What's everyone working on?

My Arthurs. Yes 2 of them, are almost done.  I posted pictures on pinterest.   I'm not sure if I will put the funky roof trim on the top.  I really am not a fan of that look.  I ended up putting little screws in a wall to hold the two sections together.  Seems to be holding. ....now back to the shingles. ...I really, really hate shingles. 

• Like 1

White washed the wood (popsicle stick) floor for the San Franciscan's dining room and it warped badly, it's currently sitting outside on the cement with 2 other house kit boxes on it and a pile of decorating magazines.. :doh:

Painted some furniture. Going to try several different tutorials for making faux marble today and hopefully start wallpapering some walls.

Tonight I sanded and primed the spackled shadowbox. It's a little shadow box. It should have taken about 20 minutes, tops, to prime it. Right? WRONG!

The spackle was a new kind for me. It was sort of wet spackle, but it really sands well. Oh,boy, does it ever sand well. I sanded and sanded and sanded and had a HUGE pile of white powder (now I know how to disguise that heroin, folks!), then I brushed out what I couldn't shake out and then I used canned air. If any newbies are reading this and thinking "Aha, canned air! Just. Don't.

When I finished cleaning my room and coughing and sneezing 30 minutes later, I wrapped up all the newspaper with the dried spackle in it and veeerry carefully, stuck it in my little round trash can.

So now I'm priming. I have a new paint, unlike any paint you've ever seen before. First of all, it cost $15, but it was supposed to be half off. I realized when I got home with it that $15 WAS half off. *headdesk* But it's in a jar, so I don't have to mess with those pesky lids.

First thing I had to do with the paint was stir it. And stir it. And stir it. And chop and chop at it. I would have taken the hand mixer to it, except I sure didn't want to clean that! This paint is so thick you wouldn't believe it. Think of semi soft butter. Not soft butter. Semi soft butter and imagine sticking a brush into that. I could have fingerpainted with this stuff. This paint didn't drip. If a piece fell off, it fell off in a chunk. I used three foam brushes. One broke. One foam came off the handle. The third finally finished the job.

So I get done with this so-called priming (which took me over an hour), and I start looking around for some more paper to put under the shadowbox while it dries. I espy some paper in my little round trash can. I yank it out. It was the paper I threw away yesterday with all the dried spackle on it that I had sanded off. Ever taken a bag of flour and flung it all over? No? You should. I can tell you right now, you haven't lived until white powder coats your room like a snowstorm.

At any rate, I'm off to reward myself for putting up with this day. Chocolate is sounding really, really good right now.

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

and then I used canned air. If any newbies are reading this and thinking "Aha, canned air! Just. Don't.

Ahahaha.. I was just thinking... ooohhh canned air... good idea...:rofl: Thanks for the warning!

So I get done with this so-called priming (which took me over an hour), and I start looking around for some more paper to put under the shadowbox while it dries. I espy some paper in my little round trash can. I yank it out. It was the paper I threw away yesterday with all the dried spackle on it that I had sanded off. Ever taken a bag of flour and flung it all over? No? You should. I can tell you right now, you haven't lived until white powder coats your room like a snowstorm.

Been there.. wrote the book.... :ermm: .. this is not a good hobby to be absent minded with.

I tried out one marble tutorial.. except I didn't have any modge podge so I decided to use spray on gloss polyurethane.. yeah.. nope!

I'm trying to salvage the piece but we shall see.

I also used no more cracks to fill the trim pieces for the SF557, they are in a terrible state... then sanded, I also have a pile of white powder at my house. Then sprayed them with prime & paint. Final coat will go on tomorrow maybe. I'm still trying to rescue my floor... I've had to pull it into a couple of pieces and am hoping I will be able to piece it back together on install. 

I also wallpapered the fireplace chimney breast and the front wall of the basement. 

Oh and I sealed, grouted and repainted the firebox bricks. If only I could get this darn marble process to work, I might actually finish something. 

Helloooooo....well we have picked up the keys to our new house and will be moving closer to Deb on the first of March....with my daughter moving to Tx in June and the son and grans do their own thing we decided to go enjoy some of the amenities of desert living....and guys....Im getting a dollhouse loft...lol....now I have to get building to fill it up!! my new niche is one of the bedrooms right off the loft....its not huge but it will do....especially with the houses and eventually my grandmothers antique glass collection in the loft area...I offered it to the hubby for a gameroom/ music room....but he turned me down....I managed to get my niche completely packed...when my friend came in to see my progress she was like WOW...where did all that stuff come from.....hahahahahahahahaha

this girl knows how to tetris those storage containers...lol... I will keep checking in...I do so love all the mini adventures!:batman:

• Like 2

Hey, I tend to put brads in my mouth when nailing dollhouses together. At least I haven't swallowed one. Yet. LOL

Kelly, stop it! I don't even want to think how this might turn out if you inhale sharply for whatever reason. :doctor: 

I have been busy the past few days with the first weekend of Carnival.  But got back to the Cape May today.  I finished up the new porch roof.  I made it like the tower roof and the new roof for my entry stoop.  I also built the two chimneys.  The kit came with solid wood  blocks, but I needed them hollow so I could insert my smoking units.  Pics to be posted soon in the gallery.  :wave:

59 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Mobile started their Mardi Gras parades last week.

Our first round of parades started the weekend of the 11th - 12th.  I rode Sunday (19th) in King Arthur.  This coming weekend is a busy one for me.  I have a wedding to attend on Friday night, and then I ride in Tucks the following Saturday.  I have Sunday to recover and then payroll on Monday (Lundi Gras) morning before leaving for the rest of the afternoon and off on Tuesday (Mardi Gras).  But back to work and regular (as much as it can be in NOLA) on Wednesday!  Whew!  I am trying to get in some work on the Cape May as much as I can during all this! :happydance:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 7:31:41, KathieB said:

Kelly, stop it! I don't even want to think how this might turn out if you inhale sharply for whatever reason. :doctor: 

I can't help it. When you need 6 nails for every one that actually gets nailed in, it makes sense to not be looking for them all the time. Besides, it's less dangerous than when I'm hammering my fingers or when I hit a nail and it goes bouncing off somewhere. Sometime soon I may try turning a TuffShed into a tiny house. If you think watching me build in miniature is nerve-wracking, wait till I start doing that! LOL

Anyhoo, last night I almost finished the second coat of primer on the shadowbox. I say almost because there wasn't enough of that awful sludgy paint to cover the whole box. All that I have left to paint is the bottom half of the box and the roof.

But I have enough on to be able to electrify and this should be an easy job. *I heard that - quit laughing*  I'm only putting one or at the most, two, lights in each little room. So tonight I'm doing a final sanding and then electrifying and tomorrow I'll be decorating, starting with the bathroom.

10 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I can't help it. When you need 6 nails for every one that actually gets nailed in, it makes sense to not be looking for them all the time. Besides, it's less dangerous than when I'm hammering my fingers or when I hit a nail and it goes bouncing off somewhere. 

Have you ever considered drilling a teensy hole as a starter for a nail? Even an indentation poked with an awl will help get the nail started. And no, it's not less dangerous than hammering your fingers or avoiding flying projectiles. Bruised fingers or pokes from flying nails are not fatal. Swallowing a nail can be extremely dangerous, even fatal. Get those nails out of your mouth, dear. Mother's worrying about you! 

• Like 1

I just finished the Orchid (my first dollhouse). I found two really great deals for dollhouse kits-- The Beacon Hill and Arrow 'Royal Dream.' I don't think I'm up to buying both (unless I keep it in storage until we have more children)... which one does anyone recommend for my second project? Which one is a better quality? 

32 minutes ago, Pumpkinbuns said:

I just finished the Orchid (my first dollhouse). I found two really great deals for dollhouse kits-- The Beacon Hill and Arrow 'Royal Dream.' I don't think I'm up to buying both (unless I keep it in storage until we have more children)... which one does anyone recommend for my second project? Which one is a better quality? 

You really do not have to build dollhouses just for children, it's perfectly OK to build them for yourself.

15 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

You really do not have to build dollhouses just for children, it's perfectly OK to build them for yourself.

I know :) But I get more joy out of it when making it for my kids. I don't want them for myself. Have you made either of these dollhouses before?

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

Have you ever considered drilling a teensy hole as a starter for a nail? Even an indentation poked with an awl will help get the nail started. And no, it's not less dangerous than hammering your fingers or avoiding flying projectiles. Bruised fingers or pokes from flying nails are not fatal. Swallowing a nail can be extremely dangerous, even fatal. Get those nails out of your mouth, dear. Mother's worrying about you! 

I'm not that smart. But it's OK - I'm through nailing for a good long while now. But I do have to go out and use the jigsaw on Saturday. LOL

Actually, I am probably safer using a jigsaw than anything else. I'm scared of it and that's a good thing.

oooo Kelly you make your life your own personal adventure dont you!!!  I knew there was a reason I liked you...lol....I am constantly telling people around me...if its easy or convenient you can be dern sure I will be doing the OPPOSITE! not on purpose because it just works out that way...I blame the brain...it cant conceive any other way to do things till the DUH moment someone points it out...lol....I love the misadventures of your miniature houses....always brings to mind something Ive done over the yrs...you go girl! and build a tiny house?? what a great idea for you! because you can build it as you like and can play with the layout you are sure to have more space for yourself and your projects...especially if you put your new homes layout conducive to creating...sounds like JUST the project for you!

one week from today and we are outa here and I will be setting up the new niche!

keep those mini adventures coming...Im still watching youuuuu!:batman: lil creepy huh?:doh:

Having fun, doing whatever posp to mind, ie going with the mini-craze flow and what the muse keeps throwing at me. SOmetime I might have to learn to duck for an idea...

Been fiddling with the fimo clays again, this time shrimps which turned into a shrimp sandwich: (somehow also ended up with over 100 loose ones too:dunno: )

large.shrimps.jpg.80f691aa33df475f076d3e

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anna said:

Having fun, doing whatever posp to mind, ie going with the mini-craze flow and what the muse keeps throwing at me. SOmetime I might have to learn to duck for an idea...

Been fiddling with the fimo clays again, this time shrimps which turned into a shrimp sandwich: (somehow also ended up with over 100 loose ones too:dunno: )

Oooh ... I see jambalaya and shrimp etoufée on the horizon!  Yum! thumbnail-2.jpg

picJNsBBx.jpg

• Like 2

Oh that shrimp looks so good!

Nutti, trust me, you wouldn't want my adventurous life. The reason I'm contemplating building a tiny house is because if I ever get my disability approved, they will owe me back for almost 4 years. That should be a good chunk of money and I'd like to buy some land with it. However, it won't be enough to buy both land and a house, so if I buy the land first, I plan to camp out on it until I can afford a little house.

And if I'm as handy at that as I am in everything else, God help me.

I finally did the electrifying today on the shadowbox. Cheezus! I got the whole thing done and tested it, but one part wasn't lighting. I found out I had skipped a connection. I put one brad in the wrong place (DOOFUS - THE TAPE IS COLOR CODED FOR A REASON!). I put the junction splice in upside down. I bent two pins on the the eyelet putter in thingy. I stuck myself both with the pins and the tester. The house is now blooded (those little suckers are sharp!). I lost three eyelets which are probably in my bed right now, waiting to stab me tonight. And the worst of it all is, I only had to make six connections.

I was going to start decorating, but I'm going to get something to eat and nurse my wounds instead.

• Like 1