What's everyone working on?

8 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Kelly, that sounds interesting! Got any pics?

I may or may not take some tomorrow. I have another disability hearing on Thursday and a ton of things to do between now and then, so I'm not sure how much attention the house will get this week. There are a lot of gaps that I need to fill in on the house and I'd like to do that first before I take any more pictures. So I'll see how things go.

I don't even want to think about the roof at this point, but I have decided I will have tall French windows in the living room (which means recutting the window openings *groan*) that look like this Lawbre window:

583b7ffbcdf72_Frenchwindow.jpg.15dda83de

I will probably have to make these windows, so they won't nearly this nice, but I'll do the best I can.

• Like 1

Welp, I didn't get as much done this weekend as I had hoped - - I had been fighting with the tree stand fence for 2 days and I think the fence won.  :/  There are two sections that the rails were broken- and rather than replace the entire rail (the whole thing of 'keeping it as original as possible'), hubby thought I should be able to simply put in new sections of rail in those spots.  Well, I just can't seem to get an accurate straight cut on any of my tools in order to get a decent joint edge! ARGH!:cry: I am ready to toss that stupid Xacto aluminum mitre box out the window!!  I think I need to buy myself one of those micro chop saws for my birthday!  

After I put aside the fence in frustration, I did get a few other little things accomplished....the doors got doorknobs and wreaths and were installed, put some faux snow on the tree for the yard, finished up the egg carton brick walkway, all of the replacement fence spindles are painted, the strip wood for the window mullions is painted and ready to cut, plus the fence posts have been patched up the best I could and painted.  Hubby had a co-worker reproduce the center tree post in a hardwood for me - now I just need to figure out how to create the looks of bricks like the original was done!?  Too bad I don't have a router.....

At any rate- I DID make SOME progress, although not as much as I had hoped.  *sigh*  Time is ticking!!

I needed a comfy child's chair for the boy's room. I looked through my stash of ugly chairs and found one of these which I ripped apart. Then I cut off the winged back and applied new fabric. It turned out exactly as planned and it is the perfect size for a small boy.

image.jpeg

• Like 7

well the Queen will not have fully painted Windows when she is turned for Christmas...but she will have lights and more Garland and other fun surprises...

I have the village out and have started my layout...I purchased shirt boxes at 99c store to change the elevations...so far Im loving it...

the tree in the middle is still in the treebag in the room of doom so I proceed with just the stand as my guide...but the tower it sits on isnt strong enough as it is so its a work in progress for today...DH be home tomorrow and he can dig for the tree bag and snowmen for their Happy return to use for 2016...6 yrs since they have joined us so I look forward to welcoming each one to its place on my great grans table and the dollhouse wall...lol so many now...

and of course while I hope to achieve all this I am packing to leave for 7 days...ssshhhh dont tell the son but his momma is packing santa hats for our Wedding funs!

it may be after we get back before Im able to post photos...

it is not just time that keeps me from doing the Queens upper Windows or widows walk(needstepladder)...I did not get the help I was told would happen if I started painting...I knew my legs would/could not handle the time nor the back the position or the eyes cuz seriously at the height it is I just cant get as close as I need...soooooo it is decided to do a house shuffle....SIGH.... the MHM is on a furniture dolly...so they will be traded...if its low I can get to it and I should be able to finish quickly...bummers:badmood:

but limitations are limitations and I wont let it keep me from it...soooo that will be fun:bangin:              

Actually enjoying assembling my Greenleaf furniture kit. Kitchen done ( minus hardware) dining room almost done. The grandfather clock side walls and bottom stand have me perplexed.  Figure it out tomorrow. I have a good set up on my computer desk. I can play runescape and build furniture. Win win. 

• Like 2

the furniture kits are easy and relaxing to do and a nice impact with a little added touches.... when I first started I had a corner desk and I would work on small stuff while I would play online ...nice memories....cant wait to see the photos...

my village is up with a string of the lights we got for the Queen...it needed  lights ...once I have my tree in place I will share photos...it has been an all day thing trying to decide how it should go but in the end I think I am HAPPY!! and thats what is important...

next yr I will be adding Greenleaf's final village to the set up(6houses) and it will be complete...

Finished wallpapering all the bay window areas of the 1/6 scale manor house, now I can add the remaining hinges to the bay windows, which also serve as openings to the house. Now that the giant house in on a rolling base I look forward to looking in from the back windows and seeing finished rooms! 

Strong work everyone! Nutti, I know what you mean about painting. Painting this yellow house all assembled is a bit of a bear! I had to do a lot of contorting to get it done. I did figure out that I could paint the back side of the porch posts by reaching through the inside of the house through the doorway. Yikes! Going to need some ibuprofen for this one! Sable, love that little chair!

I had a productive day! Got the bathroom pieces and the fridge for the barn spray painted, and got the first coat of paint on the yellow house! Very, very happy with how it's turning out! There's still so much to do on that house, and I have other projects that need finishing first, but want it in the house by winter. Would love to do another coat of paint tomorrow, but I think I have too many chores. Maybe just for an hour? It's supposed to be cold and raining all weekend, so don't really want to be in the garage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thresadep said:

I can play runescape and build furniture. Win win. 

Ah, Runescape. My first MMO. :D I switched to Lord of the Rings Online 6 years ago and that takes up more time than minis lately. It's my painkiller. I'll have to get busy soon though as I have the project for the meeting next Monday and still have to shrink my LOVE shelves to 1:48 scale and make 10 or so kits. Shouldn't be too hard... :eekout:

16 hours ago, LadyGunn said:

Ah, Runescape. My first MMO. :D I switched to Lord of the Rings Online 6 years ago and that takes up more time than minis lately. It's my painkiller. I'll have to get busy soon though as I have the project for the meeting next Monday and still have to shrink my LOVE shelves to 1:48 scale and make 10 or so kits. Shouldn't be too hard... :eekout:

Runescape is my "escape"  I may look into lord of the rings. 

• Like 1

The Queen is dressed for the holidays....

the lights worked so perfectly for this project...added perk of the lights...has built in auto timer...on 6 hours off 18....besides 3 settings....on...blink...fade....

now Im off....had a few mins while doing morning ritual so I wanted to share my HAPPY!!

hoping to have my real house and tree decorated before I leave on my trip...want NO boxes besides wrapping to be waiting for me when I get home 7 days before Christmas!

hugggssss my "mini" peeps!:groan:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nuttiwebgal said:

The Queen is dressed for the holidays....

the lights worked so perfectly for this project...added perk of the lights...has built in auto timer...on 6 hours off 18....besides 3 settings....on...blink...fade....

now Im off....had a few mins while doing morning ritual so I wanted to share my HAPPY!!

hoping to have my real house and tree decorated before I leave on my trip...want NO boxes besides wrapping to be waiting for me when I get home 7 days before Christmas!

hugggssss my "mini" peeps!:groan:

It is gorgeous!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mesp2k said:

Cleaned my basement workshop to the point where I can actually see the floor!

manSweepingFloorAnimated_1317678443_flou

*sigh*  I need to do that, perhaps once Brimble's is done...

Nutti, your queen is totally awesome!

• Like 1

On 12/2/2016, 5:06:46, havanaholly said:

*sigh*  I need to do that, perhaps once Brimble's is done...

Nutti, your queen is totally awesome!

Need to clean mine too. Lol. Really want to get it organized too. I have a lot of left over wood from my last build.  Not sure how to store it. Especially the long strips of wood.  I'll see what's online later.when I get in mood to organize. 

1 hour ago, thresadep said:

Need to clean mine too. Lol. Really want to get it organized too. I have a lot of left over wood from my last build.  Not sure how to store it. Especially the long strips of wood.  I'll see what's online later.when I get in mood to organize. 

Funny, I organized all my of my wood today.  I have a great system.  The box is the tool box I made at the local high school's adult shop class.  Then I took wrapping paper rolls and glued them down so they stand up in the box. It holds all of my strip wood.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks great, Sable!  I do a similar thing....mine are in an old milk crate.  Works pretty well!

At this point of my tree stand project- I am exhausted!  Physically and mentally. I could just kick my 'past' self for not working on this project on the evenings "I just don't feel like it."    The client is coming tomorrow (Wed) around noon for pick-up and that dang fence is still in pieces!  ugh. :ermm:  I had a nice long weekend to work on the project....but you know how life gets in the way: I had promised my daughter weeks ago that I would help her church group make wreaths on Saturday morning, then Sunday afternoon we visited my dad and then hubby and I watched a movie...and then when I was ready to get back to work - we got company!! :doh:

So anyway, I will be going out at lunch today to get more dowel rods to finish up the new fence section.  I was fighting with one section for so long, and finally around 11:30pm one nite I just said I give up!!  I ripped it apart to start over!  The other day I found strip wood the right size for the rails and just went forward with creating an entirely new piece. Thankfully hubby stepped in and helped me drill the holes....I was terrible at it!

On the positive side- The windows are finished- and cute! And I am very happy with how the chimney turned out!  Will post pics of that later this week.

As for the lights that are supposed to be in each of the fence posts..... I bought a string of LED lights and nuts around with it for awhile, but just couldn't figure it out -I don't have the knowledge on how to do such a thing.  I am NOT an electrician!  I made that remark to the client when I was texting him about pick up plans, and his response was that his dad was a retired electrician!  He's hired!  :cucumber:   I figure why should I mangle things up when this guy has a perfectly good resource to do the job correctly!?  :)  Works for me!!  One less headache!

So.....on to more fence painting....

• Like 1

I started the Model Homes Cape May house this evening!  I had originally decided to work on another of my kits after the Victoriana.  But this one seemed to speak to me more.  I have some upgrade ideas (window, doors, staircase), but will basically following the build as is.  I am excited to get busy on it as I remember this one when I first started in the hobby at age 15 and couldn't afford the kit!

I have to tell you about this....LOL  I've been spending late evenings this past week trying to get this Christmas Putz House tree stand finished for the client, and for a couple of the projects I needed to enlist the help of cabinet-installer hubby.  So one of the long fence pieces was broken, and because I thought I could repair it (try to keep everything as original as possible) rather that Option #2 of creating an entirely new piece....which meant hubby cutting it at work because of it's extra-long length...add in that I am running out of time....

OK, so I glued it.  Then I needed to replace one of the spindles which caused the thing to snap at the repaired joint.  It is 9pm the nite before pick-up and I am pretty much screwed.  No time to make a replacement now.  No worries, hubby says.  He has a 'special glue putty' that hardens like steel. OK, so I send him into the other room to work on it. His idea is to glue a small piece of strip wood on either side of the joint to strengthen the hold. Sure. Fine.  After a bit I hear him muttering and mumbling. I go in and he has multiple sized clamps all over this thing and his fingers are covered in goo.  You're gonna need to let this sit overnite he tells me.

At about midnight as I am cleaning up and considering going to bed, I go to check out how his patch is working.....only to find the most elementary, crude, and blob of a mess where I am expecting the neat little patch to be! :cry:  Really?  This is from the same man that installs with meticulous perfection all manner of intricate mouldings in high-end kitchens?  :crazyeyes:  And to boot, he's managed to break three more of the spindles!  I did have to laugh then, bless him for trying, and remind myself never to ask him to help me glue anything again! 

As I write I could kick myself for not taking a "before" pic!  LOL   I cleaned up the mess, spackled, sanded and painted til it looked reasonably presentable.  When the client came to pick it up I told him the story, but really hated that I had simply not replaced the piece in the first place.  Lesson learned. The hard way. 

Too cold to paint on the yellow house, and a real house project has just been started due to a small disaster, so....Oh, and computer issues this morning, so what else to do but start another build! Crazy, right? It's a gift, and I've given myself a time limit to finish, so off I go. This project is going to have lots of little custom bits=a million mini projects. I got the shell pieces sanded and dry fitted after some door and window changes, did some customizing on some ready-made pieces and started making some things from scratch. It's a one room build, so not a big project, but very specific finishing on the whole thing.     

1 hour ago, stickyfingers said:

so what else to do but start another build! Crazy, right?  

Linda, I like the way you think. When things get tough, miniaturists grab the glue, eh?

• Like 1