What's everyone working on?

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I'm making my 1:12 Brimble's a store to hold my excess handicrafts until I build houses to hold them.

I need one of these storage shops!.. This is a great idea... Then your little people have a homewares shop to visit once their house is complete. :D

6 hours ago, smjsome said:

Have been very busy, spring and garden work will be my death. I can't wait for the heat of summer, so I won't be able to work outside anymore!

I love checking in and seeing what you are all up to!  Such creative people!

I haven't been able to upload pics, but, my husband brought me a porch, just a porch, from the St Louis museum garage sale.  It's adorable, and fits inside a glass cabinet away from the cats, so perfect, it's a small job, I can find time for it early or late.  It had some hydrangea beds, I ripped them all up, cut a new base, added some lights.  

My plan is to rebuild the garden on little boards, so I can insert it, and pullout.  For seasonal displays.  So I ordered a bunch of hole punches, and have been making flowers to add to the hydrangeas.  

Also!  I wish I could get pics to load, there are windows with curtains and a door.  In one window I glued a small table and added a lit candle, so you can see from the porch.  I'll be able to do a little tablescape, per season.

my great disappointment - early on when I started my mini life I bought two wicker kits to try out, I opened one today and I was so confused.  I then realized the label for the package was folded, they are 1/2 scale. Both of them.  That's $28 and many years of hoarding I'm not getting back!

but, on to better news!  We drove our trailer full of real garden debris to the town compost heap and on our way home noticed a neighbor diagonal to us was having a garage sale, stopped and found the perfect antique cabinet for a dollhouse base. Some hole punches, floral wire.  $18!  As we were loading it in the trailer, we spotted an unboxed newberg dollhouse kit in the trash!  The neighbor said she'd been trying to sell it for 15 years. Well, I live across the street, and I'm very open about my dollhouses

so, we pulled it right out of the trash, moldings, 3 bags of shingles.  Tonight I'm going to lay it out and make sure it's all there

OMG! !!!!! What a great find.  Pieces missing or not, scrap wood will help.   Hope the instructions are there.   I shouldn't have moved to no where .  Lol

• Like 1

Storage shop? Excellent idea, Holly. I think I'm going to turn my Rose Shop into a storage shop.

Can someone explain to me how I can make a batch of biscuits, some rice, and some beef in oyster sauce and end up with a whole sink full of dishes? Anyway, tonight when faced with the choice of dishes versus miniatures, I finally sat down to finish my windows. I don't know if you can tell in the pictures, but I have some thin clear acetate over the pics in the windows and it sure does look good. Also, since the windows are going into rooms that are one on top of the other, I moved the picture in the windows according to where the rooms were. The bedroom window is on the right with the most sky, the living room window is in the middle, and the kitchen window, in the lowest room of the apartment, is on the left.

windows.thumb.jpg.3f210aedaddf1dcf3355c7

• Like 6

Thank you all! If I do this again, though, I think I'm going to leave more space behind the windows and try to get a light behind them. Once they're in the shadowbox, the windows look sort of dark and the shadowbox is only 5" deep. As it is, those windows are only the thickness of the trim (regular door and window trim) in order to save space.

Sparkle, perspective. LMAO You managed to say in one word what took me a whole paragraph to explain. I think I need to edjumacate myself a little more.

• Like 1

You guys, I think I might get the house finished in time! I had a very productive day yesterday. Only two rooms left and some other little things. Like making a whole new door. :0 I guess I'm going to pull the Dremel Trio out today and hope I can remember how to use it. I am determined I am not going to let this house beat me.

Kelly... Funny I would be the one to come up with the word you need... The last few months I actually have had a hard time finding and remembering words, simple every day words. Very frustrating. So I'm happy I was able to find this one!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Thank you all! If I do this again, though, I think I'm going to leave more space behind the windows and try to get a light behind them. Once they're in the shadowbox, the windows look sort of dark and the shadowbox is only 5" deep. As it is, those windows are only the thickness of the trim (regular door and window trim) in order to save space.

Sparkle, perspective. LMAO You managed to say in one word what took me a whole paragraph to explain. I think I need to edjumacate myself a little more.

I did the lighted window scenes in my three little pigs build and it worked out really well. These photos give an idea of the space and the kind of lighting I used. You can read more details in the blog post here: http://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/2016/06/seeing-mini-dreams-become-real.html

I'm happy to answer questions, too!

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

• Like 1

Ive been working on my MHM just don't have much to show that's worth seeing. The tower was a bit of a nightmare but turned out fine. 

For some unknown reason I became obsessed with doll making over the past 24 hours. I spent a rainy/snowy day yesterday doing research into what would be involved to make porcelain dolls from molds...decided nevermind...and bought one porcelain "blank" to try to create from that step and two kits that are painted but otherwise need to be put together. I'm really looking forward to trying the wigging. I'd love a maid in my dollhouse since I can't have one in real life :)  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Ive been working on my MHM just don't have much to show that's worth seeing. The tower was a bit of a nightmare but turned out fine. 

For some unknown reason I became obsessed with doll making over the past 24 hours. I spent a rainy/snowy day yesterday doing research into what would be involved to make porcelain dolls from molds...decided nevermind...and bought one porcelain "blank" to try to create from that step and two kits that are painted but otherwise need to be put together. I'm really looking forward to trying the wigging. I'd love a maid in my dollhouse since I can't have one in real life :)  

That's why I got started with polymer clay.

• Like 1

Loving everyone's stuff! I'm getting back in the groove. I desperately need to clean up the craft room so I can get back to work. I've not got to get it organized so I can switch between some commission sewing I need to do and also have room for all the house stuff! I did go out and finally get some charcoal colored grout for the main room. I just need to seal up the tiles so I can do that. I am totally paralyzed about what to do for the furniture in living room. I'm actually thinking about getting an outdoor set and making cushions. Seems like that's what would be in a warm climate home. I've seen heavy leather couches when I search "Spanish style" but I'm not feeling that. What do you guys think? 

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

I am totally paralyzed about what to do for the furniture in living room. I'm actually thinking about getting an outdoor set and making cushions. Seems like that's what would be in a warm climate home. on seI've seen heavy leather couches when I search "Spanish style" but I'm not feeling that. What do you guys think? 

Search holiday house listings in spain or even the region you are "building" in and see if they have anything interesting.. try airbnb or VRBO.... nothing on pinterest that interested you?

I think this is a nice room.. that an older lady living in the hills might have. You could modernise the fabrics so it's not so dark & change elements... and also.. there are lots of lovely modern interiors in Spain.. you don't have to be wedded to complete spanish style. :D

Image result for spanish holiday house interior  

Picture from Interhome

Or if she's a bit more modern and into white this andalusian place.. 

Related image

And I think she needs one of these on her pergola. :D

Image result for spanish holiday house interior

2 hours ago, SewMini said:

Loving everyone's stuff! I'm getting back in the groove. I desperately need to clean up the craft room so I can get back to work. I've not got to get it organized so I can switch between some commission sewing I need to do and also have room for all the house stuff! I did go out and finally get some charcoal colored grout for the main room. I just need to seal up the tiles so I can do that. I am totally paralyzed about what to do for the furniture in living room. I'm actually thinking about getting an outdoor set and making cushions. Seems like that's what would be in a warm climate home. I've seen heavy leather couches when I search "Spanish style" but I'm not feeling that. What do you guys think? 

This is what I did for la sala in my haciendita:

gallery_8_1766_24486.jpgreupholstered furniture and new rug II

• Like 1

Alright, tried to update where I was at a couple of days ago and then when I went to submit my entire entry was deleted. So going to try this again really quick while waiting for paint stripper to work on my 1:6 rehab house. If that works I'm hoping to start applying my handcut veneer strips(curly maple) so there are some lovely wood floors. I've also cut 2 inch squares of a grey marble wallpaper to use as flooring for the bathroom.

In regards to my Blueberry Pie Townhome build I have all of the floors in as well as the top roof. Having to work on cleanup in the shop today to find where the devil I put my hinges to attach the front roof... or just break down and go digging through the stash, b/c I'm positive I have more elsewhere.

Plum Pudding rehab now has wallpaper done in all rooms, and the beadboard in the kitchen has the last piece drying. All that's really left to do with this house now is to install the trim, and finish up with some touch up paint on the exterior. Hoping to both take and upload photos here shortly to actually update each album for these houses.

hi all,

I am making great progress in getting the niche back up and working...tonight he carried the rest of the large boxes down for me to unpack...then the odds and ends...I do have my sewing corner set up and have used it for my real life curtains in the new house...so progress while slow is on going...it will be nice so have it set up...all the work going on is inspirational and makes me itchy for my paint and glue!:scooter:

• Like 2

Good job on the bricks MaryBeth!

Nutti I'm so excited for you and your new space.

Yesterday was  another productive day. Yay. But there's still that one room that is completely blank. I just can't figure out or decide what to do with it. But I have only tonight, so I better figure something out! I have literally done everything else, all that's left is that room and another coat of paint on my sorry excuse for a door I made. At least it's not a big hole in the wall anymore.

Oh, and y'all should have seen the look on Brennen's face when I asked him to take a dollhouse to school on Friday!!

Oh Holly... This house has been such a pain! Only a couple rooms have been talkative. And this last room is so so big, it takes more than the "standard" amount of wallpaper and floor. Since it's the attic, I figure it is appropriate to use "reclaimed wood" and I will use all the scraps from the other floors, so there will be two complimentary colors of wood. I have some plain beige paper that will balance the other room in the attic nicely, and I have enough. And the measurements seem to be working out serendipitously so that's nice. I will at least do the sloped parts with that, and then take a look to see if that is too blah for the whole room. I would like to maybe add a little oomph to the walls, but we'll see what happens!