What's everyone working on?

Just posted some of my backlog of stained glass photos this morning. I'm on break from it at the moment, as it's too hot to work in my garage space. So, I've been doing lots of needlework, and pattern-making instead. Keeping busy with planning other projects too. So you can understand why it's been some time since I was last on here!

7 minutes ago, chapchap73 said:

Just a quick note for anyone who may be looking for accessories. Hallmark put out a mini ornament this year that;s the perfect 1:12 size for a kids room. I had one of these phones when I was a little girl. The website pics make it seem large, but it's just perfect.

Our kids also had one of those!  That wee ornament co$ts more than the original toy did!

Just started a new album for my mini needlework. I only have so many stitched so far, but will try to update periodically. Currently I'm stitching a Native American design, in lovely earth tones with a few pops of green and a dark blue border. Keeping myself cold and comfy while I stitch. Oh, and I have a birthday at the end of the week. My parents and I are going out to dinner on Friday. Turning 34, and I don't feel it!

• Like 2

I've fallen down the 1:48 rabbit hole and I can't get out! This tiny world has  existed for ages, I just didn't see it amidst the 1:12 things...and now I'm addicted. I also think 3D printing has made 1:48 noticeable again - BUT...for all that 3D printing, those old 1:48 brown plastic furniture kits are still the bomb. After 40 some years. Those were/are well made.

• Like 3

So I have a few other projects I need to complete before I can get back to any of my dollhouses, but I'm pondering something. One of those projects I need to finish is cleaning out my garage, and yesterday I came across an old metal and glass mobile that was rusted and hopelessly tangled. I salvaged the glass pieces, and one of them is a deep blue disk with a raised design on it. It's about 2.5" in diameter and 1/4" thick around the rim, which is the thickest part. 

I'm wondering if I could use it as a window, especially under an eave or gable. One possibility: cut an opening the window's size and glue it in, then frame it out. I don't know if a wall of one of the Greenleaf/Corona kits could actually support it over time, though: it's relatively heavy so if I did this it would probably be in one of my other houses. Second possibility: because of the way the mobile was constructed, there are holes drilled into the rim to hold the wire. I wonder if I could somehow "pin hinge" it (into a structure with 3/8" thick walls at least) so that it would "open" by turning/spinning. I don't know if I can explain exactly what I mean, but I'm really tempted to try because heck, how funky would that be? Now I just have to figure out which house it would fit into best...

...or start a whole new project just to feature that window. :)

• Like 3

Hi, Mary--what a cool idea! I like the idea of a stationary window, but agree the Greenleaf wall might not support it--what about a sky light into an attic room? You could glue a couple of sheets of balsa wood inside before making the cut--if the roof is shingled, that would lend support.

mary helen

• Like 1

Well I could be very busy in a couple of days. I think in my first post I mentioned I had built a Piercea long time ago but was unhappy with the plywood and got rid of it..that was years ago. Then I bought my second only house Grosvenor Hall which I am working on, very formal, very heavy MDF and it will be a very long term project.

Then I started to read all your lively posts and you got me thinking, maybe it was my fault that the Pierce was not right so I decided I would give ply another go. First stop e bay, then Craigslist..oh ho.. I found three Greenleaf around me and I bought them.  They are the Willowcrest, the Westville and the Chantilly and very seriously contemplating the Fairfield from back east as that is my maiden name.. then that takes me to 1/24 th scale..oops better not go there.

Could be very busy very shortly.

XX Jeannine

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I've fallen down the 1:48 rabbit hole and I can't get out! This tiny world has  existed for ages, I just didn't see it amidst the 1:12 things...and now I'm addicted. I also think 3D printing has made 1:48 noticeable again - BUT...for all that 3D printing, those old 1:48 brown plastic furniture kits are still the bomb. After 40 some years. Those were/are well made.

You can also tweak that itty furniture to individualize it; bit of tiny lace & fabric scrap to dress the bed or  chair for instance.

4 hours ago, MaryKate said:

So I have a few other projects I need to complete before I can get back to any of my dollhouses, but I'm pondering something. One of those projects I need to finish is cleaning out my garage, and yesterday I came across an old metal and glass mobile that was rusted and hopelessly tangled. I salvaged the glass pieces, and one of them is a deep blue disk with a raised design on it. It's about 2.5" in diameter and 1/4" thick around the rim, which is the thickest part. 

I'm wondering if I could use it as a window, especially under an eave or gable. One possibility: cut an opening the window's size and glue it in, then frame it out. I don't know if a wall of one of the Greenleaf/Corona kits could actually support it over time, though: it's relatively heavy so if I did this it would probably be in one of my other houses. Second possibility: because of the way the mobile was constructed, there are holes drilled into the rim to hold the wire. I wonder if I could somehow "pin hinge" it (into a structure with 3/8" thick walls at least) so that it would "open" by turning/spinning. I don't know if I can explain exactly what I mean, but I'm really tempted to try because heck, how funky would that be? Now I just have to figure out which house it would fit into best...

...or start a whole new project just to feature that window. :)

It could be fiddly, but if you make frames for the interior & exterior of the window from 1/8 basswood you would have the 3/8" thickness to pinhinge your blue glass window.

• Like 1

Not much new to report. Still adding wood to the Pollock build, finally got the little wall that the prior owner added out of the Bayberry bedroom, and bought some fiddly things for the barn. Slowly, slowly making progress.

So, finally bought the Backyard Bungalow kit on the last HBS sale. I've always liked the structure, and I do like the idea of a one-room build, but never took the plunge because I had zero inspiration for the kit. No idea at all what I'd like it to be. Until last night. At bedtime. Ugh! Started ripping out catalogue pages and starting an idea file. That build is far, far off, but at least now I have some direction.   

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Anna, I love the wee balls of yarn!

Thank you Holly! Had this Idea for how to make them, ie start with a straw and then used embroidery floss on an embroidery needle (not a sharp tippen one). Only takes a few minuters to make a skein this way. 

Hugs

Glencroft is done and delivered.  Niece is ecstatic.   She posted pictures on her Facebook page and said how beautiful it is.. .......to my horror, the fence gate was missing and I was on the way back to MO.  Found it on the floor of the car in the back seat.  Will mail to her tomorrow. 

• Like 5