What's everyone working on?

Jodi, is it bad that I'm drooling over stash? It is very well organized too!

Ladies, please get your floaters checked, Kelli is right about blood sugar levels affecting your vision.:crazyeyes:

I posted some pictures in my blog, I am working away at the outside of the Laurel...gluing my fingers together and my clamps to the house.

• Like 1

Carrie I love the colors and the pattern! Shingling is such a slog. I really like the speed shingle strips from the Greenleaf store. They make the work exponentially faster!

You can drool - we are supposed to love everyone else's toys more than our own! Besides, I have lots of tissues! :o)

• Like 1

@Its_a_sm_world_after_all I'm drooling over your stash too.. and the organisation.. It takes me forever to find something in mine... I'm going to go and get some plastic drawer and a label maker one day.

Oh and I like your RL beadboard & cornice and that Peacock wall art looks fabulous. :D

I was already in a couple times because of my left eye last December. At that time, I had white zigzags that flash in my eye and after x-rays, the ophthalmologist said it was a vitreous separation of the macula and it happens to old people. A bunch of floaters can indicate that your retina is detaching, but as this is one huge floater, I don't think that is happening. The doctor said then that if the floaters were too bothersome, they could be corrected with a laser that would give me 20/20 vision. I'll call the office tomorrow, I guess. Keep your fingers crossed that my floaters are now too bothersome!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Oh Kelly that sounds pretty serious - is there anything you can do? Does it just get worse over time?

I hope the stain-able spackle stuff works well for you. In the next few days I am going to try out that DAP plastic wood stuff. I will also share my results.

Today my hubs hung the shelf for me, so I've been busy in the workroom (a.k.a. the ex dining room) cleaning and organizing. I do have a lot of crap, but at least I have an organizational system and can ***usually*** find what I'm looking for in a reasonable amount of looking. The other side of the room? Not suitable for public consumption at this point! I'm a messy builder!

IMG_4824.JPG

This is great! The next time my mom says I have too many miniatures, I can show her this. It's like the time she told me I had too many model horses and I had to show her the picture of the woman with 30 shelves of model horses.

May I also say I am totally envious. I only have a quarter of that space (because I will not sell my sofa) and I'm pretty full to bursting.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Samusa said:

@Its_a_sm_world_after_all I'm drooling over your stash too.. and the organisation.. It takes me forever to find something in mine... I'm going to go and get some plastic drawer and a label maker one day.

Oh and I like your RL beadboard & cornice and that Peacock wall art looks fabulous. :D

Thank you, Sam! It will really improve your mini productivity! I found all those drawer units on Amazon - they were returns that were listed as Good or Like New. I saved about $15 on each one that way. I love them because I have a dedicated place to put things and better probability of finding them again (says the girl who is sick of buying multiples because she doesn't remember what she has).

That peacock is a matching set. They were in my grandmas dining room all throughout my childhood. When she passed, she left me her whole dining room. I love having such special treasures around me. I spray painted them because they were a kind of weird coppery finish before. The color on my walls is close to the one she had on hers, too.

My husband is a skilled and creative genius when it comes to building things and mechanical know-how. Our house was very vanilla, so slowly over time we have added trims and built ins so that it feels like a home with an old and steady soul. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

I love them because I have a dedicated place to put things and better probability of finding them again (says the girl who is sick of buying multiples because she doesn't remember what she has).

LOL! I thought I was the only one who did that... :D

3 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

That peacock is a matching set. They were in my grandmas dining room all throughout my childhood. When she passed, she left me her whole dining room. I love having such special treasures around me. I spray painted them because they were a kind of weird coppery finish before. The color on my walls is close to the one she had on hers, too.

My husband is a skilled and creative genius when it comes to building things and mechanical know-how. Our house was very vanilla, so slowly over time we have added trims and built ins so that it feels like a home with an old and steady soul. 

Well they are gorgeous and look great with that wall colour...  and it's even better that they are an heirloom. And he's a keeper isn't he.. he's doing a wonderful job!... My DH can't even hook up the TV! :rofl:

12 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Today my hubs hung the shelf for me, so I've been busy in the workroom

I love seeing others work spaces.  I'm envious of how organized you are!  I have an entire office/craft room and it is a disaster.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AndreaJane said:

I love seeing others work spaces.  I'm envious of how organized you are!  I have an entire office/craft room and it is a disaster.  

If I took a photo of the right side of the room right now it would really make you feel better! I have the wallpapering chaos happening there now!

It has taken me nearly five years to get it to this point, and there is still a ways to go. My house is one giant Tetrus game, and I can't do all the heavy lifting by myself like I used to. Eventually, I'll have nice display spaces for the two big builds and can get them out of my bedroom. I tell the boys (hubs and son) that this is the girl zone - no loitering, no littering. If I didn't guard it, they'd spread out in here, too!

On 4/11/2017, 4:51:17, Samusa said:

She's a master gaslighter.

My mom could light a whole town with the amount of gaslighting she does. OY! Thankfully, she's 9 hours away most of the time. We have a wonderful phone relationship ;)

Jodi, I too am in love with all your organizing bins! It makes me want to organize all my stuff which needs to happen so badly. I have two dresses I need to make so I've got to clean up all my dollhouse stuff and convert back to sewing. Should be fun though. I'm making the talent dress for my cousin's daughter. She's competing in a state level pageant in June and wants a dress that matches her formal gown. We found a lovely tulip dress pattern for her that I think will look great. 

In good news, most of my orders are arriving today! The cool relief sheet is arriving from amazon and most of my lights should be arriving too. Ack now I need to get back to work on the living room and start thinking about the upstairs.

• Like 1

The mexican restaurant is almost done.  I changed the "grass" this morning, it was just too in your face green.  I added the stepping stones in the gravel walkway.  I was having a little issue this morning.   Kept having a road block.......Miss Belle, our Bassett wouldn't stay out from under my feet.  I honestly wish I could figure out why I can't post pictures from my phone.  Oh well, they are on pintetest if anyone is interested.

Working on converting the Dura Craft FH505 Farmhouse into a beach house.  Feel so fortunate.  My brother 3D printed a 1:12 scale toilet for one of the bathrooms.  My grandson 3D printed beach chairs.  My husband computer designed a pattern for a somewhat smaller than 1:12 scale stackable washer and dryer that my grandson plans to see if he can 3D print.  Every beach house needs a washer and dryer and the normal 1:12 scales just won't fit in my small available space.

My daughter sent me some very TINY sea shells and pieces of coral.

It was not easy, but after hitting thrift stores on a two day drive along Interstate I-5, finally found some small print fabric for the beach theme to cover the chair cushions.

Stopped off at Heirlooms Dollhouse Miniatures & More in Aurora, Oregon and bought two HOM chair kits -- to give me six chairs to go around the big dining room.  I tried to make a smaller footprint of the house, but how I wish I had room for a larger house.  I did enlarge the porch as I plan to put lots of rocking chairs on the porch and the second floor deck.

I love Jodi's organized workspace.  I have the most disorganized and messy space when I am working and because of that habit, I waste a lot of time looking for things on the worktable and sometimes forgetting and using a piece of wood for something that I had intended to use for something else. 

3 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

The mexican restaurant is almost done.  I changed the "grass" this morning, it was just too in your face green.  I added the stepping stones in the gravel walkway.  I was having a little issue this morning.   Kept having a road block.......Miss Belle, our Bassett wouldn't stay out from under my feet.  I honestly wish I could figure out why I can't post pictures from my phone.  Oh well, they are on pintetest if anyone is interested.

The restaurant is wonderful, Lawanda! There's just so much to look at! The parking spaces with cars and the walking pavers turned out awesome! Now I;m hungry for fajitas!

3 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

I do love your craft room.  Mine was once organized,  but that only lasted a week or 2.  I purchased and assembled the chrome "restaurant " shelves and put them in the corner.  My spouse built me a sweet workbench,  but it's all buried under my projects.

My work table gets crazy with layers of stuff while I work. It is frustrating so I have to make myself stop and reorganize often or I get nothing done. I bet you are able to work just fine in the chaos. My hubs can too which is why the garage looks nothing like the dining room. I wish I could!

6 hours ago, SewMini said:

My mom could light a whole town with the amount of gaslighting she does. OY! Thankfully, she's 9 hours away most of the time. We have a wonderful phone relationship ;)

Jodi, I too am in love with all your organizing bins! It makes me want to organize all my stuff which needs to happen so badly. I have two dresses I need to make so I've got to clean up all my dollhouse stuff and convert back to sewing. Should be fun though. I'm making the talent dress for my cousin's daughter. She's competing in a state level pageant in June and wants a dress that matches her formal gown. We found a lovely tulip dress pattern for her that I think will look great. 

In good news, most of my orders are arriving today! The cool relief sheet is arriving from amazon and most of my lights should be arriving too. Ack now I need to get back to work on the living room and start thinking about the upstairs.

That's so cool to be asked to make such a special dress! You must have mad seamstress skills! Be sure to post photos!

Yeah for miniatures in the mail! Can't wait to see your lights!

1 hour ago, thriftymini said:

Working on converting the Dura Craft FH505 Farmhouse into a beach house.  Feel so fortunate.  My brother 3D printed a 1:12 scale toilet for one of the bathrooms.  My grandson 3D printed beach chairs.  My husband computer designed a pattern for a somewhat smaller than 1:12 scale stackable washer and dryer that my grandson plans to see if he can 3D print.  Every beach house needs a washer and dryer and the normal 1:12 scales just won't fit in my small available space.

My daughter sent me some very TINY sea shells and pieces of coral.

It was not easy, but after hitting thrift stores on a two day drive along Interstate I-5, finally found some small print fabric for the beach theme to cover the chair cushions.

Stopped off at Heirlooms Dollhouse Miniatures & More in Aurora, Oregon and bought two HOM chair kits -- to give me six chairs to go around the big dining room.  I tried to make a smaller footprint of the house, but how I wish I had room for a larger house.  I did enlarge the porch as I plan to put lots of rocking chairs on the porch and the second floor deck.

I love Jodi's organized workspace.  I have the most disorganized and messy space when I am working and because of that habit, I waste a lot of time looking for things on the worktable and sometimes forgetting and using a piece of wood for something that I had intended to use for something else. 

The beach house sounds so cool, and especially with the whole family pitching in to help! And I love thrift store finds! I'm going to need to make the rounds again soon and see if I can find some good material for the sofa and chairs I'l make for the New Orleans.

I used to spend so much of my precious mini time looking through the dozens of hidey holes where I had stuff stored. Then one day it hit me - we never use the dining room for family get togethers because it is too small to fit all the family. We always hang out in the kitchen which is attached to the family room. That's when I decided to use my dining room space instead of leaving it set up for the rare occasion that we may use it. Instead now it gets used almost every day! An boy does it get lived in!

• Like 1

I was inspired by Jodi.  Ignore the cat pan.  It can't be helped.  And the odd paint job - the previous owner used this room as a nursery and I still haven't gotten around to painting after four years....

Office_Before_After.jpg

• Like 3

Oh my, AndreaJane! I love those shelves. Where did you get them? Now I need to go clean up my craft room!

2 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

That's so cool to be asked to make such a special dress! You must have mad seamstress skills! Be sure to post photos!

I will! I've been sewing for about 17 years. My MIL actually taught me. I always joke that she was my benevolent sewing dictator. She and I actually really like each other but she definitely didn't let me slack on anything when she was teaching me. I spent soooo many hours in front of the machine sewing and ripping and sewing and ripping with her hovering over my shoulder. Getting a "you did really good" from her is basically like getting a Pulitzer lol. I appreciate her exactness though. It's what helped me be a good seamstress!

I got my lights in today and HOLY COW! Those little spot lights you can get are crazy bright. I'm going to have to buy more of those! Very impressed with the amount of light you get for your money with those. I also got the texture sheet and I looooooooove it. It's exactly the kind of texture I was hoping for. Sad news is I hate the polymer clay I got. It's Sculpey Premo and, I don't know. It's just weird. It's really hard and dry even after conditioning it for well over 20 minutes. I'm going to have to get something different.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AndreaJane said:

I was inspired by Jodi.  Ignore the cat pan.  It can't be helped.  And the odd paint job - the previous owner used this room as a nursery and I still haven't gotten around to painting after four years....

Now that's a beautiful space! I love the pink - so warm and peaceful! The white shelving & decor are lovely and perfectly balance out the space!

2 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Now that's a beautiful space! I love the pink - so warm and peaceful! The white shelving & decor are lovely and perfectly balance out the space!

I am with Jodi too, great looking crafting area! 

As for me, I am still fiddling with the Steampunk-fence and it Looks like I have finally found an adhesive that Will work... am awaiting the right side to dry now. large.IMG_0353.JPG.d61f650429e3f13d4f11d

• Like 3

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:23:17, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Oh to have 20/20 vision again! You jump on that train as fast as you can Kelly!

Unfortunately, I found out this morning that train don't run no more. In fact, my vision is now officially worse than it was. I have now had a vitreous separation in my right eye (the left eye did this back in December and January). You can see the huge floater on the x-ray. So now I have dark floaters in front of both eyes. It's like wearing glasses with huge fingerprints on them. ACK!

Meantime, working on the shadowbox, it's one step forward, three steps back. I did try to stain over the spackle I put on the other day. Yes, it does take stain. Sort of. It also helps if you use a SMALL paintbrush instead of a huge foam brush because you won't be getting stain on the walls then, like I did. So then I tried to tell myself, it's OK, furniture will be hiding the corners. At which point my other self yelled at me, "WELL, WHY DID YOU BOTHER TO FIX THE CORNERS WITH SPACKLE IN THE FIRST PLACE?"

I had no answer for myself.

Then, I got the pink tile installed in the bathroom. It looked pretty good UNTIL...I decided to mod podge the tile the same way I had mod podged the kitchen floor. The kitchen floor, which is paper, was fine. The pink tile developed DIMPLES in all the tiles. If I wanted textured tile, it's perfect. But I didn't want textured tile.

Then in addition to that...mercy on my soul, I decided that since I was going to run the pink tile sheet part way up the walls, I would just run the wallpaper down to wherever, since the bottom part was going to be covered with the tiles. But once I had the tiles in, you can see the tape wire and the wallpaper behind it! I think I got Houseworks tile sheet instead of the usual Handley House or JR Enterprises tile sheet and I won't be making that mistake again. Of course, I had to use black wallpaper, didn't I?

Anyway, the trim for the kitchen got cut and painted. Yay me, now I have red paint all over my hands and my computer desk. I do think I've going to varnish that before I put it in the kitchen. Given everything else that's gone wrong, you think it'll burst into fire or something?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Unfortunately, I found out this morning that train don't run no more. In fact, my vision is now officially worse than it was. I have now had a vitreous separation in my right eye (the left eye did this back in December and January). You can see the huge floater on the x-ray. So now I have dark floaters in front of both eyes. It's like wearing glasses with huge fingerprints on them. ACK!

Meantime, working on the shadowbox, it's one step forward, three steps back. I did try to stain over the spackle I put on the other day. Yes, it does take stain. Sort of. It also helps if you use a SMALL paintbrush instead of a huge foam brush because you won't be getting stain on the walls then, like I did. So then I tried to tell myself, it's OK, furniture will be hiding the corners. At which point my other self yelled at me, "WELL, WHY DID YOU BOTHER TO FIX THE CORNERS WITH SPACKLE IN THE FIRST PLACE?"

I had no answer for myself.

Then, I got the pink tile installed in the bathroom. It looked pretty good UNTIL...I decided to mod podge the tile the same way I had mod podged the kitchen floor. The kitchen floor, which is paper, was fine. The pink tile developed DIMPLES in all the tiles. If I wanted textured tile, it's perfect. But I didn't want textured tile.

Then in addition to that...mercy on my soul, I decided that since I was going to run the pink tile sheet part way up the walls, I would just run the wallpaper down to wherever, since the bottom part was going to be covered with the tiles. But once I had the tiles in, you can see the tape wire and the wallpaper behind it! I think I got Houseworks tile sheet instead of the usual Handley House or JR Enterprises tile sheet and I won't be making that mistake again. Of course, I had to use black wallpaper, didn't I?

Anyway, the trim for the kitchen got cut and painted. Yay me, now I have red paint all over my hands and my computer desk. I do think I've going to varnish that before I put it in the kitchen. Given everything else that's gone wrong, you think it'll burst into fire or something?

Time to take a vacation.....a mini vacation..lol.     I understand frustration....I set the roof on the restaurant this morning.....well pooooooo.  The barrel tile sheet is on upside down........thankfully it came off rather easy.  Left the house for a trip to cape Girardeau.  Now I'm weaving a little rug.  Not easy as my lousy eyes keep crossing.  My daughter found my old bead loom while helping clean up the little well porch attached to my craft room.  I thought hum?????wonder if embroidery floss would work.  So far so good.

I'm rooting for you, Lawanda. Something has to go right for someone here and if it isn't me, it may as well be you! LOL

Anyway, here is a pic of the bedroom with the spackle on the corners:

br1.jpg.4cb4f111bc90630b2752e55c04470e4d

And here is a pic of the spackle after it's touched up. As you can see, it does stain quite nice, but please, use a little brush.

br2.jpg.2fab694ee725686e93160ed2cc6488d6

Here is a pic of my bathroom before I messed it up:

bthrm.jpg.3ee2ef666820c9f640ac0c06f9dbc3

• Like 1