What's everyone working on?

Anna...it is beautiful! 

I myself am still painting windows and have started my packing list for our trip....

while shopping for the trip I mentioned to DH that I would LOVE to light the Queen for Christmas and with all the new stuff out there....he found me led lights on a wire...battery operated 8ft long....they had multi colors...blue...red...green...and clear...these are sold in the Christmas section for wreaths and other items you would like to light...I have 3 of the clear...going to go back and get more to go under the snow of the Christmas Village...how fun.

• Like 2

oooppps sorry Kathie...I just assumed everyone would know Wal-Mart but then I should know better...:dunce::oops:

I will take a photo for those who may want to look online for them...I can see them being very useful in miniature settings

I will be in the niche all day with the most amazing grans...painting ceramic stuff I got them on clearance last yr for Christmas this yr.

and I agree...he is a keeper! and an enabler,,,sigh

• Like 1

I *may* be able to get primer on the yellow house this weekend. I thought I could start the final clean up and masking today, but found more bits to sand and scrape and glue and pick at. If the weather cooperates, I'm aiming for Friday!! Woop! Very exciting to get to this step. I kind of think of it like building from a kit, and you get the shell assembled and can finally get on with the really fun and pretty parts of decorating. And good new, since moving the walls, I only have to make two rooms worth of flooring from scratch!

Still plugging away at my tree stand.....  :construction:   Doing painting of fences during my lunch breaks this week and looking forward to a work-blitz weekend! (No Black Friday shopping for me!)  Hubby's co-worker has agreed to repair the actual wood piece that holds the tree - it will now be made of a hard wood, the hole drilled perfectly straight with a pvc pipe liner for added strength....the co-worker even agreed to do the grooves to re-create the "brick" look!  :cucumber:  

Still, my greatest challenge seems to be how-the-heck am I gonna do these dang lights!!??  :crazyeyes: :dunno:  Now if I could only hire an electrician...  LOL

• Like 1

LOL  Nearly gave myself a black eye last night while working on the fences for the tree stand!  :dunce:  

Each of the little spindles was meticulously secured in place with two teeny tiny nails....which were the dickens to get out of the holes!  I would remove the broken spindle and dig out the hole with an X-acto knife, and then force my needle nose pliers into the hole to wiggle it out.  At one point I had the little bugger clasped in my needle nose pliers and was trying to excerpt some force to push it out the same direction from whence it came.....when the rail suddenly gave way and in an explosion of force my hand-needle nose pliers and all- slammed into my forehead just above my right eye!  :doh: I sat for a moment, stunned.  :crazyeyes:

"Oooowwww!"  I finally muttered.

Max (my cat, who had been on the couch with me, sleeping in between my ankles) looks up at me with eyes that said " You are an idiot."

I went to the kitchen for an ice pack.  

In the spirit of doing my part to help stimulate the economy... I have purchased enough materials/accessories for not 1 but 2 mini book scenes. One for my daughter (shhh... it's a secret surprise for her) - a 1940's kitchen/baking scene, and one for me - a vintage kitchen with a lemon theme. Whoever's blog I read about Alpha Stamps, I thank you for the cause of my excitement! I'll be home all alone from right after Thanksgiving until (hopefully) right before Christmas, and I need something to keep me busy and looking forward! Here's the link to the mini books in case anyone else needs an affordable project and some holiday distraction:

http://www.alphastamps.com/p20614/Large_Faux_Book_Box/product_info.html?osCsid=1bbdd0f1ce617e6b986e755581b8ee0c

bookopen_1099med.jpg

Hope you all have something fun to work on, and that you find some time to do it!

That book box is a great idea! Your projects sound like a lot of fun! I always like to have a good project going for winter...something to do when it's cold and wet out.

Jackie! Be careful!!! I almost put an eye out doing exactly the same thing. I was trying to pull out an upholstery staple with needle nosed pliers! Gave myself a bad gash/bruise to my nose, and if I hadn't had my glasses on, could've blinded myself! I ruined an almost new pair of glasses with a large, deep scratch across one lens. Go to the hardware store and buy a widget called a tack puller. Costs about $5 and is meant to SAFELY pull out tacks, brads, nails, etc. 

• Like 1

I have painted the first two rooms of the Joseph Angel.  And i splurged and treated myself to one of the new Bespaq kitchen sets for it.

Today I'm working on the floors and stairs in the JA.

If I have time I'll probably prime the first floor of the Buckhead Townhouse and draw out my lighting plans.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016‎ ‎10‎:‎01‎:‎21‎, stickyfingers said:

Jackie! Be careful!!! I almost put an eye out doing exactly the same thing. I was trying to pull out an upholstery staple with needle nosed pliers! Gave myself a bad gash/bruise to my nose, and if I hadn't had my glasses on, could've blinded myself! I ruined an almost new pair of glasses with a large, deep scratch across one lens. Go to the hardware store and buy a widget called a tack puller. Costs about $5 and is meant to SAFELY pull out tacks, brads, nails, etc. 

I went to the hardware store on Wednesday afternoon and bought a pair of over-the-glasses goggles!  :)  Will have to look into this tack puller item next time!

AAAGGGHHHHH!!! Help me people. After 4 months of work on the yellow house, today was the day to prime. It was cool and raining this morning, but the sun came out and it warmed up this afternoon, so I went for it. One light coat of gray Krylon spray primer, and all of the previously painted areas (plastic panels) are crackled. The top layer is just wrinkled and crackled all over....*insert magic words here*

I thought the original paint was acrylic, because I was able to soften and scrape it off of the windows using rubbing alcohol. I don't know if it was the underlying paint, or if it was too cool and humid out, or just something weird with the paint/primer. I was a little nervous about spraying the plastic, as some paints can melt it, but I replaced some of the siding, and test sprayed a piece of the old siding and it was fine. It hadn't previously been painted, though. I  spray paint all the time, have sprayed all sorts of things before, and this has never happened. Never. I'm speechless.

Now what?! Call it a happy accident and just paint over it to end up with an "aged" finish? Resand the WHOLE thing?  I'm beside myself... 

I don't know, Holly...That just did not go at all like I planned. As with most things, I'll sleep on and see how I feel in the morning. I have a synthetic steel wool pad, and could give it a once over with that. Maybe that would knock down some of the crackle. I could also paint a small section on the back, just to see what it's going to look like. Did I mention before that the house will not be perfect?

On a happier note, it's no longer yellow or shiny, and that does make me feel better. I added a few gallery pics, but you can't see the wrinkling and crackling in any of them. From a distance, it does look so much better, and I'm really happy with how all of the repairs turned out.

13 hours ago, Kitten said:

I have painted the first two rooms of the Joseph Angel.  And i splurged and treated myself to one of the new Bespaq kitchen sets for it.

Today I'm working on the floors and stairs in the JA.

If I have time I'll probably prime the first floor of the Buckhead Townhouse and draw out my lighting plans.

Thank you!  I love the color you've used.

• Like 1

Oh, the poor, poor Glencroft. I am wondering if Greeneaf is going to ban me from the forum for this. They spent all that time trying to make that cottage look cute and cosy by putting in a winding staircase and a window seat and what have I done? Eliminated both of them.

I meant to only fill in a few open spaces on the house tonight and ended up doing a major revision on a house that's already been kitbashed. Since I wasn't going to do very much, I didn't bother to put a towel on my bed and by the time I was done, my bed was covered with little pieces of wood that are going to be sticking me in the fanny all night long.

Long story short, I took the window in the bedroom and moved it back. This entailed cutting off the sides and using a lot of magic words. The inside wall of the bedroom no longer has a window seat - instead, it's just a flat wall there (with a window). On the outside, I now have a ledge where I will put another small balcony and flower pots will go there. It sounds nice and looks awful.

But I now have room in that tiny bedroom to put a double bed, a nightstand, a chair, another little table and a dresser along with keeping the fireplace. Not too shabby when you figure I've taken out about 3 inches of the room to make an upper hall.

But I haven't got a clue what the roof will look like now.

And I can't even imagine what the house is going to look like when it's done. Yikes!

• Like 1

Kelly, that sounds interesting! Got any pics?

If you were doing a shingled exterior (siding) what would you use for the roof? I don't want more shingles, as I think that would be just too much in this scale. I thought of a standing seam roof, but not sure if that's the look I want. Maybe asphalt shingles? The siding shingles will be a weathered gray/brown, like aged cedar. I thought of corrugated metal, but that's not it either.

3 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

If you were doing a shingled exterior (siding) what would you use for the roof? ... Maybe asphalt shingles? The siding shingles will be a weathered gray/brown, like aged cedar.

I just Googled shingle sided house images. It appears that most have asphalt shingles on the roof in a darker, contrasting color, so your idea in that direction appears to be solid in the real world. You might think about dark gray or dark brown. Black might work well also, although it might look too new unless you age it. 

Why don't you paint some pieces of paper in possible shingle colors and tape them to the roof. It might help you decide.

5 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

...If you were doing a shingled exterior (siding) what would you use for the roof?...

On the farmhouse (Washington 2.0) I used wood shingles on the front of the second floor and sandpaper for the shingles on the roof; I also did this with the wood version of the Orchid:

farmhouse front yard.JPG medium.56d858872c42b_theUSAGeneralStore.

With the Magnolia I did go with the "tin" roof:

gallery_8_988_72865.jpg

• Like 1

Finally got back to my French Country Manor, primed walls and ceilings and then painted ceilings. I also got it wired for electricity, and got 2 coach lights lit!  

I decided to try CR2S - Creative Solutions to Scale  - for the power, thus eliminating all that Junction splice nastiness. 

large.20161127_170542.jpg.bfd6768890174e

• Like 2