What's everyone working on?

I am happy to report that the Goo Gone worked wonders on the miserable masking tape. I put some on a sponge, dabbed the residue on the sticky and tape, then with a blunt tool gently scraped off the last of the tape. Wiped it down with a paper towel and you would never know there had been a problem.  

I just want to hurry up and finish this house and seem to keep hitting road blocks!  I inserted the window pane in the Dutch door I'm using, and the top cross-piece, which slides into the upper portion of the door, was apparently a silly millimeter too big!  It fit, but when I closed the door, it started to split the hinged side of the door. I caught it before it completely split, but I am irritated with it now! And I know my granddaughter is going to want to use the door a lot - in and out with her dolls!  I laboriously sanded and filed it down until it fits almost loosely and there is no more strain on the hinge. I have smeared Elmer's glue on the split part, which will hopefully keep it from breaking more. :( 

Great work everyone!

Heidi, that wallpaper with the fireplace and wainscot is really, really pretty!

CJ- hooray! Good to hear that you got that tape residue off. Too bad about the door. I had to set aside the kitchen cabinets for the barn, because I had the same problem. After al of that work building the cabinets, I really wanted working doors, but they would split after hinging. I'm going to try one more time, and if I can't make it work, everything is getting glued in.

I have a week off, and the weather is supposed to be decent, so hoping to get the yellow house exterior painting done, working on some barn projects, and fiddling with the Orchid. Oh, and I'll get to glue in the planks for the art studio build. I'm using contact cement, and a lot of it, so it's an outside project for sure.  

After a bit of hiatus due to too much work-related stuff really I finally got some mini-ing time in today and tok out the paperclay adding some exteriör brick on My "steampunk"-inspired house. Now to await the drying phase.... hoppfully some great crackling Will occur too.

hugs

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Anna, how much of a Christmas "break" do Swedish schools get?  Over here it can be as much as two weeks.

End of school year was the 22nd and they Will start back again the 10th of January. 

Hugs

OK, so the yellow house will need a FOURTH coat of paint...at least on some areas. Note to self-don't use the gray primer on the whole thing next time. I finally moved the house inside last night, and my husband said "I don't know why you didn't bring it in sooner. Seems like it would have been easier." Ha! Oh, and we've had record-breaking warm and humid temps, which lifted the paper in a lot of areas of the house I thought I was finished with. Spent some time last night peeling paper. Again. Tell me again why I'm bothering with this house...

Well...yes. When I finished that coat of paint today, stood back and saw the house with the light coming through the windows, I did get a little giddy. I really should have done all of that painting in the house, as the lighting made such a huge difference. Next step is to paint the porch floor and start working on some exterior trims. I got an HBS gift certificate for Christmas, so going to order some supplies tonight.  

OK, seriously- this dollhouse is teaching me that things rarely go as planned. And, I'm learning to lower my expectations, and to just let go of any ideas of perfection that I may have.

Finished the last coat of paint yesterday, started planning trims today, but discovered that there are so many areas that are crooked, mismatched, uneven, etc, that I think some of the trims I planned will actually make it look worse. So, good news! No sanding and painting yards and yards of strip wood! Bad news- I had to go over a lot of little cracks and gaps with caulk (places that I had planned to cover with wood), and will be doing extensive touch up work now. Should've filled in all those gaps the first time. Bah!  

At the end of the day, though, the house is looking just SO much better. I got the porch and balcony painted, and I'm happy with how the color is working out. I picked up two cans of "oops" paint for almost nothing-the porch floor is a gray/putty color and the color for the front door is a lovely grayed-down navy.

And what am I doing this week?  Why I am doing my Christmas Happy Dance, of course!! :clap::cucumber:   Santa brought me a Micro Mark mini chop saw!!   Woo hoo!  All I can say is: Why didn't I get one a LONG time ago!?! :dunce:    I LOVE this thing!!!!

• Like 3

On 12/27/2016, 12:17:27, stickyfingers said:

At the end of the day, though, the house is looking just SO much better. 

And that's what it's all about! Go with the flow (to resurrect a dated saying) and let the house guide you. It will end up looking wonderful. :) 

Thanks, Kathie! It's like any other build, some days everything just works and it's beautiful and you couldn't be happier. Other days, the easiest thing would be to drag it to the curb.

Gaps and cracks and such have been caulked and painted, started replacing base floor and walls that surrendered to the humidity, a few trims are painted and ready to attach. Planning out floors and ceilings. The house is taking on a calm, elegant vibe that I really like.  

I've been changing so much about my Brimble's I had to spend some time with the instructions and the schematics sheet again to remind myself what I still was going to use, and what I wasn't.  I really wish sometimes these kits wouldn't be so picky about how they want to look!  I remade the front doors so they look nothing like the kit version.

• Like 2

hey guys! had soooo much going on since before Halloween I didnt get to do the 3rd and last Greenleaf Village....that bummed me out sooo much I went shopping on Amazon and guess what I found? a Duracraft village with...wait for it...millhouse with water wheel....and oooooo I could not leave it sitting there in a warehouse feeling unwanted...so it is now being shipped to me....I do not know if I will get all 12 little houses done in time for Christmas but there will be some new house additions in 2017...this year I added several items from K-mart and wal-mart and Michaels and lights

had my son help me turn the Queen on Christmas eve and the few time Ive been out and returned it sure was a gorgeous beacon in the night...

the cruise made my hip issues come front and center landing me in the er last friday...I am on anti inflammatories and pain pills I am now more mobile but the pain level I was living with moved up 2 notches and even after a week Im not feeling like time to ween myself of either med...so thats bummin me....

2017 I plan on getting some of my projects in a more completed status and get rid of albie(Marquam Hill Mansion)...we are done messing with it...

that is first to do on my 2017 list take photos and put it on Craigslist....

cant wait to see what everyone else does in 2017! cya next yr!:cheers:

Hey Nutti!!!! Nice to hear from you and I'm sorry you're experiencing pain like that.

I ended up at the ophthalmologist because of a huge floater practically in line with my sight in my left eyeball. I was assured there was nothing wrong, but boy, is it annoying.

Meantime, I've done a little (very little) work on the Glencroft. I finally decided it would be an English cottage after all. I have furniture for the English cottage that I want to use (that translates to 'get rid of') and I'm tired of collecting and not displaying. I'm keeping the center halls both upstairs and downstairs in the house because I still want that extra bedroom on the second floor, although how anyone is going to see it is beyond me. I decided to extend the bedroom after all and put a floor over where the staircase was. This means the balcony is gone (sorry, everyone). But I hope someone else takes that idea and runs with it.

I had moved the second story overhang in the bedroom back, so I've eliminated the window  seat in the bedroom and I think I'll leave that as it is. I'm just too lazy to change that back. That makes the window in the living room a bay window. Instead of making a roof for it, I may follow my original plan of putting a railing around it and making a window box out of it. Both windows on the fireplace side (bedroom and living room) have been filled in.

Tonight or next week I'm going to start putting the roof on.

I have some new pictures, but they're huge and won't upload on Greenleaf. I tried them on Photobucket last night so I could copy and paste, but Photobucket was being stubborn and wouldn't upload pics either. Later today I may try to upload the new pics to my Gallery. But there really isn't much to see at this point anyway.

36 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I ended up at the ophthalmologist because of a huge floater practically in line with my sight in my left eyeball. I was assured there was nothing wrong, but boy, is it annoying.

I get Occular Migranes with no headache. They are very annoying. Totally disrupt my vision although they are not really an eye problem more of a brain issue. They look like this (wait for it, look in the center of the screen):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AVYjbthGk2s

33 minutes ago, Sable said:

I get Occular Migranes with no headache. They are very annoying. Totally disrupt my vision although they are not really an eye problem more of a brain issue. They look like this (wait for it, look in the center of the screen):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AVYjbthGk2s

When I was working I used to get those!  Caffeine cleared them up.