubby's suggestion).  Now contemplating the boy bedroom color.....did a test of a nice pale blue: nope.  DD#2 just painted her kitchen. Think I will stop in and swipe some of her leftover paint.  LOL

In the meantime, the dark stained floors and baseboards got their first coat of poly.  Light sand and 2nd coat on tonite.  REALLY want to get this painting finished up by this weekend!  I'm ready to start on the Christmas stand: got my paint stripper and a new toy- a B&D "mouse" sander!  :D Woo hoo! Bring on the demolition!  LOL

Zoe is an alley rescue this last winter, my husband found her after dark driving into the garage, she was sitting atop a stack of construction materials at the side of the garage.  It was below freezing out! 

She cost a fortune- vet visits and such.  But she's my girl.  Her eyes were completely infected w stuff, and turned out to be gorgeous blue.  She has super short legs and a flat nose? So not sure of her breed.  She's also super short.  She's about year old now, and much smaller than the boys, but is completely in charge. 

• Like 2

Oh, Theresa, I do feel your pain.  The SF555 was my first-ever kit build.  I didn't know any better, so when it came time to install the upper floors I used some mini molding I found at Hobby Lobby as ceiling cornices and glued the floors onto them.  This being a family forum (rated G) I will not tell you some of the *magic* words I used on those windows.  I think I only reglued the tower roof once...

• Like 3

Thresa, I totally understand re: the SF 555. I am back to working on mine; I started the build in 1996. I'm sure yours will not take this long. Yes, it is a LOT of cutting, trimming, planning, fitting, switching back and forth between pieces...but I found it to be worth it in the end. That's not to say that I'd build it again, though! I was in Hobby Lobby last week and witnessed a dad buy a Painted Lady for his 8- or 9-year old daughter; he was fretting about putting it together but it's one of the RGT ones and I told him he could do it!!! SO MUCH EASIER!!!

You will learn a LOT from this build. Also, it's a very pleasantly proportioned house when it's done.

I have spent the last few days constructing newel posts and gluing all the spindles to my staircases. Today I'll be laying the wood floors so hopefully I can install the staircases next week. Feels good to be working on it again; maybe I can get the furniture out of storage and into the house! The twenty-year project continues.

• Like 1

The kids and I are working on a Shadybrook cabin, decorating it to look like the Ingalls' house in "Little House in the Big Woods." They are excited to get out the fimo and make the winter stores of foods as described in the book--pumpkins, onion braids, cheeses, peppers, sausages, etc. 

Yesterday I picked up a Fairfield kit for $25, and I have plans to finally start the little Hogwarts to go with our 2.5 inch HP figurines. I haven't told the kids about that yet--I'm afraid they will want to abandon the cabin so I will start Hogwarts. Frankly, I'm a bit tempted, but I've decided that we need to finish the cabin first. 

popping in to say hey...HEY...been working and making nice progress on the Orchid....I put the big dormer on last night and I think I finished doing all my stained pieces...have the bay window together...today I start the punching out of all the bricka-brac  and prime it before painting it all white... I ended up doing the 2nd floor ceilings all pink and white sponge painted with 2 coordinating papers for the dividing wall...everything else will be white...down stairs livingroom is a light denim blue while the kitchen is yellow...again with coordinating papers only on the dividing wall...this way if she ever decides to redecorate...there will be minimum deconstruction to do...looking forward to getting back to the Taft....

• Like 1