What's everyone working on?

5 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Yesterday I ran errands all day. For my dollhouse. I ran errands for my dollhouse all day. At the end of the day I thought....that's actually kind of weird. Who's the boss here anyway.....

I'd mark this day in your diary for future generations. How many grandmothers can you name who can say they ran errands for their dollhouse? Beats the heck out of tales of canning peaches all hollow.

• Like 2

I've been grouting the stone basement of the San Franciscan.. It's taken all day and I've only done two of the three walls with the largest one left... Can't say I love the look either.. it's a bit messy for me.. I guess my grouting technique is less than perfect.. It was the most frustrating day... I think it's safe to say, grouting is not my favourite dollhouse project. :D 

I guess the stone is going to have a more rustic feel than originally intended. :giggle:

I just today finally finished the exterior of my Dura Craft VM 800, after almost 40 years of construction! The last touch was a carport on the left side as you face it, for the family's pink mustang, with a greenhouse/potting shed on its roof.

Their other 2 cars are a 1931 silver phantom II Rolls Royce, and a silver mustang convertible with a little Schnauser in the front seat, just like mine!

The kitchen and porches are all finished and furnished, so now the living room, dining room and "music room" (1st floor tower room) are next! Yay!

I'd love to show photos, but I don't know how to attach them from my iPad--no "real" computer.

For those of you within driving distance  of Nashville, there will be a Three Blind Mice miniature show here Sept 8 and 9!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tiaannabelle's Mom said:

I just today finally finished the exterior of my Dura Craft VM 800, after almost 40 years of construction! The last touch was a carport on the left side as you face it, for the family's pink mustang, with a greenhouse/potting shed on its roof.

Their other 2 cars are a 1931 silver phantom II Rolls Royce, and a silver mustang convertible with a little Schnauser in the front seat, just like mine!

The kitchen and porches are all finished and furnished, so now the living room, dining room and "music room" (1st floor tower room) are next! Yay!

I'd love to show photos, but I don't know how to attach them from my iPad--no "real" computer.

For those of you within driving distance  of Nashville, there will be a Three Blind Mice miniature show here Sept 8 and 9!

I'm going to the show. I have family in Nolensville and Brentwood. I can't wait.

• Like 1

I picked up my Fairfield the upgrade kit and some oher stuff for it at the US border today before I went to see my husband so I guess I may be  opening those boxes tonight, lots of sanding I understand, can I use a dremel?

Oh and though I picked up nearly $300 worth of assorted stuff in the US parcel office the Canadian border man  just waved me on and said have a nice day after I told him I had bought a dollhouse for myself.  no duty, not taxes just have a nice day.

• Like 3

I've been trouble shooting my electrical situation and have come to the conclusion it was that STINKIN' junction splice thingy. UGH! I have been in such a funk. Not wanting to work on the house (But still shopping). I haven't even wanted to take pictures of the interior paper to share because I just felt so defeated.

In the meantime I have been making upholstered furniture. Some of it is fair, some is a little embarrassing! I'll have to dust off the camera and share my results.

Thanks for listening.

• Like 2

in perusing the webs tonight I came across this image ...has anyone seen this before?  We had talked sometime before about bash two San Franciscans together and this just popped up...it looks like the add on for the newport ...thoughts?

c3b736a36632f6c700b6af5f56b693cd--miniature-dollhouse-house-exteriors.jpg

in perusing the webs tonight I came across this image ...has anyone seen this before?  We had talked sometime before about bash two San Franciscans together and this just popped up...it looks like the add on for the newport ...thoughts?

11 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

I've been trouble shooting my electrical situation and have come to the conclusion it was that STINKIN' junction splice thingy. UGH! I have been in such a funk. Not wanting to work on the house (But still shopping). I haven't even wanted to take pictures of the interior paper to share because I just felt so defeated.

In the meantime I have been making upholstered furniture. Some of it is fair, some is a little embarrassing! I'll have to dust off the camera and share my results.

Thanks for listening.

I HATE those junction splice thingies!  They are the bane of my existence.  I got a power supply kit from CR2S (it takes the place of the junction splice), but so far I've been afraid to try it.  It looks so simple in the video, but I worry that I'll mess things up and then none of my lights will work.  And I know it's so frustrating when the wiring doesn't go well, and you think you can't move on until it's fixed, so you're stuck.  Please share photos of your furniture.  It's fun to see what other people make, and maybe you'll feel a little less stuck when you take the photos and realize how much you really have accomplished.  :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

LOL Snap!.. This is me too!.. I was almost in tears earlier today and ready to throw the whole basement addition in the bin when I couldn't get one of my coach lights to work... it's all installed with the wiring running under the stonework in the most meandering path possible! I thought I might have cut it accidentally when I was removing and re-gluing an uncooperative stone that just happened to be right over the wire run... I was having a small (ok big) hissy fit and getting ready to rip all my stone work off when my DH said, is the bulb tightened? :doh: 

I'm also finding the grouting process reeeeaaalllly tedious which would be ok if I was liking the results but....no.... I also had papering problems so I completely understand the defeated feeling Carrie. And I'm definitely not taking pictures of the mess that is the grouting!.. lol... how embarrassing! 

So I've been procrastinating about working on the house and consoling myself with much mini shopping and then feeling bad because I'm spending money I should be saving for our annual ski vacation.. first world problems much??:shy:  I need to get a grip!! :rofl:

Hugs in solidarity for the frustrations, mini sisters (and brothers)! We've all been exactly where you are! Not only did I re-do the hearth and fireplace on the New Orleans twice, I have now done two sets of stairs and the first floor is still not over! Changes to the floor plan and an issue with sliding the chimney breast out behind the ceiling decorations is forcing me to have to re-do the ceiling, too. I wonder what hell I will create for myself when I start the kitchen install. Oh well, that's life in miniature, and that is why I am concurrently working on the Christmas Cottage. It's about going with the creative flow and not having to be so perfectionistic. (that's a word, right?) When I need a break from the challenging frou-frou, I can work on it. Good luck with the grout, Sam - give it a few days and the solution will come. And Carrie - do not be afraid to share! Everyone here has had a disappointing result in spite of time and money spent, so we are here to encourage, support, laugh or cry with you!

• Like 1

Frustration over here, too! The newer rug I had started will be too small for where I was going to use it, so I had to go back to the pattern and tweak that to make it bigger. Then when I cut new canvas and started working, I got almost to the end of one long column of stitching when I realized I had stitched them facing the wrong direction! I was semi-distracted at the time, because I was at a party with relatives, and since I'm not a big talker or golf watcher, I was sitting with my latest. It was only as I looked at it more closely and finally realized WHY the stitching had felt awkward, that I realized what I'd done. Sigh. Will have to rip out the bad stitches and start again. And to make things even better, I just tweaked my back and it's hurting quite a bit. Luckily, it usually gets better in a few days, but until then, ugh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

I HATE those junction splice thingies!  They are the bane of my existence.  I got a power supply kit from CR2S (it takes the place of the junction splice), but so far I've been afraid to try it.  It looks so simple in the video, but I worry that I'll mess things up and then none of my lights will work.  And I know it's so frustrating when the wiring doesn't go well, and you think you can't move on until it's fixed, so you're stuck.  Please share photos of your furniture.  It's fun to see what other people make, and maybe you'll feel a little less stuck when you take the photos and realize how much you really have accomplished.  :)

Fear not going to CRS2! Way better than junction splice. Basically you are adding an adaptor using a direct wire. Once you have a black wire in one color of tape and red wire in the other, you insert the other ends into the adaptor, you're done!

• Like 2

I finally have pictures of the doors for the casetta.

This is the front door as it originally looked. It's hinged on the right side (facing the door). My front door opening is between the bay window and the side wall, and the top trim on this door made it too large to fit in this space, even if I had cut the door opening the correct size!

599472b651d56_frontdoorasitwasbought.thu

This is the front door (the front of it) after I got my grimy little hands on it. It now hinges on the left side. I still need a small piece of wood to cover the spot where the door panels meet. It obviously needs some trim put back on, too. On the bottom of the sill, you can see the hole for the rod that goes through both door panels. Originally, that was on the right side.When I flipped the sill over, I had to make a new hole for the rod.

599472ad7436e_frontdoor.thumb.jpg.79f9de

And I got this plank door for the back. This one fits a 3/8" offset, so I don't know if I'm going to take the trim off of this one.

599472a3db456_backdoor.thumb.jpg.fe8337b

Got my final pics of the 1:6 scale house uploaded. Have plans tomorrow(technically later today) to head back out to the shop with my pup and have a day of finalizing another house as well as checking to see how many blessed more egg carton bricks I'm going to need to cut for my Lawbre Nantucket. Have to say I've not cut egg carton anything before, and it does take a bit. Had to laugh last night as my right hand turned nearly black after sitting with my Xacto knife for too long -- and this is with me taking potassium and iron supplements. Apparently I'm not taking enough...
Also worked on cleaning a bit more of my inside work desk, and am hoping to finish up my Plum Pudding rehab soon. OH, and my really bright side for the day besides setting some of the money aside from the sale of the Barbie house I was able to treat myself to a fairly cheap dollhouse lot on the Goodwill site which contained a Braxton Payne Colonial fireplace. Has a touch of damage on the mantel, but am hoping once it gets here I can touch it up and center my Nantucket kitchen around it! Slowly but surely picking out my finishes and wallpapers for the Nantucket, once I get finished stripping it of the old finishes -- I can see it going together pretty quickly!

4 hours ago, minikelli said:

...me taking potassium and iron supplements. Apparently I'm not taking enough...

Because excess potassium will mess with your heart and excess iron will also do a nasty number on your body's innards, PLEASE let your doctor determine what is a safe level for you to take, and don't take more than that.

• Like 1

Been working on my brick Colonial rehab some more....finished installing the coach lights (geez my soldering skills still suck!),put up wallpaper liner which will then be painted, began work on painting the window trim and finished the front door.  I ordered one of the custom brass door knockers from Ron Stetkewicz (I saw him a the Philly show) and it is just wonderful!!  I had also ordered a box lock for the front door, but it is also pretty awesome, so I am going to hoard it away to use on one of MY houses and use one of the box locks from my stash.  :)   The door looks pretty amazing with its new blue paint and brass accents!  I posted a couple of pics in my gallery last nite, if you'd like to see it.

Waiting for the client to send me some bathroom light fixtures, so I will keep plugging away at painting trim and walls.....

But FIRST: a week vacation in Boothbay Harbor, Maine!!  :cucumber:   Hubby talked our girls into coming along, so the girls and my grandbaby will with us! Yay! Sorry guys.  :/

• Like 1

Thank you for your concern Holly, I'm actually taking the supplements I am b/c of the Dr's orders. I wouldn't honestly change up what I'm taking w/o talking to them first. I was started on these specifically b/c of how incredibly low both levels were. None the less, Lucy Belle and I have already been out and cutting more egg carton brick. Hoping we'll also age some of the shingles that will go on one section of the house today, all while removing more off the top to be replaced eventually with properly done shingles. lol