What's everyone working on?

Took a break from the dollhouse workshop. Instead today was another day of baking branches I've already sliced down for my hopefully cord wood look mini floor. I'm really loving the way it's looking so far, but this is coming from someone whom has always loved the beauty of bare wood and is not so much a fan of painted wood. I also started on another 1:144 scale house. It is again an older model by North Eastern, and has a number but no name that I can find on the paperwork that came with it. Was kind of amusing to note that the rubberband the trim had been held together with in the bag had dried out and broken while stuck to the trim pieces -- not a lot of fun to clean that all off. but so far the kit has gone together beautifully. The outside and trim pieces are all painted as is the tin roof. I have the interior ceilings painted and the floors stained too. Going to see if I can get it papered before I go to sleep and put it all together tomorrow. Really nice to be able to show a completely built and decorated house in a few hours time! lol

I have finally gotten back out to the shop to pick at Brimble's some more.  I have been painting interior window trim and installing windows, which meant it was time to begin applying the wallpaper upstairs.

I did get DH to get me more paint mixed so I can once again paint the never ending windows of the Queen

1 week out from wedding #1....my wedding projects are completed with full approval from the bride and thats saying something...lol....

found out that my niece who is also having a baby 2 weeks before my daughter is also having a girl....this is same niece that once upon a time I built the Pink and black Newburg for...it was tossed during a move so she no longer has a house....

soooooo my daughter who as we know is NOT a miniaturist but appreciates the work and love put into such things...she has decided that she would rather I do all I desire to the Queen and enjoy it...and someday it will be hers...in the meantime...her MHM will finally be finished and make its way Back to MO for my niece and her new daughter....at some point...and for my daughters little girl? well she adored her barbie house mom and dad made for her when she was 4 and we are going to duplicate it with all of my now skills for her kidos...

loving all the new photos when I stop by...the landscaping on the Ryokan is looking wonderful and the stump house has given me an idea to finish a project I started yrs ago as something else...might need to be a tree stump!!

keep all the eyecandy coming Im sure not to be the only one lurking!:batman:

• Like 2

Plan on going to craft store to see about door hardware and anything still on clearance at pat catans (not a great place for dh stuff but it's local.)  Making a list of items needed for my colonial rehab.  Should be starting to repaint house. Just need to find my inner "go for it"  lol

Trying to get Winnie the Pooh's house done before Christmas. I keep thinking of all these nice things to do/make for it, and then I remember it's for a toddler boy, so the priorities are really durability and safety.

Nothing too tiny that can be shoved into mouths and noses and ears, and the furniture is plastic or solid wood, and the Pooh characters are little plush guys. The pictures on the wall are printed out and glued onto the wall, etc.

I'm still trying to make it look as nice as possible, since it'll be under the Christmas tree, but it's hard not to fill a dollhouse with tons of furniture and cute accessories.

• Like 1

Still slowly, slowly working on the barn and yellow house. And like a mad woman, ordered a small kit to be a surprise gift for a friend. No rush on that, but a big birthday coming up in a few months, so...it's already been dry fitted, planning to recut the door and windows, ordering from HBS, etc. I have a lot going on.

Anyway, I wanted to share two product reviews. The first is Elmer's Carpenter's Color Change Wood Filler. I've been repairing furniture for years, have used many brands of filler, and this stuff is my new favorite. I'm using it to rebuild mouldings on the yellow house, and it's done a fine job. It's finely textured, so no grit at all, and when it's cured, it stays soft enough that it can be easily sanded smooth, and it can be carved with a craft knife without crumbling. It sticks to itself, so when I need to do repairs in layers, no problems blending one layer into another. I've also had no problems with it sticking to the styrene.

Product 2 is Krylon MAXX in metallic aluminum. Again, I've used many, many kinds/brands of spray paint over the years, and the metallics can be tricky. Particularly for mini use, they can look too glittery. I refinished an old card table over the weekend, and the original paint was kind of a brownish metallic. It was in bad shape, so I sanded with steel wool and used the Krylon. Turned out GREAT! Looks like a factory aluminum finish, very shiny and smooth, it really, really does look like aluminum. I had already painted a bunch of parts for the barn with Rustoleum aluminum, which was fine, but wish I had found this product first, because it's just so much better.     

• Like 2

Brimble''s second floor living area is papered and the glue is drying on two of the windows' interior parts.  I have one more piece of baseboard to cut & paint, but not until the other two pieces are glued into place (after the windows).

DH & I laid the new floor part that had to be replaced in front of our new, narrower bathtub (RL size).  Once the stickum has cured, probably Thursday, we can do the baseboard replacement and then the new shower rod & old folks' grab bar, and it'll be done!

just popping in for a quick holla....my friend just dropped by with a fun surprise....a box of renewal furniture that was in her friends mothers dollhouse once upon a time....I have not sat with them and looked at all the pieces but they have been boxed up for YEARS! and oooooo some of the items are sooooo wonderful...its a whole house...AND in the bottom of the box was what excited my friend the most....lol...8 matching white milk glass shot glasses...she was like LOOK for the Queen....planters!  I told her I would let her help me make topiaries for the Queen...

Sat my daughter is getting married and Sunday my niece and mother will be coming to stay with me until they leave on Wed...gonna be a long week...

hoping my niece will help me set up the Queen for Christmas and maybe even get the Village out....too early?? :dunno:

NAAAAAAAAAAA:clap:

• Like 2

After a month or so of not working on anything, my choice tonight was do the dishes or work on the Glencroft. Guess which one I opted for?

Since there is no staircase anymore on the side, I knocked the inner living room wall out and attached the outside wall. Before I did that, though, I first cut the outside wall in half. WHY????? did I do something so dumb? Because now that I've extended the living room into the space where the staircase was, I realized I could extend the bedroom into the same space. *facepalm*

I doubt I'll find the time to work on the house tomorrow (two doctor's appointments), but maybe on Thursday I can take another stab at it. I need to fill in the floor over the extension in the living room, cut out the inside wall in the bedroom, and reattach the top of the outside wall.

Because the inside wall in the living room is now gone, there is nothing to support the corner of the bedroom floor above. So I decided to cut a beam the length of the house and run it through both interior walls, and bring it just to the outside of the kitchen and living room walls. Now that beam is being supported by 4 walls and in turn, it's supporting the floor above it - literally.

I have an idea. Instead of extending the bedroom into the staircase space, I could leave the inside wall of the bedroom as is, lay a floor over the living room extension and make a little balcony there, using the original bedroom door for access. What do you guys think?

I just got through telling Lisa that, that if I opted for a balcony, the little house would probably have to revert back to a French cottage. I suppose I could always do that. It would be nice to have the extra room in the bedroom, but I don't need the extra room in the bedroom and I think it would be kind of neat to see a little balcony tucked in behind the chimney. But I still can't decide. It certainly wouldn't be a very large balcony, maybe 2" wide and about 5" long. But I could put flowers on it.

Hey everyone,

I've been away for quite a while, but I'm back into my hobby.  I recently purchased a half scale Buckhead Townhouse kit and I lucked up on a Joseph Angel on Craigslist for pretty cheap.

I'm excited to work on them both!

• Like 2

Heading to Wal-Mart to get Dremel then going to start sanding my house. I have all the colors for the outside. Plus I got a great tutorial for stone floor without using grout. ( doing a test piece  just in case ) Can't wait to get this going. :cucumber:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Always a good idea! < :hmm: why is it I rarely do this but plunge ahead blindly?>

So much for my test piece. I made a few Nick's in the wood. :doh: ended up hand sanding. Not crazy about dremel. Seem might be good for sanding house edges. I needed something for flat surface. Plus the one i bought has one setting. Think my best option is hand sanding.

So today I got shutters painted. The front of house is done painting. Have the side that need 2 more coats.  I have an option for wallpaper for living room/ dining room. Post pic in my gallery. Always open to suggestions. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, thresadep said:

So much for my test piece. I made a few Nick's in the wood. :doh: ended up hand sanding. Not crazy about dremel. Seem might be good for sanding house edges. I needed something for flat surface. Plus the one i bought has one setting. Think my best option is hand sanding.

So today I got shutters painted. The front of house is done painting. Have the side that need 2 more coats.  I have an option for wallpaper for living room/ dining room. Post pic in my gallery. Always open to suggestions. 

I had a feeling you actually needed a "Mouse Sander".   

• Like 1