What's everyone working on?

I amlooking into finding water soluble stains, I have had these Delta Ceramcoat liquid stain bottles for ever and ever as it seems but they are starting to run out and I am not able to locate them over here anymore. Often i just thin craft paint but that isn't always a good option when it comes to staining a project over time as the hugs can tend to differ as the mixtures are different. 

So Any suggestions on what to search for? 

Hugs

8 hours ago, Anna said:

I amlooking into finding water soluble stains, I have had these Delta Ceramcoat liquid stain bottles for ever and ever as it seems but they are starting to run out and I am not able to locate them over here anymore. Often i just thin craft paint but that isn't always a good option when it comes to staining a project over time as the hugs can tend to differ as the mixtures are different. 

So Any suggestions on what to search for? 

Hugs

I have the Americana Gel stains--"

Americana Gel Stains are perfect for producing antiqued or stained finishes on wood or other hard surfaces. Their thick and creamy consistency makes it easy to work without making a mess, and the water-based formula eliminates the fumes of typical oil-based products.

They are also soap and water clean up

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jbresr said:

Americana Gel Stains are perfect for producing antiqued or stained finishes on wood or other hard surfaces. Their thick and creamy consistency makes it easy to work without making a mess, and the water-based formula eliminates the fumes of typical oil-based products.

Ah, but Anna needs them to be available in Sweden...  Or else come visit me and we'll hit Hobby Lobby & Michael's & Jo-Ann's...

• Like 1

I haven't done much on my French Country, as my new job still has me worn out at the end of the day and end of the week. I work from home 2 days a week, and the Chateau i have sitting in my home office was calling to me after lunch yesterday. I started to remove quoins yesterday and completed those and remove all the window frame trim today. I'm not sure I will be able to remove the 2 'bay' windows, so I may have to settle on taping them so that I can repaint the exterior. I'm thinking a dark smokey grey. 

Time to start sanding, and looking for the right paint. 

large.RemovedQuoins.jpg.4206ceff82cc94a7

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jbresr said:

sounds like a perfect match with me, and if they are water rinsed that means I could purchase online wherever.... Yay and Thank you for the suggestion, I am off scouting.

Hugs

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Ah, but Anna needs them to be available in Sweden...  Or else come visit me and we'll hit Hobby Lobby & Michael's & Jo-Ann's...

True, or being able to track down someone over EU that. Might carry them.  But it would be ooooodles more fun doing the shoppingg round with you Holly!

hugs

We've managed to get a whopping 10 degrees above freezing today, so after having to go into work on my day off I came home and managed to seal some scrapbook paper that I'll be hopefully using as wallpaper. While I'm waiting on that to dry out in the shop, I've been working on finishing up my shingles on my Plum Pudding rehab. First house I've used asphalt shingles on, really enjoying them and the look they produce. Hoping if I manage to wallpaper the living room I can then put my moldings in and be finished with the first floor. This is the first house I've used any of the World & Model tile papers on(kitchen)... just going to say either I need to buy new wallpaper paste, or those really do not go up so easily as I've heard. Thankfully I got mine on clearance, but still when you go through 3 sheets just to get one wall done -- not a fun day! At this point, I'm just figuring out how I can place furniture to disguise seams and moving on from that room for the time being. I may choose to completely re-paper it, but for now I'm just calling it done! lol

I spent hours and hours last night putting in the floorboards on the eaves of the Arthur bedroom and on the floor, and putting them on the ceiling of the living room and kitchen, along with the beams. I'm putting in floorboards and beams because A) I already have both those items  B) I'm trying to get rid of these floorboards and C) if I put beams in the living room, I wouldn't have to put moulding around the ceiling. I can't afford any more moulding.

I had so much more to do today and silly me, I thought I was going to get it all done. All I managed to accomplish was to put some trim on the eaves in the bedroom and paint all the wood. One coat. Oh, yeah, I made a shower for the bathroom. Yes, this is the Arthur. The bathroom is the depth of the house (I think10") x 4" wide and it's going to have a bathtub, a sink, a toilet, and a separate shower stall. I'm cheating just a little because I want to buy a Renwal bathroom set. Just waiting for the shower to dry now.

What's neat though, is even if I don't have a bathroom set for it right now, I can still wallpaper the bathroom and also the kitchen. After that there won't be much more to do until the first of the month when I can afford to get some stain and finish. Although, I suppose I could start shingling.

I also gave the house its first haircut today. Does anyone else have this problem? I shed worse than a collie and if there's anything sticky around, like tape or paint, I'm sure to find a hair in it. So last night while gluing in all that wood, I apparently glued in half my hair. Part of today was spent plucking it out of the house again. I swear, some days...

On 3/18/2017, 11:18:31, AndreaJane said:

Instead of spending $22 on an adorable cloche I saw on Etsy I spent $874 on craft supplies to make my own, not quite as adorable one.  

No THIS nearly made me spit my coffee out in laughter... I can't tell you how many times I've done this.... :roflmao:

I console myself by imagining that one day I'll make hundreds of little crafty things with all of my supplies.. open an etsy shop and recoup 1/8th of my money.... :D

On Friday, March 17, 2017 6:18:31, AndreaJane said:

Instead of spending $22 on an adorable cloche I saw on Etsy I spent $874 on craft supplies to make my own, not quite as adorable one.  

20170317-790664776.jpg

I thought that $874 was a typo. I couldn't figure out why everyone else was laughing. Apparently I'm not the brightest light in the dollhouse. :dunce:

Nice cloche, by the way. The feather really makes that hat.

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

I thought that $874 was a typo. I couldn't figure out why everyone else was laughing. Apparently I'm not the brightest light in the dollhouse. :dunce:

Nice cloche, by the way. The feather really makes that hat.

More of a **slight** exaggeration. :) 

This is the way of my people.  We are inveterate DIYers.  Just certain we can save loads of money doing it ourselves.  I have 20 drawers (not an exaggeration) of craft supplies to prove it.  

• Like 2

I wish my do-it-yourself project had come out as nice. I am so discouraged right now.

I put the wallpaper in the Arthur kitchen. What a disaster. I think this is the first time I've used Itsy Bitsy wallpaper and I am certainly learning some new things about it.

First off, I thought it was card. It sure felt like it as I was trying to test fit it on the walls. So imagine my surprise when it turned into mush after I got the paste on it. I'm wondering if I put too much wallpaper paste on the paper, but I've never had a problem like this with any other wallpaper before. The paper was so thin that I could see the tape wire going right up my wall. The worst part was the flooring. After I've put in wallpaper in the past, I've taken a slightly damp paper towel and carefully wiped the front of the paper down, making sure to get all the glue off. This time, I gently rubbed some paste off the floor and the entire pattern came away, like I'd used an eraser on it or something!

I suppose I can cover up the wall with a hutch and I can cover the floor with a rug of some kind, but is this normal for Itsy Bitsy wallpaper?

On top of all that, I had hoped not to have to use any ceiling moulding or baseboard in the kitchen and it looks like if I really want to pull the room together, I'm going to have to do that after all.

2192328xO7qVgCz.jpg

Fortunately, all the other papers going in the house are going to be MiniGraphics and I know those will come out OK.

And I finished - TA DA - the shower:

2192218B4Va8YIf.jpg

I apologize for the bad pics. I took them in a hurry and I'll have some better ones later on.

The pictures aren't showing on my monitor for some reason, just wee black boxes with white Xs in them.  Often I brush the wallpaper paste onto the wall, rather than the paper, especially if I'm going to have to maneuver it around into corners, etc.

• Like 1

The pictures aren't showing on my monitor, either. 

Kelly, have you ever tried applying the wallpaper paste to the wall and then sticking the dry paper to it? A thin coating will do it. Remove excess before applying paper. It' so much easier to handle dry paper and (for me at least) less chance of getting fingerprints of paste on the printed side. This is also a good technique when applying fabric as wall covering.

On the Itsy Bitsy wallpaper you need to spray it with a fixative before applying the wallpaper paste according to the instructions I received when I ordered mine.  I use the Krylon Workable Fixative Spray Clear Matte. I usually put on 2 coats on the top and one coat on the back of the paper.   It makes all the difference.  Sorry that happened to you.

Hi yall!!:flowers:

new house is slowly coming together... the niche is in limbo as I try to decide what goes where before we add all the boxes of stuffs...

but for now I am set up at the dining table working on the new grandbaby's roombox...hope it turns out as well as it seems to be at this point...I had to give it up yesterday after making my 2nd trip upstairs for a needle...forgot it the first time I went up...get ready to sew the lil pillows and oopsies no thread LMBO!!:doh:

soooo today I hope to remember to bring thread to the party and get those pillows made and tackle the electricals that came with the kit...

sooooo mini wonderful things happening here...love to pop in and see all the eyecandy

Kelli I try to avoid wallpaper in mini as well as real life...uuuugggg wallpaper!....

tatah till later!:batman:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

On the Itsy Bitsy wallpaper you need to spray it with a fixative before applying the wallpaper paste according to the instructions I received when I ordered mine.  I use the Krylon Workable Fixative Spray Clear Matte. I usually put on 2 coats on the top and one coat on the back of the paper.   It makes all the difference.  Sorry that happened to you.

Thank you, Colleen. I didn't receive any instructions with the paper and that would have helped a lot knowing that. But...time to move on, I guess. And I apologize to everyone for the pictures not being there. I don't know what happened but at this point, Greenleaf has defaulted to a white page again with everything spread out and it's usually very difficult just to reply when it's in this format and I don't even want to try loading some more pics right now. This happens once in a while, so when the site has gone back to normal for me (I don't know if it's the site, the internet, Comcast, or my computer), I'll post more and better pictures. Trust me, those were pretty bad pics anyway.

Meantime, tonight I'm going to work on the shower, the bathroom, and the bedroom. I'm ignoring the kitchen for now and to add, boy, that kitchen sure is pink. I think that wallpaper would have done better in the bathroom after all, but it's too late now. I may take that wallpaper out and go with something else, or if I keep it, once I get a white sink, stove, fridge, hutch, table and chairs in there, it might mitigate all that pink. As it is, both the living room and kitchen ceilings were done the same but there's so much pink in the kitchen, it makes the kitchen ceiling look darker.

Oh, and I've always put the wallpaper paste on the paper. Putting it on the wall is fine for the first sheet, but when I tried to put it on the wall for the second sheet, then I got wallpaper paste all over the first sheet of wallpaper. Well, heck, when did I ever give the impression here I was graceful and ballerina-like? To let you all know how uncoordinated I really am, a cop friend gave me a drunk test one time just for fun and not only could I not walk with one foot in front of the other, I also kept falling over when I had to stand on one leg and count. And I was cold stone sober. I've never seen a cop laugh so hard (he also told all the other cops who used to come in my store, so I got razzed about it forever).

Nutti, I'm so glad you're settling in the new house! I only want to move one more time in my life and after that, the final move better either be to the nursing home or the graveyard!

After 4 1/2 hours, I am willing to call it a night. The only thing I got done was some wallpapering on the shower and I got the bathroom wallpapered. The bedroom will have to wait till tomorrow.

It was the shower that gave me the most fits and I still have some work to do on it. Here's the shower (behind it you can see the window fill-in I punched out trying to make the connection and the fix I had to do):

shower.jpg.f415fc69349bf15c4c80cbd1d74e4

The shower will go in front of the window in the bathroom (my little people are exhibitionists) and the sink will go against the back. I would have filled in that window, but that's really going to be the only way anyone will be able to see the shower.

You will notice the shower has a curved base. That was my bright idea, one I'm heartily regretting right now. What I should have done was lay down the floor with a cutout for the shower, so I could run the tapewire up the back for the light over the sink. After trying forever to get the paper cut correctly for the base on the inside (which would have been no problem for a square base), there was no way I was gonna do that. So I cut the floor and the shower goes on the floor that is already attached. Problem: The floor likewise had to lay over the tapewire for the sink light. It was a round robin sort of thing. If I made a cutout for the shower, I could run the tapewire up the back and then paper the floor. If I wanted to paper the floor first, then I covered up the tapewire. My solution?

tapewire.jpg.3deffb8f5ad9b75ab0e631b9698

I positioned the shower where I wanted it and marked the wallpaper. Then I cut a slit in the wallpaper and brought the tapewire up through it. When the shower is done tomorrow and ready to be permanently put in the bathroom, I'll finish running the tapewire up the back of the shower and then wallpaper over it.

So here is the bathroom:

bathroom.jpg.aee5e1ee20adf15621211bb5a9f[

It's actually very light without the yellowish-orange cast the camera throws. In fact, it's so light and such a pretty pink, I do think I'll take out the kitchen wallpaper and put something else in there.

The tub will go against the back, the shower will face the tub and be up against the window, the sink will go up against the back of the shower and the toilet will go across from the sink on the other side of the room by the doorway. Basically, the shower divides te room and gives me an extra wall to put the sink against.

It's almost 3am and I want to finish the last part of the shower tonight, so I'll see everyone tomorrow!

Thank you, Holly and Jackie. There's only one problem. When I put the shower against the wall, there's a gap!:doh: You know, I spend more time figuring out how to fix the problems I make for myself than I do creating them.

Anyway, here's a better pic of the bathroom - this is truer to the colors. Even though this is in the daylight, I still have to take pics with a flash - my camera refuses to take any picture without a flash. Yes, I still need a new camera.

arthurbathroom.jpg.265706cff72290426a838

And here is the kitchen. Unfortunately, this is also very true to its color. Yes, it's that pink!

arthurkitchen.jpg.ef3a79f036675cae50e84d

So what do you guys think - keep it or ditch it?

On 3/17/2017, 6:18:31, AndreaJane said:

20170317-790664776.jpg

I so get this. I have finally (finally!) started rationalizing etsy purchases by telling myself the tools would cost more than if I just bought this tiny thing and supported a fellow miniaturist's superior art. Finally. But...your hat is ADORABLE! And chic. So if you make 100 and sell them for $22, you could rake it in! lol!

33 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Thank you, Holly and Jackie. There's only one problem. When I put the shower against the wall, there's a gap!:doh: You know, I spend more time figuring out how to fix the problems I make for myself than I do creating them.

Anyway, here's a better pic of the bathroom - this is truer to the colors. Even though this is in the daylight, I still have to take pics with a flash - my camera refuses to take any picture without a flash. Yes, I still need a new camera.

arthurbathroom.jpg.265706cff72290426a838

And here is the kitchen. Unfortunately, this is also very true to its color. Yes, it's that pink!

arthurkitchen.jpg.ef3a79f036675cae50e84d

So what do you guys think - keep it or ditch it?

Well I like the pink kitchen. It is a small kitchen, so why not go bold and make it pink?...you can have fun with all the cake plates and cute accessories...what is your theme? Obviously pink plays a role. Well I like it. I'd have frilly fluted cake plates, white painted floral breadboxes, teapots, biscuit boxes, pink hydrangeas near the sink, cakes and tarts and boxes of tea. I guess i'd go little-old-lady crazy with it.

In fact, now I want a pink kitchen. 

• Like 1