What's everyone working on?

9 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Another day playing with clay.  Made some terra cotta tiles for the walkway.  Hot sauce bottles, and 2 flower pots.  This stuff is becoming addictive.  Lol.  Tomorrow....cactus?????

I found a great tutorial on how to make miniature echeveria last week. Commence plant creation! https://youtu.be/SOIFLFl74mU

• Like 2

Things have come to a bit of a standstill in the Casa as I wait for some lighting to arrive. I didnt notice that one of the lights I ordered was a pre-order :( i may just drive over to Oak Ridge Hobbies this weekend and pick up the rest of the order. In the mean time, I did order a really cool polymer clay texture sheet to make the bed headboard with. That should be arriving Thursday. I guess I can just concentrate on furniture until my lighting gets in. Boo for waiting though!

• Like 2

After this weekend's wallpaper failure challenge, I decided to turn the house around and work on the outside some more while I come up with a new plan. Last night a painted the porches.  I was hoping not to have to repaint that, as it was still in good shape, but there was just too much dirty up under the porch railings that I couldn't get clean.  Plus, now it matches the foundation that did have to be repainted, so it's for the best I guess.

Mama told me last night that she will be keeping my grandson all weekend, which means that I will have to be over at her house all weekend, and that since she will be taking him home Sunday (he lives 3 ours away), I will also be hosting Easter dinner at my house Sunday afternoon.  So no dollhouse work Thursday-Sunday.  :(  Boo.  Not sure I will make my deadline now.

11 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

Mama told me last night that she will be keeping my grandson all weekend, which means that I will have to be over at her house all weekend, and that since she will be taking him home Sunday (he lives 3 ours away), I will also be hosting Easter dinner at my house Sunday afternoon.  So no dollhouse work Thursday-Sunday.  :(  Boo.  Not sure I will make my deadline now.

Not to be rude but why does your mom get to dictate who hosts Easter and that you have to be at her house for that many days? It's one thing to offer but another to have someone tell you you have to entertain people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, otterine said:

I have just finished up the engineering phase of the working windmill and can now begin building and decorating. :ohyeah: 

Fantastic!  Loved the video of the sails in action.  I love when miniature things actually work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

Not to be rude but why does your mom get to dictate who hosts Easter and that you have to be at her house for that many days? It's one thing to offer but another to have someone tell you you have to entertain people.

Yeah...  Guess that does sound bad with no background info!

Because my mom is old, and grandson is 2. And she's sweet to offer to keep him for my daughter for several days, but she can't handle him by herself!  So I go after work and on the weekends to help and bathe him and put him to bed.  Personally, I'd rather drive the 3 hours and spend the night to visit with him, but she likes doing this, and plus she wants to take him to the church Easter egg hunt.  Which is another whole stress point there!  Also when he's up here visiting, the other great-grandparents can come over and visit.  It is hard for them to make the trip very often.  I am his only grandparent, but he has lots of greats!  We usually get to see him about every 4-6 weeks.

Also, me and my sister and our families go to my mom's every single Sunday afternoon for dinner, and mama cooks for us all.  She also does all the "Monday holidays", and Thanksgiving, New Years, and Easter.  I only host Christmas, and we don't go to my sister's house (many reasons for that).  And mama cooks all the food and brings it over, and I do desserts.  Since they will be driving for several hours Sunday to take him home she asked if everyone could come to my house since she wont have much time to cook.  But, she will still bring the ham, and probably still cook.  Because that's what she does!  And not having Easter dinner is not an option.  I'm surprised she's okay with missing church, but her church streams the service online, so she'll just watch it that way.

I will just have to stay focused and put on my super-woman hat!!  :D 

• Like 1

Ahhhh! OK this all makes much more sense especially knowing that you guys do Sunday dinner every week. Sounds like your mom keeps busy even in her old age. That's nice of you to help out but, yes, stressful. We're headed over to my BIL's house for Easter. Im thinking that's going to be where all of my SILs family goes for Easter because this is the second year they've hosted.

Make a list and try to have fun! Sorry to put on the angry eyes about the situation lol. I have a pretty dismal relationship with my mom so it's tough not to get angry on other people's behalf sometimes just because of my own experience. Sounds like you guys are close and have a good relationship though and that's great that you all help each other out!

Yeah, I am very thankful for my mom and everything she does for is. But sometimes I do get on my bad attitude and just want to do things myself, without my mom being in charge of everything. When you get to be a grandma, you should get to be the old one in charge, but yet I'm still under her. That's why I'd rather just drive there, of course that takes time too, and did I mention I'm just below terrified of interstate driving?? And i make the trip by myself.

Okay, I'm done, don't mean to whine. But I had stuff to do and it's just kinda disappointing. But I'll be okay. He'll have a good time at the egg hunt, and then we'll spend the rest of the night saying "No, no more candy!". But now on top of cleaning, i also have to decorate the house, bake bread and cakes, and cook something. Oh and Saturday night after I've spent the day chasing a 2 year old, i still have to go home and color eggs with my kids (who are older, so not a lot of supervision required. And the egg coloring is for me, not them, they could care less!)

I'm sorry to whine, especially when you don't have a good relationship with your mom, and I know others no longer have her with them. My attitude will get better. Doesn't help work is annoying the mess out of me right now too!!

Oh, and when I say she's old, she's really not that old, just a lot older and less energy than a 2 year old!

Sparklepuppies - Whining is very healthy - especially when we write it out. It helps us to put our thoughts about a situation in order, and work towards focusing on the gratitude side just like you have done! Great job!

Miranda I am so sorry about your mom situation. That relationship has been one of the biggest challenges and disappointments of my life. I moved 1500 miles away in my 20's just to avoid the conflicts and fallout from very bad choices she made for herself. I have spent the last 19 years trying very hard to learn how to love a broken person who has no awareness of her own brokenness. But bright side - I have an awesome relationship with both my kids and seeing what not to do helped that. I hope, like me, there are other wonderful branches of the family for you to be with and get support from.

• Like 4

I moved from Minnesota to California when I was 17 to get away from both of my parents and I still think it's the smartest thing I ever did. The nine months I was back in Minnesota trying to live with my mom was horrible. We get on fine as long as we don't have to live together. One thing I learned about visiting my parents: make sure you can afford the option of walking out on your own if the visit isn't going good. Otherwise, don't visit! LOL

Meantime, I finished varnishing the floors and trim of the shadowbox and will be installing those today (once the sun comes round in the window so I can see what I'm doing). Then I'll be working on doing something with windows.

More happily, I went to Best Buy yesterday and got earphones. They were marked down to $9.99 (from $19.99). My computer is 12 years old now, and I need earphones with jacks instead of a USB port and they're hard to find. It looks like Best Buy is phasing them out as I bought the last pair they had and it seems they won't be getting anymore like that in. With no TV, I watch everything on the computer and living with such thin walls and being hard of hearing, I need earphones so as not to disturb everyone around me. It doesn't help that I like the shoot-'em-ups movie and TV shows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SewMini said:

My Mum, does this all the time... lol.. My husband calls her the Queen because she issue's edicts around and everyone is expected to comply. If you don't you are definitely on the *insert magic word here* list.

Today I have to take a day off work to take her to an eye surgeon appointment... I'm not sure she understands that I can't just take a day off at her whim last minute to deal with something she needs/wants... Luckily, we have a fairly good work/life balance policy at my workplace and they will work with you for the most part, but it can't be every week!... and I definitely can't leave work mid shift because her and a friend want to watch a DVD and she doesn't know how to work the DVD machine!!... Don't think she got the memo... :rofl:

I'm an only child.. so I get all the marching orders.. & I have no siblings to commiserate with.:cry:  I've tried to set up some ground rules with her in the past but it's just not worth the fight.. She's a master gaslighter.. so I try to avoid conflict or contentious discussion topics to avoid that charming feature of her personality. :)  She believes it is a childs duty to serve their parent... and in her defence she did it for her Mother & her MIL even though she didn't have a great relationship with either of them... so I guess she expects that it's my turn.. 

@Its_a_sm_world_after_all @rodentraiser I too moved to get away from my Mum.. 7183 miles to be exact, from Australia to the USA :blush:... however I moved back when my Dad passed away.. and am now only three blocks away.. Life was definitely simpler over there... lol

Anyhoo.. on a Miniature note.. My miniatures.com order finally showed up yesterday... (took more than a month.. hows that for BOO for waiting @SewMini :eek: ) So tomorrow I'm going to be able to start assembling the kitchenette for the basement apartment. :cucumber:

AARRRGGGHHHHHH!

OK, so I was going to stain, varnish and install the trim and floors in the shadowbox. How hard could this be?!?!

I'll tell you. The floors went fine. They got glued in fine. Then came the trim - 6 pieces for each room. When I went to fit in the living room trim, I found a piece already stuck on the ceiling. I had cut it so well, when I went to dry fit it, it stayed in place and I totally missed staining it! I still had 12 pieces of finished trim, so what happened? Turns out I stained and varnished (3 times!!) a piece of scrap wood that had been miscut. *&%$ !

• Like 4

Well, I can now see the futility of dry fitting. Everything dry fit perfectly. However, once things were glued in....let's just say I have a few gaps here and there. So what I did the last time I went to the hardware store (for occasions such as these) was get some spackle that's supposed to be both stainable and paintable. I'm sure the fine makers of this product meant a person to spackle before the wood was stained and varnished, but I never did follow the rules anyway. Besides, how do you know if you have gaps if you don't put things together first?

Anyway, I was able to wipe the excess spackle off with a damp paper towel. I'll let it dry for now and then I'll restain over it and refinish over it too if I need to, and I'll let you guys know how this stuff works.

As an excuse for the gaps, the best one I can offer is I had another vitreous macular separation last night in my right eye this time. I still have huge floaters in the left eye because of the last one. Now I have huge floaters in the right eye as well, which makes it seem like I'm looking through the world's dirtiest glasses. Getting old sucks lemons.

• Like 1

Oh Kelly that sounds pretty serious - is there anything you can do? Does it just get worse over time?

I hope the stain-able spackle stuff works well for you. In the next few days I am going to try out that DAP plastic wood stuff. I will also share my results.

Today my hubs hung the shelf for me, so I've been busy in the workroom (a.k.a. the ex dining room) cleaning and organizing. I do have a lot of crap, but at least I have an organizational system and can ***usually*** find what I'm looking for in a reasonable amount of looking. The other side of the room? Not suitable for public consumption at this point! I'm a messy builder!

IMG_4824.JPG

• Like 4

So sorry to hear you are both dealing with the "floaters" in your eyes, Kelly and Lawanda. I know as a diabetic that's something they warn you of right off the bat to make sure you keep a watch on your eyes and that you don't experience that(apparently happens quite easily if one doesn't control their blood sugar). Prayers for both of you that your eyes clear up!

For myself and minis, found the bag with all my windows, doors, and shutters for my Plum Pudding rehab. Managed to find two brand new rolls of wallpaper still in plastic wrap that are scaled really well for miniature usage, so those got stuck in my wallpaper stash. I did finish gluing my skinny stick floor together, sanded it also. I'm really thinking this floor will have a great look of an aged farmhouse floor -- really liking the way it's turning out so far! Have also started laying tile down for the bathroom floor upstairs, and am hoping to have all my papering for the second floor of the Plum Pudding done by Saturday.

Jodi, let me just say well done on the organization efforts -- I wish any of my work spaces looked that nice!  :clap:

• Like 2