What's everyone working on?

4 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

I completed my Fairfield Half Scale house!   ( Well, not always complete I always find things to add!) 
Please view in my blog.  Thank you for looking!

http://roxysmm.blogspot.com/2016/04/fairfield-half-scale-victorian-dollhouse.html

Wow, Roxy! It turned out so good! You found such awesome furniture and accessories for it, and I love the colors and finishes!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Pretty, Roxy!  Jodi, I like the marble on your room divider.

Thanks, Holly! It does look like marble in this photo, but it is actually just the wood grain. I haven't been able to get the painting started on it because my To Do list of real life stuff has me booked. So much for a lazy summer!

So today I grouted the last of the bricks on the Allison.   Once again I had left over grout. (Found out the hard way it doesn't store at all).   So.......not wanting to throw in the trash, I added a bit of gray and black paint. Took bits in my hand, yes very messy, rolled them into a sorta ball,  and....SPLAT, on a piece of parchment paper.   Instant stepping stones.  I'll put pictures on pinterest in a few.  Under the Allison,  I think

The stepping stone idea!  Brilliant!

ive been at my daughters most of the month, made it home only to turn around and go back!  They are moving to a new state, new job, and had two weeks to get house on market!

so no mini therapy for me yet!  I check each day and live thru you guys!  Thank you!

but today!!  Hah I was sent to the store and saw a garage sale, said, hmmmm .... pulled over in my paint spatter clothes!   So I found two huge boxes! Of random furniture and minis.  I offered the lady $50 for all of it, cause I was thinking, I'm in a hurry and she said, well, I'm not prepared to take that offer, I'm selling for a dollar a piece.  I sat down and sorted out the boxes into one box, all the nonbroken and fun pieces, some vintage, some hobby lobby type, some homemade, some chrysbon kits, and .... I said I think there are 28 large pieces, 10 small ones and a bag of minis and she said $25!  

I said! Sure!  So, I'm confused by that, truthfully,  but, saved me $25, and I didn't take home any junk.  

Also, did not apologize to my kids for taking longer than expected to run to hardware store, they saw me carrying in my giant box of tiny fun and said - ahhh that's why you took so long! 

And last week when I was here I told a lady I love dollhouses, she said, I have some things! Meet me later I'll sell you a deal on a box.  It was full of doors, windows, screen doors, kitchen cabinets - crazy!  I bought the whole box!

also, Tuesday I met a friend in OKC, and her mom, we decided to do something mini, and the three of us got together and made 1 hollyhock, and chatted like crazy! Such fun!

so, breaks over - back to painting walls

We are out of school Monday for the holiday, then two more half days until I'm done for the summer!  On the agenda this weekend is to wash/scrub the San Fran 550 I got from Craig's List.  I still don't know what theme, era, etc this house is going to be, but the least I can do is get it scrubbed so I can begin repainting the exterior (I did finally decide on a color scheme)  At this point I am having the paralyzing indecisiveness that comes every single time I think about actually decorating a house.  In fact, one reason I have so many houses "in progress" is that it is so difficult for me to decide on decorating/era/theme, etc.

36 minutes ago, vbharrington said:

...At this point I am having the paralyzing indecisiveness that comes every single time I think about actually decorating a house.  In fact, one reason I have so many houses "in progress" is that it is so difficult for me to decide on decorating/era/theme, etc.

It sounds as if your houses haven't begun to speak to you yet.

• Like 1

Surfacing on the forum to say that I haven't had time to do anything in miniature for a while. Real life/day job is getting in the way. But we're getting the new guy trained and (hopefully) soon I will have my days off back.

All my projects are just sitting in forlorn piles around my house (it looks like a dollhouse store barfed in my living room, but it could be worse. It's BEEN worse. :roflmao: )

So now I'm back lurking on the forum, living vicariously through all y'all. :) Thanks for being here for my miniature fix, you guys. :)

• Like 2

Had this Idea for how to make one of those "flat" yet curved flower/rose basket, and Idea  today:

the varnish is still drying, hence the shine on it. Used a thinner cake wire for this than I have used before. 

large.IMG_0466.JPG.a66e5fd6707482bf9024b

• Like 5

Anna your basket is perfect, you going to sell your work?

I primed and painted the ceilings for my Lawbre Chateau, weather was perfect for that. I also got 2 coats of paint on a bunch ofor chair rail, baseboard and crown for my country french.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

This morning I woke up wanting some of my dearest sister's carrot cake.  Since she is no longer withbus, I started making some.....out of polymer clay.   They need a bit more details before I bake them.   (Pinterest. ..under polymer clay)

Lawanda your polymere clay food gets better and better...Good job! Now I really want some real carrot cake.

• Like 1

I've not posted in a bit, but still here and definitely working on minis. Most recently have been working on some custom parquet tiles for one of my 1:12 houses. Using some Greenleaf square tiles as the start, and then etching and staining them. Loving how they're turning out! In addition, I had put out a request for help in locating directions for the Sweetheart by DuraCraft. No one was able to offer them to me, so I've been keeping my eye on Ebay and scanning to see if anyone may put them up in one of their auctions. Sure enough got lucky the other day and was able to copy the directions and blow them up in one of my photo viewers so I was able to figure out that I was missing a couple pieces of trim, but otherwise had all the pieces needed to build this little house. Knowing that I already have too many projects to count though -- well you know I had to order those trim pieces and start putting it together. lol I'm thinking it'll be a Christmas themed house, not sure if I'll actually do it up as Santa's cottage or perhaps his workshop -- but that's where I'm leaning.

As for the Plum Pudding rehab, all that I'm waiting for to finish that up is a set of french doors for the balcony and then it will be officially done and I will no longer consider it to be in the "building" stage. Will be nice to have it done and off of my workbench. In regards to my 1:6 rehab, I've given up trying to get the walls perfectly smooth by sanding -- I don't know who the original builder/decorator was, but they used incredibly thick and glossy paint. I decided after trying it, since I've at least gotten the paint roughed up with what sanding I did do trying to smooth it out that I am going to apply wallpaper liner and then for the rooms that aren't getting wallpaper I can paint the walls and thankfully have them look smooth. Technically speaking I feel like I'm getting pretty close to having the 1:6 out of the shop as well. That means I'll get a lot more floor space back for me and my helper to move around more easily. As my Lucy has gotten to over 100 lbs now she takes up more floor space when she's trying to help. lol

Hope everyone has a lovely and safe weekend and love seeing what everyone else has been up to!

• Like 1

Today was not a good day - my oldest son, who is 20, is struggling to find his path in life.  Almost 3 months ago he moved to AL to live with his father and stepmother, got a job and started working.  He's decided to move back here to SC, but his father is making it very hard on him.  The drama there has worried and upset me, plus unresolved issues from before he moved has caused a major fight between my husband and I.  I need all the prayers, good thoughts, etc. I can get.  

I did manage to get the lace off of the windows of the SF 550 yesterday.  I tried using a hair dryer but even on low it seemed like it was too hot for the plastic windows.  I also scrubbed the house on the outside with a magic eraser and hot water, and removed as much of the inside wall papers as I could.  I did manage to get the 1st floor staircase out - it was nailed into place.  One thing I can say about this house, so far it seems like it is pretty sturdy.  I've also pretty much decided to cut away the interior "tower" wall from the third floor, to make the "tower room" and the adjoining room one large room.  

• Like 1

Vickie, my thoughts are with you. It's very hard to see an adult child struggle, and it can certainly cause tension for everyone else. I hope everything works itself out. Is the SF a new house? I've been MIA for a while, so no clue what everyone is doing.

1 hour ago, vbharrington said:

Today was not a good day - my oldest son, who is 20, is struggling to find his path in life.  Almost 3 months ago he moved to AL to live with his father and stepmother, got a job and started working.  He's decided to move back here to SC, but his father is making it very hard on him.  The drama there has worried and upset me, plus unresolved issues from before he moved has caused a major fight between my husband and I.  I need all the prayers, good thoughts, etc. I can get.  

I did manage to get the lace off of the windows of the SF 550 yesterday.  I tried using a hair dryer but even on low it seemed like it was too hot for the plastic windows.  I also scrubbed the house on the outside with a magic eraser and hot water, and removed as much of the inside wall papers as I could.  I did manage to get the 1st floor staircase out - it was nailed into place.  One thing I can say about this house, so far it seems like it is pretty sturdy.  I've also pretty much decided to cut away the interior "tower" wall from the third floor, to make the "tower room" and the adjoining room one large room.  

I have  20 year old as well, only a girl. I'll be praying for the both of you. These years are some of the hardest because they are legally an adult but  maturity wise they still do adolescent things.

• Like 1

Oh Vickie, I'm so sorry, hope everything works out soon! My son just turned 21, and it looks like he will be staying home all summer with no job. So that has caused a little tension. But our dog was just diagnosed with diabetes last week, so it's actually been good having him home to help take care of her, as she can't hold her bladder or go up and down steps to go outside. 

This weekend I put together a Braxton Payne quarter scale kitchen roombox. It's pretty cute I guess. I don't have any accessories or anything for it, so I guess I'll work on finding/making some things. I got some quarter scale furniture kits for a little Victorian house I built a couple months back, so I hope to work on those some tomorrow.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, miniaddicted said:

Anna your basket is perfect, you going to sell your work?

I primed and painted the ceilings for my Lawbre Chateau, weather was perfect for that. I also got 2 coats of paint on a bunch ofor chair rail, baseboard and crown for my country french.

Thank you! I Have Done swaps with wicker items and sold a few pet beds on a Swedish FB forum, so sort of selling. :) 

hugs

• Like 1

I am cautiously announcing that I am starting a new build!  Shhhh ... don't want to jinx it!  I have a kit for a Victorian Store that I think I'd like to make a Bed and Breakfast rather than a traditional store. It's 1:48 scale which I have not worked with yet, but it should be a lot roomier than the 1:144 scales I usually do!   

Has anyone on the forum made a B&B?  Here's a picture of the inside I have to work with ... 

Victorian Store Interior

• Like 2