What's everyone working on?

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Matt, I like how your Victorianna is turning out, and I see you're another fan of vivid colors.  I really! like the parlor floor!

Thanks Holly!

Actually the yellow is not as bright as in the pictures.  I think my flash made it look so bright.  I tried to adjust in Photoshop without much luck.  The parlor floor is a Brodnax's kit.  It was really easy to put down. The rest of the floors are coffee stirrers.  Tonight I start looking in boxes for some furniture.  I have a sofa and chair set for the parlor and some tables.  I have bedroom furniture as well I need to pull out.  I have several Cassidy kits I want to assemble for this house as well.

On Monday, October 10, 2016 3:16:57, KathieB said:

So maybe the residents imported some furniture? 

No, it's more than that. What I'd like to do with a French house is make it subtly French. So if someone saw it, they could say, "That's a French house" even if they couldn't put their finger on exactly what made them think the house was French. Same with the Tuscan house I want to do.

Well, the wallpapers decided me too. The furniture and wallpaper I want to put in the living room are going to make it a very English cottage, and I already know what wallpaper is going in the master bedroom, and that will make it very English cottagy also.

In case anyone cares what I have been up to these past two weeks.....I posted some pics of my Christmas tree stand project.  Not much to look at, but dang!  Days and days with paint remover, and then a heat gun...scraping and scraping and scraping and sanding!  Whew!  I still have the roof section and the fence to do, but at least I feel like I've made a dent in the progress! 

• Like 1

had the grans over and while they finished their projects I worked more on the Queen....slowly getting it all white...I posted photos....right after I took the photos I decided I couldnt  stand the plain board so its now painted grass green...which made my hubby take a double take when he walked by.....I had to talk him into the expense of the house...he didnt see it until he was moving it into the house...the first thing he said was....thats a BIG house and then he said...you ARE going to paint it? right? lol...he LOVES how it looks now.....he has sooo  many ideas...lol...I told him he needs to get his own house for those ideas lol!

will keep working on the Windows but it will be slow as my attention is elsewhere for a few more weeks...

thanks for the feedback its nice to know when one is headed in the right direction....

:peace:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Whilst I prefer blue doors for my houses, I really like the red door on The Queen.

Just for fun ...

There are a lot of legends around red doors ... a sign of welcome, protection [think of the blood the Hebrew children were instructed to rub on their doorposts so that the Angel of Death would pass over their home]. Many churches have red doors. In feng shui it attracts positive energy to the home. In Scotland it represents a mortgage paid up. Some say that Albert Einstein painted his door red so he could find his way home. Some say it was a sign of a safe house along the Underground Railroad during the Civil War.  

A blue door symbolizes water and abundance, trust, loyalty and stability, linked with feelings of safety and security. Blue doors are calming. 

• Like 2

funny thing about the red/versus blue door....I have always preferred red doors in my own homes...for all of the above reasons....

that said after the door was painted it immediately said hmmm I think I should have been blue...I have wonderful shells in colors of blue to do the foundation with...but until I do this...It will remain red...unless I happen to find a new door to stain the same color as the roof.

my daughter got me 50$ gift egift from miniatures.com...cant wait to spend it on my lovely Queen!

Great work everyone!! I'm loving that red door on the Queen! The yellow house is going to have a blue door, just haven't found the right blue yet. Or the right door! I have a red door on my real house, too! We painted a year or so ago, and my husband thought I was nuts for going red, but he loved it when it was done.

Still chipping away at the yellow house. I am ALMOST done repairing broken plastic! It's been slow but steady work, and seems to be working. I still have barely started work on the final front section, which will also be slow and tedious. I removed the porch rails, but not the posts. One post is a wee bit crooked, and they're all badly painted. I was going to just remove them, and replace with new rather than fiddle with trying to fix them, but I can't find a post with that profile, and it matches the molded trim, so I'm stuck with them. I also can't seem to get them loose. At all. I don't want to risk breaking them, so it looks like I'll be working around them, and the one will always lean a little. I really admire all of your painting work on the Queen, Nutti, because just trying to get my hand in there to clean is a chore, I can't imagine what painting will be like. Small brush with a long handle?  

ty...the hardest part...excluding the windows....was/is the front porch..(yanno cuz I should have removed the porch rails)....I actually sawed the handle of my brush in half to get it in there...and removed the brush head for one part...still seeing hints of turquoise here and there but its getting there...

I actually have said many times during the repainting process.....my hat is OFF!:3rd: to all you rehabbers out there!  you guys do amazing work in teeny tiny spaces....

and the yellow house is a dream house I would have passed by...cannot wait to see it finished....

and Dear Jackie oooo girl we care...I am sooo loving the particular project you are doing...it reminds me of my gran who used to tell us every yr about something just like this from her childhood...she always hated that it burnt when her mothers boarding home caught fire....

On 10/14/2016, 10:30:27, claireliontamer said:

I'm trying to work out the best way to do curtains.  It doesn't help that I don't have a picture in my head of what I want them to look like when they're done.  

To make curtains? If that s what you mean.... I seen some nice how to videos on YouTube.  I myself, need to try making some. Deciding if I want to add to house I'm doing now or another one.  Have to share how you do them. 

Roof on San Fran 555..painted. Second coat tomorrow then sealing. Finally, cleaning up and fixing anything.  I'm going to try curtains too.....try..lol 

Curtains scare me too - one day I will attempt them

I cannot wait to see that tree stand finished!

I have the entire weekend alone, with no intention to do any adult work at all, so today I attempted steps for the outside of the stump, and furniture.  Tomorrow I will either work on the tiny garden, or I will attempt more furniture for the roof.  I'd like to have some wicker for the roof, maybe out of lace?  Any ideas?

This my first ever tiny scale, and how do you make tiny accessories?  For the shelf I did make books by gluing bits of wood together, but I have no other ideas!

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016‎ ‎12‎:‎45‎:‎21‎, nuttiwebgal said:

and Dear Jackie oooo girl we care...I am sooo loving the particular project you are doing...it reminds me of my gran who used to tell us every yr about something just like this from her childhood...she always hated that it burnt when her mothers boarding home caught fire....

oh thank you!   And I would love to hear stories about your Gran's tree stand!  I had never heard of it before, and as I am working on this project it really has me intrigued.  :) 

• Like 1

I can't make a decision about wallpaper. I've found a few papers for the yellow house that I like, but still can't pull the trigger. I've been looking at web pics, blogs, books, etc. about French décor, and everything seems to have such pale, soft walls. Many are just painted white. I am a fan of plain painted walls and minimal color, but I'm afraid it will just be too stark and boring. On the other hand, I'm afraid the wallpapers will be too much color and pattern.

The look I'm going for is vintage French. Not the pastel-colored shabby chic look, and not the gold and red French country look. Something soft and worn and decades old, elegant but casual. High and low.

If I just buy papers that I like, I'll always like them, even if they don't work with this house, right?

2 hours ago, jbnmini said:

And I would love to hear stories about your Gran's tree stand! 

alas all I remember is tree decorating nights and her n grandpa would come and grownup drank coffee while we decorated and always when dad was struggling with the stand she would tell us how when she was a young girl her daddy would always put their tree(she never said it was artificial) in the sweetest stand and she and her brothers and sister would fuss(never fight) over who put what animal or little decoration into the yard...as we moved 3 hours away when I was 14 and that was the last of the tree story....and of course who thinks to ask of such things as an adult...

her mother ran a boarding/apartment house all my grans childhood...it caught fire when she was 11 or 12 and the side that got gutted was the attic where they kept all the decorations and it was lost...

1 hour ago, stickyfingers said:

If I just buy papers that I like, I'll always like them, even if they don't work with this house, right?

I have a huge stack of those papers. I'm always afraid they won't be available when I will need them so I always buy at least three sheets.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stickyfingers said:

I can't make a decision about wallpaper. I've found a few papers for the yellow house that I like, but still can't pull the trigger. I've been looking at web pics, blogs, books, etc. about French décor, and everything seems to have such pale, soft walls. Many are just painted white. I am a fan of plain painted walls and minimal color, but I'm afraid it will just be too stark and boring. On the other hand, I'm afraid the wallpapers will be too much color and pattern.

The look I'm going for is vintage French. Not the pastel-colored shabby chic look, and not the gold and red French country look. Something soft and worn and decades old, elegant but casual. High and low.

Robin Carey uses a lot of yellow papers in her French houses

http://robincarey.blogspot.com/2013/05/grande-maison-de-poupee.html?m=1