What's everyone working on?

I cut out the mailbox in the Glencroft and made an arch out of the kitchen door. I won't be able to do much else on the house anymore because the side I need to put on is still at Lisa's and I need to buy some beams to support the living room ceiling, and I won't be able to get either until after the 1st.

Definite congrats Marla! Kathi, awesome that you got the Ryokan lit up!

For myself -- I finally got my front on the Brownstone bricked! Super glad I did this, even though I was having a few issues with the Magic Brik stencil pulling up some of the bricks... but I only have one section I'm going to have to re-do tomorrow, and otherwise the little bits and pieces of brick that came up are going to be perfect for me in their imperfection! My goal at the beginning of this build was to have it be a brownstone that showed some of it's age even while staying classy. The broken bricks I think are going to fit in well with that. In other mini-related projects I finished up making a mattress today and will be dressing a bed here soon. Scary just how many fabrics I have, time to put some of them to use!

• Like 3

Definite congrats Marla! Kathi, awesome that you got the Ryokan lit up!

For myself -- I finally got my front on the Brownstone bricked! Super glad I did this, even though I was having a few issues with the Magic Brik stencil pulling up some of the bricks... but I only have one section I'm going to have to re-do tomorrow, and otherwise the little bits and pieces of brick that came up are going to be perfect for me in their imperfection! My goal at the beginning of this build was to have it be a brownstone that showed some of it's age even while staying classy. The broken bricks I think are going to fit in well with that. In other mini-related projects I finished up making a mattress today and will be dressing a bed here soon. Scary just how many fabrics I have, time to put some of them to use!

7 hours ago, kathi17 said:

I worked on lighting the ryokan today and it really lit up, I couldn't believe it!!! It was so much fun!

It is always such a triumphant moment when the lights go on and stay on! High five! I'm up to June now on the blog and can't believe all the parts and pieces and how well you've done with all of them! Skilled and patient, that's what you are!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I cut out the mailbox in the Glencroft and made an arch out of the kitchen door. I won't be able to do much else on the house anymore because the side I need to put on is still at Lisa's and I need to buy some beams to support the living room ceiling, and I won't be able to get either until after the 1st.

Ugh! I get so annoyed when I'm really making progress then have to wait for materials. Although, that's usually when I come up with the best ideas... Forced to think outside the box and all that. Luckily the 1st is coming up quick!

6 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

It is always such a triumphant moment when the lights go on and stay on! High five! I'm up to June now on the blog and can't believe all the parts and pieces and how well you've done with all of them! Skilled and patient, that's what you are!

Thanks so much Jodi. I've been reading your blog too, and love what you are doing to the piggies house!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Kelly, I was wondering how you were going to use all of the Glencroft's walls.

Well, Kathie B made a great suggestion about having the little box be used for milk deliveries. I thought about making two openings, one for mail and another on the bottom for milk. Then I decided to do something different. I had cut the little mailbox in a little triangular shape, but I think I'm going to make it a larger square shape and then when the house is finished, put both a single bottle of milk and some letters into the outside box. I'm also going to put a little bell pull that the mailman can pull when the mail arrives.

11 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Ugh! I get so annoyed when I'm really making progress then have to wait for materials. Although, that's usually when I come up with the best ideas... Forced to think outside the box and all that. Luckily the 1st is coming up quick!

It drives me crazy, but I still need to get some spackling on the house. That and sanding will keep me busy for the next couple of days.

• Like 1

On September 24, 2016 at 6:38:25 PM, stickyfingers said:

Mary, me? I did that kind of technique for my Orchid and was really happy with it! Glad someone else found the tips useful. I'm pretty sure I copied it from the former Glorious Twelfth blog. Can't wait to see your house all finished!

Yup, I love your Orchid so much and I really liked that idea for frosting the windows. One of those things that makes me giggle when it works because I'm just so delighted at how easy it is to get the result I wanted. Thanks again!

I have not had any mini time yet this week, and it's not looking likely until the weekend. But my sister and I got tickets to see Hamilton in Chicago next spring and I am so happy I'm about to take flight. I think it was a year ago this week they released the cast album and I became an instant fan (or, as we sometimes say, the trash of the thing). That I get to see it performed live is just--I'm over the moon. I should figure out some Hamilton-related minis to scatter through my projects...

6 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

The nice man came this AM and installed our pretty new a/c unit in the workshop.  Were letting it run at 80 degrees to get rid of the musties, but I've already gone out to play and what a difference!

So jealous. My BIL's house which we are trying to fix up and sell has a wonderfully large shed on the property. It would have made the perfect workshop.  It even has electricity. 

16 hours ago, havanaholly said:

The nice man came this AM and installed our pretty new a/c unit in the workshop.  Were letting it run at 80 degrees to get rid of the musties, but I've already gone out to play and what a difference!

Great! Now you can play whenever you like. :) Take that, Mother Nature!

7 hours ago, AmyBrandon said:

Right now I'm working on not losing my mind. 

Yeah- right there with you!  :crazyeyes:   

It's been a very stressful week for me- first time working on a big sale event, but I think I survived!    Haven't had the energy (or focus) to work on the rehab projects at all.  blargh.  First of all, I need some major sleep - and then I will be ready for mini time!

• Like 1

What I've been working on: re-applying brick stencil in areas of my Brownstone project where my bricking came off with the stencil. In addition I spent several hours out in my shop photographing roll after roll of various sheets of wallpaper to try and sell in one of the FB groups to clear out some more room for storage of stuff I don't see using myself, last but not least have been working on painting and papering my first 1:144 scale house. I've built 1:144 scale corner displays, but not a full house -- if it weren't for the same porch railing breaking into multiple pieces twice now I'd say I quite enjoy this. As it stands, I'm now tracing the matching porch railing for the other side of the porch on to 1/16" basswood in hopes of cutting out a new section...

Well, bright side of good work for me today actually managed to get my porch railing back together with glue... not as it initially was but still passable. So worked on painting the exterior of the house as well as papering my last two rooms on that. :)

Well, bright side of good work for me today actually managed to get my porch railing back together with glue... not as it initially was but still passable. So worked on painting the exterior of the house as well as papering my last two rooms on that. :)

More progress! Got a few things spray painted for the barn, and (finally) got the roof panels glued on! It still needs aging and distressing a bit, but glad that step is finally finished! I hope to get the bathroom pieces spray painted later this week, if the weather cooperates. This is a fall-themed barn...don't think it'll be done by Thanksgiving this year, but whatever.

More picking and sanding and gluing and fixing on the yellow house. Some days I'm really pleased with the progress, other days I wonder why I bother. I feel like once the exterior repairs are done, I'm going to prime and paint it. That acid yellow and lavender just makes my eyes hurt, and I feel like a nice calm coat of white paint will soothe my soul and make the rest of the finishing so much easier. And I'll be glad when I get past the really messy parts of the rehab, and I can bring it inside.     

• Like 1