What's everyone working on?

30 minutes ago, Sable said:

I had a feeling you actually needed a "Mouse Sander".   

Yep! that's it. I  tried searching hand sanders or small sanders but kept getting ones too big, This to may work

Proxxon Pen Sander PS 13  http://www.sears.com/proxxon-pen-sander-ps-13/p-00902367000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=CjwKEAiA6YDBBRDwtpTQnYzx5lASJAC57ObMZc7qOARch3D-zNKtlNzhW0b5d2uWn1QHGVzRlJhTCxoC0QTw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#Imagezoom

buying me a  sanding block too. :p

It's nearing Christmas time again so I'm back into mini's :). Decided two coworkers are getting the wooden books from Michaels made up with things they like. Learning how to do a distressed leather look with tissue paper and different paint colors...it really works! Tonight I'll be making the second book's cover :)

I've had a VERY productive day and a half working on the yellow house! Wasn't feeling up to cooking or cleaning, though there was laundry to do, so I just went out to the garage and got busy! ALMOST ready for primer!! I finished most of the exterior repairs, enlarged two of the interior door openings, moved a wall on one side and removed a wall on the other-haven't glued it back in yet, going to sleep on it.

I think I've decided to eliminate the stairs...for the angle to be correct, they'd be about 1.5 times the length of a standard staircase. It would also be more narrow. The new staircase would have to be built from scratch, and I just don't know if I want to devote that much time, effort, and real estate for the stairs, and they might look weird in the end, anyway.

Getting very excited about the idea of primer and paint for the exterior!!! Next to orange, yellow is one of my least favorite colors, and they used high gloss paint! I'm hoping that a softer color in a flatter sheen will make all the difference, and camouflage some of the flaws.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stickyfingers said:

I've had a VERY productive day and a half working on the yellow house! Wasn't feeling up to cooking or cleaning, though there was laundry to do, so I just went out to the garage and got busy! ALMOST ready for primer!! I finished most of the exterior repairs, enlarged two of the interior door openings, moved a wall on one side and removed a wall on the other-haven't glued it back in yet, going to sleep on it.

I think I've decided to eliminate the stairs...for the angle to be correct, they'd be about 1.5 times the length of a standard staircase. It would also be more narrow. The new staircase would have to be built from scratch, and I just don't know if I want to devote that much time, effort, and real estate for the stairs, and they might look weird in the end, anyway.

Getting very excited about the idea of primer and paint for the exterior!!! Next to orange, yellow is one of my least favorite colors, and they used high gloss paint! I'm hoping that a softer color in a flatter sheen will make all the difference, and camouflage some of the flaws.  

It's too bad they used a gloss paint, that will make it more difficult to cover, but the flatter paint will hide a lot of defects compared to the gloss. It's looking so much better already!

On 11/7/2016, 3:31:22, thresadep said:

So much for my test piece. I made a few Nick's in the wood. :doh: ended up hand sanding. Not crazy about dremel. Seem might be good for sanding house edges. I needed something for flat surface. Plus the one i bought has one setting. Think my best option is hand sanding.

So today I got shutters painted. The front of house is done painting. Have the side that need 2 more coats.  I have an option for wallpaper for living room/ dining room. Post pic in my gallery. Always open to suggestions. 

Yeah, that sanding drum is good for some things, but it's not good for flat surfaces!

I struggled with one speed forever. My husband bought me another Dremel a number of years ago, but unfortunately, he never paid attention to the fact that I needed variable speed and didn't want a battery operated one. It was one of the first battery powered Dremels. That one would run for about five or ten minutes, then I'd have to charge it for a few hours. It was useless. Next, I bought an inexpensive off brand one that was variable speed and plugged in, and I liked it better, but most attachments wouldn't fit in it, only the ones that came with it.

A while back, I bought the 4000, and I absolutely love it! It's the first Dremel I've had that I really liked!

I'm doing a craft fair next weekend, so I've been making a lot of Christmas cards to sell. That really cut into my mini time!

I've also been trying to figure out plans for a little Japanese tea house to go with the ryokan, and making lots and lots more flowers and things for the landscaping.

For the tea house to be authentic, it really should just have a very low door for guests to enter, and a larger separate door for the host. That means I would have to hinge a wall. I'm thinking that I would really rather have shoji doors that can slide open wide so you can see the interior through them. I'm one of those people who loves big windows and light, and feeling like the outside is an extension of the inside. I've pinned a ton of pictures, and there are some beautiful, but non-authentic tea houses with shoji doors. Anyway, it's been a dilemma for me, because I want it to be authentic, but I think I will go with the shoji because I like them better.

I was able to sneak in some mini work today, my kids all decided to come here for thanksgiving, which, we usually go there.  So - I am expected to decorate for any and all holidays.  Don't always though, unless a kid is coming, but they don't know that!

so, I dug into the basement and found some stuff from years ago, and while I was adding it around, I suddenly had a picture in my mind, I have domes on the mantel, which I switch out piece of furniture into, for display, and I decided to decorate the furniture.

i found a cruddy tiny wreath in my stash, and stripped it, used a hole punch and real leaves, they will probably crumble, but not before thanksgiving.  The table I made a cornucopia out of cross stich fabric, painted it roughly, added some stuff.  

39 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Didn't shoji doors predate the other kind?

I need to look back at the low doors in the tea houses I didn't like as well, They might have been shoji doors as well, but they are so low and dark, and the tea houses look so closed in that I don't really like them. I'm thinking about the kind that slide open in both directions and open up the whole wall, and let more air and light in.

The low doors are really low, and raised off the ground so you have to bend down and step up into them. They are supposed to make you feel humble, but I think they would make me feel claustrophobic!:eek:

5 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

You could always do a peek of stairs to suggest that they are there, just behind a wall where you can't see all of them. Can't wait to see what you pick for the outside! The primer should help you cover over the shiny yellow! Be sure to post photos!

2 hours ago, kathi17 said:

I need to look back at the low doors in the tea houses I didn't like as well, They might have been shoji doors as well, but they are so low and dark, and the tea houses look so closed in that I don't really like them. I'm thinking about the kind that slide open in both directions and open up the whole wall, and let more air and light in.

The low doors are really low, and raised off the ground so you have to bend down and step up into them. They are supposed to make you feel humble, but I think they would make me feel claustrophobic!:eek:

I think that a nice combination of "authentic but updated for the times would be great! If the doors are funky, it may look less authentic and more clunky. I say go with what pleases your eye!

• Like 1

soooo many wonderful projects going on...so nice to enjoy the photos...

Wedding #1 is over...followed by the flu...just feeling better today but not as well as Id like but we carry on...lol...did manage to spend about 30 mins standing here and there making slow progress...I decided I would use the larger brush first and do all the larger(HA) parts of the inner windows first....then come back thru with the smaller brush...this allows me to move a bit instead of just standing....less and less turquoise is showing each day...tomorrow I have to climb my lil step stool(HA) and tape off the widows walk...I hope...if I can get close enough... DH said he would help me...SUUURE...now that Im 90% done he is gonna remember that...lol...:dunce:              I also did more of the front porch gray and it really enhances the whole look...going to do the upper porch floor the same.  next is the Christmas Decorating....last yr I made several garlands with what I had on hand...have already purchased more supplies and before I add the Garland I am lighting the house...super excited to frame her in the big window all decked out with lights....how fun...:clap:

not planning any kind of Thanksgiving feast as we are pinching those pennies for Wedding #2 and our cruise followed immediately by Christmas....

who taught these kids how to plan? :dunno:

Sharon, love the Thanksgiving decorations! Very pretty!

Nutti! Slow down and take care of yourself! The dollhouse can wait!

Yeah, I may add a doorway in a corner or something to suggest stairs. Or not. I figure another few days of work before I can get it primed. All of the dirty work has been done in the garage, so I'll be excited to get it in the house. I'm using Krylon spray primer to cover the yellow and all of the repairs, so I shouldn't have any problems with the new paint.

Kathi, I don't have any suggestions for the doors, but whatever you decide I'm sure will be wonderful! That's such a great house!

in my case its the lil bit of working on the Queen that settles the brain...if Im concentrating on the fine details of the windows I cant be worrying about all those wedding and packing details...kind of stress therapy if you will...

if it were all a sit down job it would be done by now and I WILL have it ready to be turned fully decorated before I leave on my cruise Dec 9th....that has been my goal.....I had other goals with other projects but this is the one that will be met...:bruce:

Just back from vacation to the Outer Banks....and back to the real world. blargh.  I did work on my Christmas rehab project a bit while sitting on a beach in Nags Head!  :)  Yesterday in between doing laundry I started working on the brick walkway and steps....almost ready to paint bricks!:construction:

• Like 2

Does anyone have any of the printed paper plates? These are sold in sets with a few plates, placemats, etc. I'm intrigued by the thinness of them, and I'd love to have a set of Blue Willow, but afraid they might look a bit fake. Maybe a coat of Mod Podge or spray gloss?

Still chipping away at the yellow house. I'm regluing a wall and then repairing a few walls today. I'm going to add a plank ceiling for the porch and balcony. The original builder left it as bare cardboard, and that won't do. Maybe primer for the weekend? Funny thing about this house, at each step, I've told myself that if I can't fix it, or if it falls apart, I'd just put it at the curb, but we're both hanging in there!  The poor neglected barn! We're supposed to have warm, clear weather for the weekend, so maybe I can spray paint a few things for that?  

Linda, what works well for the paper printie plates is to coat the front & back with clear nail enamel, cut them out & use a pencil eraser end down on a mousepad to shape them, then continue with coats of the clear nail enamel,, letting each coat dry thoroughly.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2016, 10:37:03, jbnmini said:

Just back from vacation to the Outer Banks....and back to the real world. blargh.  I did work on my Christmas rehab project a bit while sitting on a beach in Nags Head!  :)  Yesterday in between doing laundry I started working on the brick walkway and steps....almost ready to paint bricks!:construction:

You are so lucky, I love the OBX. We went twice, in 2011 and 2012, and were thinking of moving to NC, but when we decided that, my mother decided to move permanently to Maine. Things are so remote here, that we had to stay to care for her. I remember how sad it was to come back to all the snow and cold after being down there in the spring time.

I love what you are doing with the Putz, it's so unique!

• Like 1

On November 15, 2016 at 11:39:45 AM, stickyfingers said:

Does anyone have any of the printed paper plates? These are sold in sets with a few plates, placemats, etc. I'm intrigued by the thinness of them, and I'd love to have a set of Blue Willow, but afraid they might look a bit fake. Maybe a coat of Mod Podge or spray gloss?

I had a woman print out copies of my Blue Willow plates. There was one problem, I had to put the plate  about 4 feet away in order for it to fit in the picture. By doing that it lost all of the fine detail. The mini paper plates looked out of focus. I did it with my turkey plates too and the same thing happened. Maybe a cell phone is not a good way to take the picture.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Your Blue Willow plates came out awfully dark!  I would think a regular digital camera would work better for keeping the crispness of the image?

I know, the cellphone and distance didn't do the job well enough.

Today we had a belates traditional goose dinner (Swedish version of Thanksgiving turkey I suppose)  and a stipulated rule is that the day we have this dinner MIL and I also have a mini-ing date/day. So she sets up a folding table i the living room and then we have a really lovley day doing whatever... I have been having fun trying out different ways of colours and patterns while weavi g a Moses basket and today I did this version;

large.image.jpg.abccc9615753725f8b3990a9must say I like the variagated pattern the blue gives. Thinking abot whether I am gong to make the handles blue,or keep them plain white.

hugs

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Anna said:

Today we had a belates traditional goose dinner (Swedish version of Thanksgiving turkey I suppose)  and a stipulated rule is that the day we have this dinner MIL and I also have a mini-ing date/day. So she sets up a folding table i the living room and then we have a really lovley day doing whatever... I have been having fun trying out different ways of colours and patterns while weavi g a Moses basket and today I did this version;

large.image.jpg.abccc9615753725f8b3990a9must say I like the variagated pattern the blue gives. Thinking abot whether I am gong to make the handles blue,or keep them plain white.

hugs

How cool is that? Love it.

• Like 1