What's everyone working on?

On 5/9/2017, 8:42:47, Elsbeth said:

Life has been in the way, totaling depressing when reality is more important than building my house.  I've dry fit everything and now I think I should lay the first floor tiles....any pointers?

I finally tackled what I had been dreading with the Cape May.  The addition has a flat roof and I covered it in copper.  It actually went much easier than I thought as the copper was workable enough to bend over the ribs I had glued in place.  Now the edges are taped down, and the rest is weighted with books to dry until tomorrow.  I am anxious now to try Kathy's aging technique!

• Like 2

Dry-fit Dry-fit Dry-fit ...today I disassembled the entire house (San Franciscan 555) to fix an issue on the third floor not sitting level.  I cut off the 1/4 rails to reposition them and now I will reassemble in Dri-Fit to finish dry-fitting the top floor ...good grief.  Better now then crying later, right?

• Like 1

Can't say I've been out in the shop all too much recently to work on the 1:6 house, b/c apparently as I'm aging I'm developing allergies I never had -- i.e. pollen is kicking my butt lately. Sooo, I was smart and moved that project into my work area in my designated craft area in the house. Main points I've managed is to get the last veneer strip laid for the bottom floor(so grateful for that!), also went ahead today b/c my second floor was still bothering me -- just wasn't as smooth as I really wanted. I had already polyurethaned it, sanded, and poly'd it again so today I went ahead and did a paste finishing wax rubbed in -- and I'm in love with that floor now! Definitely need to remember that wax more often! Super smooth, and after 15 minutes it's not coming off.  :)  In addition I was still trying to figure out how not to use the same trim in every room -- didn't have too much to worry about in regards to the "normal" windows, they didn't come with trim. Knew I'd have to make my own(lots of miter cuts, of which I'm not a big fan), but got the trim done for the windows in the bay. Realized I didn't have enough of that to trim the windows in the tower, but did realize that some of the homemade siding I have that was cut at I believe a 3 degree angle -- that's going to be perfect. So I'll measure out what I need out of that and get that trim cut tomorrow. Oh, and last thing I can say I've managed to do is glue together an optional carpet for one of the second floor rooms. I've glued together pieces of the baseboard and chair rail I had ordered previously and used in other rooms, but in doing this it gives the baseboard just enough room to slide the carpet in if wanted or go ahead and pull it out and just have the wood floor. Figure the house is going to a little girl, she should definitely have the ability to change things as she likes without a whole lot of fuss or trouble. This seemed to be the answer to that, so was really glad I took the time to figure out how to manage it. 

• Like 1

In between sorting through things to get organiserad with the New chest of drawers etc I am adding. Coat or two of gesso as well as sandning in between. i have filled in a couple of that Windows herre I needed a bit mor Wall height and I Will probably shape of a few more along the way.

large.IMG_0534.JPG.67e6276776fce7d540468

Sketching a few ideas on how the front might end up looking. Need to look into the lamparrangement too and how to achieve the slightly elevarbete front I want to achieve.large.IMG_0552.JPG.cbab5217193e30810d9aa

I purchased a past spring fling house off eBay a while back.  Wasn't sure what I was going to actually do with it, then Saturday when we were driving around the lake area I saw an old  (really old), BBQ place.  Now I know what it's destination will be.   Now I have to practice on my polymer clay pulled pork and fries....lol

• Like 3

Hi, Kelli--very interested in your use of fabric wall covering--what adhesive did you use?

I have wallpaper paste, of course, and regular mod podge and mod podge for fabric--I'm not ready to do the (master bed) room yet, but plan to do it in a pink Chinese silk brocade print I brought to my Mom from Hong Kong in 1984, from which she made a skirt! The room is large, and the skirt isn't terribly, with seams and darts interrupting the straight flow of print, so I don't have a lot of room for trial and error re adhesive--

I'd love to know what you used, plus hear from others who covered walls with fabric--mod podge recommends painting the fabric with product before cutting, to keep it from raveling, but also recommends using spray starch after gluing, to eliminate tackiness--I can't picture spraying in the small space, nor do I want permanent tackiness! Help!

thanks,

----------------------

Hi, Lawanda--enjoy your beautiful quilt!

---------------------

Tiaannabelle's Mom

(Mary Helen)

4 minutes ago, Tiaannabelle's Mom said:

I'd love to know what ... others who covered walls with fabric--mod podge recommends painting the fabric with product before cutting, to keep it from raveling, but also recommends using spray starch after gluing, to eliminate tackiness--I can't picture spraying in the small space, nor do I want permanent tackiness! Help!

Hi, Mary Helen, and welcome to the forum. I have successfully used liquid starch to adhere cotton fabric to both dollhouse walls and real house cupboards. It holds well, can be removed by gently pulling it loose, and does not change the surface texture. The trick is to paint a thin layer of the starch on the wall and then gently press the precut cloth in place. (Make paper templates to cut the cloth.) Starch too thick may soak through the silk. It doesn't take much. 

Whatever you use, I'd test it to be sure the glue doesn't soak through the silk to leave dark spots. You may need to spray the back of the cloth with several light coats of an artists's spray fixative to seal it. 

You can also iron the cloth onto the plastic side of freezer paper and glue the paper side to the wall. 

Hi Mary Helen, nice to meet you virtually speaking! In regards to my fabric wall, I didn't use cotton fabric and wasn't too sure about the spray starch working on the fabric I was using. As it was fabric sample and I didn't have any more of that particular one, I used the spray fixative on the back of it and then ran a very thin bead of Elmer's Glue All(white pva) and was incredibly grateful that it not only glued to the wall perfectly but didn't leave a line on the fabric. As you're working with silk I would definitely see about trying whatever method on a test spot first to make sure it doesn't bleed through!

Thanks, Kelli--I'll definitely test! The inside side wall is removable, so after testing, I'll use it as a horizontal surface to "become expert"! Before doing the stationary inside walls.

Been reading some of the responses to "what are you working on"--how fascinating this site is!

mary helen

• Like 1

Hi, Mary Helen.  I have used Elmer's all-purpose glue thinned a little with water to hang polyester fabric:

Decorating the bedroom

When you have a few minutes I hope you will post an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.

8 hours ago, Tiaannabelle's Mom said:

...i don't know how to post in the newcomers forum! I'm very new, and haven't figured out this site yet!

mary helen

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=forums&id=15  On the right hand side above the topics list there is a green button that says "Start new topic" (this is true for any of the forums you might want to start a topic).  When you push it, you will get the regular dialog box plus a box for the topic heading.

So the thought process of the transformation if the bus kit into a housing-bus so to speak is slowly coming together regarding the general lat out which might affekt The Windows area where the bed area Will be.

thoughts and input is more Than welcome as I am contemplating fill in a small part of a window and then take a way to partitions as to get a large window area over the bed.

large.IMG_0581.JPG.51a8e89b8c12bf881365b

• Like 1

I was unhappy with my colonial kitchen table. It was too big and slightly off in color. Since I had another unpainted table I took it apart, cut it down to make it an inch shorter and hand painted it in the right shade of red. This one looks much better. I should be able to start on the floorboards this weekend. Not really much to show picturewise.

• Like 1

What's with me and stairs??   I rebuilt and stairs in the Fairfield 3 times and now I rebuilt the stairs in my RGT Colonial twice!  I do like them better.   I wish I could get them right the first time!!!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

What's with me and stairs??   I rebuilt and stairs in the Fairfield 3 times and now I rebuilt the stairs in my RGT Colonial twice!  I do like them better.   I wish I could get them right the first time!!!  

Picky, picky, picky!