What's everyone working on?

Well, today I and my girl in my profile pic managed to get out to our shop and work on cleaning and straightening up! A definite plus... All in all managed to get a number of wallpapers for the Plum Pudding rehab sealed. In addition to our time spent in the shop we also managed to get back to working on the Blueberry Townhome build -- have to say I had a few initial issues with my brad nailer I was using to make sure the floors were solidly in. However, once I got that under control -- that flew, so I now have floors in and am hoping to get back to decoupaging napkins in for wallpaper on the different levels tomorrow! I truly love the way this is turning out... very much reminds me of the old lithographed houses.

For now, getting back to the Plum Pudding and putting in some more ceiling treatments as well as removing the tile work I had in the kitchen. I just did not like the way that was looking, and after trying it too many times to count decided to just go a different direction for the wall treatment there. lol Hoping with-in the next day or two to get pictures taken and uploaded.  :)

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

What a sweet looking helper you have!  Decoupaged napkins for wallpaper has me intrigued; are they print or textured?

Are they paper or cloth?

Thanks Holly, she definitely is my helper -- she doesn't like to let me out of her sight! lol In regards to the napkins they're the typical paper napkins you can buy in packs and pitch when you're done using. The Blueberry Townhome is being done as a MacKenzie Childs inspired building. The exterior has already been decoupaged with MacKenzie Childs tissue paper in their Courtly Check pattern. For the interior I have napkins with a few different patterns to choose from, and again am trying out some different techniques for flooring etc that I've wanted to try and just hadn't as yet. Have to say, of late I've been enjoying doing the not so new to others, but new to me techniques and tweaking them just a bit...

1 hour ago, minikelli said:

... Have to say, of late I've been enjoying doing the not so new to others, but new to me techniques and tweaking them just a bit...

A kindred spirit! I love pouncing on an inspirational technique and taking it one step further. 

• Like 1

Debating which house to start.  They are not talking to me yet.   So.....I'm playing with clay.   I MIGHT....be doing a build for someone else.  Kid came yesterday to install new tv receivers, seems he went to school with my youngest son.  Before he started to leave he ask me if I sell any of the houses.  His daughters 5th birthday is next week????really.  What I suggested to him was buy a house from HL, give it to her wrapped, then bring it over and I will assemble it for him.   She can tell him what colorshe wants.  I do the inside white for little ones.  They can decorate as she gets older.  I suggested a RGT because of her age.  If she were older that would be different.  We shall see what he decides.

Still working on floors/ceilings and trying to get my brain to think ten steps ahead. It amazes me since I started dollhousing again recently, how much this hobby awakens parts of my mind that normally rest very dormant. Wheels are always spinning and puzzling out issues. That has to be a good thing. As long as it's balanced with also remembering to do things like buy groceries and do the laundry ;) 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Still working on floors/ceilings and trying to get my brain to think ten steps ahead. It amazes me since I started dollhousing again recently, how much this hobby awakens parts of my mind that normally rest very dormant. Wheels are always spinning and puzzling out issues. That has to be a good thing. As long as it's balanced with also remembering to do things like buy groceries and do the laundry ;) 

Why???? Grocery and laundry? ??? Lol.  Are we supposed to do "normal " things?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

laundry and groceries are over rated =)   ....Im painting today, haven't been able to work on my house in some weeks.  Finally this week I have some time to paint windows and start assembling.  

• Like 3

It feels like I have been painting for days! Now, lucky me, I get to sand all 28 rows and apply a final coat before I start cutting and installing. Each time I even start to whine to myself, I just think of the 100 other mundane things I could be doing instead. Like laundry, vacuuming, driving in traffic, or weeding. No thanks, I'll stick to dollhouse trim.

IMG_4879.JPG

• Like 2

I'd rather dollhouse today than do real life too...

I decided to put the rest of the roof on my MHM before I did any more flooring or clay work. Just because I was beginning to suspect that it was going to give me problems. I was right. Lots and lots of glue and cuss words. I had been warming up to the mdf but after dealing with that too heavy roof that wasn't fitting in the grooves and wanting to scream and needing 3 arms to hold everything...if I weren't covering this house with clay I probably would have set it out on the curb. 

• Like 3

Today I took the bedroom carpet to work and measured it out according to the drawing I made  last night. As I was adding things, I realized that I was off by 1/8" on one side. So I didn't draw out the bump out. Which is good, because I figured out just as I was placing the scissors to cut, that I had drawn on the back, and if I had cut, it would have been upside down! But now I have a nice manageable square that I can work with tonight and finish cutting to size. Right side up.

Jodi, you make me feel tired. I had just 3 little pieces of trim to finish and I was getting tired of those. LOL

Anyway, I did finally finish getting the third coat of varnish on the trim and the windows and on the kitchen trim. I was surprised at how easily the I was able to get the kitchen trim varnished with no visible mess ups, even though it's already glued in. Maybe my eyes are just worse than I thought and I just didn't see any. I still haven't been to Kinko's to pick up a transparency sheet, but I have the window scene all picked out and Sunday Lisa said she would print it out for me and then I'll be able to put in the windows. YAY! That will pretty much finish the interior except for furnishing it, but then exterior work starts.

I also want to get a darker cream color for the Arthur and repaint all the wood. That will be fun, because doing that without getting any paint on the wallpaper will be a major miracle.

3 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Jodi, you make me feel tired. I had just 3 little pieces of trim to finish and I was getting tired of those. LOL

Anyway, I did finally finish getting the third coat of varnish on the trim and the windows and on the kitchen trim. I was surprised at how easily the I was able to get the kitchen trim varnished with no visible mess ups, even though it's already glued in. Maybe my eyes are just worse than I thought and I just didn't see any. I still haven't been to Kinko's to pick up a transparency sheet, but I have the window scene all picked out and Sunday Lisa said she would print it out for me and then I'll be able to put in the windows. YAY! That will pretty much finish the interior except for furnishing it, but then exterior work starts.

I also want to get a darker cream color for the Arthur and repaint all the wood. That will be fun, because doing that without getting any paint on the wallpaper will be a major miracle.

Yeah for progress! Post some photos after you get the windows finished!

I've been concentrating on the Cape May the past week.  I finally got the shingles dyed and started work on the roof.  But I realized I needed to get the main house color painted on before I could shingle next to the tower, dormers, etc.  So I finished the first coat of paint on the house!  I am really pleased with the color and am anxious to see with the trim colors!

• Like 2

ok, so as I've sat here today painting and reciting and sanding etc, my brain has been planning and wandering....the flooring and the stairs?  Should I wait to do the flooring and balusters and railing until after the flooring is installed or mark where the stairs and railing go and floor around it?  Ugh!

Set the clay aside for a bit.  After making 400 (+or- a few) bricks this morning.  I found the house that was calling me tonight.  Things got moved when my daughter was here, I was worried she threw it in the bonfire.   It's an Artplay.  Old wood.  This will be the 3rd one I've built, but this one is for ME.

9 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Frogtape makes a masking tape that can be used on newly painted surfaces. I'm guessing its sticky backing is a bit less sticky than the regular Frogtape. I wonder if it could be used to mask wallpaper without risk of it pulling the paper off. Has anyone tried it? If it works, then Major Miracle, thy name is Frogtape. :D 

29 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Frogtape makes a masking tape that can be used on newly painted surfaces. I'm guessing its sticky backing is a bit less sticky than the regular Frogtape. I wonder if it could be used to mask wallpaper without risk of it pulling the paper off. Has anyone tried it? If it works, then Major Miracle, thy name is Frogtape. :D 

The yellow frogtape is low tack & meant for delicate surfaces but if you look at reviews online it's a very mixed bag. Have used it before for various jobs on motorcycles, but that's glossy varnished surface, I will say it is absolutely the best on the market for preventing paint bleed under the tape. If anyone has used it in DH setting I would love to hear your experience, as the reviews always put me off trying! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

It was late when I posted.  It Artply, the Allison.  There is another name for the same house by a different company. 

Is that the one that's like the Greenleaf Pierce?