What's everyone working on?

OK! We have a name for the shadowbox. It's called Shoebox Cottage, because with the four rooms, it's about as big as two shoeboxes. And I even got around to doing some decorating in it. I found out that small as it is, I still need two sheets of paper to decorate each room. So only two walls of the bedroom are done until  more paper can be ordered and I need to order the wallpaper for the kitchen. The bedroom floor is cut and ready to be stained and varnished. I have three ceiling papers cut and ready to go, too, and the living room wallpaper is ready to be pasted. The bathroom - oh, Lord, the bathroom.

Lisa had only one - ONE - piece of beautiful black wallpaper with flowers on it that she graciously gave me (probably to shut me up about it LOL). I went to cut it up for the Glencroft bathroom and there wasn't enough to paper the room. So I recut the wallpaper (don't ask) and cut it again. At this point, I had ruined the wallpaper but just on a whim, I decided to save the pieces and on Wednesday night I took all 20 something of those pieces out and tried to put them together like a jigsaw puzzle (since I'm just wallpapering under the roof, one sheet is plenty for that). I finally got the pieces taped together and then cut out the pieces I needed for the Shoebox bathroom. Are you still with me? LOL

Anyway, no matter how hard I tried, I could still see where I joined the paper. Finally I took it apart and this time, I colored the edges with a black magic marker. You can still see the lines where I joined the paper, but you have to look really, really hard. So I call this a success.

On Sunday, I'll bring the Shoebox to Lisa's start putting some of the wallpaper in, and then I can finally take some pics. YAY!

I haven't been active on here in a long while, but have been trying to read and keep up with everybody's progress. Of late I've been busy working on my real life house(spackling walls, sanding, and thankfully painting them a much more soothing color). If I could go back some 20 some years and tell my teenage self to stay away from the push pins I would in a heartbeat! lol

Anyways, this has allowed me to also do some serious purging and cleaning up of my personal indoor space, which has allowed me to set up a whole new mini-ing area indoors. This way I won't be battling with the wood burning stove in the shop during the winters... if you could see the current burn scars on my hands you'd understand my joy in this. None the less, am looking forward to getting back to mini-ing here soon, and until then enjoying seeing everyone's current projects!

I am kicking myself. When I got the shadowbox, the walls were warped and the structure leaned when it was put together. I should have let the little house lean. I could have called it Crooked Cottage and the warped walls would have made it seem so authentic. I could have leaned the chimney, too. *grumble, grumble, grumble*

Anyway, the living room, bedroom, bathroom, and ceiling wallpaper is in. Now I just need to order the tile for the bathroom, get the molding and baseboard, and try to figure out what to do with the kitchen. I have those Greenleaf tiles that Lisa gave me. Since the kitchen wallpaper is going to be that Wild Strawberry (so I can place all my strawberry themed accouterments), I think I'll take the tiles, cut the corners off and paint the tiles white. Then I'll paint the corners all red and put it all back together for a floor. But that means buying paint, alongside the stain and varnish I also need for the bedroom floor, plus a carpet for the living room - I thought I had all this stuff! Since I don't, I better look to see what's taking up so much room in my miniatures box!

I now have 2 boxes of stuff I want to get rid of!

• Like 1

very likely last time I will be in for a lookieloo for awhile...the move is happening and as of Sunday I will be in our new digs without internet...its the ONE thing not able to do over the phone...ooo wells...plenty of time to set up my niche...

things have moved around the house since we are getting all lower level tiled...no more guitar room in the Den for Dean...it will be my niche and he goes to the room next to the loft which instead of a dollhouse loft is now the lounge...soon to have ping pong table..hula hoops and my rebounder....just tooo big not to utilise with the grans....the dollhouses are getting the sunny room next to the master....so nannie can close the door and not SHARE her toys...it will also serve as an adult guest room...I have been packing but we are no where near ready to load the Uhaul tomorrow....but we will get er done....looking forward to all they eye candy when I return...cya on the flip side:hippi:

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, nuttiwebgal said:

very likely last time I will be in for a lookieloo for awhile...the move is happening and as of Sunday I will be in our new digs without internet...its the ONE thing not able to do over the phone...ooo wells...plenty of time to set up my niche...

things have moved around the house since we are getting all lower level tiled...no more guitar room in the Den for Dean...it will be my niche and he goes to the room next to the loft which instead of a dollhouse loft is now the lounge...soon to have ping pong table..hula hoops and my rebounder....just tooo big not to utilise with the grans....the dollhouses are getting the sunny room next to the master....so nannie can close the door and not SHARE her toys...it will also serve as an adult guest room...I have been packing but we are no where near ready to load the Uhaul tomorrow....but we will get er done....looking forward to all they eye candy when I return...cya on the flip side:hippi:

Good luck. You will be missed.

Hope the move goes well for you, Nutti!  :wave:  see ya soon!

As for my recent accomplishments.... well, other than having a wonderful visit with my son and DIL in Orlando (and visiting Ron's!) I haven't accomplished much.  :(   Still fiddling with the stairs for the Colonial, and now working on fixing the fireplace and a hutch with a broken base.  After my last fiasco with loading photos, I am a little skittish at trying it again....but promise to take some pics soon!   I had wanted to have this house finished LONG ago, and am getting bored with it and ready to move on to my next client house.  *sigh*

A few months ago it was requested that I go to a former club member's home to pick up some items she was donating to the club.  Emily left the club in 1998.  She is turning 99 years old this week. One of the loveliest persons I've ever met!  Anyway, while at her home she showed me a gazebo which she had made many years ago. This morning I took a chance and called her to ask if I could borrow it for our village which will be displayed at our show next Saturday. She was so honored that I had made the request and graciously lent it to me. I'm currently trying to add a garden around it, so it is still in a dry fit stage. I think it needs pink instead of the purple flowers.

image.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Sable said:

A few months ago it was requested that I go to a former club member's home to pick up some items she was donating to the club.  Emily left the club in 1998.  She is turning 99 years old this week. One of the loveliest persons I've ever met!  Anyway, while at her home she showed me a gazebo which she had made many years ago. This morning I took a chance and called her to ask if I could borrow it for our village which will be displayed at our show next Saturday. She was so honored that I had made the request and graciously lent it to me. I'm currently trying to add a garden around it, so it is still in a dry fit stage. I think it needs pink instead of the purple flowers.

image.jpeg

Pink flowers with that blue floor & cushions.

12 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Pink flowers with that blue floor & cushions.

I think you're right, Holly. Off to Micheals tomorrow. I've spent a fortune on this show. 

The brick sidewalk is bothering me, also. Ideas?

3 hours ago, Sable said:

I think you're right, Holly. Off to Micheals tomorrow. I've spent a fortune on this show. 

The brick sidewalk is bothering me, also. Ideas?

I Think I would go with slate as a walkway leading up to this gorgeous gazebo. 

4 hours ago, Anna said:

I Think I would go with slate as a walkway leading up to this gorgeous gazebo. 

...using 0000 lack wet-to-dry sandpaper, which I have found at boat supply stores like West Marine.

• Like 1

The gazebo is lovely, even with the purple flowers. What about stepping stones rather than a formal walkway? I feel it needs more grass than paving to enhance its lovely ambience.

Today, I have hopes on just working on mini house issues, and not painting or spackeling in real life. lol In the Plum Pudding that I'm rehabbing, I've had the idea of a more modern twist to one of the walls for the living area, so am hunkering down to apply my background stain, and then go ahead and seal it up with some polycrylic so I can get it installed and finish up my tile paper for the kitchen on the back side. This has become a house of using up random bits and pieces for me that I've not used elsewhere, as well as very simply trying out some of the techniques I've loved seeing in real life and seeing if I could do similar in a lilliputian type way.

I think when I got this house, and it was painted exactly like what you see on the Real Good Toys site of that lavender color scheme with a few accent colors that it made me cringe... not so much b/c the color scheme was bad, it's just I don't like having something looking exactly like an example shown. Now the exterior has siding applied as opposed to the smooth plywood, it has a lovely almost mint green color with a grey accent to the porches, and asphalt shingles applied in two colors. I like where the house is going, and I've yet to see the finish line -- this is very much one that is letting me know what it likes as we go along!  :construction: The kitchen right now could easily go into an old-fashioned type setting, but as it stands I think the entire house is leaning towards more modern -- especially with my accent wall for the living room. Definitely proving interesting!

3 hours ago, Anna said:

Been having fun with adding clay to the base for the Steampunk house.

Anna - looks so cool! 

Kelli - I've done the same, trying out new techniques and its very satisfying - show pics when you can.

• Like 1