What's everyone working on?

Can't say I've done too much in mini of late, other than pieced together a Duracraft Lafayette and primed it the other day. Still have the 1:6 Barbie Victorian house here... waiting for it to be gone. lol It's just such a big house and takes up a lot of room that I would love to see it go to it's new owner and be loved, b/c at this point I really just want it gone. (Sad I know) Anyways, the Lafayette walls are all together and flooring for the second floor already done, though not glued in place. I've got an insane amount of slate here and now have a couple of blades to cut it. If we manage to get a day that's not raining and just humid enough to make it feel like you're breathing in pure water I hope to get out and cut my own slate flooring pieces. Also going to try my hand at PaperClay and doing some stonework and turning the Lafayette into a little stone cottage(I hope).

Lawanda, I agree moving is never fun but think of the pleasure you'll have when it's done and over and your babies are set up in their new home!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Didn't get to post office today.   Mini movers came.  7 houses if furniture and accessories packed.  Empty houses set on one really big table.  I'm depressed. I already miss my babies in their beauty.  Really hate moving.

Lawanda, I'm feeling your pain. I missed the news of your move. Where are you going? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Lawanda, I'm feeling your pain. I missed the news of your move. Where are you going? 

Don't have a date yet.  He said today he's going to put in his retirement papers in in the next 2 months.  Biloxi,  ocean springs area is his choice.  Mostly because of the big VA hospital there for my ticker

I am having to push myself to work on my Grosvenor Hall.the shell is all up and I am almost finished giving a coat of flat as a sealer all through but.... I have decided I do not like the basement and am at a loss as to what to do and now I seem to have gone right off the house. The main house is fine, but the basement is sort of odd. it has 4 rooms two at the back and two at the front, then these  huge stairs sit at the  front on an odd build of stairs.  The problem is the odd build has to be lifted out of the way to access, then the stairs swing out. So in reality the 4 rooms in the basement are not visible.. To make matters worse, when I bought the kits, the basement came minus some pieces but because I had it for more than a year before I opened it I didn't know, when I did and I contacted the company it had changed hands, the new owners told me if they got a box with damaged items in they would let me have spares but they didn't have the spares on hand I needed.. I waited almost 2 years then broke down and bought another basement. Now I have almost two . The missing parts were the large flat pieces so I have loads of extras of all the other stuff..very frustrating.. anyway I should stop moaning. I have now decided I don't like the basement at all, but half of me says I should do it anyway and half of me says not.. If I could think of a way to use up the basement parts to make something else  I may be able to decide. I had such plans for this house too. I am gradually making all the furniture, mainly Chippendale from the House on Miniatures kits I have collected since the 70's...oh dear so silly but tears are coming now, I feel like setting fire to the lot..I must give myself a strong talking to.

But to get back to the post., I am still slowly working on my Grosvenor, in about a week I may be in a position to start doing the ceillings.I wish I could take pictures..maybe I can find some on the net to download and you will see what I mean,

• Like 1

Oh I am so sorry to hear your upset with the basement.  I think we all have tears at one point or another.  Mine were not that long ago :)  Just tell yourself, it is only a dollhouse, there are worse things.  Can you make it without the basement.  Or could you alter it somehow not to have the huge stairs.  I am sure there are enough smart people here to help you figure it out. (I am not one of them sorry). Hugs Things will work out 

I think if I were to build a house with a basement I'd use it for the kitchen, pantry, scullery and laundry/ boiler room and make those big front stairs separate so they butt up to the front of the house when it's closed.

logcabin.png.05ed34baab3f2a38ce06f929985

Tonight I made a little log cabin block just as a test to see if it could be done that small.  I did it using the non-English paper piecing method (it's hard to explain, but the design is drawn on a piece of paper, and the cloth is placed underneath it.  You sew on the drawn lines.  It's a way to get accurate seams on small pieces).  It's an inch and a half wide (not counting the seam allowances) with 1/8 inch wide logs so 9 inches square at 1/6 scale.  I did it in thin silk because I figured regular cotton cloth would end up way too bulky.  I wanted to see just how stiff it would come out, and I guess it's not too bad.  I was wondering about making a quilt at 1/6 scale using this method.

I suppose if I don't make a whole quilt I could make this into a potholder. :)

Edited by Thalia
  • Like 3

1st  picture shows full and basement closed

2nd picture to the right shows house with no basement closed

3rd picture shows house with no basement open

4th pictures full house with basement but with stairs changed

5th picture shows a close up of the stairs the other rooms are behind this and access is made by lifting the columned part up and out of the way than the stairs open at each side and swing out., my biggest problem is that with the  basement in as it should be the house sticks out almost 40 inches

• Like 1

I finished the Native American style rug! Now to find the time to take a picture of it. I'll go post a few more other rugs in my stitching album. I also started a new project. This one more of a Grecian/Classical style. Sage green wreaths with little white blooms and a twisted ribbon border. I saw something like it on ebay some time ago, but added the border from one of my mini stitching books to make it a little bigger.

• Like 1

20 boxed as of this morning, 9 to go.  This total doesn't include the ones I built, then gave to family and friends.  Just went back at my pictures...i have built then given away around 20 other houses.  Until I put it on paper, I didn't realize, that's around 50 I've built.  Only one, the Newberg, was built before I retired.  49 houses in 3 years.  Nope folks I DO NOT have a life. 

Edited by L Swearengin
Correct post
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

20 boxed as of this morning, 9 to go.  This total doesn't include the ones I built, then gave to family and friends.  Just went back at my pictures...i have built then given away around 20 other houses.  Until I put it on paper, I didn't realize, that's around 50 I've built.  Only one, the Newberg, was built before I retired.  49 houses in 3 years.  Nope folks I DO NOT have a life. 

Great job, Lawanda! That's a lot of work!

You could open up a museum with all of those houses! Bet it keeps you out of trouble, though! :drool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L Swearengin said:

There is one more in my collection. But I did not build it.  It is a willocrest built by Gina Moore.  It outshines all on mine.  Her work is fantastic

I love looking at your Pinterest boards. There is a ton of inspiration and eye-candy to behold!

• Like 1

I managed to work on the roof on my half scale colonial this afternoon.  We have our daily Monsoons with thunderstorms so I went back to my work area with every intention of cleaning up.   My hands hurt so badly when I shingle with those tiny shingles so I came up with an alternative roof covering.   I think it fits pretty well with my theme.   No pictures yet but I am pleased.   :)

2 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Been there before many times.   Good luck getting it all in place and the go enjoy!!!   :)

• Like 1

I've lost count how many houses I have done.  Too many moves!   I have some in boxes that I haven't seen in 5 years plus several more that I gave away or sold.  I am guessing about 50 or more if you count the smaller projects!   Wish I had photos of some of the ones I no longer have.   We might have to add an addition to the house if I build any more!!! :D

Sorry for all the posts the editor kept stopping when I tried to continue.

• Like 2

Well, for those who are keeping count, I will not be working on the Glencroft anymore. Lisa was happy with the one her husband got her, so the one I got from Elsbeth to give to Lisa reverted back to me. After being told I had "too much stuff in my room", I knew I had to get rid of some houses. So someone took the Glencroft off my hands and they want to finish it as a hobby and someone else wants to buy Bramble and finish it for their daughter by Christmas. The Arthur is still at Lisa's, the shadowbox is ready to hang on the wall, and the Willowcrest and the trailer are still boxed under the sofa. I should be working on one of those, but I really wanted something that wasn't so complicated right now. Enter this house:

frontconner-500x650.jpg.ca146238b3a5c75e

detail2-500x650.jpg.59e162652767f76c75d2

I'm going to make a stab at putting it together tomorrow. And I'm going to make this one easy on myself. I'm only adding one extra stairwell and maybe two windows to the house. Otherwise, it won't be bashed. I know, shocker, huh? I may not even nail this one together.

It's a very small house, only 15" deep and 25 3/4" wide and that width includes the front steps. Anyway, we'll see what I can get done with this one.

And since it's about half the size of Bramble, so no one should be telling me it's too big for the room.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Well, for those who are keeping count, I will not be working on the Glencroft anymore. Lisa was happy with the one her husband got her, so the one I got from Elsbeth to give to Lisa reverted back to me. After being told I had "too much stuff in my room", I knew I had to get rid of some houses. So someone took the Glencroft off my hands and they want to finish it as a hobby and someone else wants to buy Bramble and finish it for their daughter by Christmas. The Arthur is still at Lisa's, the shadowbox is ready to hang on the wall, and the Willowcrest and the trailer are still boxed under the sofa. I should be working on one of those, but I really wanted something that wasn't so complicated right now. Enter this house:

frontconner-500x650.jpg.ca146238b3a5c75e

detail2-500x650.jpg.59e162652767f76c75d2

I'm going to make a stab at putting it together tomorrow. And I'm going to make this one easy on myself. I'm only adding one extra stairwell and maybe two windows to the house. Otherwise, it won't be bashed. I know, shocker, huh? I may not even nail this one together.

It's a very small house, only 15" deep and 25 3/4" wide and that width includes the front steps. Anyway, we'll see what I can get done with this one.

And since it's about half the size of Bramble, so no one should be telling me it's too big for the room.

I love it. What house is that?!? I love all the little staircases and the entry stairs...I haven't ever seen this house. Do tell us what it is?!?!!!

It doesn't need any bashing...it has the basement and everything going for it! It is so CUTE. I have a slim/narrow 4 story house with 1 room and hall on each level (plus stairs) and I just love it - there is something about less is more sometimes. 

• Like 1

It's a Majestic Mansions dollhouse, probably one of their smallest and certainly their cheapest. I think I may finish it as my Mediterranean Tuscan house. I'll stucco it all over and barrel tile the roof. The front porch might get added arches instead of posts. I love the porch the way it is, so I'm pretty undecided about that.

On the basement level, I'll have a staircase coming down into the room with the window and that will be the living room/library/study. I'll move the interior wall back so the room is bigger and the second room on that level will be a little wine cellar with a back door.

The second level where the front door is will be one large kitchen/dining room combo and the top floor will be a bedroom and bathroom.

I'm envisioning flower pots at the bottom of the stairs and on the other two porches. Tile and wrought iron, here we come!

I was originally going to get it to add to Bramble, since Bramble had a basement, too. This would have been a perfect add on. But I didn't have the room and then management had a hissy fit about all the stuff I had (they wanted me to get rid of all my miniature catalogs - asked if I ever read them!?!) and that "huge dollhouse" I had in my room. I was going to just get a storage unit, but when someone wanted the Glencroft and someone else wanted to buy Bramble, I decided to put off getting a storage unit as long as I could, let those two go, and get this one.

• Like 2

Slowly making progress on my B&B - quarter scale.  According to my deadline calendar I have 10 days left to finish it. I am planning to submit it to our Hobby Hall at the State Fair. 

I bought 4 of these little umbrella tables which only required attaching the post to the table and the umbrella. Unfortunately, the pole is a flexible plastic and (a) the glue wouldn't hold it and (b) when I got it sort-of stuck together the pole bent. So I disassembled them, peeled off the glue, tossed the original poles, and replaced them with toothpicks. Then used hot glue to fuse it all together.  Much better!  These will go in the back yard.

large.597e1fdd88a1f_IMG_20170729_2208511large.597e1dbecc320_IMG_20170730_1045312

Got most of the windows installed last night. Still lack 4 little side windows for the 2 bay windows (not shown) and the 3 dormers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CheckMouse said:

Slowly making progress on my B&B - quarter scale.  According to my deadline calendar I have 10 days left to finish it. I am planning to submit it to our Hobby Hall at the State Fair. 

I bought 4 of these little umbrella tables which only required attaching the post to the table and the umbrella. Unfortunately, the pole is a flexible plastic and (a) the glue wouldn't hold it and (b) when I got it sort-of stuck together the pole bent. So I disassembled them, peeled off the glue, tossed the original poles, and replaced them with toothpicks. Then used hot glue to fuse it all together.  Much better!  These will go in the back yard.

Got most of the windows installed last night. Still lack 4 little side windows for the 2 bay windows (not shown) and the 3 dormers.

This is really adorable, Claudia! I can't wait to see what you do with the inside! 

2 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

This is really adorable, Claudia! I can't wait to see what you do with the inside! 

Jodi, hopefully you can see it in person at the Puyallup Fair, at the Hobby Hall. :) I've been making a lot of furniture to go inside. 

• Like 1