What's everyone working on?

2 hours ago, MaryBethD said:

I'm working on an old RGB Mountain View Cottage kit that I got for Christmas. (Yes, I found it on ebay and sent my husband the link as a "hint.") This is my very first dollhouse and I totally love working on it! Right now I'm shingling the gazebo roof panels. I can't wait to get those up! The kit came with a chimney that's just a block of wood. In the kit pictures, it shows it painted. I feel like I should brick it but I'm not quite sure how to do that. Are there teeny tiny bricks out there to buy for such a small space or should I use sheets of bricks like I've seen for exteriors? Or am I better off just painting it dark brown to match the shutters and being done with it?! Just found this site earlier in the week and I've really enjoyed reading posts. :-)

Hi MaryBeth - I love that house and the colors you are choosing for it!

This is my favorite way to brick - and it's ecconomical, too!

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/cutting-egg-carton-bricks-plus

Good luck and have fun!

Jodi

1 hour ago, jbnmini said:

I got sidetracked today :p and made this:

It's a "mini" of a different scale... baby doll scale!  :)  I am fixing up an old doll crib for my soon-to-be granddaughter and thought it needed a new blanket and pillow case.

This is completely adorable and well done, Jackie! Love it!

39 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Hi MaryBeth - I love that house and the colors you are choosing for it!

This is my favorite way to brick - and it's ecconomical, too!

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/cutting-egg-carton-bricks-plus

Good luck and have fun!

Jodi

Your brickwork is amazing! Thanks for sharing your tutorial!!

I have been on he lookout for a chef apperal outfit/pattern for a while and I stumbled upon this pattern today and were wondering if anyone has used Any of these patterns? Why I ask is that it costs three Times the item itself to have it shipped over here and, well if it is a good pattern it might be worth it...

large.IMG_0335.PNG.f4bd6edb5ef1f391a4c8e

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Is that our own Sherri Colvin?  If so, I think you'll do OK; you know where she hangs out!

:doh::doh::doh: didn't make that connection, Hope it is! 

14 hours ago, MaryBethD said:

Your brickwork is amazing! Thanks for sharing your tutorial!!

Ha ha! I'd love for my bricks to be that good, but actually it is Otterine's tutorial. I have just benefited from it several times. You can also use the same method for slate or stack stone or any other grout based finish you can come up with.

• Like 1

I got the stairs and the fireplace painted yesterday. The fireplace ended up a little rough. I tried sanding it to smooth it out and it smoothed, but a lot of the paint came off. So now I'm going to give it a third coat and that means it will be rough again. *headdesk*

Yesterday I also stained the floors and trim for the shadowbox. I can't put those in until I get more glue. But I did give them a coat of varnish this afternoon. I had to open up the window in my room and then I had to make the decision to either suffocate from the varnish or freeze to death from the open window. I finally shut the window. It was 64° in here!

Then, my headphones gave out. Now I can't watch anything or listen to music. New headphones must be bought tomorrow.

After yesterday's jazz brunch we stopped at Ollie's on the way home to see what they had gotten in new.  Normally I avoid the new adult coloring books like the plague (I have a bunch of more traditional ones from Dover Publications), but I found some with designs I think will work in mini (also by Dover, some of their Creative Haven series).  I'm thinking possible use when I build my Lily/ Tuscan villa.

Other than bashing out a wall here and there I'm mostly been making small things for the attic.  I did make a glass partition to place just to the right of the front door to make a bit of separation from the living room (one of the walls I removed was the dog-leg wall separating the foyer/dining area from the living room).  

I'm waiting for some brass stampings to add decorative detail to the bottom part of the wall.

I found a great resource for brass stampings - her prices are good*, huge selection and shipping is super fast.  No affiliation - just wanted to share:  vintagejewelrysupplies.com

*at least I think they are - it's been a while since I purchased any brass stampings

2017-04-10_08.40.53.jpg

• Like 2

Haven't gotten to work on minis as much as I'd like this last week, but have been working slowly and steadily gluing skinny sticks down. Just about have a completed floor and will then sand it just a bit... but I think it's going to look perfectly imperfect like an older floor that's weathered some wear and tear through the ages. Seriously looking forward to getting it done! Otherwise, have been working on cleaning up a bit in my shop and making more floor space for my pup to be out there working with me now that we're finally getting some nicer weather here. Have loved checking in and seeing what everyone else has been up to! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Andrea Jane! What's with your hand? ??

I included that shot because I thought everyone could relate. :)  Realities of the hobby - cuts and paint.  At least it's my reality.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

After yesterday's jazz brunch we stopped at Ollie's on the way home to see what they had gotten in new.  Normally I avoid the new adult coloring books like the plague (I have a bunch of more traditional ones from Dover Publications), but I found some with designs I think will work in mini (also by Dover, some of their Creative Haven series).  I'm thinking possible use when I build my Lily/ Tuscan villa.

That I look forward to seeing!

21 minutes ago, AndreaJane said:

I included that shot because I thought everyone could relate. :)  Realities of the hobby - cuts and paint.  At least it's my reality.  

Yep, ouches comes with the building/construction, I have however eliminated some of the paint stains as I often use latex gåvors Now when painting up close and personal, ie holdingbolag on stuff and painting the Fingers, nails etc etc. In the day job I sort of need a neat apperenace, sort of....  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Ooohhh! A Lily Tuscan Villa! That sounds super interesting, Holly! How's the Brimble's coming?

51 minutes ago, AndreaJane said:

Mine, too!  My hands also get dry from having to wash the glue, paint, etc., off them 50 million times while working on a project.  :)  Hope your finger is better.

1 hour ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Ooohhh! A Lily Tuscan Villa! That sounds super interesting, Holly! How's the Brimble's coming?

Very slowly.  With DS living with us until his house gets repaired I don't get out in the workshop much.  I'm stitching rugs for some of the stock, if that counts...

• Like 1