What's everyone working on?

6 hours ago, jbnmini said:

...The door looks pretty amazing with its new blue paint and brass accents!  I posted a couple of pics in my gallery last nite...

It does, indeed!  I am a big fan of BLUE front doors.

5 hours ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

Curious about what you don't like about the Fairfield kit now that you have it, since I was thinking about getting that kit this winter?

I am also curious, especially since you got the upgrades for it.

3 hours ago, minikelli said:

Thank you for your concern Holly, I'm actually taking the supplements I am b/c of the Dr's orders. I wouldn't honestly change up what I'm taking w/o talking to them first. I was started on these specifically b/c of how incredibly low both levels were. None the less, Lucy Belle and I have already been out and cutting more egg carton brick. Hoping we'll also age some of the shingles that will go on one section of the house today, all while removing more off the top to be replaced eventually with properly done shingles. lol

Kelli, that's just the old nurse in me.  I figured the supplements were doctor-ordered.  Mine has me on extra calcium and Synthroid.

• Like 1

Jeannine,  I wish you lived close enough that we could get together to play minis, you could bring your kit over to my workshop and I could help you sand your kit parts.  I sand what needs it as I dry fit and I take my time because I have arthritis in my hands & wrists and sanding is a chore; but I let it relax me and chat with the kit whilst I do a bit here & there.

• Like 1

I would gladly sand for you, too bad we live so far away Jeannine.  I think the task is kind of overwhelming when looking at the whole kit, but sometimes it is just light sanding a few pieces at a time as you fit them together.

I feel like I have made major headway on my stump fairy house.  I spent weeks drilling and chiseling out the excess wood, I hadn't quite realized how much there still was to be removed.  All that drilling and chiseling left extremely rough walls, so a huge amount of sanding was staring me in the face, in a less then accessible place.  I tried out using a drill with a rasp fitting, tried the dremel with one of the cutters thinking it may even out the gouges, but finally hit on the angle grinder with a sanding disk, I use them to trim the pony and donkey feet, or I did until a few years ago, now there are finally some farriers in the area.  The grinder made short work of smoothing out the biggest part of the inside.  The next step was supposed to be to cut a front opening that would be hinged, but it occurred to me that the roofline should be determined first so they don't interfere with each other.  I mulled on the whole roof for 3 days, trying to decide on a roof type, I finally decided I would prefer a round roof, or closer to the point an oval.  Then it took me a while to figure out the whole rafter thing, I finally have it all pictured in my head now and will start the construction of the rafters tomorrow.  The fact that the top opening is not level caused some consternation at first, the back is higher then the front.  It will make it so that I will have to do each rafter slightly different as the oval goes around, but not unmanageable hopefully.  I am planning a dormer in the front, in the more steeply inclined top part of the roof.  If it all works out as planned the first part of the roof will be like a brim of a hat, and then go up steeply in a point with maybe a curled part on the end.  

I may have a go later down the road but I have three strikes against me..I am quite disabled and sanding for even a few minutes is hard, maybe with a dremel but hand sanding this amount is impossible. Some woods I have al allergy to, if I lean my wrists and forearms on un painted MDF and some plywood eg I break out in severe hives ,I am told it is the glue they are bonded with, the dust is OK in small amounts but if a  lot I get an ashma attack, even outside and with a mask, I can get the dust on my hands but on my arms it makes me break out, Generaly I am ok as I am not dealing with much but the Fairfield house is probably not doable for me. I will hang onto it , and I did buy three others  the week before which   are probably the same.

All the new replacement bits for my Victorias Farmhouse came to day and they are lovely so I will enjoy working on that ,I think I have pretty much everything for it now., just got to come up with colors after I get those odd pieces of trim off.

• Like 1

I have them all the time, I have a latex allergy anyway and carry an epipen for that so always have nitrile gloves in my handbag everywhere I go, I am ok doing say the House on Miniatures kits as I work slowly and don't raise much dust and I have been fine handling the MDF I have been working on for the last few months but I have had no sanding on the MDF to  do. I don't wear gloves when I am working on the houses but I have do have elbow to wrist cotton cuffs that I use to prevent my arms touching the wood. Once it is sealed I am Ok though, it is the same with anything made of MDF or ply even a bookcase for the house, I can't let the unfinished areas touch my skin apart from my hands. Regular wood doesn't seem to bother me, it just seems to be manufactured woods, but it is no big deal most of the time, I have learned ways round it.

• Like 2

I Will be participating as a vendor on a Swedish mini fair later the fall so right Now 7I am having funtrying out New things to bring with me. As these succulents:large.IMG_0691.JPG.8e456a7601ba0690df98e

• Like 3

Anna, that excites me to hear that for you! As for me today I was planning on working on my chandelier repairs, but got sidetracked by a need to get magazines shelved. Namely in that I have had two boxes in the last two weeks of older Nutshell News, Miniature Collector, Dollhouse Miniatures, etc show up. One of my friends was downsizing and threatened to pitch them -- as I am a lover of the written word, I said I'd take them off her hands. Little did I realize just how many I would have show up... So the majority of my day was spent digging through my new to me magazines, setting aside what duplicates I have found that I already own, and trying to find a way to get all of these with my miniature related books on one set of shelving. To say the least I'll be getting back to that later, as I'm just whipped now. Bright side though, I did locate an article which led me to whom the artisan of one of my pieces is! So that was definitely nice. Meanwhile, it's time for me to try for an hour or two of sleep if I can manage it.

Jeannine, do be careful and take care of yourself that you don't get sick with your sanding please.  :)

• Like 2

I'm in the County Fair Season again - starting #4 for this month on Wednesday.  I finally finished the Grapeview Bed and Breakfast, took pictures last Wednesday the morning, packed my bag, left town and worked through yesterday in Port Angeles.  So proud of DH for finding the perfect spot for the photo shoot - outdoors by our gorgeous cedar trees!  He took our recycle bin out there, leveled it and covered it, and it was perfect!  Then, two days after I left town, he took it to the Hobby Hall at the State Fairgrounds and submitted it for me. All by himself!  So proud of him! :clap:

Here she is ... 

large.599b874bb6df0_Finished01Aug162017(large.599b874e76011_Finished10(Copy).jpg

There are few more pix in my gallery. 

• Like 6

Wow you did a lot of work right there at the end.. It looks lovely. And the photo shoot location is perfect!  :) I want to hang out in that back garden. 

Thank you, one and all!  This is my first build in the 1:48 scale - and I do believe I like it!  However, I soon realized I had ZILCH in extra supplies!  No stash in this scale!  I made most of the furniture. And this is equivalent to the O-gauge trains.  Hmmm ... could be some fun in that!  

8 hours ago, CheckMouse said:

...I made most of the furniture...

Were the dining room chairs a kit?  Otherwise, how did you make their backs?  I'm still trying to figure out intricate wooden chair backs in 1:12!

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Several sheets in my Glencroft kit were like that; I used a lot of wood glue to put them back together.

The house must have been in storage a long time.   The builder left it raw, guess he/she didn't want to decorate it.  It's in pretty goid shape overall, but thin pieces are crumbling.  Nothing a bit of spackle and paint cant hide. Lol

I'm trying to think where I went wrong. I think it was when someone gave me a little metal dollhouse for Christmas one year...

So today the little etagere arrived from China. Yes, it's the same one at HBS and I don't like to give my money to countries overseas, but it only cost about $6 with the shipping and I figured all the HBS ones are made in China anyway.

Of course it came in the wrong color. I was supposed to get a walnut one and this one is cherry. Whatever. For those who haven't seen it, it's a three cornered set of stacked shelves. Naturally, the corner leg was longer than the others, so it slanted. I decided to cut it off. Of course I cut off too much so now it slants the other way. But! When I put it in the corner of the shadowbox, the back goes right against the wall and you can't see that it slopes. So it works out and really makes the room. Not so much the grandfather clock.

Lisa had given me an old (1975) grandfather clock kit and I thought I'd stick this in the shadowbox living room next to the TV. Right, and I can still hear the miniature gods laughing their collective little a$$es off.

I finally get this clock together (it's actually a very nice clock) and it's too tall for the room. So I cut down the case and it clears the ceiling, but NOT the ceiling trim! So now this grandfather clock has to stand out from the wall about 3/4".

I tried putting it in the corner, which looked really good. Unfortunately, that meant that instead of the chair and the TV balancing each other diagonally across the room, they were both front and center. And with both the clock and the etagere in each corner, the whole room looked off.

So the clock is out. The chair goes back in the corner and and I think I'll put a table and lamp next to it. I already have the lamp picked out, but trying to find a small end table for a decent (read: cheap) price is driving me to distraction. Anyway, I'll have to see how tomorrow goes. Some not so good things are happening here and I don't know if I'll find time to work on a chair kit or not. If I do and I get it done and in the bedroom, I'll take some more pictures.

On 8/16/2017, 1:15:29, miniaddicted said:

Fear not going to CRS2! Way better than junction splice. Basically you are adding an adaptor using a direct wire. Once you have a black wire in one color of tape and red wire in the other, you insert the other ends into the adaptor, you're done!

I finally got brave enough to try it this morning, and I love it!!!!  It's so easy, and once it's in, it's in.  I was so worried I would mess up the wiring in my house, but it actually works so much better than that awful junction splice, which always seemed to be working itself slightly loose.  I got the special piece that allows to turn it off and on, and I am absolutely thrilled with it.  Thank you, thank you for your encouragement!