What's everyone working on?

Sort of not really. The wallpaper isn't in there evenly on the bottom, so I might cut the tile just right for one wall and the wallpaper could still be longer on another side. Besides, the tile was cement glued in. It would leave a horrible mess if I were to take it out. And on top of all that, I have tapewire going right up the middle of the back wall of the bathroom, to put a light in over the sink. Any blade I'd run across there would cut my tapewire.

I'm just going to consider this a lesson among many, many others learned.

• Like 1

Got the outside walls of the basement for the San Franciscan glued together and papered inside... I'm finally out of the "ground" on this build. (Well, half out of the ground... it's a walkout... ) :D 

Now to the daunting stonework for the basement exterior. :ermm:

Ack, awaiting glue to dry is so not My strong point! But then again that allowed me to scout and find a purr-fect LED light for the Steampunk interior. 

Hugs

Soooo, been sitting there looking into it, so not sure om what it wants for its inside just yet, so put "Vastra" (Dr Who fans might know of her :) ) who Will be re-dressed as of later, for Now and while decorating the uniform looking  clothes Will work, She Will get the Victorian black deras later on with a hat and veil too.

i have had this deal for ages really, i itially got it for the lighthouse, but it works so much better here. Apart from the mahogny we are undecisive... sooo, brainstorma with me what it could be, a shop, a workshop of some kind, a ????  Still have the finishingdetails Left to, like trims and fittings around the oval window. 

large.IMG_0358.JPG.5b1c4fa3767781a8ebbd0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna said:

Soooo, been sitting there looking into it, so not sure om what it wants for its inside just yet, ... sooo, brainstorma with me what it could be, a shop, a workshop of some kind, a ????  Still have the finishing details Left to, like trims and fittings around the oval window. 

My brain, this morning, appears to be fixated on an unanticipated mix of hard and soft  that makes the viewer smile... and thus the puddle of brainwater below. :D 

I envision some kind of unexpected shop ...  like a coffee shop with a wild and wonderful steam-punked coffee machines, like a samovar on steroids, a couple of small tables and chairs made from gears, etc., and a small showcase or shelf displaying luscious sweets that contrast with the metallic features. I can see Vastra sitting at one of the tables and maybe a waitress in a French maid's uniform, another a bit of softness/contrast to the metallic features. 

• Like 1

Kelly could you paint those upper tiles maybe just top row, black gloss as a transition/decor? And at the lower line where the dark tapewire shows through, glue on a black gloss 1/4 round trim piece (whatever that very tiny chair rail like trim is).

Use those to your advantage as if they were part of the design!

9 hours ago, Anna said:

Soooo, been sitting there looking into it, so not sure om what it wants for its inside just yet, so put "Vastra" (Dr Who fans might know of her :) ) who Will be re-dressed as of later, for Now and while decorating the uniform looking  clothes Will work, She Will get the Victorian black deras later on with a hat and veil too.

i have had this deal for ages really, i itially got it for the lighthouse, but it works so much better here. Apart from the mahogny we are undecisive... sooo, brainstorma with me what it could be, a shop, a workshop of some kind, a ????  Still have the finishingdetails Left to, like trims and fittings around the oval window. 

I'm feeling a workshop/laboratory... 

Image result for steampunk workshopRelated image

And I see Vastra dressed like this... :D

Image result for steampunk workshop

I'm trapped at work today (which is only funny since I work in an escape room and trap people for a living :) ) but working on books.

My book addiction stared innocently enough: I have a 1:12 scale book store (C&M Books and Coffee) so I needed books. At first, they didn't have real pages. Then they had pages, but they were blank. But then I started making accordion fold books which were fun but WAY out of scale and so now I make double printed books (which are a pain in the neck, but so cute!)

FromTheAttic003.jpg

This is getting completely out of hand. And I am now hand binding each book because I've decided that all the books in C&M and also the Joseph Angel (which will have many, many book shelves) should be REAL books.

And because I am clearly a crazy person.

Anyway, this is a bunny (no word on if he is THE Easter bunny or AN Easter bunny or just a bunny) I found browsing  my little book shop this morning. :) Everybunny loves the Velveteen Rabbit, right?

large.EasterBunnyBrowsing.jpg.69569d172f

So wish me luck. I will never, ever finish all the books I want to make for these two houses (and who knows how many other bookshelves between now and then) but I am really enjoying doing them.

Especially on days like today when I am trapped at work. :)

- Wendy

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, otterine said:

These are wonderful books!  :D  I'll be making a lot of books soon, too, but they won't even open.  I salute your dedication!

Thanks, Brae! :) I figure, if I ever have a sudden shrinking accident I am SET for reading material! :cheezy:

4 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

As another maker of non-opening books, I bow to your dedication and expertise.

*blush* Well shoot, Holly, thank you. I don't know about it being dedication and it's definitely not expertise. More like I'm a crazy person with a weird obsession and a LOT of trial and error. But thank you.  :) 

Oh, gosh, I like those books. You may not have meant to do this, but they also look a little worn, the way hardback books get when they're read over and over (take it from a reader who knows). Have you thought about making them for sale? And also, how about a miniature library or bookstore?

I finished the inside trim on the mini-windows I'm making for the shadowbox. I should have just gotten 1/2 scale windows. Those would have looked much, much better, I'm sure.

Because the wall height in the shadowbox is only about 7" and the trim cuts this down to about 5 1/2", these little windows are only 3" x 2". But this time around, they look like windows instead of picture frames on the wall (yay!). I'm going to stain them tonight and then on Tuesday, I'll wander on down to Kinko's and see if they have a transparency sheet I can cut to use for for "glass".  With my usual bumbling, I made these windows flat on the back, so even a piece of hard plastic is going to make them stick out.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Oh, gosh, I like those books. You may not have meant to do this, but they also look a little worn, the way hardback books get when they're read over and over (take it from a reader who knows). Have you thought about making them for sale? And also, how about a miniature library or bookstore?

I finished the inside trim on the mini-windows I'm making for the shadowbox. I should have just gotten 1/2 scale windows. Those would have looked much, much better, I'm sure.

Because the wall height in the shadowbox is only about 7" and the trim cuts this down to about 5 1/2", these little windows are only 3" x 2". But this time around, they look like windows instead of picture frames on the wall (yay!). I'm going to stain them tonight and then on Tuesday, I'll wander on down to Kinko's and see if they have a transparency sheet I can cut to use for for "glass".  With my usual bumbling, I made these windows flat on the back, so even a piece of hard plastic is going to make them stick out.

Aww, thanks! I'm glad you like them. I do try to make them look a little worn, because (until the Joseph Angel is done) for now they're going into my little used book and coffee shop. Thank you for noticing. :blush:

I've thought about selling them, though they sell a lot better in person than they do online. And now I have a dilemma. These are all made double printed with just a glue binding, which works pretty good. But now I've decided that all the books for the Joseph Angel AND for C&M Books and Coffee need to be sewn bound (Coptic binding). It is going to make them a lot more expensive, but also a lot more durable (I mean... they'll be real books. Real small, real books). So I don't even know if people will buy them.

I figure I'll make up a bunch of these new sewn binding ones and sell them at the Colorado miniatures show in September and see how they do. *shrug*   Either way, _I_ will have an awesome library full of books I love. Maybe other people will like them too. :)

Congrats on your little windows! Yaay for windows instead of picture frames!  I'll bet they look great! And there's something about making things yourself. Good luck with your Kinkos trip! Can't wait to hear how it all turns out!

• Like 1

Barbara Raheb did miniature books back in the 80s and she printed hers on acid free paper so they would last, she said, 500 years and she also hand stitched the bindings with waterproof thread, I think. At that time, her average book cost $20. I don't know what that would be in 2017 prices. But it certainly is something to think about.

Well, I have pics of the windows after being stained, but with no finish yet. They're a little amateur looking and I have glue all over them, which you can see. I figure the curtains will hide a lot of that. I hope, anyway.

windows.jpg.6c7b16afd31dd2d88a025d0e7e74

The third window for the kitchen still needs to be put together and that one will be painted.

• Like 1

Thank you, Holly. It's nice to hear you say that, considering I can't even see what I'm doing anymore on account of these *#&* floaters in my eyes. But you haven't seen the third window yet. Yes, the corners are very nice, but the window leans! Did you know you could get 45° corners on all four sides and still have a tilted square? LOL

I didn't glue in the interior trim on those windows. I just cut them a shade too long and sort of forced them in their positions. No way was I gonna get glue all over everything for those. I figure when I varnish them, the varnish will more or less glue them in.

Anyway, I finished the kitchen window before I even got out of bed this morning, but last night I did the usual dumb Kelly-thing. I forgot I was going to varnish over the paint on the kitchen trim - and glued it all in. Now I'm debating varnishing the trim after it's installed in the kitchen. Do I dare even try?

47 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

...the corners are very nice, but the window leans! Did you know you could get 45° corners on all four sides and still have a tilted square?...

Been there, done that.

Kelly, your project is sounding a lot like mine. Anything that can go wrong... It's almost comical the list of things that have been harder than it should have been.

Thank goodness this weekend is over! And we'll just leave it at that.

But , I did get some mini time in today. The outside is now done, except possibly some sanding and touch up paint to the porch rails I painted and glued in this evening. And if I never have to assemble another porch railing ever, my feelings won't be hurt!

Now it's back to the inside and having to make a new wallpaper plan since my last plan didn't work out.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and happy holiday if you celebrate Easter! For myself, I managed to get several things done -- which if I manage to get multiple goals met it's nearly miraculous in my mind! lol Today was a day I managed to finally get my living room floor for the Plum Pudding rehab stained to a point I think I can be happy with. That was one coat of Espresso stain, then sanded, with two additional coats of Cherry stain. BUT I love the look it's given, the depth if you will -- very much like the little people have worn the floor down and it's reclaimed wood that now comprises the floor. I think it's going to look spectacular with my cord wood wall treatment. Thankfully I also managed to get the ceiling treatment in for the bathroom in the same house, and while waiting on that to dry I went ahead and got my baseboard trim cut for the living room as well.

I've thankfully also been managing more time on my 1:6 scale rehab/resuscitation from death house. Read that as a RGT's Victorian Townhome that had definitely seen better days. I ended up having to order new windows, door, and trim for this and thankfully managed to start getting all of those painted. The gal I'm doing this for has requested the outside be painted the obligatory pink for her daughter with white trim, but there will also be some lavender accents on the windows to break it up. The inside however is going to be thankfully a few different colors/finishes and not all pink so as to accommodate her Barbies as well as her Monster High dolls. I'm hoping if the weather cooperates here tomorrow I'll be able to start installing flooring, which I'm confident will take a while but is desperately needed... well to be frank everything about this house is desperately needed but one step at a time! lol